Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,304 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:32 AM

Facebook To Use Yoruba, Igbo Languages To Curb Fake News - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Facebook To Use Yoruba, Igbo Languages To Curb Fake News (6216 Views)

COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News / Facebook To Change The Names Of Instagram And Whatsapp / Oraimo To Curb Fake Phone Accessories In The Nigerian Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Facebook To Use Yoruba, Igbo Languages To Curb Fake News by TechPlace24(m): 2:15pm On Aug 15, 2019
Facebook has revealed that it will fight fake news on its platform using Yoruba and Igbo languages, NAN report.

Facebook’s Head of Public Policy, Africa, Kojo Boakye, said in a statement on Wednesday in Lagos, that the two languages were in addition to Hausa language, already supported by the platform.

Facebook was collaborating with Africa Check to add new local language support for several African languages as part of its Third-Party Fact-Checking programme, Boakye said.

He said that the programme would help to assess the accuracy of news on Facebook, and reduce the spread of misinformation.

According to him, the programme was launched in 2018 across five countries in Sub-Saharan Africa, which included South Africa, Kenya, Nigeria, Senegal and Cameroon.

Boakye said: ”Facebook has partnered with Africa Check, Africa’s first independent fact-checking organisation, to expand its local language coverage across Nigeria (Yoruba and Igbo), adding to Hausa which was already supported.

”We have also expanded our local language coverage across Kenya (Swahili), Senegal (Wolof), as well as South Africa (Afrikaans, Zulu, Setswana, Sotho, Northern Sotho and Southern Ndebele).

”We continue to make significant investments in our efforts to fight the spread of false news on our platform, whilst building supportive, safe, informed and inclusive communities.

”Our third-party fact-checking programme is just one of many ways we are doing this, and with the expansion of local language coverage, this will help in further improving the quality of information people see on Facebook.

”We know there is still more to do, and we are committed to this.”

The Executive Director, Africa Check, Noko Makgato said that the organisation was delighted to be expanding the arsenal of the languages it covered in its work on Facebook’s third-party fact-checking programme.

Makgato said that in countries as linguistically diverse as Nigeria, South Africa, Kenya and Senegal, fact-checking in local languages was vital.

”Not only does it let us fact-check more content on Facebook, it also means we will be reaching more people across Africa with verified, credible information,” he said.

Read More At; https://www.techplace24.com/2019/08/15/facebook-to-use-yoruba-igbo-languages-to-curb-fake-news/

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Facebook To Use Yoruba, Igbo Languages To Curb Fake News by greall12(m): 4:47pm On Aug 15, 2019
Re: Facebook To Use Yoruba, Igbo Languages To Curb Fake News by Lanrextop23333(m): 4:47pm On Aug 15, 2019
How
Re: Facebook To Use Yoruba, Igbo Languages To Curb Fake News by ednut1(m): 4:48pm On Aug 15, 2019
i have no problem with fake news. its those with low IQ who believe them that are the issue. i.e trump to storm nigeria over FG/ipob unrest. smh

33 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Facebook To Use Yoruba, Igbo Languages To Curb Fake News by Legitn(m): 4:48pm On Aug 15, 2019
Really we shall see
Re: Facebook To Use Yoruba, Igbo Languages To Curb Fake News by Kentuforchrist(m): 4:48pm On Aug 15, 2019
tongue ok
Re: Facebook To Use Yoruba, Igbo Languages To Curb Fake News by rhythyson: 4:48pm On Aug 15, 2019
We are waiting...
Re: Facebook To Use Yoruba, Igbo Languages To Curb Fake News by Leihe: 4:48pm On Aug 15, 2019
grin
Re: Facebook To Use Yoruba, Igbo Languages To Curb Fake News by Dhortunn(m): 4:49pm On Aug 15, 2019
Dear Copy & Paste Blogger,

This writeup doesn't explain anything.

1 Like

Re: Facebook To Use Yoruba, Igbo Languages To Curb Fake News by visijo(m): 4:49pm On Aug 15, 2019
The easiest way to commit Suicide is to put on Real Madrid Jersey written Sergio Ramos at the back and walk around in Cairo, Egypt.

�����

7 Likes

Re: Facebook To Use Yoruba, Igbo Languages To Curb Fake News by Nobody: 4:49pm On Aug 15, 2019
una go tire
Re: Facebook To Use Yoruba, Igbo Languages To Curb Fake News by Legendguru: 4:50pm On Aug 15, 2019
oh
Re: Facebook To Use Yoruba, Igbo Languages To Curb Fake News by Guestlander: 4:50pm On Aug 15, 2019
Aba made news is not good for you.
Re: Facebook To Use Yoruba, Igbo Languages To Curb Fake News by MaryMicheal: 4:52pm On Aug 15, 2019

Re: Facebook To Use Yoruba, Igbo Languages To Curb Fake News by Bellotelli: 4:53pm On Aug 15, 2019
That's because only the yorubas nd igbos carry fake news.
Re: Facebook To Use Yoruba, Igbo Languages To Curb Fake News by mixta140: 4:54pm On Aug 15, 2019
Oh!!!!
Re: Facebook To Use Yoruba, Igbo Languages To Curb Fake News by Lugianostar(m): 4:55pm On Aug 15, 2019
Fake news as emanated from sources of grapevine has eaten deep in our system in all spheres of our endeavors and it is now a menace we ought to stop indefinitely.

Let us how see how it will make an head way in proffering solution to that.
Re: Facebook To Use Yoruba, Igbo Languages To Curb Fake News by dubra: 4:57pm On Aug 15, 2019
rudeG52137:
my people this is a scam, don't fall to this, all these Facebook beneficiary accounts are fake, it's all in other to entice the gullibles, don't fall for this scam
Re: Facebook To Use Yoruba, Igbo Languages To Curb Fake News by tstx(m): 5:00pm On Aug 15, 2019
And other languages... Not just yoruba and igbo
Re: Facebook To Use Yoruba, Igbo Languages To Curb Fake News by iamgprince: 5:02pm On Aug 15, 2019
i no consign me
Re: Facebook To Use Yoruba, Igbo Languages To Curb Fake News by Jeezuzpick(m): 5:07pm On Aug 15, 2019
Na only Yoruba and Igbo languages dey Naija?
Re: Facebook To Use Yoruba, Igbo Languages To Curb Fake News by Nobody: 5:14pm On Aug 15, 2019
Lanrextop23333:
How
good question ogar how?
Re: Facebook To Use Yoruba, Igbo Languages To Curb Fake News by bravesoul247(m): 5:22pm On Aug 15, 2019
Kudos to Facebook cos the spread of fake news has been so rampant of late. Earlier today, there was a major fire outbreak in Ikeja but I read before then that it was at Computer village, whereas it happened at Ikeja GRA. Had to zoom pictures with my TECNO Phantom 9 to get exactly what happened. Too bad I mistakenly deleted the pictures.
Re: Facebook To Use Yoruba, Igbo Languages To Curb Fake News by Godwin2am(m): 5:27pm On Aug 15, 2019
THATS GOOD NEWS ON MY FB PAGE 1 CAN TARGET AUDIENCE IN A PARTICULAR LOCAL REGION GIVE THEM INFORMATION OF OTHER LOCATION

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wants To Download 2go On My N900 / Interesting] 4 Ways To Read Whatsapp Message Without The Sender Knowing / Gionee Android Phone Price In Nigeria – Cheap On Jumia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.