Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,068 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:51 AM

Does John 1.1 Mean ‘the Word Was A God’? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does John 1.1 Mean ‘the Word Was A God’? (2721 Views)

The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 / What You Need To Know About Confession Of Sins From 1 John 1:9 - Gabriel Okocha / Former Prince Of 'ISIS' Turns To Christ After A God Dream: 'I Saw A Love That... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does John 1.1 Mean ‘the Word Was A God’? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Oct 08, 2019
By him All things were made, so the beginning in John 1 is certainly the beginning of creation

JMAN05:

Well, when you are acquainted with biblical language you can understand that beginning does not always mean beginning of everything. The context of John 1:1 does not suggest beginning of everything. Notice that John 1:14 said he is the only begotten son. That suggests creation.

Col 1:15 tells us more. It says Jesus was the firstborn of all creation. As a first-born, does that not show he was created?
Re: Does John 1.1 Mean ‘the Word Was A God’? by Nobody: 7:59pm On Oct 08, 2019
solite3:

By him All things were made, so the beginning in John 1 is certainly the beginning of creation

It's a pity you guys have the zeal but knowledge is lacking! Roman 10:2-3

If you're confident of what you're typing on faceless social media, why not go and visit people in their homes to convince them on the doctrine? cheesy

Why are you guys hiding your faces hear just to push your ideas to the public facelessly?

When you've typed gibberish, there is no one to hold or no religious group to question further! cheesy

No church to be certain that this is what this group believe, all of you are hiding behind none denominational faith, meaning this teaching is anonymous so don't think of finding those who can say anything further about it! cheesy

Whereas Jehovah's Witnesses are ready to say "ask my brothers and sisters from any land, it's exactly the same teaching" 1Corinthians 1:10, yet you guys aren't ashamed to wash your dirty linen in public. Na wa o! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Does John 1.1 Mean ‘the Word Was A God’? by orisa37: 8:32pm On Oct 08, 2019
The Word was Good.
Re: Does John 1.1 Mean ‘the Word Was A God’? by Hairyrapunzel: 1:51am On Oct 09, 2019
JMAN05:

Well, when you are acquainted with biblical language you can understand that beginning does not always mean beginning of everything. The context of John 1:1 does not suggest beginning of everything. Notice that John 1:14 said he is the only begotten son. That suggests creation.

Col 1:15 tells us more. It says Jesus was the firstborn of all creation. As a first-born, does that not show he was created?

Where did they write that the context of John 1:1 does not suggest beginning of everything in the bible?
Abi it's your assumption as usual?

Jer 31: 8-9. See, I will bring them from the land of the north and gather them from the ends of the earth. ...I will lead them beside streams of water on a level path where they will not stumble, because I am Israel’s father, and Ephraim is my firstborn son

Psalm 89: 27I will make him my firstborn son, the mightiest king on earth.

It looks like david and ephraim are first to be created

1 Like

Re: Does John 1.1 Mean ‘the Word Was A God’? by Nobody: 1:05pm On Oct 14, 2019
solite3:

The word that you see as "all things" is panta. The word doesn't always refer to literal all things. "Other" is often used to show that all other things is meant sometimes. In this case, rightly so.

The verse explains itself in col 1:15. He is the "first-born" of all creation. In another scripture, he is called the only begotten son. Does the word "son" and "begotten" not connote creation?

2. Another gives us a hint. Heb 1:2

2 "Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;"

Who is that he that made the world's thru Christ? Who appointed the supposed almighty heir of all things?
Re: Does John 1.1 Mean ‘the Word Was A God’? by Emusan(m): 4:04pm On Oct 14, 2019
JMAN05:

The word that you see as "all things" is panta. The word doesn't always refer to literal all things. "Other" is often used to show that all other things is meant sometimes. In this case, rightly so.

The verse explains itself in col 1:15. He is the "first-born" of all creation. In another scripture, he is called the only begotten son. Does the word "son" and "begotten" not connote creation?

2 "Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;"

Who is that he that made the world's thru Christ? Who appointed the supposed almighty heir of all things?

Liar, so you haven't changed all this while....

John 1:3 put an end to all your lies....

[b]Christian Standard Bible
All things were created through him, and apart from him not one thing was created that has been created.

Contemporary English Version
And with this Word, God created all things. Nothing was made without the Word. Everything that was created

Good News Translation
Through him God made all things; not one thing in all creation was made without him.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
All things were created through Him, and apart from Him not one thing was created that has been created.

International Standard Version
Through him all things were made, and apart from him nothing was made that has been made.

NET Bible
All things were created by him, and apart from him not one thing was created that has been created.

New Heart English Bible
All things were made through him, and apart from him nothing was made that has been made.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
Everything was in his hand, and without him not even one thing existed of the things that existed.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
Everything came into existence through him. Not one thing that exists was made without him.

New American Standard 1977
All things came into being by Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.

Jubilee Bible 2000
All things were made by him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.[/b]

Tell us the translation you didn't understand there.
If NOTHING came into existence without the Word, then it means the Word Created Himself.

Imagine, the word "Panta" doesn't always mean LITERAL ALL THINGS but you have to take the word FIRSTBORN as first CREATED....

Besides, can you provide any notable scholar who supported your position on "Panta"?
Re: Does John 1.1 Mean ‘the Word Was A God’? by budaatum: 4:30pm On Oct 14, 2019
Genesis describes God creating everything with "Let there be", then John says "Let there be" itself is God, and Christ, and instead of trying to understand what might be meant, you all are ignorantly parroting what you believe but have absolutely no inclination to understand.

Thankfully, a generation comes after you that will seek understanding even more than you all do then ignorance would die and Christ will indeed ressurect.
Re: Does John 1.1 Mean ‘the Word Was A God’? by Hairyrapunzel: 5:16pm On Oct 14, 2019
JMAN05:

So you are now assuming/speculating that colour 1:15 explains John 1:1
You also assume that firstborn of all creation means first to be created.

Every time is assumptions. Hmmm

You even have to formulate questions that werenot asked in the bible so you can give answers that were never given in the same bible.

Bible never gave us any name of anybody who made the world through christ
Abi you want to give us one?

Did bible give us any name of the person who appointed the supposed almighty heir of all things?
Re: Does John 1.1 Mean ‘the Word Was A God’? by Nobody: 5:51pm On Oct 14, 2019
Ok
I ve followed this arguement about whether the Messiah is a god or is God

Honestly, I am always amazed when mortals engage on frivolities.

For me, as long as Jesus the Christ is the Messiah, that's enough knowledge for me.

Mt 1:21 says,

Matt.1.21 - And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name JESUS, for He will save His people from their sins"

His mission is to save us from our sins.
Has He saved you from your sins

I think you people should stop all this endless arguements and find out why people are still.boumd by their sins.

Many proffess Christ, yet they are held captive by sin, Satan and sorrows.

I used to waste time in all this intellectual arguements...but now I know better.

Since I found Christ, I found peace and joy in the Holy Ghost.

Halleluiah.
Re: Does John 1.1 Mean ‘the Word Was A God’? by Nobody: 7:20pm On Oct 14, 2019
dVIA:
Ok

For me, as long as Jesus the Christ is the Messiah, that's enough knowledge for me.

Matt.1.21 - And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name JESUS, for He will save His people from their sins"

I think you people should stop all this endless arguements and find out why people are still.boumd by their sins.

I used to waste time in all this intellectual arguements...but now I know better.

Halleluiah.
I celebrate with you brother. Remain in the love of God
Re: Does John 1.1 Mean ‘the Word Was A God’? by Nobody: 7:24pm On Oct 14, 2019
JMAN05:

My brother, if they're so sure of all these arguments, why can't they go to people's homes with their Bibles to teach interested persons like we're doing? cheesy

They're all feeling thirsty for something {Luke 16: 24} but instead of welcoming JWs into their homes to teach them the truth {Luke 16:27-30} they are expecting something spectacular before they will accept us as true biblical tutors. So it's needless arguing with them! Luke 16:31

If they're sure they've got the accurate knowledge of the truth, let them go and meet strangers in their neighborhood, present themselves as fully competent and completely equipped preachers and teachers of God's word like us!

Let them go out there and prove their spiritual skills! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Does John 1.1 Mean ‘the Word Was A God’? by Nobody: 7:41pm On Oct 14, 2019
dVIA:
Ok

Halleluiah.

God bless you again and again and again Sir, for that thoughtful conclusion!

How i wish they will take to this advice and go out there to prove their spiritual skills as they're doing here on faceless social media!

Instead, they will still open threads on faceless social media to call out Jehovah's Witnesses who are preaching and teaching zealously out there to help people become PEACE LOVING BELIEVERS!

All they're after is to say "Jehovah's Witnesses are condemning our religion, so let's join hand to condemn their religion too"

Of course our preaching and teaching is not targeted at any specific religion, we're out to help interested persons know what Christianity means.

Emusan said in one of the threads that their God is a monotheist deity, but it's ironic that he can't point to any form of worship in all the thousands conflicting religious teachings and contradicting doctrines which one specifically is Christianity!

But when Jehovah's Witnesses organization present their form of worship to interested persons as the one and only way to practice true Christianity, they all get furious with criticism.
Please for which specific form of worship Sir?

Don't be shocked that their arguing in support of None. As if Jesus came to establish a polytheistic form of worship as Christianity!cheesy

1 Like

Re: Does John 1.1 Mean ‘the Word Was A God’? by Hairyrapunzel: 11:51am On Oct 15, 2019
JMAN05:

You were very smart to pick up the "nature" aspect. But maybe you should take it easy on them. Seasoning with salt might be better you know. In most cases, ignoring some critical comments against witnesses could be the best approach.

Another thing is, these ones might be witnesses tomorrow. It has happened before, it can happen again.

Critical comments against jws are bad? So you think critically/intelligently about your beliefs?

Hmmm
Re: Does John 1.1 Mean ‘the Word Was A God’? by Nobody: 3:53pm On Oct 15, 2019
Maximus69:

It's a pity you guys have the zeal but knowledge is lacking! Roman 10:2-3

If you're confident of what you're typing on faceless social media, why not go and visit people in their homes to convince them on the doctrine? cheesy
Jehovah witness organisation with all her supposed knowledge has failed in her predictions over the years and yet claim to be dishing out knowledge? The Holy Spirit is the true teacher and he reveals the truth to we that are born again.

It shows your ignorance, and baseless assumption for you to think I dont teach the word of God off social media. Infact I dont even write majority of what I teach on social media.

Why are you guys hiding your faces hear just to push your ideas to the public facelessly?

When you've typed gibberish, there is no one to hold or no religious group to question further! cheesy
so you cant think outside what your organisation shove down your throat? You belong to a cult if you dont know. The bible encourages us to search out the truth for ourselves and not hide behind one organisation or another.

No church to be certain that this is what this group believe, all of you are hiding behind none denominational faith, meaning this teaching is anonymous so don't think of finding those who can say anything further about it! cheesy

Whereas Jehovah's Witnesses are ready to say "ask my brothers and sisters from any land, it's exactly the same teaching" 1Corinthians 1:10, yet you guys aren't ashamed to wash your dirty linen in public. Na wa o! cheesy
Jehovah witness teaching has been exposed time and time again for what it is.
Answer my question why was the founder of Jehovah witness linked to freemasonry?
What were the ocultic symbols doing in your magazine pages for so many years before it was removed due to public uproar?
Why is Jwhovah witness not called Jesus witness?
Why is it jehovah witness teaching cannot withstand biblical scrutiny?
Re: Does John 1.1 Mean ‘the Word Was A God’? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Oct 15, 2019
solite3:
Jehovah witness organisation with all her supposed knowledge has failed in her predictions over the years and yet claim to be dishing out knowledge? The Holy Spirit is the true teacher and he reveals the truth to we that are born again.

It shows your ignorance, and baseless assumption for you to think I dont teach the word of God off social media. Infact I dont even write majority of what I teach on social media.

so you cant think outside what your organisation shove down your throat? You belong to a cult if you dont know. The bible encourages us to search out the truth for ourselves and not hide behind one organisation or another.

Jehovah witness teaching has been exposed time and time again for what it is.
Answer my question why was the founder of Jehovah witness linked to freemasonry?
What were the ocultic symbols doing in your magazine pages for so many years before it was removed due to public uproar?
Why is it jehovah witness teaching cannot withstand biblical scrutiny?

BY THEIR FRUIT YOU WILL KNOW! Matthew 7:15-20

It's not how far but how well.
Jesus never attended any rabbinic school.
He learnt and practiced carpentry till thirty years.
His teachings was heresy (say other groups)!
He died as a condemned criminal.
His followers were labelled evil sect.
All his Apostles (except John) were executed.
Till today, Jews(Jesus' own people) still view him as an impostor!

But they bear fine fruit as all those following them stands out! James 2:18-26

So it's the end result that matters according to Jesus, NOT the rumors surrounding the group!
Re: Does John 1.1 Mean ‘the Word Was A God’? by budaatum: 4:44pm On Oct 15, 2019
Maximus69:

There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever for Jesus Christ the carpenter! He would have taught at least one single lesson with hammers and nails if he had.

And while he may not have gone to rabbinical school he definitely was taught somewhere.

1 Like

Re: Does John 1.1 Mean ‘the Word Was A God’? by budaatum: 4:48pm On Oct 15, 2019
solite3:

Ignorance, basically, and the fear of the unknown.

You keep saying it for instance with no regard to any evidence because you know no better and are too afraid to research and learn.

1 Like

Re: Does John 1.1 Mean ‘the Word Was A God’? by Nobody: 5:01pm On Oct 15, 2019
Maximus69:

His teachings was heresy (say other groups)!
He died as a condemned criminal.
His followers were labelled evil sect.
All his Apostles (except John) were executed.
Till today, Jews(Jesus' own people) still view him as an impostor!

But they bear fine fruit as all those following them stands out! James 2:18-26

So it's the end result that matters according to Jesus, NOT the rumors surrounding the group!
You forgot its not just bearing fruit but the type of fruit matters. How can an organisation that has an history of lies, and also linked with occultism be from God?
How can an organisation that runs away from light be from God?
You call what you heard concerning jwo rumourns without finding out the truth even when your soul might be at stake?
Do you prefer jwo to truth?
Jesus perfomed miracles enough to convince people that he was teaching the truth.
His prophecies came to pass
His teachings never contradicted the bible rather it fulfilled it.
These are evidence to the truity of Jesus and his disciples

What are Jwo evidences?
Lies, contradictions, hatred towards christendom and unbiblical teachings.
Re: Does John 1.1 Mean ‘the Word Was A God’? by Janosky: 6:57pm On Oct 15, 2019
solite3:

You forgot its not just bearing fruit but the type of fruit matters. How can an organisation that has an history of lies, and also linked with occultism be from God?

Fictional claims of solite3 Pharisee and FRAUD theorist....
You no get shame dey yarn okpata for public forum.
Re: Does John 1.1 Mean ‘the Word Was A God’? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Oct 15, 2019
budaatum:

There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever for Jesus Christ the carpenter! He would have taught at least one single lesson with hammers and nails if he had.

And while he may not have gone to rabbinical school he definitely was taught somewhere.

Well his father Joseph was a carpenter {Matthew 15:33} and back then the first Jewish son in every family inherits the trade or handiwork of his father. That's why Jesus was also called the carpenter Mark 6:3

Jesus taught so many lessons, carpentry is the job of skilled men back then (Isaiah 44:13-14) that's why majority of his listeners can't grasp anything if he use tools or materials of carpentry to teach. So he mostly used fishing and farming (the business that's common amongst first century Jews) as illustrations!

Of course he learnt so much from his foster Jewish father Joseph, whose responsibility as a Jew is to teach his children everything he knew about God's law! Deuteronomy 6:6-7

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does John 1.1 Mean ‘the Word Was A God’? by budaatum: 7:22pm On Oct 15, 2019
Maximus69:

Well his father Joseph was a carpenter {Matthew 15:33} and back then the first Jewish son in every family inherits the trade or handiwork of his father. That's why Jesus was also called the carpenter Mark 6:3
I stand corrected though I doubt he was a carpenter. Not one single carpentry analogy or parable is a wonder.

2 Likes

Re: Does John 1.1 Mean ‘the Word Was A God’? by Nobody: 7:24pm On Oct 15, 2019
solite3:

You call what you heard concerning jwo rumourns without finding out the truth even when your soul might be at stake?
Do you prefer jwo to truth?
Jesus perfomed miracles enough to convince people that he was teaching the truth.
His prophecies came to pass
His teachings never contradicted the bible rather it fulfilled it.
These are evidence to the truity of Jesus and his disciples

What are Jwo evidences?
Lies, contradictions, hatred towards christendom and unbiblical teachings.

@bolded

They've succeeded in forming a big happy family of over 8,500,000 peace loving worshipers from all nations globally, in a world filled with Politics and Racism! Isaiah 2:1-4

The body is known globally as ONE! John 17:20-23
Whatever anyone says against them now is of no substance anymore! Galatians 5:23 smiley
Re: Does John 1.1 Mean ‘the Word Was A God’? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Oct 15, 2019
budaatum:

I stand corrected though I doubt he was a carpenter. Not one single carpentry analogy or parable is a wonder.

We all learn everyday.

Thanks! smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does John 1.1 Mean ‘the Word Was A God’? by Janosky: 7:29pm On Oct 15, 2019
solite3:

@1)
Jehovah witness organisation with all her supposed knowledge has failed in her predictions over the years and yet claim to be dishing out knowledge?

@2)
@3)
so you cant think outside what your organisation shove down your throat? You belong to a cult if you dont know.

@4)
@5)

@1).
Luke 19:11. 24:21. Acts 1:6,7.
Jesus Christ disciples made the same mistakes of having false expectations.
Pls,keep crying out loud.Na your headache be that
JWs have moved on and marching ahead.

2)
Trinity fraud theorist online and offline.
Garbage in garbage out.

@3)
You swallow hook line and sinker, the junk your pastorpreneur feeds you, you come online to make baseless,false allegations. Yet,you call yourself a Christian.
Whose voice does solite3 listen to?
Let's see the Evidence.....
(I)
You celebrate what Jesus never did,neither his followers.
(ii)
You pay consultancy fees to consult your pastorpreneurs , Jesus never did& NEVER approved such.
iii)
You pay membership fees to belong to your cult /franchise masquerading as church.Jesus & his disciples never did.
iv)
You pay tithes and a whole gamut of levies imposed in your cult/franchise, alien to what Christ preached and practice.
**Quantirinu to deceive yourself.

*(@4)
Solite3 fraud theorist,lying again.
Give us Mr Russell membership number and the Lodge he fraternised.
I challenge you to post a photo of your house roof and Church roof.

5**)
Jesus Christ, the servant of the God of Abraham.
(Acts3:13. Isaiah 43:10-12. Rev3:12-14) is a Jehovah's Witness. Mark1:14,15. Acts8:12.
"We must do the works of the One who sent me"
John 9:4.
Solite3, you have to swallow the bitter pill of truth.....
You have no other option.
Re: Does John 1.1 Mean ‘the Word Was A God’? by kkins25(m): 11:39pm On Oct 15, 2019
dVIA:
Ok

Halleluiah.
So also is it written in another holy book, there is no God but Allah and mohammed is his prophet.
Repent before the wrath of Almighty Allah befalls you. Repent!
Re: Does John 1.1 Mean ‘the Word Was A God’? by johnw47: 1:40am On Oct 16, 2019
Maximus69:

they will still open threads on faceless social media to call out Jehovah's Witnesses
cheesy

™false jw mad max

it is normal for christians to call out satans mob
and of course any who habitually lie as false jw's do belong to satan:

Joh 8:44  Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
Re: Does John 1.1 Mean ‘the Word Was A God’? by Nobody: 8:31am On Oct 29, 2020
That JW manipulated the Bible in their New World Translation is an open knowledge.

Those who are sincerely seeking for the Lord wil.find Him.

1 Like

Re: Does John 1.1 Mean ‘the Word Was A God’? by Janosky: 9:22pm On May 12, 2022

You know little of watch tower history try know about it.
You eternal fate depends on it.
Dont just follow know what you are following

Continue deceiving yourself typing GIBBERISH.
Re: Does John 1.1 Mean ‘the Word Was A God’? by Janosky: 9:48pm On May 12, 2022
That JW manipulated the Bible in their New World Translation is an open knowledge.

Those who are sincerely seeking for the Lord wil.find Him.
John 1:1 Emphatic Diaglott
"A god was the Word"

Sahidic Coptic Bible
"The word was a god"

Oga, you are LYING.
13 other Bible translations published by your Trinity mentors have similar renditions.
the
Re: Does John 1.1 Mean ‘the Word Was A God’? by Emusan(m): 12:01pm On May 18, 2022
Janosky:
John 1:1 Emphatic Diaglott
"A god was the Word"

Sahidic Coptic Bible
"The word was a god"

Not Mounce Greek interlinear this time grin cheesy grin grin cheesy grin

Oga, you are LYING.
13 other Bible translations published by your Trinity mentors have similar renditions

Which means these 13 Translations are all accurate, do you agree JaNosenses? cheesy grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Do You Think Of This Action? / Dancing With Devil In The Name Of Christain Music. This Call For Wisdom Rev13:18 / 20 Ondo Youths Die From Strange Illnesses Due To Sacrilege Done To Molokun, God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.