Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,624 members, 7,827,333 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:42 AM

Maritime Stakeholders Give Reasons For Underutilization Of Eastern Ports - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Maritime Stakeholders Give Reasons For Underutilization Of Eastern Ports (186 Views)

Tolu Ogunlesi's Tweets About The Revival Of The Eastern Ports. / Why Vessels Avoid Eastern Ports — NPA Boss / Kogi APC Stakeholders Give Conditions For Genuine Reconciliation With Gov. Bello (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Maritime Stakeholders Give Reasons For Underutilization Of Eastern Ports by ashiwaju2010(m): 10:40am On Aug 16, 2019
Today, August 15, 2019, the Ad hoc committee set up by the House of Representatives to “determine why the Warri, Port Harcourt, Onne, Calabar and Onitsha Inland ports are not being put to maximum use” started public hearing. Civil societies, MDAs, maritime stakeholders, security agencies and other interested members of the public were in attendance.

The public hearing availed us the opportunity to discuss with maritime stakeholders on the issues that have caused the underutilisation of the Eastern ports and proffer solutions to this national disgrace.

The stakeholders listed poor infrastructure at the ports, lack of motorable inter state roads, shallow waterway channels, and security as the major problems causing the underutilisation of the Eastern ports.

In my submission, I noted that the Apapa gridlock is a national disgrace, and that stakeholders should be more concerned with proferring solutions than listing the problems, as these problems have been known for years. Finding solutions is the main reason for the institutiom of the committee. I also bemoaned the fact that the Nigerian Navy is still using the British hydrographic Chart of 1903.

I challenged the stakeholders to be more proactive in proffering solutions to the problem, as we must get it right this time by ensuring that the Eastern ports are put to maximal use.

The chairman of the Committee, Hon. Baba Yusuf Yakub assured Nigerians that the Committee is committed to ensuring the decongestion of the Lagos ports and the full utilisation of the Eastern ports.

The ad-hoc committee shall also hold public hearings with stakeholders in Port Harcourt, Onitsha, and Lagos in a bid to ensuring a holistic approach towards solving the problem. The committee also plans to visit all the ports concerned.

#IfeanyichukwuIbezi

(1) (Reply)

Operation Beat Sense Into Their Heads! / Ipob’s Nnamdi Kanu Finally Breaks Silence On Ekweremadu Assault / Why Can't Wike Fight Crime In Rivers State The Way Amaechi Did?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.