Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:59 AM

Social Networking Programming - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Social Networking Programming (1681 Views)

An Android Social Networking App From A Nigerian - Check It Out! / Creating A Social Networking Site Others Can Join In And Get Paid / Java Programming Vs Networking: Which Is More Profitable In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Social Networking Programming by kenedylen(m): 2:50pm On Oct 20, 2010
Need to start a group of people to join together to start producing our own social networking engines. Have already programmed one www.screamwide.com.
Check it out grin

Re: Social Networking Programming by binkabir(m): 12:10pm On Oct 27, 2010
what framework or language are u using i wish to join the team

check me out or mail
www.betasoftnigeria.net
kabir@betasoftnigeria.net
Re: Social Networking Programming by adzcqe: 9:04am On Nov 01, 2010
You don't need to repeat what is already available (facebook)

Lets do something new
Re: Social Networking Programming by Nobody: 9:49pm On Nov 01, 2010
If it can be done better, why not? Zuckerberg did not deter from creating facebook because MySpace, Friendster, and hi5 were already in existence. However, from the look of the site, I am not that impressed since I have seen better.
Re: Social Networking Programming by Beaf: 11:52am On Nov 03, 2010
I am building something similar in ASP.NET (C#). The database, sprocs, business layer and data access layer have been built. I only have the pages to go (I'll be generating most of them). Its an independent module thats part of a larger project at www.afroScienceCommunity.com

I'm in two minds whether to make the social networking module open source or sell it.
Re: Social Networking Programming by InesQor(m): 1:31am On Nov 08, 2010
Hi Beaf. I am a PHP programmer, roughly 5 years of serious experience with that. For 8 months now, I have been silently observing you mentioning C# and ASP.NET as a far better alternative in terms of performance and all that, I investigated the claims and found out they are true but was too busy/lazy to move into gear. . . but I think I have finally had enough.

I'm starting with C# / ASP.NET tomorrow (I ordered some training material already), and for one of my first projects, I will be working on a social network system with an educational bias. Thanks for all the insight (you never know who has been silently following your posts, right? Hehehe).

Thanks again.
Re: Social Networking Programming by Beaf: 10:35pm On Nov 10, 2010
InesQor:

Hi Beaf. I am a PHP programmer, roughly 5 years of serious experience with that. For 8 months now, I have been silently observing you mentioning C# and ASP.NET as a far better alternative in terms of performance and all that, I investigated the claims and found out they are true but was too busy/lazy to move into gear. . . but I think I have finally had enough.

I'm starting with C# / ASP.NET tomorrow (I ordered some training material already), and for one of my first projects, I will be working on a social network system with an educational bias. Thanks for all the insight (you never know who has been silently following your posts, right? Hehehe).

Thanks again.

Thanks for swelling my small head! wink
I wish you the best of luck and if I do make the social network app I mentioned open source, I'll hunt for you.
Re: Social Networking Programming by binkabir(m): 12:12pm On Nov 11, 2010
i hope all of you know that the best of sites and top rated in the world are designed with PHP,
@ InesQor are u seriously a programmer in PHP? cos i am really doubting if u have 5 year experience

very unfortunate for you.
Re: Social Networking Programming by Birniwa(m): 2:47pm On Nov 11, 2010
The thing is actually Nigerians Programmers are trying in this technology stuffs, but I dont see any reason why we should go ahead and start re-developing something that has already been developed by someone else, instead, lets all bring something new and unique that everyone will enjoy using. REMEMBER IT ONLY TAKES OUR THOUGHTS AND RESEARCH, WE ALREADY HAVE THE SKILLS!
Re: Social Networking Programming by InesQor(m): 3:19pm On Nov 11, 2010
Now I don't usually do this, but. . . (shrugs). . .

binkabir:

i hope all of you know that the best of sites and top rated in the world  are designed with PHP,
This is tripe. Best in what regards? Top rated by whom? Your mother-in-law?

Agreed, Facebook, for instance, runs off PHP. But WHAT version of PHP? PHP is open source, and Facebook rewrote the entire RUNTIME of PHP and it is called HipHop for PHP. Ever heard also of facebook's Cassandra, now maintained by Apache upon open source? Did you know this, kiddo? THAT is what Facebook runs off, and not your plain old rusty PHP that is like a muscular hardworking labourer sweating in the sun (he works hard! Who gives a rat's b[i]a[/i]ck[i]a[/i]ss? SHow me the money in less time!).

The incontrovertible point is that PHP is much slower than C# and .NET and IS NOT ADEQUATELY SCALABLE. Period! Facebook and other "giants" that your Mother-in-law rated as top sites, basically delved into the C level to tweak PHP because they wanted to use the free platform. Until you "go ye and do likewise", dont come here and leak in the brain mouth.

binkabir:

@ InesQor  are u seriously a programmer in PHP? cos i am really doubting if u have 5 year experience

very unfortunate for you.
Seriously, why is this dude leaking at the brain mouth? I have problems with people who keep spreading hearsay and when they face a real challenge they start wetting their p[i]a[/i]nts.

Are YOU a programmer?  undecided undecided undecided

In what language? Your native tongue?

Or you are a kiddo copying codes from online resources and discussion boards and tutorials on forums?

Or are you one of those who think making a database connection in PHP/MySQL makes you a programmer?

Are you up for a challenge? DO you have a challenge for me in exchange, in view of this public audience? Im waiting!  cool

Very unfortunate for me? Google is your friend. Sometimes its good to do research lest you disgrace yourself.  undecided

See charts below, from

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u32q/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=php&lang2=csharp
and
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u32/which-programming-languages-are-fastest.php?php=on&csharp=on&calc=chart

Just by way of example.

What a waste of precious space.  angry angry angry

Re: Social Networking Programming by InesQor(m): 3:33pm On Nov 11, 2010
binkabir:

@ InesQor are u seriously a programmer in PHP? cos i am really doubting if u have 5 year experience

By the way, I checked out your website. Let's agree that you are not an altogether sound web designer. So maybe you are a programmer, or maybe it's your wife/girlfriend that is the programmer and you give her moral support.

Either way, your [size=14pt]portal[/size] on http://portal.betasoftnigeria.net/ is VERY vulnerable to Cross-Site Request Forgery. I just attempted a XSRF attack and it embraced me passionately.

This is BASIC site security practice in PHP. Read it up here, sir. I dont think you ever heard of it cos it was not in the "PHP in 21 days" ebook that you used to learn.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-site_request_forgery

Your site(s) may need help very soon if someone wants to continue what I was about to start on it.

Come back after you fix the mess you want to release as a portal.

Poppycock and nonsense.
Re: Social Networking Programming by binkabir(m): 5:44pm On Nov 13, 2010
hello, let me first list all i will discuss based on the question and comment u posted.

@InesQor i will answer this questions like this  

1. about my portal.

2. about PHP and C# or ASP and PHP,

answer 1: that portal was a demo portal which i designed  in 2007, from that version i have 3 other versions that on production. which most of this issue like yours was addressed.
thanks for your comment.
watch out of the new portal by last week of DEC, I bet you  cool cool,
please try to hack this and give me feedback i will be grateful www.zumahealthtrust.org my latest site for now

answer 2. yes FACEBOOK did all that, both the point is, the idea was from PHP and not ASP or JSP? undecided undecided undecided undecided
                the cassandra issue should not be included cos that is a Database and not PHP issue
                from your chart, i will agree with you about the position of PHP with regards to SPEED what about productivity and usage?
                even the site u pointed used PHP to design it so what are u saying?  didnt they know about ASP or C#

the TIOBE Programming Community index is an indicator of the popularity of programming languages. The index is updated once a month.     The ratings are based on the number of skilled engineers world-wide, courses and third party vendors. The popular search engines Google, MSN, Yahoo!, Wikipedia and YouTube are used to calculate the ratings. Observe that the TIOBE index is not about the best programming language or the language in which most lines of code have been written.

http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

i think the beef is about PHP and C#
my advice is if u really really tot of ASP, and C# other than PHP please read on PERL
thank you very much

thanks for the challenge  @InesQor
mind u the value of your personel work matters in this challenge please send your urls smiley smiley smiley
im grateful wink
Re: Social Networking Programming by InesQor(m): 10:45pm On Nov 13, 2010
@binkabir:

I replied you extensively but the spambot (or an admin / mod) ate it.

Summary: Quit lying. Its bad for your health.
Re: Social Networking Programming by binkabir(m): 8:13am On Nov 14, 2010
Hello. @ InesQor all your sentence where complete how did the admin short them (i really dont think so)??
i wrote my email can u kindly please forward it to me? or just web links to prove all.
because this is a constructive challenge all we ar arguing it how you and i can be better based on our know-how or possibly form a group that will be positive.

so please Mr InesQor i want you to first put up some challenges that u have 5 years php guru, if possible other languages that u are good at.

i will appreciated your critisicism because that is what make u prove that and why u do things

im good in these languages so come to the dance floor or[b] code floor[/b] cool cool cool
1. PHP
2. Python
3. Django
4.Perl

i arranged them based on my skills in them.
thanks once again  grin grin
Re: Social Networking Programming by Beaf: 6:23pm On Nov 14, 2010
^
Dude, I'm just getting entertained watching you misfiring wildly. Its damn funny that any man born of woman, would actually compare PHP to C#, its sad really.
C# knocks PHP for six in raw performance (like the US army vs Congo grin). Also, as far as development time is concerned, the .NET framework is as RAD as RAD gets.

I've also noted that the charts InesQor posted are between C# Mono and PHP, well up till Mono 2.4, .NET was like 6 times faster than Mono in certain cases (has about the same speed as C++), so divide those figures by 6 (or just to be kind, lets use 3), and then cough coders blood! cool
Re: Social Networking Programming by DapoBear(m): 3:40pm On Nov 15, 2010
I'm a big fan of MVC frameworks like Ruby on Rails, Django, etc. Very good for quickly prototyping an app.

(1) (Reply)

Building An Ai(artificial Intelligence) / 3d PC/MAC/Linux game / Codeigniter Vs Wordpress – Make The Right Web Development Platform Selection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.