Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,504 members, 7,819,828 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:48 AM

Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference (4807 Views)

Militants Warn President Buhari,calls For Sovereign National Conference / Buhari Should Organise A Sovereign National Conference Now / Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference by justdtruth: 9:54am On Oct 20, 2010
President Goodluck Jonathan has rejected calls for the convocation of a Sovereign National Conference.

This is contrary to the calls by some groups and individuals that an SNC will give ethnic nationalities the opportunity to choose how to relate or associate with one another.

Jonathan, who spoke at the Dialogue with the President at the 16th Nigerian Economic Summit in Abuja on Tuesday, said the nation had gone beyond the call for the SNC and should be concerned about how to build a prosperous country.

The President also blamed kidnapping on government’s failure to address the problem when it was evolving.

He also stated that corruption was prevalent in the private sector as it had been in the public sector, adding that what should be done to check the menace was to strengthen law enforcement agencies.

According to the President, the constitution has already prescribed how the fundamental law can be changed; adding that any attempt to change the law by any other method would be an illegality.

The President said, “We have the 1999 Constitution which clearly prescribes how the constitution can be changed. We have the National Assembly that makes laws for the nation.

“Sometimes we get carried away by some jargons. It is not the number of conferences that we hold that can solve our problems. The countries that we cite as examples in development, it is not conference that solved their problems.

“We have gone beyond asking how ethnic groups can live together. We will not allow history to hold us down. It was in 1914 that the Southern and Northern Protectorates were amalgamated. In four years now, we shall be celebrating 100 years of our existence as a nation. So we have gone beyond the agitation for Sovereign National Conference.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201010203562910
Re: Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference by asha80(m): 10:10am On Oct 20, 2010
Saw him say it on tv yesterday
Re: Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference by princekevo(m): 10:14am On Oct 20, 2010
“We have gone beyond asking how ethnic groups can live together. We will not allow history to hold us down. It was in 1914 that the Southern and Northern Protectorates were amalgamated. In four years now, we shall be celebrating 100 years of our existence as a nation. So we have gone beyond the agitation for Sovereign National Conference.”

Jonathan, who spoke at the Dialogue with the President at the 16th Nigerian Economic Summit in Abuja on Tuesday, said the nation had gone beyond the call for the SNC and should be concerned about how to build a prosperous country.

Sweeping our problem once again under the carpet and pretending all is well, we are united. ND are fighting to control their own resources, Fulani and hausas are killing themselves everytime to determine who is the right owner of the land, Christians and their muslim brothers in the North are living constantly as cat and dog. Yet we still believe we are normally relating and associating together.
Re: Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 10:15am On Oct 20, 2010
Nigerian 'leaders' can't afford to face the truth. We have been in the dark for ages and thus, have become allergic to the light. It is all about politics of convinience
Re: Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 10:53am On Oct 20, 2010
Beaf has always campaign for a SNC and now,jonathan is saying NO to it. . .let's see what beaf has to say about this ! No beefing intended bro.
Re: Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference by Beaf: 11:01am On Oct 20, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Beaf has always campaign for a SNC and now,jonathan is saying NO to it. . .let's see what beaf has to say about this ! No beefing intended bro.

Dude, I really don't like people calling my name in a topic I am yet to comment on, you have done this to me several times. You will no doubt note that I have never done it to you (and you can be sure, I will not).

@topic
What Jonathan has said in long words, is he is okay with the National Conference if it is organised through the NASS. That is my understanding, he is against an adhoc thing that is not backed by any law.
That said, I feel some trepidation because the question has become open ended, so I will await further clarification.
Re: Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 11:16am On Oct 20, 2010
Beaf:

Dude, I really don't like people calling my name in a topic I am yet to comment on, you have done this to me several times. You will no doubt note that I have never done it to you (and you can be sure, I will not).

@topic
What Jonathan has said in long words, is he is okay with the National Conference if it is organised through the NASS. That is my understanding, he is against an adhoc thing that is not backed by any law.
That said, I feel some trepidation because the question has become open ended, so I will await further clarification.
No vex. . .you and I know that SNC has always been one of the major agitation of the ND,so his opposition against it is more or less political than actually addressing the problems associated with the 1999 constitution and the ND agitation.
Re: Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 11:28am On Oct 20, 2010
~Bluetooth:

No vex. . .you and I know that SNC has always been one of the major agitation of the ND,so his opposition against it is more or less political than actually addressing the problems associated with the 1999 constitution and the ND agitation.
The structure of Nigeria today was designed for the comfort and gains of the people in power with the ordinary nowhere in the equation. Why do you think people go to extra miles to be in power in Nigeria? Why do you think people suddenly change when they get into power? Why do you think the 'North' and some other groups will prefer to go mad rather than see GEJ elected. This is a dysfuntional system period, and nothing good can come out of NASS because the difference between them and the executive is just like that between six and half a dozen. Only a selfless leader can have the courage to go for SNC. I doubt if GEJ is that kind of leader
Re: Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference by monkeyleg: 11:31am On Oct 20, 2010
As usual, when critical decisions are necessary, Oga has not balls. We need this like yesterday, Nigerians must sit down and decide how they want to be governed. Anyway I wasnt expecting anything better from him, he is too weak to rule this country. Tough decision have to be made, and once again Oga has failed us.
Re: Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 11:49am On Oct 20, 2010
jabbok:

The structure of Nigeria today was designed for the comfort and gains of the people in power with the ordinary nowhere in the equation. Why do you think people go to extra miles to be in power in Nigeria? Why do you think people suddenly change when they get into power? Why do you think the 'North' and some other groups will prefer to go mad rather than see GEJ elected. This is a dysfuntional system period, and nothing good can come out of NASS because the difference between them and the executive is just like that between six and half a dozen. Only a selfless leader can have the courage to go for SNC. I doubt if GEJ is that kind of leader
Politics is a madness of the few at the detriment of the larger population.What baffles me always is why the voice of the common man is never being heard or listen to ?
Re: Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 11:54am On Oct 20, 2010
I agree with him that the Sovereign National conference has become a waste of everybody's time. It usually does not achieve much because the ethnic Nationalities & traditional rulers who attend do not agree on anything.
I think the most effective way to change Nigeria now is through the NASS.

But I find his summation of Niger-Delta crisis as mere oil bunkering out of place. If he is saying the Militants are simply in it in other to trade in oil through bunkering then thats fair enough. But the major problem in Niger-Delta as in every other part of Nigeria is poverty and corruption.
Re: Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 12:02pm On Oct 20, 2010
mikeansy:

I agree with him that the Sovereign National conference has become a waste of everybody's time. It usually does not achieve much because the ethnic Nationalities & traditional rulers who attend do not agree on anything.
I think the most effective way to change Nigeria now is through the NASS.

But I find his summation of Niger-Delta crisis as mere oil bunkering out of place. If he is saying the Militants are simply in it in other to trade in oil through bunkering then thats fair enough. But the major problem in Niger-Delta as in every other part of Nigeria is poverty and corruption.
Bros, do u honestly think that anything good can come out of this present composition of NASS? There is simply no opposition in those houses(upper and lower), the very few opposition have cross-carpeted to the PDP. As we speak, the whole 'honourable' NASS members in my state are fighting to return to ABJ come 2011. I mean all of them, and I know the do-or-die situation is playing out the same across the 36 states.
Re: Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 12:29pm On Oct 20, 2010
jabbok:

Bros, do u honestly think that anything good can come out of this present composition of NASS? There is simply no opposition in those houses(upper and lower), the very few opposition have cross-carpeted to the PDP. As we speak, the whole 'honourable' NASS members in my state are fighting to return to ABJ come 2011. I mean all of them, and I know the do-or-die situation is playing out the same across the 36 states.

The solution is to find ways to make the NASS work not to circumvent it. Thats my opinion anyway because I have seen a few sovereign national conference that has achieved nothing in my adult life.
Re: Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 1:00pm On Oct 20, 2010
mikeansy:

I agree with him that the Sovereign National conference has become a waste of everybody's time. It usually[b] does not achieve much because the ethnic Nationalities & traditional rulers who attend do not agree on anything.[/b]
I think the most effective way to change Nigeria now is  through the NASS.

But I find his summation of Niger-Delta crisis as mere oil bunkering out of place. If he is saying the Militants are simply in it in other to trade in oil through bunkering  then thats fair enough. But the major problem in Niger-Delta as in every other part of Nigeria is poverty and corruption.

I agree with you on the major problem confronting the ND but i disagree on the SNC.A law dictates how the society ought to be organized and controlled.what we have presently is a piece of paper that recognise the elites while the common man suffers.
No process of formulation of law is easy just as the NASS constitution amendment during the OBJ regime almost turn the country upside down.what we need is a law that will tolerate and treat all nigerians as one irrespective of class.
Re: Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 1:58pm On Oct 20, 2010
~Bluetooth:

I agree with you on the major problem confronting the ND but i disagree on the SNC.A law dictates how the society ought to be organized and controlled.what we have presently is a piece of paper that recognise the elites while the common man suffers.
No process of formulation of law is easy just as the NASS constitution amendment during the OBJ regime almost turn the country upside down.what we need is a law that will tolerate and treat all nigerians as one irrespective of class.

Believe me I have taken time to read various sections of Nigerian Constitution and have come to the conclusion that the problem is not the constitution itself but implementation. From what it means to be a citizen of this country to what your fundamental human right means. The constitution as written down is very good.

The problem is that there is a big void between the constitution and our everyday practice. What we should be calling for is following the law to its letter and a leadership with the best of intention to give the right interpretations to our constitution.

Now our constitution is not perfect. No constitution will ever be perfect because that is why there is always room for the law to be changed. But it defeats the purpose of any SNC or writting any new laws when the current laws have not even been exploited to its fullest.

I will give you an example. The Nigerian constitution does not recognise the indigene and settler dichotomy. But in the heads of Nigerians some people are aboriginal to certain places while others are not. If your name is Hassan, you are born is Aba and have lived all your life there then you are an immigrant. If your name is Okeke and you were born in Kano and spent 20years there, you are still an immigrant. This confusion has led to wars and is at the very heart of the Jos crisis. And yet this dichotomy is stuck in our heads and does not exist in the 1999 constitution because our constitution says every Nigerian can live anywhere in the country, associate with who they like, and have the right to vote and be voted for.

Now you and I know this is not what obtains in practice. What is the solution to the above problem I highlighted above? Is it new laws or just plain common sense implementation and enforcement.
Re: Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 2:12pm On Oct 20, 2010
Re: Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference by Abagworo(m): 2:23pm On Oct 20, 2010
There is a serious crisis brewing in Nigeria.The only solution to the Niger Delta crisis remains true federalism and resource control.The problem lies on how to divide the country to its federating units.This is the part where SNC is required.
Re: Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 2:26pm On Oct 20, 2010
mikeansy:

Believe me I have taken time to read various sections of Nigerian Constitution and have come to the conclusion that[b] the problem is not the constitution itself but implementation.[/b] From what it means to be a citizen of this country to what your fundamental human right means. The constitution as written down is very good.

The problem is that there is a big void between the constitution and our everyday practice. What we should be calling for is following the law to its letter and a leadership with the best of intention to give the right interpretations to our constitution.

Now our constitution is not perfect. No constitution will ever be perfect because that is why there is always room for the law to be changed. But it defeats the purpose of any SNC or writting any new laws when the current laws have not even been exploited to its fullest.

I will give you an example. The Nigerian constitution does not recognise the indigene and settler dichotomy. But in the heads of Nigerians some people are aboriginal to certain places while others are not. If your name is Hassan, you are born is Aba and have lived all your life there then you are an immigrant. If your name is Okeke and you were born in Kano and spent 20years there, you are still an immigrant. This confusion has led to wars and is at the very heart of the Jos crisis. And yet this dichotomy is stuck in our heads and does not exist in the 1999 constitution because our constitution says every Nigerian can live anywhere in the country, associate with who they like, and have the right to vote and be voted for.

Now you and I know this is not what obtains in practice. What is the solution to the above problem I highlighted above? Is it new laws or just plain common sense implementation and enforcement.
I agreed that we've not been able to fully utilized the present law.But if I may ask how strong do you think the 1999 constitution is ? i mean a law that the PDP constitution overshadows when the interests of the few elites of the society is involved.
A constitution ought to have the contribution of the major stakeholders of any society and that is what the SNC stands to achieve.Most people think the people are too emotional/sentimental to make an appropriate contribution but I think they are more objective in their mission that seem to address all the various aspects of their problem than having a law that works only in favour of the few elites.Any ammendment to the 1999 constitution is always going to be as it always was.
Re: Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference by asamuel: 2:31pm On Oct 20, 2010
Buy all your Books, DVDs, Electonics, Games, Toys at www.kalahari.com.ng

Visit today for ongoing promotion and free vouchers,
Re: Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 2:34pm On Oct 20, 2010
Abagworo:

There is a serious crisis brewing in Nigeria.The only solution to the Niger Delta crisis remains[b] true federalism and resource control[/b].The problem lies on how to divide the country to its federating units.This is the part where SNC is required.
The 1999 constitution did not recgnise these two key issues because we have a federal government with a centralized power but it's scared of loosing that federating power to the federating unit.
do you think that the president will allow th decentralization of power ? No.Only a peoples' constitution will recognise true federalism and resource control !
Re: Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 2:42pm On Oct 20, 2010
From the point of view of Fedralism and Resource control, yes new measures are required to change our current structure but there is no guarantee that an SNC will achieve this. May be an SNC is required but I am simply skeptical that it will be another jamboree for traditional rulers and jingoists which will eventually not achieve anything.
Re: Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 3:04pm On Oct 20, 2010
mikeansy:

From the point of view of Fedralism and Resource control, yes new measures are required to change our current structure but there is no guarantee that an SNC will achieve this. May be an SNC is required but I am simply skeptical that it will be another jamboree for traditional rulers and jingoists which will eventually not achieve anything.

If only the present constitution could address the present day problems,I won't have bothered a bit about a SNC.
Re: Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference by befcom: 3:13pm On Oct 20, 2010
That's ok
Re: Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference by AkinEgba: 3:32pm On Oct 20, 2010
In a tottering country like Nigeria, only a foolish leader will convoke a sovereign national conference that will potentially destabilize the country and take leadership away from him. Obasanjo refused to do it when he was in charge, so why would anyone expect Jonathan, an Obasanjo protege, to take that route? All those shouting SNC will not be able to convoke one if they were in a position to do so. I ask, who no like power?
Re: Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference by ChinenyeN(m): 4:08pm On Oct 20, 2010
Not surprising, but still very disappointing.

Hold on. . . Mikeansy, let me understand your position right here. Basically, what you seem to be saying is that the compromised system that you want to change, is in fact the very some one that you will want to come and rely on to effect such a change?
Re: Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference by udezue(m): 4:26pm On Oct 20, 2010
Not a good move.
Re: Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 5:09pm On Oct 20, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Not surprising, but still very disappointing.

Hold on. . . Mikeansy, let me understand your position right here. Basically, what you seem to be saying is that the compromised system that you want to change, is in fact the very some one that you will want to come and rely on to effect such a change?

What I am simply saying is that SNC is usually converged as the people's representatives. While such a gathering was apt during the colonial era or during the military era, under a civilian system of Government we already have an institution of elected representatives of the people known as the National Assembly.
Now you may want to debate whether the members of NASS were actually elected or whether they are even doing a good job representing the people? That is a fair debate we are all entitled to have but the law as we have it recognises that institution and we must recognise it until we change our laws. otherwise we are simply calling for confusion.

I hold this view not because I am satisfied with the system as it is but because I believe we can make incremental changes from where we are and then eventually get to that promised destination. Experimenting on radical changes every 4years simply erodes previous gains you may have made and leaves you a perpetual beginner in everything.

I am of the view that with a strong leadership, clear headed in what they want it is still possible to achieve true fedralism and resource control through the NASS. We simply have not succeeded in demonstrating that actually it is in the interest of all parts of Nigeria to have that sort of set up. Some still see it as a Niger-Delta agenda and hence fedralism has not enjoyed the true support it deserves from other regions.

It may not even happen in one day, it is possible to start in stages by devolving various powers from centre to regions with the support of NASS. Thats all I am saying.
Re: Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference by chosen04(f): 5:36pm On Oct 20, 2010
JEGA will forever regret this decision to abandon SNC!!!!!!

Just my humble opinion
Re: Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference by ChinenyeN(m): 6:23pm On Oct 20, 2010
Mikeansy, ideally, yes. I would have to agree, but we don't live in an ideal world, and Nigeria certainly isn't an ideal construct. That is exactly why I asked you if [the compromised system that you want to change, is in fact the very some one that you will want to come and rely on to effect such a change].

mikeansy:

What I am simply saying is that SNC is usually converged as the people's representatives. While such a gathering was apt during the colonial era or during the military era, under a civilian system of Government we already have an institution of elected representatives of the people known as the National Assembly.
NASS is part of the compromised system, and under a civilian system of government (democracy), the governed have all right to call their government up on its compromises; they are fully entitled to a revolution, once the system is too compromised for its own good.

SNC is an avenue which the governed are entitled to take. Jonathan made a very disappointing move in ruling out such an avenue, in a supposed democracy, under the guise of "illegality". Cheap, cheap cop-out on Jonathan's part. It's saddening how he wants to wait on "legality", when the system in charge of that is compromised; too compromised for its own good. Again, I'm not surprised at this move; not surprised at all, but I do remain very, very disappointed.
Re: Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 7:06pm On Oct 20, 2010
^^^^^^^

I honestly don't know what is right and wrong on this issue. I was only saying the President has a point. If SNC is the solution to our problem then fair enough let us assemble them.

But let us not loose sight of the fact that while we criticise members of NASS as pretenders claiming to practice democracy. The folks usually selected to attend SNC are traditional rulers who were not elected by anyone but got to their position most times by heriditary and govern their subjects not by laws accepted in any referendum but by the Goodwill of one man, the King. Nothing can be more undemocratic.

Now I know that there other folks who attend SNC that are not traditional rulers, but those folks are usually nominated or appointed and not elected by the general public either.

So we have a choice to either improve our current not so perfect system or we start afresh but depend on a body of undemocratic representatives to craft a democratic future for us. I don't believe after 50years of independence we should still be talking about SNC. Lets move on.
Re: Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference by Abagworo(m): 8:13pm On Oct 20, 2010
Going by the experiences of past attempts like Abachas confab and OBJ's Oputa panel,most conferences end up as money sharing galore where the wishes of the incumbent is the command.The national assembly should be forced by mass protest or by the FG to discuss this issue of true federalism and resource control.GEJ should use his power to influence this for his own people and Nigeria's own good.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ondo Poll May Witness Violence, Manipulation – Observers / The Rails Are Back & Alive. / Why Do They Use Outdated Pictures Of Buhari In His Posters? (current Face Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.