Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,296 members, 7,957,752 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 07:12 PM

Flagyl And Tetracycline Are Not First Aid For Diarrhea – Aproko Doctor - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Flagyl And Tetracycline Are Not First Aid For Diarrhea – Aproko Doctor (25065 Views)

Alcohol After Taking Flagyl Could Lead To Death - Dr. Olufunmilayo / Remove Camphor From Your Newborns, It Causes Jaundice – Aproko Doctor / Emeka Has Syphilis, A Short Story By Aproko Doctor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flagyl And Tetracycline Are Not First Aid For Diarrhea – Aproko Doctor by nwanyionitsha: 2:29pm On Aug 11, 2019
CheapDataGuy:
Don't know of Regards but flygyl na life saver.

Been using it and it's been working for me
Me too.
Re: Flagyl And Tetracycline Are Not First Aid For Diarrhea – Aproko Doctor by JuanDeDios: 2:30pm On Aug 11, 2019
Angelfrost:
Ironically, it's most of your fellow doctors that compound the issue of antibiotics resistance... Nigeria is one of the few countries where "trained" medical doctors prescribe antibiotics for flu and common cold symptoms especially in pediatric cases. Same thing for self-limiting oto-infections...

The case of metronidazole use in non-complicated diarrhea is an age long abuse that will be difficult to curb, mostly due to the constipation-inducing side-effect of the drug (which most mistake as the main therapeutic effect).
Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Flagyl And Tetracycline Are Not First Aid For Diarrhea – Aproko Doctor by naijadrivablog: 2:32pm On Aug 11, 2019
Most Nigerians take it, especially while traveling grin

2 Likes

Re: Flagyl And Tetracycline Are Not First Aid For Diarrhea – Aproko Doctor by Odingo1: 2:33pm On Aug 11, 2019
123marky:
cool
All this yahoo boys and scammers, una nodey tire self
Re: Flagyl And Tetracycline Are Not First Aid For Diarrhea – Aproko Doctor by fergie001: 2:39pm On Aug 11, 2019
Yewandequeen:
This will be hard to stop cos majority first means of stopping diarrhea is Flagyl.

Little did many know that Soaking garri or eating bread also helps.
Hahahahahahaha.....this babe, you are correct igboro.....

Na diswan I dey use grin grin grin
Re: Flagyl And Tetracycline Are Not First Aid For Diarrhea – Aproko Doctor by meetmeonline: 2:42pm On Aug 11, 2019
If you never knew that both of them were antibiotics (until now), gather here and LIKE THIS COMMENT

1 Like

Re: Flagyl And Tetracycline Are Not First Aid For Diarrhea – Aproko Doctor by EmmyDJourno: 2:43pm On Aug 11, 2019
I have both drugs in my Bags to work, gym, hangout wherever, cause that Runny Stomach is a respecter of no man. Time and place no dey him timetable embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Flagyl And Tetracycline Are Not First Aid For Diarrhea – Aproko Doctor by Nobody: 2:45pm On Aug 11, 2019
If diarrhoea lasts more than 2 days, it might be food poisoning.
I use Imodium. That is the drug u use in treating diarrhoea.
Surprisingly, our Drs don't prescribe this

The way we abuse antibiotics in naija is something else.
Thanks to quack medical personnels and self medication.
Enough kidney failure is on the increase
Re: Flagyl And Tetracycline Are Not First Aid For Diarrhea – Aproko Doctor by Sterope(f): 2:46pm On Aug 11, 2019
You don't need to take Flagyl everyday to develop resistance. Antibiotics resistance is on the rise. You can't predict when you will have a life threatening condition and it might be to late to find one that would work. Thank goodness you live in Nigeria and Nigeria is not known for its quality health services.

So continue taking Flagyl at your risk.

Odingo1:
Nonsense, Flagyl na koko, just one tablet you are back to factory setting.
Re: Flagyl And Tetracycline Are Not First Aid For Diarrhea – Aproko Doctor by nwamabo247(m): 2:48pm On Aug 11, 2019
both drugs has been my saveing grace due to the bowel incontinence asociated with my condition.i.e spinal injure.please guys still looking for your helps.no matter how small.
Re: Flagyl And Tetracycline Are Not First Aid For Diarrhea – Aproko Doctor by subcbouy: 2:49pm On Aug 11, 2019
Sunnybabe:
ftc
Go take parnasharp pills. Una de win award for this?
Re: Flagyl And Tetracycline Are Not First Aid For Diarrhea – Aproko Doctor by AngelicBeing: 2:56pm On Aug 11, 2019
Amuocha:
Mynd44 sef shocked

Add Agbo jedi and smallie shocked shocked shocked
Hian, Agbo jedi ke, be careful of drinking Aisha Osinbajo Buhari Agbo jedi oo, don't harm your internal organs with that nonsense but rather take 3 bottles of Legend stout plus Nkwobi or fried goat meat, your diahorrea will Kpeme sharp, sharp grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Flagyl And Tetracycline Are Not First Aid For Diarrhea – Aproko Doctor by crackhouse(m): 3:02pm On Aug 11, 2019
OgbanjeProphet:
Useless Aproko doctor! Ask am any question at all, he will never answer you. Just be yaning rubbish for twitter.

he's busy surfing the net and giving us what he got online. This type of Doctor will run to Google when u come to his hospital for treatment

1 Like

Re: Flagyl And Tetracycline Are Not First Aid For Diarrhea – Aproko Doctor by dohyn(m): 3:05pm On Aug 11, 2019
No. The problem is being able to walk into any pharmacy or "chemist " to purchase these drugs without a prescription in Nigeria.
If a law is made to prevent this,we won't see the abuse of these drugs again.

Angelfrost:
Ironically, it's most of your fellow doctors that compound the issue of antibiotics resistance... Nigeria is one of the few countries where "trained" medical doctors prescribe antibiotics for flu and common cold symptoms especially in pediatric cases. Same thing for self-limiting oto-infections...

The case of metronidazole use in non-complicated diarrhea is an age long abuse that will be difficult to curb, mostly due to the constipation-inducing side-effect of the drug (which most mistake as the main therapeutic effect).

1 Like

Re: Flagyl And Tetracycline Are Not First Aid For Diarrhea – Aproko Doctor by Jabioro: 3:05pm On Aug 11, 2019
No qualms..flaggl na active drug wey sure pass..
Re: Flagyl And Tetracycline Are Not First Aid For Diarrhea – Aproko Doctor by Chiemeka1: 3:07pm On Aug 11, 2019
If they are not first aid, then second aid.

1 Like

Re: Flagyl And Tetracycline Are Not First Aid For Diarrhea – Aproko Doctor by seunH: 3:08pm On Aug 11, 2019
Angelfrost:

You are right sir to an extent but I kind of disagree with the last part when you said "due to the constipation-inducing side-effect of the drug which most mistake as the main therapeutic effect". Metronidazole is an antibiotic that has affinity for gut microbes. When these microbes attack the gut, they elicit inflammatory reactions which damage the gut mucosa especially the villi which is responsible for absorbing fluid and nutrients from food, hence the gut would lose capacity to hold food for long, leading to diarrhea. When metronidazole is administered, these gut microbes are destroyed and this leads to cessation of inflammatory reaction thereby allowing for regeneration of the gut mucosa and villi.

4 Likes

Re: Flagyl And Tetracycline Are Not First Aid For Diarrhea – Aproko Doctor by Nobody: 3:09pm On Aug 11, 2019
Sterope:

You don't need to take Flagyl everyday to develop resistance. Antibiotics resistance is on the rise. You can't predict when you will have a life threatening condition and it might be to late to find one that would work. Thank goodness you live in Nigeria and Nigeria is not known for its quality health services.

So continue taking Flagyl at your risk.

U don't really blame them honestly.
And it's always very hard to let go of what u are used to when there is no alternative provided.
That Dr should have told them what to use or do if diarrhoea persists.

1 Like

Re: Flagyl And Tetracycline Are Not First Aid For Diarrhea – Aproko Doctor by Reference(m): 3:16pm On Aug 11, 2019
The problem in Africa and most parts of the undeveloped world is sanitation. If sanitary facilities were up to scratch and widely available then folks won't worry that much. Why people take those antibiotics is more for convenience rather than health. Imagine getting stuck in traffic... where are the public conveniences.

3 Likes

Re: Flagyl And Tetracycline Are Not First Aid For Diarrhea – Aproko Doctor by Angelfrost(m): 3:18pm On Aug 11, 2019
seunH:
You are right sir to an extent but I kind of disagree with the last part when you said "due to the constipation-inducing side-effect of the drug which most mistake as the main therapeutic effect". Metronidazole is an antibiotic that has affinity for gut microbes. When these microbes attack the gut, they elicit inflammatory reactions which damage the gut mucosa especially the villi which is responsible for absorbing fluid and nutrients from food, hence the gut would lose capacity to hold food for long, leading to diarrhea. When metronidazole is administered, these gut microbes are destroyed and this leads to cessation of inflammatory reaction thereby allowing for regeneration of the gut mucosa and villi.

Thank you... You simply provided further clarification to my simple statement. However, not every intestinal motility issue is microbe-related. Some are drug-induced, and even anxiety-induced. Taking flagyl for the latter is simply abuse... This is why an anti-motility medication like Loperamide should be first-line till infection is proven.

3 Likes

Re: Flagyl And Tetracycline Are Not First Aid For Diarrhea – Aproko Doctor by aksule(m): 3:20pm On Aug 11, 2019
Almost all drugs now have for one reason or the other deemed to be harmful to human beings. Just as we are doing with electronics so also drugs. Old and new models. One way or the other, it seems we lose.

1 Like

Re: Flagyl And Tetracycline Are Not First Aid For Diarrhea – Aproko Doctor by uwa244(m): 3:21pm On Aug 11, 2019
JuanDeDios:

You people don't understand the problem - no, crisis - of the antibiotics resistance that is emerging; that's why you're attacking him. I doubt you even know what antibiotics are much less their pharmacology. The doc is not saying antibotics don't work. He's saying they work too much. He's saying that using antibiotics for the common diarrhoea is wrong because (1) It's like using an AK-47 to kill a cockroach (2) You're contributing to the problem of antibiotic resistance IN THE LONG TERM. There are simpler meds you can use that will work just as well - if you feel you must take meds.

The day you get bitten by a nasty bug or catch an infection and all the antibiotics in the market refuse to work on your system, you will understand.
Kudos for the breakdown.

1 Like

Re: Flagyl And Tetracycline Are Not First Aid For Diarrhea – Aproko Doctor by Sunnybabe(m): 3:23pm On Aug 11, 2019
mallamnari:

Not so fast dude, try next week
grin
Re: Flagyl And Tetracycline Are Not First Aid For Diarrhea – Aproko Doctor by Angelfrost(m): 3:25pm On Aug 11, 2019
dohyn:
No. The problem is being able to walk into any pharmacy or "chemist " to purchase these drugs without a prescription in Nigeria.
If a law is made to prevent this,we won't see the abuse of these drugs again.

Did you actually miss the part where I said "trained doctors prescribe"?.. You are right that chemists and Pharmacies don't help matters, but I have it on good authority that a lot of physicians here don't approach treatment or therapy systematically. Some don't even bother with proper investigations...

I don't put the blames solely on any quarter... The issue begins and centers mostly around poor regulation. There is an international healthcare guideline that we don't bother to follow.
Re: Flagyl And Tetracycline Are Not First Aid For Diarrhea – Aproko Doctor by Sterope(f): 3:27pm On Aug 11, 2019
He already offered another solution. Ask the Pharmacist not Chemist for anti diarrhea drugs which are not going to be antibiotics.

sassysure:

U don't really blame them honestly.
And it's always very hard to let go of what u are used to when there is no alternative provided.
That Dr should have told them what to use or do if diarrhoea persists.
Re: Flagyl And Tetracycline Are Not First Aid For Diarrhea – Aproko Doctor by Sunnybabe(m): 3:27pm On Aug 11, 2019
subcbouy:
Go take parnasharp pills. Una de win award for this?
u dull b4 abi wetin una won take parnasharp for ; undecided....

abt the award, I didn't know oo, would have confirm that today... but I am still not FTC
Re: Flagyl And Tetracycline Are Not First Aid For Diarrhea – Aproko Doctor by seunH: 3:30pm On Aug 11, 2019
Angelfrost:

Thank you... You simply provided further clarification to my simple statement. However, not every intestinal motility issue is microbe-related. Some are drug-induced, and even anxiety-induced. Taking flagyl for the latter is simply abuse... This is why an anti-motility medication like Loperamide should be first-line till infection is proven.
Very Very Correct sir
Re: Flagyl And Tetracycline Are Not First Aid For Diarrhea – Aproko Doctor by Flier: 4:26pm On Aug 11, 2019
JuanDeDios:

You people don't understand the problem - no, crisis - of the antibiotics resistance that is emerging; that's why you're attacking him. I doubt you even know what antibiotics are much less their pharmacology. The doc is not saying antibotics don't work. He's saying they work too much. He's saying that using antibiotics for the common diarrhoea is wrong because (1) It's like using an AK-47 to kill a cockroach (2) You're contributing to the problem of antibiotic resistance IN THE LONG TERM. There are simpler meds you can use that will work just as well - if you feel you must take meds.

The day you get bitten by a nasty bug or catch an infection and all the antibiotics in the market refuse to work on your system, you will understand.
Nonsense! Just don’t stop it anytime you have diarrhea
Infact you must try tetracycline or flagyl immediately you have diarrhea to confirm if it’s actually diarrhea or it’s a very serious problem so you can head straight to the hospital immediately
Re: Flagyl And Tetracycline Are Not First Aid For Diarrhea – Aproko Doctor by Legendguru: 4:56pm On Aug 11, 2019
hmmm

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

13 Out Of 1,000 Nigerians Are HIV Positive - NACA / Ondo Government Orders Closure Of All Markets / Osun Baby Of The Year: Hospital Defrauds Family Of Baby’s Gifts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.