Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,165 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:56 AM

2023: No End To Zoning Until South/North East Produce President - Orji Kalu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023: No End To Zoning Until South/North East Produce President - Orji Kalu (12770 Views)

It’s My Turn To Be Senate President - Orji Uzor Kalu Declares / 2023: Abaribe, Ekweremadu Lose Out As PDP Orders Strict Compliance To Zoning / APC Governors: No To Zoning, Presidential Ticket Open To All (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

2023: No End To Zoning Until South/North East Produce President - Orji Kalu by Handsomecole(m): 6:28am On Aug 17, 2019
The Chief Whip of the Senate, Orji Uzor Kalu, has cautioned the northern political elite against canvassing an end to rotational presidency as from 2023.

Kalu, a two-term governor of Abia State, stated this in an interview with our correspondent in Abuja following the call by the Governor of Kaduna State, Nasir el-Rufai, for an end to power shift in the country.

He maintained that nobody should canvass an end to power shift until the South-East and the North-East geopolitical zones had produced the President of Nigeria.

The principal officer of the senate noted that the agreement at the end of the 1978 national conference was that all the major ethnic groups in Nigeria must produce the President on a rotational basis.

He said, “Calling for an end to the zoning arrangement now will not bring peace to Nigeria. We have to complete the zoning system. That was the agreement at the earlier constitutional conference. All the major ethnic groups must produce the President before we would all agree that zoning has ended.

“Canvassing the abolition of rotational presidency at this point is not in the interest of the country. It will not bring about unity. Anybody that is saying that the zoning arrangement for the Presidency of Nigeria should be abolished now is trying to cause civil and constitutional crisis which is not good for the society.

“We should manage the crises at hand carefully in this country without causing further havoc. Currently, the unity of the country is under threat with the insecurity of lives and property across Nigeria.”

Kalu warned against causing disunity among Nigerians but rather, everyone must work together to bring the nation back to a stable and peaceful state.

“Governor el-Rufai should know that the South-East and the North-East must produce the President before his call for the abolition of rotational presidency could be considered and adopted.

“Once the two zones have produced the President of Nigeria,  then the position could be free for all. We have started the current zoning arrangement and we can’t change the rules in the middle of the game,” he said.

https://punchng.com/kalu-cautions-northern-elite-campaigning-against-zoning/amp/

8 Likes

Re: 2023: No End To Zoning Until South/North East Produce President - Orji Kalu by helinues: 6:29am On Aug 17, 2019
Only if those 2 zones have credible and marketable candidates.. If not, Dem go wait so tey

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: No End To Zoning Until South/North East Produce President - Orji Kalu by Classicdexy(m): 6:30am On Aug 17, 2019
We know but u and okorocha is not gonna represent the south east

14 Likes

Re: 2023: No End To Zoning Until South/North East Produce President - Orji Kalu by jumobi1(m): 6:31am On Aug 17, 2019
North Central nko?

1 Like

Re: 2023: No End To Zoning Until South/North East Produce President - Orji Kalu by oyebanji44: 6:31am On Aug 17, 2019
l can't imagine,How could any of these two regions hope to cling to power.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: No End To Zoning Until South/North East Produce President - Orji Kalu by Joshmodest(m): 6:34am On Aug 17, 2019
El rufai has a point , cos I personally don't understand why In a totally black nation , we have to be rotating power among regions whether they have credible candidates or not ,
But in this context Orji uzor kalu has said something reasonable for once , El rufai should have said this earlier , why saying it now probably cos he has interest in ruling come 2025 ....
El rufai is looking for a way to marginalize the regions that haven't produced candidates , until those regions have ruled , power rotation must continue !
It's interesting tribalism in Nigeria is way bigger than racism !

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: No End To Zoning Until South/North East Produce President - Orji Kalu by namiji2598: 6:34am On Aug 17, 2019
Na thunder go punish this government

Na thunder go punish all scammers of all kind
If they tell me say, dem go scam me for this world, i for no believe

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2023: No End To Zoning Until South/North East Produce President - Orji Kalu by nairalee(m): 6:34am On Aug 17, 2019
Lol these hausa folks have got some mad ace up their sleeves. If not for public outcry they will rule forever

3 Likes

Re: 2023: No End To Zoning Until South/North East Produce President - Orji Kalu by Nobody: 6:34am On Aug 17, 2019
True.
Why didn't Yoruba's compete with Jonathan in 2015, why did they had to rely on northern man to win so that they can be VP? So I see no wrong in Igbo's standing behind northerners in 2023.
I heard APC will give tinubu(a Muslim) the tickets , imagine tinubu doing 8 years as president and another Muslim northerner take over and do 8 years, we'll have 23 years of Muslim rule. That's bad.
Osibanjo should be given the ticket if APC will give south west

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: No End To Zoning Until South/North East Produce President - Orji Kalu by Wickedfacts: 6:36am On Aug 17, 2019
In 2003, Ojukwu contested Nigeria's Presidency and all he could get from the SE was 1M votes.

In 2007, this same OUK contested for Presidency under PPA and he got 3M votes.

Politics is all about persuasion, negotiation, tact and winning others to your side. Till the SE does that, nothing for them. 3M votes are nothing.

You can't compel others to vote for you.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: No End To Zoning Until South/North East Produce President - Orji Kalu by sexyboy193: 6:39am On Aug 17, 2019
On the condition that their mentality will not be to divide Nigeria.
Re: 2023: No End To Zoning Until South/North East Produce President - Orji Kalu by Smithkafors(m): 6:40am On Aug 17, 2019
Anything outside southeast 2023 is wasting his or her time.I go d una like film.You thing the SS/SE in APC are wasting their time,wait till 2023 i go d una like movie.

1 Like

Re: 2023: No End To Zoning Until South/North East Produce President - Orji Kalu by Smithkafors(m): 6:40am On Aug 17, 2019
Anything outside southeast 2023 is wasting his or her time.I go d una like film.You thing the SS/SE in APC are wasting their time,wait till 2023 i go d una like movie.They will support PDP.watch and see.
Re: 2023: No End To Zoning Until South/North East Produce President - Orji Kalu by Wickedfacts: 6:43am On Aug 17, 2019
Smithkafors:
Anything outside southeast 2023 is wasting his or her time.I go d una like film.You thing the SS/SE in APC are wasting their time,wait till 2023 i go d una like movie.They will support PDP.watch and see.

The SS has produced 6 years of Presidency and 2 years of Vice Presidency. Don't lump them with the SE which hasn't produced anything.

That being said, the SE has always been supporting the PDP even when Igbos were on the ballot in other pasties. I don't think 2023 would be any different. Not that they have a choice anyway. The Ohaneze has constantly said APC is not welcome to Igbos. That's why they ostracised Jude Idimogu when he joined APC in Lagos. That's why OUK, Okorocha and Co are disliked by Igbos who love Ikpeazu.

So, the SE can stick with PDP and let other regions play their politics. The SE doesn't have a choice outside PDP. The SE is practicing party slavery. Slaves to Pdp.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: No End To Zoning Until South/North East Produce President - Orji Kalu by Joshmodest(m): 6:44am On Aug 17, 2019
Igbosmoker:
True.
Why didn't Yoruba's compete with Jonathan in 2015, why did they had to rely on northern man to win so that they can be VP? So I see no wrong in Igbo's standing behind northerners in 2023.
I heard APC will give tinubu(a Muslim) the tickets , imagine tinubu doing 8 years as president and another Muslim northerner take over and do 8 years, we'll have 23 years of Muslim rule. That's bad.
"23 years of Muslim rule. That's bad ."
Really ?
When would the religious rotation reach the side of we traditional worshippers ?

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023: No End To Zoning Until South/North East Produce President - Orji Kalu by Factgist: 6:45am On Aug 17, 2019
Lol
Re: 2023: No End To Zoning Until South/North East Produce President - Orji Kalu by Nobody: 6:46am On Aug 17, 2019
The build up to 2023 would be so interesting..

1 Like

Re: 2023: No End To Zoning Until South/North East Produce President - Orji Kalu by kehinde1588(m): 6:50am On Aug 17, 2019
Orji Kalu is a respected Igbo man. Power is coming to the south come 2023, Elrufia is not that powerful to stop that

1 Like

Re: 2023: No End To Zoning Until South/North East Produce President - Orji Kalu by salbis(m): 6:51am On Aug 17, 2019
Una just enter office, una no contribute anything aside enjoying our commonwealth, yet una don start to dey talk about 2023. Bunch of thieves.

1 Like

Re: 2023: No End To Zoning Until South/North East Produce President - Orji Kalu by aku626(m): 6:52am On Aug 17, 2019
Kettles and pots
Re: 2023: No End To Zoning Until South/North East Produce President - Orji Kalu by VivaDeAngelo(m): 6:52am On Aug 17, 2019
Which one is Northeast again? I know OUK will always say something to pacify his masters.
Re: 2023: No End To Zoning Until South/North East Produce President - Orji Kalu by Criticaltemp: 6:53am On Aug 17, 2019
Zoning or no zoning.. We need Biafra.. This one is talking for his pocket..

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: No End To Zoning Until South/North East Produce President - Orji Kalu by osusuallstars: 6:53am On Aug 17, 2019
helinues:
Only if those 2 zones have credible and marketable candidates.. If not, Dem go wait so tey

Bihari is marketable ?
your father
Re: 2023: No End To Zoning Until South/North East Produce President - Orji Kalu by Toscarele: 6:54am On Aug 17, 2019
we are still in an election year that was massively rigged and these ones are planning again

1 Like

Re: 2023: No End To Zoning Until South/North East Produce President - Orji Kalu by helinues: 6:55am On Aug 17, 2019
osusuallstars:

Bihari is marketable ?
your father

Good weekend here. You want e-drinks?

2 Likes

Re: 2023: No End To Zoning Until South/North East Produce President - Orji Kalu by allytinted: 7:00am On Aug 17, 2019
Igbosmoker:
True.

Re: 2023: No End To Zoning Until South/North East Produce President - Orji Kalu by Nobody: 7:01am On Aug 17, 2019
helinues:
Like the one we have now?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Senate Battle: Ebonyi APC Expels Ann Agom-Eze / Margaret Obi And Hajiya Datti Hold Town Hall Meeting With Katsina State Women / Fayose Visits Venue Of Buhari's So-called London Interview [photos]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.