Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,031 members, 7,818,043 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:50 AM

Peak Milk Shows RUGA Isn’t Needed In Southern And Western Nigeria - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Peak Milk Shows RUGA Isn’t Needed In Southern And Western Nigeria (668 Views)

The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna / Buhari Offers Another Form Of RUGA In 109 Senatorial Districts In Nigeria / RUGA Vs Ranching: What's The Difference? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Peak Milk Shows RUGA Isn’t Needed In Southern And Western Nigeria by prof2007: 10:31am On Jul 10, 2019
Peak Milk’s latest business move in Niger State has reopened discussion regarding the Rural Grazing Area (RUGA) settlements for Fulani Herdsmen which was proposed by President Muhammadu Buhari.

Acquisition of hectares of land by the dairy company in the Northern State renewed the debate that there’s enough room for Fulani Herdsmen to rear their cattle in the Northern region rather than seeking portion of hectares in the Southern and Western States.

The Federal Government had proposed the RUGA scheme as a solution to the constant clashes between Fulani herdsmen and farmers in the South-East due to the destruction of farmlands and killing of cows. However, the move was widely rejected in regions outside the North.

The cattle rearers were informed to purchase land and operate as a business entity in the form of ‘ranch’ rather than being awarded land acquired by the Federal Government. This renewed the debate as to the economic value the resettlement will add to Nigeria’s economy.

While the RUGA scheme has been suspended by the President Buhari led-administration, the dust, however, hasn’t settled. The planned acquisition of 1,000-hectares of land by the subsidiary of Friesland Campina revived the discuss, with some people suggesting that Peak Milk has shown how the Fulani herdsmen should operate. The development also suggests that there’s unused land of about 45,000 hectares for the RUGA scheme in Niger State alone.

Peak Milk has approached the govt of Niger state to invest in a 1,000-hectare reserve for milking. Niger state is twice the size of the entire South-East and has 45,000 hectares for RUGA. Animal farmers will be contracted to supply cow milk to Peak's Abuja factory for processing. pic.twitter.com/NDBQDI7Ijb — ᴏᴍᴀsᴏʀᴏ ᴀʟɪ ᴏᴠɪᴇ™☤ (@ovieali) July 7, 2019

Just want people to understand that there's no need to move RUGA to the South East when Niger has all the land. Nigeria should learn to preserve the beef after slaughter,then move it by train to other regions with a little add-on price. — ᴏᴍᴀsᴏʀᴏ ᴀʟɪ ᴏᴠɪᴇ™☤ (@ovieali) July 7, 2019

Though the tweet generated counter-argument among his followers, it was agreed that the land mass in the North is enough to serve the Fulani Herdsmen.

I agree, served in Minna, Niger state is like a country of its own small trip from Minna to Bida was like a journey of a million miles. So much unused land mass — UncleRume (@RumeKhan) July 8, 2019

The initiative is laudable. Just as you said, SE has no land mass for RUGA, Sambisa forest alone is bigger than 3 States of the SE. Do cow rearing where the lands exist and sell to us just like onions, tomatoes, carrots, beans etc. — Greatful to God (@OzoNnamdi) July 7, 2019

The northern part of Nigeria has the potential to supply the whole world with Cow meat, milk, hides & skin etc. If things are done properly the nation would soon be depending on the north for a lot of agricultural products. — seun kazim (@dr_ojigwe007) July 7, 2019

I think people need to be properly educated about what RUGA is all about…majority were misinformed by the opposition playing politics — Kolawole Ayinla (@Kola230) July 7, 2019

They should move it to Niger. Atleast we will be known for something � — Marshmellow�� (@Rookayerh) July 7, 2019

I choose to keep quiet over this. Peak milk is already investing in Niger state. Is this not one of the positives of RUGA? Well what do I know? If I talk now they will say I am Pro-Buhari. I am pro-development And anti-backward ness — Uyiharry (@Uyiharry3) July 8, 2019

good..keep RUGA in the North. The South will also focus on our strength. This is better. let each region develop as it sees fit. Don't force anything on the other region. — Byolar (@Panthera38) July 8, 2019

Good idea, only if the Govt would allow private investors to buy into the RUGA stuffs then citizens confidence can be guaranteed in the Process… But when it's Govt, so many insinuation, interest and perception will come to the fore — Nwachukwu emeka mych (@Emekamych) July 8, 2019

SOURCE: https://nairametrics.com/2019/07/08/peak-milk-shows-ruga-isnt-needed-in-southern-and-western-nigeria/

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How To Make Over 450k In 7months With An Investment Of 150k / Agribusiness And Funding Training / 2.5 Tons & 3 Tons Bus Available For Hiring To Any Location In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.