Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,292 members, 7,811,874 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:53 PM

Unilag Student Activist Olorunfemi Remains Suspended After Seven Semesters - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Unilag Student Activist Olorunfemi Remains Suspended After Seven Semesters (28648 Views)

Olorunfemi Adeyeye Graduates After 7 Years / UNILAG Reinstates Olorunfemi Adeyeye, Rusticated Student Activist / Ifemosu Micheal: Why I Was Expelled From The University― FUNAAB Student Activist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unilag Student Activist Olorunfemi Remains Suspended After Seven Semesters by TmKonzept: 1:49pm On Aug 16, 2019

Adeyeye was suspended for four semesters in 2016 by the disciplinary panel of the institution over his Facebook page exposing the unpleasant academic condition of the school to the public.

See the critique that got him suspended:
https://www.nairaland.com/3310038/adeyeye-olorunfemi-rusticated-unilag-facebook

The management of the University of Lagos has failed to reinstate Femi Adeyeye, a student union activist, after serving a suspension for seven academic semesters.

Adeyeye was suspended for four semesters by the disciplinary panel of the institution over his Facebook page exposing the unpleasant academic condition of the school to the public.

However, three semesters after the initial four-semester served, Adeyeye has yet to be accepted into the institution, with the school management blocking his access to his student portal

Adeyeye revealed that he had written several letters to the Dean of Students’ Affairs, Director of Academic Affairs and Centre for Information Technology and Systems (C.I.T.S) on the continuous deactivation of his student portal.

Adeyeye, in a statement, detailed the event that led to the revocation of his studentship by the UNILAG management.

He said, “It will be recalled that on April 6,7 and 8 of 2016, students at the University of Lagos embarked on protests, placing on the table of the management demands as ”basic” as adequate power supply, water for bathing, drinking and cooking for survival.
“This came after several appeals at the management led by Prof. Rahman Bello (who is now under questioning for misappropriation and gross abuse of office) for better welfarism. The welfare situation was as bad as students buying bags of sachet water to bathe and most females became regular customers at perfumes shops

“Instead of addressing the issue, the Senate brought in armed-to-the-teeth police officers to chase students out of the campus. The violence meted on students by the poorly trained officers left many injured.

“The campus was eventually shut down and the Students’ Union suspended illegally. It was at the heat of these events, I was invited to a panel and thereafter suspended unjustly for four semesters for writing an article on my Facebook timeline.

“Till this moment, my student portal remains under lock and key and there has not been any hope towards activating it from those in charge due to reasons unknown to both me and members of the public who have been following the whole sage. The internet has almost all these events of repression and torture documented but I would, in this statement, highlight some in a chronological pattern.”

Femi Adeyeye and Prof. Wole Soyinka

Adeyeye also lamented the repression of students’ rights and ban of students’ union of a tertiary institution in the country positing that the move was made to gag students against speaking and demanding for their rights from the institution.
He said, “Till this moment, students still live in fear and lack on their campuses- from issues of insecurity to poor welfare. The issues raised remain unattended to by the authorities.

“What needs to be saved is the Nigerian educational system that has been led by characters who are bereft of ideas on administration, management, conflict resolution and even scholarship. These deficiencies, inadequacies and inabilities have had a lot of effects on the total build-up of young people of my generation.
“It is also noteworthy that the attacks on freedom of association by the Management cannot be allowed to stand

https://tmkonzept.com/unilag-student-activist-olorunfemi-remains-suspended-after-seven-semester/

17 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Unilag Student Activist Olorunfemi Remains Suspended After Seven Semesters by CheapDataGuy: 8:10pm On Aug 17, 2019
angry
Re: Unilag Student Activist Olorunfemi Remains Suspended After Seven Semesters by helinues: 8:10pm On Aug 17, 2019
Alutalise with brain

9 Likes

Re: Unilag Student Activist Olorunfemi Remains Suspended After Seven Semesters by Lexusgs430: 8:11pm On Aug 17, 2019
Decide which part of the divide you want to be...... How has his whistle-blower activities, helped him........

He probably did not earn 1kobo from it...... All he got was a picture with the Prof...... .. grin

48 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Unilag Student Activist Olorunfemi Remains Suspended After Seven Semesters by folake4u(f): 8:11pm On Aug 17, 2019
SUG is dead in this country

29 Likes

Re: Unilag Student Activist Olorunfemi Remains Suspended After Seven Semesters by ABSTRUSE: 8:12pm On Aug 17, 2019
This is not good
Re: Unilag Student Activist Olorunfemi Remains Suspended After Seven Semesters by michlins(m): 8:12pm On Aug 17, 2019
Our institutions are established to kill the spirit in you so you can accept everything life throws at you without questions

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Unilag Student Activist Olorunfemi Remains Suspended After Seven Semesters by ainas247: 8:12pm On Aug 17, 2019
sad Nigeria hate the truth...
God will help us one day

Rank your business on Google
Fast check result below

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unilag Student Activist Olorunfemi Remains Suspended After Seven Semesters by AgreatMan: 8:13pm On Aug 17, 2019
Sorry bro, but u were stewpeed. There is a time for everything.

2 Likes

Re: Unilag Student Activist Olorunfemi Remains Suspended After Seven Semesters by martowskin1(m): 8:13pm On Aug 17, 2019
If ur parents are not wealthy enough to give u second option, u better respect ur self and graduate.....

Don't kill ur self and vision for this stupid nation

61 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unilag Student Activist Olorunfemi Remains Suspended After Seven Semesters by ahmg001(m): 8:14pm On Aug 17, 2019
This is pure injustice...and we cant as an individual, nations to continue to create people with the mindset of nothing to loose...injustice breeds injustice

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unilag Student Activist Olorunfemi Remains Suspended After Seven Semesters by Kay25(m): 8:14pm On Aug 17, 2019
eeyah sowi Bro but that is th country we are in u speak the truth u die and u don't speak u die but faster u die when u speak the truth so choose wisely

1 Like

Re: Unilag Student Activist Olorunfemi Remains Suspended After Seven Semesters by phenzy(m): 8:15pm On Aug 17, 2019
Justice must surely prevail...Femi my guy
Re: Unilag Student Activist Olorunfemi Remains Suspended After Seven Semesters by AleAirHub(m): 8:16pm On Aug 17, 2019
What a pity embarassed
Re: Unilag Student Activist Olorunfemi Remains Suspended After Seven Semesters by Tpave(m): 8:17pm On Aug 17, 2019
It is well. If you can't beat them, you can join them. This is Naija for you. Sowore in my mind
Re: Unilag Student Activist Olorunfemi Remains Suspended After Seven Semesters by vibbb: 8:18pm On Aug 17, 2019
Don't worry Femi Adeyeye, u will be recalled just keep hope alive. You just got yourself qualified for naija politics, I see you rising to become naija presido someday.

#StayStrongandKeepFightingForYourRight.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unilag Student Activist Olorunfemi Remains Suspended After Seven Semesters by friendlyadvice: 8:18pm On Aug 17, 2019
grin grin from activist to illiterate

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Unilag Student Activist Olorunfemi Remains Suspended After Seven Semesters by Lamasta(m): 8:18pm On Aug 17, 2019
This is pure injustice and must not be condoned by any right thinking individual aba must we keep silent when things are not normal

1 Like

Re: Unilag Student Activist Olorunfemi Remains Suspended After Seven Semesters by Sleekfun: 8:18pm On Aug 17, 2019
Guy you self na wa ooo ... 7semesters meaning 3years and 1semester, cant you travel abroad...get your bsc there ...come back serve your country and when you are capable financially you can bring up this case... Are you waiting for a train to move instead you join a moving train ... Great Nigerian Student !!!!

9 Likes

Re: Unilag Student Activist Olorunfemi Remains Suspended After Seven Semesters by RolyRoly: 8:18pm On Aug 17, 2019
Kk
Re: Unilag Student Activist Olorunfemi Remains Suspended After Seven Semesters by Ellyboy01: 8:19pm On Aug 17, 2019
Dis is Nigeria wher everyone care less of the sacrifice u made.I think u ave learnt some lessons in dis hard time of urs.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Unilag Student Activist Olorunfemi Remains Suspended After Seven Semesters by INTEGRITYA1(m): 8:20pm On Aug 17, 2019
In actual sense, freedom is not free.

1 Like

Re: Unilag Student Activist Olorunfemi Remains Suspended After Seven Semesters by larryking540: 8:21pm On Aug 17, 2019
if that guy get d money make he move go another country, but its some how, day suspend u for2 years and u still day beg make day collect u back, na wa, na so u like unilag certificate ?

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Unilag Student Activist Olorunfemi Remains Suspended After Seven Semesters by dman4mdmoon(m): 8:22pm On Aug 17, 2019
Hmmmm
Re: Unilag Student Activist Olorunfemi Remains Suspended After Seven Semesters by Mac2016(m): 8:26pm On Aug 17, 2019
I lost this guys number somehow. I remember our encounter in Abuja in 2016. I never knew he was an activist and he never had any issues with school authorities then.
I hope unilag will recall him soon

2 Likes

Re: Unilag Student Activist Olorunfemi Remains Suspended After Seven Semesters by Okoroawusa: 8:26pm On Aug 17, 2019
Guy just go to school, graduate n take care of the ppl that laboured to put you through school.

Student Unionism died with the military era

14 Likes

Re: Unilag Student Activist Olorunfemi Remains Suspended After Seven Semesters by Ugosample(m): 8:28pm On Aug 17, 2019
This country is fvcked

Our institutions fvcked

Olorunfemi pls move on and find something else doing

You fought a good fight

too bad most Nigerians (students especially) are too fvcked in the head to support the movement

Move on to other endeavours

8 Likes

Re: Unilag Student Activist Olorunfemi Remains Suspended After Seven Semesters by Ugosample(m): 8:35pm On Aug 17, 2019
Just go abroad or something
leave this failed nigger contraption and it's shitty school behind write gre and other exams that could aid you getting a school abroad

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Crawford University Staff Shaving A Student’s Beard In Igbesa / Help I Got Into A Fight With A Cultist / ASUU: Massive Number Of Students May Be Disenfranchised, We Are Considering This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.