Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,140 members, 7,835,819 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:27 PM

Who Do Men Say I Am?-jesus Christ Of Nazareth - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Do Men Say I Am?-jesus Christ Of Nazareth (210 Views)

TB Joshua Nazareth Crusade: New York Times Celebrates Prophet (Photos) / TB Joshua Crusade In Nazareth Israel: Churches, Islamic Cleric, Politicians Kick / Mayor Of Nazareth Hosts Prophet T.B Joshua In Israel(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Do Men Say I Am?-jesus Christ Of Nazareth by bingbagbo(m): 10:45am On Aug 11, 2019
The Lord Jesus Christ still loves you

I bought four sheep a few weeks ago, and decided to rear them, because of my love for animals. Before I have reared grasscutter, goats, rats, turkey, pangolin, snails and a lot more, just Want to emphasize my passion for animals.

I realised the sheep were relatively obedient. I began introducing them to my backyard so they get used to the place and also keep fit and healthy. I try as much as possible to Shepherd them so they don't go astray and of course so I don't lose the money I spent on purchasing them.

Yesterday, as usual, I released them into my backyard as they fed and I shepherded them. Before I could say jack, they had veered into a neighbours compound. I rushed there to drive them back to my house. I was successful in driving them from my voodoo practitioner neighbor's house but unfortunately they headed not for my house but right into town. I can't describe the stress, trauma and discomfort with which I pursued them. I was losing four sheep I had bought with hard earned cash, animals I so love meanwhile they cared less. One male and three pregnant females. By the grace of Jesus, I was able to apprehend the male and one female, left with two huge pregnant ewes, without a clue pertaining their whereabout.

I combed the entire town throughout the day but to no avail. In the evening, around 7PM, I had a call that they had been sighted somewhere, I invited a few friends to the said site, truly the two ewe were there, but we failed to get them. It was quite a depressing feel. I went to bed around 10PM very disappointed. I had virtually spent my entire day trying to recapture my beloved sheep, my hard earned investment. Very early this morning, I resumed my search. I was really tired, but was not ready to give up on them.

I combed the entire town again but to no avail, so I returned home very tired and heartbroken. It was then the Lord Jesus spoke to me. He told me I was going to find my sheep, he showed me where I would find them. He told me what I was experiencing has been his experience in his relationship with me. I nearly broke down, this story is not cooked, I tell you dear reader. It was then I reflected. I realised , the amount with which I purchased these animals was no where near the Lord paid for my salvation. The Lord actually bought me with his very blood,
'Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood' (Acts 20:28).

I thanked the Lord and went where the Lord showed me and behold, I found them. With the help of a few friends, I caught both sheep. This experience, uneasy though, yet has taught me a lot about faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Who do men say I am was a question Jesus asked His disciples and this question remains the most debated in theology to date.

Peter gave the right answer, You are the Christ.

But who is the Christ? Let dive into scripture with all objectivity.

Does the Bible, which is the earliest and most historically reliable source, actually say Jesus is God? What does it tell us about Jesus and His identity?

Let’s take a brief look at a few of the many passages that clearly and consistently answer that question, straight from the pages of Scripture. We’ll begin by going back an additional 700 years before the life of Christ, to the Old Testament book of Isaiah.

Jesus is God – Prophecies
Divine Messiah predicted in the Old Testament
Isaiah 7:14: “Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.”1

“Immanuel” literally means: “God with us.” See also Matthew 1:23; Jesus was “God with us.”

This Messiah would be born a human son, but have a higher nature
Isaiah 9:6: “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And He will be called Wonderful Counselor, [b]Mighty God, Everlasting Father, P[/b]rince of Peace.”

This was a radical statement coming from a monotheistic Jewish prophet -- especially calling a human being “Mighty God”; and everlasting Father but one that God fulfilled centuries later in Christ.

A couple hundred years later, but still more than half a millennium before Jesus walked the earth, more was predicted about the Messiah’s divine nature

Daniel 7:13-14: “There before me was one like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven . . . He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all peoples, nations and men of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed.”

“Son of Man” was the primary title Jesus used for Himself -- and this passage shows that this was a clear and strong claim of deity. And in Mark, the earliest of the four Gospels, He also included the unmistakable phrase, “coming on the clouds of heaven” and applied it to Himself (Mark 14:62). His listeners got the point, refused to believe it, and added it to their reasons to try to kill Him.

Jesus is God – His Earthly Ministry
The baby Jesus worshiped by the Magi
Matthew 2:11: “On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him.”

Along with being led to the site where Jesus was born, these Magi were apparently informed by God about Jesus’ divine identity, and so they responded appropriately by worshiping Him.

Jesus accepted worship from His disciples
Matthew 14:32-33: “And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, ‘Truly you are the Son of God.’”

In a Jewish culture, only the one true God can be worshiped; their actions show that they acknowledged Jesus as being the physical manifestation of God divine. And Jesus didn’t correct them or say, “Don’t you realize that I’m just a mortal prophet? Stop worshiping me!” Rather, He accepted their worship, knowing He really was God in human flesh.

Jesus’ claim about Himself
John 8:58-59: "‘I tell you the truth,’ Jesus answered, ‘before Abraham was born, I am!’ At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.”

This is a powerful double claim from Jesus: first, that He pre-existed His human birth and was actually alive and present (as God) before Abraham; second, that His title was “I am” -- which was the same title used for YHWH God in Exodus 3:14. His listeners again got the point, and picked up stones to execute Him!

Another of Jesus’ claims of deity
John 10:30-33: “‘I and the Father are one.’ Again the Jews picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus said to them, ‘I have shown you many great miracles from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?’ ‘We are not stoning you for any of these,’ replied the Jews, ‘but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.’”

It couldn’t be clearer than it is here: Jesus’ highly educated listeners understood His claim of deity. They only had two possible responses: to humble themselves and bow before Him as the Magi and the disciples had done earlier, or reject His claim and judge Him as a blasphemer. Unfortunately they chose the latter option. But notice that Jesus doesn’t argue with their accusation, because it was accurate. He really was claiming to be God!

Thomas’ response to the resurrected Jesus
John 20:27-29: “Then He said to Thomas, ‘Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.’ Thomas said to him, ‘My Lord and my God!’ Then Jesus told him, ‘Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.’"

This disciple realized, because of Jesus’ resurrection, who Jesus really was -- and humbly worshiped Him and declared His true identity: “My Lord and my God!” Jesus not only accepts this declaration, but blesses all of the disciples -- and all of us today -- who come to the same realization and place of humble worship.

True Christianity is Knowing who Jesus Christ is. Beloved, Jesus Christ is the only true God

Yes you heard me. And a true Christian is one that worships Christ. Jesus Christ is seated on the throne of Heaven. Hallelujah
Re: Who Do Men Say I Am?-jesus Christ Of Nazareth by bingbagbo(m): 8:21pm On Aug 13, 2019
Young's Literal Translation
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (YLT) because in him were the all things created, those in the heavens, and those upon the earth, those visible, and those invisible, whether thrones, whether lordships, whether principalities, whether authorities; all things through him, and for him, have been created,

Wycliffe
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (WYC) For in him all things be made, in heavens and in earth, visible and invisible, either thrones, either dominations, either princehoods, either powers, all things be made of nought by him, and in him,

Weymouth New Testament
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (WNT) For in Him was created the universe of things in heaven and on earth, things seen and things unseen, thrones, dominions, princedoms, powers--all were created, and exist through and for Him.

World English Bible
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (WEB) For by him were all things created, in the heavens and on the earth, things visible and things invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers; all things have been created through him, and to him.

The Webster Bible

Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (WBT) For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are upon earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

Tyndale
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (TYN) For by him were all thynges created thynges that are in heven and thynges that are in erth: thynges visible and thynges invisible: whether they be maieste or lordshippe ether rule or power. All thinges are creatyd by hym and in him

Third Millennium Bible w/ Apocrypha
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (TMBA) For by Him were all things created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones or dominions or principalities or powers: all things were created by Him and for Him.
Third Millennium Bible
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (TMB) For by Him were all things created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones or dominions or principalities or powers: all things were created by Him and for Him.
SBL Greek New Testament
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (SBLG) ὅτι ἐν αὐτῷ ἐκτίσθη τὰ πάντα ἐν τοῖς οὐρανοῖς καὶ ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς, τὰ ὁρατὰ καὶ τὰ ἀόρατα, εἴτε θρόνοι εἴτε κυριότητες εἴτε ἀρχαὶ εἴτε ἐξουσίαι · τὰ πάντα δι’ αὐτοῦ καὶ εἰς αὐτὸν ἔκτισται ·
Revised Standard Version w/ Apocrypha
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (RSVA) for in him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or authorities--all things were created through him and for him.
Revised Standard Version
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (RSV) for in him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or authorities--all things were created through him and for him.
Douay-Rheims Catholic Bible
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (RHE) For in him were all things created in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones, or dominations, or principalities, or powers. All things were created by him and in him.
Orthodox Jewish Bible
Chapter Parallel
Kehillah in Colossae 1:16 (OJB) Because in Him were created all things in Shomayim and on Ha’Aretz, the visible and the nistar (hidden), whether thrones or dominions, whether rulers or authorities, all things through Him and for Him have been created. [TEHILLIM 33:6]
New Revised Standard w/ Apocrypha
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (NRSA) for in him all things in heaven and on earth were created, things visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or powers—all things have been created through him and for him.
New Revised Standard
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (NRS) for in him all things in heaven and on earth were created, things visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or powers—all things have been created through him and for him.
New Living Translation
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (NLT) for through him God created everything in the heavenly realms and on earth. He made the things we can see and the things we can’t see— such as thrones, kingdoms, rulers, and authorities in the unseen world. Everything was created through him and for him.
New King James Version
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (NKJV) For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him.
New International Version
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (NIV) For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him.
New International Reader's Version
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (NIRV) All things were created by him. He created everything in heaven and on earth. He created everything that can be seen and everything that can't be seen. He created kings, powers, rulers and authorities. Everything was created by him and for him.
New Century Version
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (NCV) Through his power all things were made -- things in heaven and on earth, things seen and unseen, all powers, authorities, lords, and rulers. All things were made through Christ and for Christ.
New American Standard Bible
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (NAS) For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities -all things have been created through Him and for Him.
The Message Bible
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (MSG) For everything, absolutely everything, above and below, visible and invisible, rank after rank after rank of angels - everything got started in him and finds its purpose in him.
Lexham English Bible
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (LEB) because all [things] in the heavens and on the earth were created by him, things visible and things invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or powers, all [things] were created through him and for him,
King James Version w/ Apocrypha
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (KJVA) For by him were all things created , that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
King James Version
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (KJV) For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
Jubilee Bible 2000
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (JUB) for by him were all things created, that <em>are</em> in the heavens and that <em>are</em> in earth, visible and invisible, whether <em>they are</em> thrones or dominions or principalities or powers: all things were created by him and in him;
Hebrew Names Version
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (HNV) For by him were all things created, in the heavens and on the eretz, things visible and things invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers; all things have been created through him, and to him.
Good News Translation w/ Apocrypha
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (GNTA) For through him God created everything in heaven and on earth, the seen and the unseen things, including spiritual powers, lords, rulers, and authorities. God created the whole universe through him and for him.
GOD'S WORD Translation
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (GW) He created all things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible. Whether they are kings or lords, rulers or powers-- everything has been created through him and for him.
Good News Translation
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (GNT) For through him God created everything in heaven and on earth, the seen and the unseen things, including spiritual powers, lords, rulers, and authorities. God created the whole universe through him and for him.
English Standard Version
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (ESV) For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things were created through him and for him.
The Darby Translation
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (DBY) because by him were created all things, the things in the heavens and the things upon the earth, the visible and the invisible, whether thrones, or lordships, or principalities, or authorities: all things have been created by him and for him.
Holman Christian Standard Bible
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (CSB) because by Him everything was created, in heaven and on earth, the visible and the invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities- all things have been created through Him and for Him.
The Complete Jewish Bible
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (CJB) because in connection with him were created all things - in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones, lordships, rulers or authorities - they have all been created through him and for him.
Common English Bible w/ Apocrypha
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (CEBA) Because all things were created by him: both in the heavens and on the earth, the things that are visible and the things that are invisible. Whether they are thrones or powers, or rulers or authorities, all things were created through him and for him.
Common English Bible
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (CEB) Because all things were created by him: both in the heavens and on the earth, the things that are visible and the things that are invisible. Whether they are thrones or powers, or rulers or authorities, all things were created through him and for him.
The Bible in Basic English
Chapter Parallel
Colossians 1:16 (BBE) For by him all things were made, in heaven and on earth, things seen and things unseen, authorities, lords, rulers, and powers; all things were made by him and for him;
Re: Who Do Men Say I Am?-jesus Christ Of Nazareth by UceeGod: 12:05am On Aug 14, 2019
Thank you for your effort on this. Unfortunately, anti-trinitarians will still not believe, let alone those religious fanatics that rely wholly on their own intelligence.
Re: Who Do Men Say I Am?-jesus Christ Of Nazareth by Janosky: 1:47am On Aug 14, 2019
UceeGod:
Thank you for your effort on this. Unfortunately, anti-trinitarians will still not believe, let alone those religious fanatics that rely wholly on their own intelligence.

1Cor 8:6 is very clear on this matter.

Did you & bingbagbo not see the words "THROUGH him" in Colossians 1:16 & 1 Cor 8:6?

Your unreceptive hearts is stone cold against the the truth.

SOURCE: biblehub,1 cor8:6.
" *Jesus
Ἰησοῦς (Iēsous)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's Greek 2424: Of Hebrew origin;
Jesus, the name of our Lord and two other
Israelites.
* Christ,
Χριστός (Christos)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's Greek 5547: Anointed One; the
Messiah, the Christ. From chrio; Anointed
One, i.e. The Messiah, an epithet of Jesus.
** THROUGH
δι’ (di’)
Preposition
Strong's Greek 1223: A primary preposition
denoting the channel of an act; through.
* whom
οὗ (hou)
Personal / Relative Pronoun - Genitive
Masculine Singular
Strong's Greek 3739: Who, which, what, that"

Go and learn the meaning of Greek "dia autou"
Blind Pharisees deceiving themselves.

(1) (Reply)

Date Nigerian Christian Singles / *lamentation For The Nigerian Church* / Is Jesus The Only Way To Heaven?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.