Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,300 members, 7,815,541 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:12 PM

Mtn Rejects My Signed, Stamped & Sealed Court Affidavit For Self ID - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Mtn Rejects My Signed, Stamped & Sealed Court Affidavit For Self ID (1261 Views)

Please Do I Still Need To Do Affidavit Before Replacing My SIM? / A Nigerian Man Rejects 5G Phone Worth N370K / Security Firm Bypassed Iphone X Face ID With 3D Face Mask Model (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mtn Rejects My Signed, Stamped & Sealed Court Affidavit For Self ID by Major001(m): 2:23pm On Aug 15, 2019
Sadly, a short while back, my wallet went missing. And with it went my National ID Card and some cash.

The National ID card was my sole government approved ID.

Meanwhile, I got a few text messages from MTN requesting I update my account info to ensure my phone line isn’t blocked by 19th of August.
A government approved ID was required.

Concerned, I called the customer care service and narrated my ordeal…stating that I had no government approved ID at the moment.

I asked if a duly signed court affidavit for self identification was acceptable for the required info update.

They firmly assured me it was.

So, this morning I dashed down to The Chief Magistrate Court Of Lagos State at Sabo, Yaba, where I paid and obtained a duly signed, stamped, and sealed affidavit…containing all my personal details.

However, on getting to the MTN store, at e-center, Sabo, Yaba, my affidavit was rejected outright on the grounds that it was ‘irrelevant’ for the account info update. In fact the person that was to attend to me didn’t as much as read through the document. The instant they learned it was an affidavit they silenced me with a huge NO!

Surprised at their rejection of what I felt was a strong legal document, I resorted to pleading with them…but it all fell on deaf ears.

With a strong air of indifference they told me to go and get another ID or risk my line being cut off on the said date.

Well, I’m off to start processing another National ID Card…hoping to beat the line-blocking deadline.

But I am compelled to wonder at MTN’s utter disregard for a duly sworn affidavit issued by a respectable chief magistrate court of law domiciled in Lagos, Nigeria.

On a final note: isn’t it time MTN and other telecoms companies develop a system where things like account update info can be done by customers from their mobile devices…a DIY platform?

Must we always visit a store or center for such kindergarten things?

May God deliver us from the curse of ‘choosing’ to remain a third world nation.
Re: Mtn Rejects My Signed, Stamped & Sealed Court Affidavit For Self ID by ITbomb(m): 2:37pm On Aug 15, 2019
This week I'm making my last calls on MTN, I'm not renewing my data or recharging anymore.

After registering for 4 times and they still not have my records, I think it's time to switch back to Glo/Airtel combo

At least, these ones they don't have overcrowded service centers with rude agents
Re: Mtn Rejects My Signed, Stamped & Sealed Court Affidavit For Self ID by psucc(m): 2:53pm On Aug 15, 2019
That's how low Nigeria has been reduced to. Imagine a company refusing to honour a court paper.

Would have ask you to seek redress in the court, but sadly our learned gentlemen will turn the courtroom to a theater and even the court itself will blame itself for is suing such paper once MTN doles out some wads of dollars

3 Likes

Re: Mtn Rejects My Signed, Stamped & Sealed Court Affidavit For Self ID by ZesusHVWritter(m): 4:19pm On Aug 15, 2019
The simple truth is this, why other countries even in Africa would treat their customers and business partners alike with high esteem and regard. In Nigeria, customers get toss around.

It's amazing how after registering your cell number and providing details such as, your name, fingerprints, mother's middle name, your facial print or passport. When your simcard gets damaged or missing, you still get to provide your national identity card, court affidavit which according to you now is now regarded as useless to mtn.

My question is, why all the demands of these details when, when it becomes necessary to use them they are ignored?
I have no regrets being a Nigerian, but I will say this. In the next two years, things will change, Nigerians brace yourself for impact.

1 Like

Re: Mtn Rejects My Signed, Stamped & Sealed Court Affidavit For Self ID by Nobody: 5:12pm On Aug 15, 2019
All these tech companies in Nigeria are late on this stuff..
Re: Mtn Rejects My Signed, Stamped & Sealed Court Affidavit For Self ID by Kingsean(m): 7:04pm On Aug 15, 2019
grin
Major001:
Sadly, a short while back, my wallet went missing. And with it went my National ID Card and some cash.

Meanwhile, I got a few text messages from MTN requesting I update my account info to ensure my phone line isn’t blocked by 19th of August.

Concerned, I called the customer care service and narrated my ordeal…stating that I had no government approved ID at the moment.

I asked if a duly signed court affidavit for self identification was acceptable for the required info update.

So, this morning I dashed down to The Chief Magistrate Court Of Lagos State at Sabo, Yaba, where I paid and obtained a duly signed, stamped, and sealed affidavit…containing all my personal details.

However, on getting to the MTN store, at e-center, Sabo, Yaba, my affidavit was rejected outright on the grounds that it was ‘irrelevant’ for the account info update. In fact the person that was to attend to me didn’t as much as read through the document. The instant they learned it was an affidavit they silenced me with a huge NO!

Surprised at their rejection of what I felt was a strong legal document, I resorted to pleading with them…but it all fell on deaf ears.

With a strong air of indifference they told me to go and get another ID or risk my line being cut off on the said date.

Well, I’m off to start processing another National ID Card…hoping to beat the line-blocking deadline.

But I am compelled to wonder at MTN’s utter disregard for a duly sworn affidavit issued by a respectable chief magistrate court of law domiciled in Lagos, Nigeria.

On a final note: isn’t it time MTN and other telecoms companies develop a system where things like account update info can be done by customers from their mobile devices…a DIY platform?

if you have your original Nysc discharge certificate, make a copy and take it there. as for me, am dumping my mtn sim this week cos av already borrowed 500naira on it on purpose grin
Major001:

if you have your original Nysc discharge certificate, make a copy and take it there. as for me, am dumping my mtn sim this week cos av already borrowed 500naira on it on purpose

1 Like

Re: Mtn Rejects My Signed, Stamped & Sealed Court Affidavit For Self ID by Cletus77(m): 12:53am On Aug 16, 2019
I know MTN misbehaves at times but I think they were right on this one...
Mr Op, affidavit is only required for line retrieval if you don't have a valid ID or the Sim pack, not for Sim update..

If you check the means of identification in an MTN system, you'll only see voter's ID, National ID, Drivers license and others, and you compounded your problem by visiting the office during a period they're trying to get rid of the traffic in their office because of the large number of people going for update. And I trust MTN, they won't attend to you even if you bring all the credentials you possess grin

Just visit any MTN outlet, pay at least #200 and they'll get it done for you..if you were in Ph..I would have invited you to my shop so you can update it even without any ID. The thing is that Nigerians love free things a lot. At the office, it's free and stressful buh outside, you'll pay a maximum of #200 or #300 to get it done without any stress...

Most of the things, these service providers require heaven and earth for are just simple things they can just carry out but they'll like to make it look complicated because you no say na office, they'll try to make everything look official and legit whereas it shouldn't be that cumbersome...

They're very wrong if they spoke harshly to you or refused to attend to your pleas after all the stress you went through and money you spent..

So I apologise on their behalf..na so Dem dey mumu at times..no vex

(1) (Reply)

Samsung S6 Edge Black free pouch and screen guard@35k In Lagos/ibadan/osun / Super Offer For Xsmax 256gb / Redmi Note 8 Vs Oppo Realme 3 Pro

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.