Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,248 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:22 AM

Nigerians Left In Awe After Spotting Elephants Roaming Inside A Bush In Ogun - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Nigerians Left In Awe After Spotting Elephants Roaming Inside A Bush In Ogun (62353 Views)

My First Time Seeing Elephants Fight. No Wonder They Say Grass Stuffers (Video) / Civet Killed In Ogun Bush In Osere Matogun / Residents Panic After Spotting Creature On An Electric Pole In Edo Village. Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Left In Awe After Spotting Elephants Roaming Inside A Bush In Ogun by TheAlchemist: 9:53am On Aug 13, 2019
Only those with spiritual eyes can see Herdsmen masquerading as elephants. OPC take note.
Re: Nigerians Left In Awe After Spotting Elephants Roaming Inside A Bush In Ogun by nicepoker101(m): 9:54am On Aug 13, 2019
jovialswag:
Mowgli grin
The man cub
Re: Nigerians Left In Awe After Spotting Elephants Roaming Inside A Bush In Ogun by Gen2glitter(m): 10:03am On Aug 13, 2019
Dollarseeker:
that's why I watched it. the people in the video were speaking Yoruba. probably Nigerians
They speak Yoruba in Ghana too.
That doesn't justify your view.
Re: Nigerians Left In Awe After Spotting Elephants Roaming Inside A Bush In Ogun by Sniper101(m): 10:05am On Aug 13, 2019
the caption says "elephants"

so I was expecting to see a herd of elephants
Re: Nigerians Left In Awe After Spotting Elephants Roaming Inside A Bush In Ogun by Funkyswagzz(m): 10:09am On Aug 13, 2019
YourNemesis:
It is true. For those who don’t believe it happened in Nigeria.
The Forests of Ogun and Ondo state are one of the few places left in all West Africa where elephants still exist and roam in the wild.

These are forest elephants, which were once thought to be the same with their savannah cousins on eastern and southern Africa. But upon further investigation and genomic profiling, have been found to be a different sub-species with subtle differences.

Unfortunately, I am sad and very much frightened for their safety, now that they are being seen by everyday people- knowing the kind of country this is. cry
In a locale like Naija, sometimes it is better for people not to know that certain things even exist... was it not barely 2 weeks ago that Bayelsa people massacred a beached whale to the bones, as if common fish is what they haven’t eaten before.

Much love and respect to the great one. Like Yorubas would say; “Ajanaku ti n mi igbo kiji-kiji” The movers and shakers of the African bush.

It is shame when we behave like animals. Our mentality is just out of this world. Very notorious and hypocritical in nature. We will say one thing and do another. When it comes to breaking rules and finding the best way to survive without minding the consequences we are number one. It will only take a miracle for us to get out of this sh!t
Re: Nigerians Left In Awe After Spotting Elephants Roaming Inside A Bush In Ogun by dokie: 10:18am On Aug 13, 2019
Dollarseeker:
that's why I watched it. the people in the video were speaking Yoruba. probably Nigerians

The shouts of 'yee' 'yee' should further convince you they are Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Left In Awe After Spotting Elephants Roaming Inside A Bush In Ogun by FuckDaMods: 10:29am On Aug 13, 2019
It's Nigeria definitely, one of them was wearing indomie shirt.
Re: Nigerians Left In Awe After Spotting Elephants Roaming Inside A Bush In Ogun by FuckDaMods: 10:32am On Aug 13, 2019
TheAviator:

I cherish your knowledge with regards to this issue. I guess you are in the wildlife field. Please, what can you do or what strings can you pull to make sure these animals are preserved? These are endangered national treasure. We need to call government attention to the existence of these animals in our forest so that they can act to preserve them. I am apprehensive that now that the villagers have spotted those elephants, and are now aware that they have elephants in their neighborhood, some of the villagers will hunt them down and use them for meat.
Govt that will carry them and put inside zoo.. The next few months they will be looking like goats. The elephants will prefer to die in the wild rather than govt getting involved in their matter. The country govt is so useless
Re: Nigerians Left In Awe After Spotting Elephants Roaming Inside A Bush In Ogun by FuckDaMods: 10:40am On Aug 13, 2019
gmaribel:

Google is your friend....
As to how fast an elephant can be despite it's weight see link below
https://www.quora.com/Can-an-elephant-outrun-a-human

As to how dangerous an elephant can be, read up on young male elephants.

Many people get killed by large animals such as Hippopotamus and elephants because they think they can run faster than them not knowing that these animals are faster than even Usain Bolt
grin honestly
Re: Nigerians Left In Awe After Spotting Elephants Roaming Inside A Bush In Ogun by KanuSE: 10:44am On Aug 13, 2019
[s]
ngadaAwo:
elephants are harmless creatures
they don't attack humans unless they feel threatened
[/s]

Trash can, who cares! grin
Re: Nigerians Left In Awe After Spotting Elephants Roaming Inside A Bush In Ogun by Dollarseeker: 10:55am On Aug 13, 2019
dokie:

The shouts of 'yee' 'yee' should further convince you they are Nigerians.
lols
Re: Nigerians Left In Awe After Spotting Elephants Roaming Inside A Bush In Ogun by TemmyT002(m): 11:11am On Aug 13, 2019
Wow
Re: Nigerians Left In Awe After Spotting Elephants Roaming Inside A Bush In Ogun by ngadaAwo: 11:18am On Aug 13, 2019
KanuSE:
[s]

Trash can, who cares! grin
[/s]
Re: Nigerians Left In Awe After Spotting Elephants Roaming Inside A Bush In Ogun by rabzy: 11:53am On Aug 13, 2019
topsyking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vQIGpOk5-A
This video was shot this year. they are the last protected elephant in ogun nigeria

Wow...I know the lady in the video...good job joy...be safe

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Left In Awe After Spotting Elephants Roaming Inside A Bush In Ogun by dasparrow: 11:58am On Aug 13, 2019
I hope Nigerians don't have these elephants killed considering that a lot of Nigerians kill and eat every kind of animal. I don't know whether it is the high level of poverty in Nigeria causing such kind of behavior.
Re: Nigerians Left In Awe After Spotting Elephants Roaming Inside A Bush In Ogun by LORDKing001: 12:23pm On Aug 13, 2019
blackmantis:
Those guys are just playing with death. You can't outrun an elephant, look how close they went.
What are you saying?

Average elephant max speed 24.9 km/h (15.5 mph)

Human Instantaneous max. 47.56 km/h (29.55 mph) Avg max over fastest 10 to 20m was 45 kmh/28 mph.
Re: Nigerians Left In Awe After Spotting Elephants Roaming Inside A Bush In Ogun by TheAviator: 1:01pm On Aug 13, 2019
FuckDaMods:

Govt that will carry them and put inside zoo.. The next few months they will be looking like goats. The elephants will prefer to die in the wild rather than govt getting involved in their matter. The country govt is so useless
Nope, zoo is not a way to protect wild animals. There is a National Parks service that does that. The kind of protection I am talking about is not the same as zoo at all
Re: Nigerians Left In Awe After Spotting Elephants Roaming Inside A Bush In Ogun by IamCharles123: 1:11pm On Aug 13, 2019
gentlekeny:
I pretty much doubt if it's in Nigeria cos the poster himself cannot even tell us where this happened.
I have watch the video, they were speaking yoruba and shouting the signature yoruba shout when the elephant started chasing them.
Re: Nigerians Left In Awe After Spotting Elephants Roaming Inside A Bush In Ogun by OgaBuhari: 2:37pm On Aug 13, 2019
blackmantis:
Those guys are just playing with death. You can't outrun an elephant, look how close they went.
ignorance at it's peak.
elephants are herbivores so they are harmless unless when provoked and besides they can't run fast due to their weight
Re: Nigerians Left In Awe After Spotting Elephants Roaming Inside A Bush In Ogun by ngadaAwo: 2:38pm On Aug 13, 2019
[s]
OgaBuhari:
ignorance at it's peak.
elephants are herbivores so they are harmless unless when provoked and besides they can't run fast due to their weight
[/s]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Left In Awe After Spotting Elephants Roaming Inside A Bush In Ogun by planetx: 5:10pm On Aug 13, 2019
Jewessgratitude:

And where did they leave it to be walking majestically like that to? Instead of them to attack the beast.
Hmmm.... We dont want to hear stories that touch the heart o cos small children may be coming that path and now jam with the elephant.

For now, na indoor activities sure pass��� somebody can not come and go and be doing outdoor tinz where this beast roameth about.
Beast? Look at this one mentality, the elephants are in a protected forest and the people enroached on their habitat not the other way round.
Re: Nigerians Left In Awe After Spotting Elephants Roaming Inside A Bush In Ogun by Nobody: 6:00pm On Aug 13, 2019
planetx:
Beast? Look at this one mentality, the elephants are in a protected forest and the people enroached on their habitat not the other way round.

Ehen What is an Elephant before? Is it not a beast? Is it a human being? See your mentality o.��

And where is the protected forest you see around that wandering beast? Grammar just hungry you to speak sha.
That Elephant is wandering dangerously and could wander into the village for it to be sited near by. It should be deep inside the forest and not in the same environment as humans where it can be easily sited.

Sidon learn. O?
Re: Nigerians Left In Awe After Spotting Elephants Roaming Inside A Bush In Ogun by topsyking: 8:31pm On Aug 13, 2019
rabzy:

Wow...I know the lady in the video...good job joy...be safe
Can you link up with her so she can update us if they sited them again this year. or her link so we can contact her ..
thanks
Re: Nigerians Left In Awe After Spotting Elephants Roaming Inside A Bush In Ogun by Sportwin(m): 9:44pm On Aug 13, 2019
caprini1:
I dont know why people think we dont have these wild animals no more in Nigeria....the poor animals are scared stiff of their lives that they form colonies and hide away deep in the forest out of fear of been turned to food.

In the east where i cone from ,if you see the speed a python moves with when they site humans ehn! fast and furious drivers will be envious grin. we dont kill them in the 80,s when i was growing up ,infact its a beautiful site back then ,when we travel for Christmas holidays,as my grandmother holds them very close to us ,and truly they have never attacked us while we touch and play with them,but the influx of Ebonyi people to my place started the disappearances of python from my place. grin

Very funny
Re: Nigerians Left In Awe After Spotting Elephants Roaming Inside A Bush In Ogun by TheAk(m): 1:33am On Aug 14, 2019
on a totally unrealated note,how thick is elephant meat?like how many hours of marination and how much spice does it take to season it?('spices' here are onga royco(will the techniques for preparing asun work for it?if SOMEBODY mixed potassium and palm oil will it taste like nkwobi?is it better boiled or fricased?this information can save SOMEBODY'S life!!!
Re: Nigerians Left In Awe After Spotting Elephants Roaming Inside A Bush In Ogun by blackmantis: 11:30am On Aug 14, 2019
OgaBuhari:
ignorance at it's peak.

Listen to your mumu self "elephants are herbivores hence they are harmless"..SMH

The animal responsible for most human fatalities is a herbivore if you don't know.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Big Grass Cutter Killed By My Neighbour Now / The Snake A Nairalander Killed In His Neighbour's Farm / Made-In-Aba Stove That Obtains Its Fuel From Cassava Leaf (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.