Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,327 members, 7,815,650 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:54 PM

Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony (3430 Views)

When Hell Overflows. Story By Ufuoma Seunnla / A Lonely Heart (A Story) / "No Pleasure For Dead Girls" A Story By Mancrimes.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 12:04pm On Aug 18, 2019
This story is based on true life event. It depicts love, kindness, Goodness and accepting the reality of life. No one is perfect. No one has it all.

This imperfect piece is still up for review. Never been proofread. I'm open to criticisms from the highest to the lowest critics. Thanks.

The former story titled "The rain" is still in the process of completion.

Take your time as you're been swayed by a guy in Transit.

1 Share

Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 12:12pm On Aug 18, 2019
Cc:

Royver

Slap1

Divepen1

Slickest

Classcaptain

Pocahantas

Darousmart

And the main Oga and Madam

Onemansquad Psalmology Lildrizzle Bluestarry macpetrus. Uthman51 stuff46 seunviju kceemart kingsley18 nceedaga therealbabe Costlybabe prettydiva89 Rounakid IdyRaph kingphilip Otupeluv heemah will007 aprilwise demmy66 KOLITE93 missfaviy 1sikiru1 MhizTemmie Missmossy lalasticlala lovingangel Mimikathy JulietAKK faithomoh24 cheskabiney Sirfrederick labaski Harmonyemerald ayodijex Fembleez1 MissMalia mismore Omotayelolu.
Omotayelolu Sanmix2007 kenoz shoyemiayodeji
boladegreat shegs2009 ixora3 Kruzilano Tholuwani michaelmo11 Noela12 hadease sherryshitt lhateaphart21 MsKaffy Feyikemi12 Maryofficial Tuljaking underage nceedaga abbiey Queening missuniverse EllaGold35 Orlolahdey Klare fam24 loshybab clemz88 qhutetomsel jaymomma nimat158 tizblink sheyflixy1 Israel23 lilbethlars merasnipes
deslim Lobolintin bumsiee teelord1 ngona Chivee latbas rotluv famora d4real890 soniachuks
Niwdog amyvals SweetyZinta niffy102 Ormorlehwah Frankzamani OlufemiWhit ChyEndowed jeremie97 bamgbalaot leosmaria Chimdim silverx teeman10 awesomebabe sbyna omobola200 ArrowAssassin Preeteeshir GATED IamYhudii adeh39 chinedumo adeodunsimilolu akugbemike Aipete2 Hicea1 Ashiat39 rollex4ever ritzeluv slimport Uthman2senior mercydaniel loveyP tizblink Felinize folake25 princessadeola girly2020 umahi69 BlizzydoDo Dahprech Dahprech SPDAZZY Shoelace1 mimicious gunners160 Rajosh Fumzybabe Brozo1 will007 Coolfaze Omoalhaja7 Ronke001 Slingkey FIDELITY24
chiboyo rhoseti1 totalhouse adefunke62 temilade20
jecigold happinessa517 pweetyoge donziller gabrisunate emtebe blossomic fabulousbrainzz Holuwadharah Executiveti loshybab GiftedAgwu juliejames sodson11 Angelina996 Mj45 Airies Yungdamsel folalek Godwinfriz kemmyp michaelmo11 Damzy997 MrKIDO raffyreuz Damiewonder uniqueflash oluwasolajames PEZMAN Upnepaa GodWisdom Ashraf123 Itzemmyzone Kakabliss Pukka36 meekmiki6

Lalasticlala, I promised you a story with snake. Here, it is.

1 Like

Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 12:13pm On Aug 18, 2019
Transit

(story by ucmacanthony)

11th January, I had set my phone alarm clock at 4:00am. I had visited our neighbor's house to get my phone charged for the task and journey ahead the next morning. I had as well pleaded with my sister to share her Wi-Fi password with me to book a Bus ticket. After much persuasion from me and unnecessary grumbling from her, she finally obliged.

GIGM (God is Good Motors) had seemed like the best recommendation from friends and family. But I needed to peruse and compare prices of other transport companies. Flexibility and inquisitiveness is no sin the last time I checked. It's always cool to try out other options. I logged into ABC transport company website, checked their recent fare to Abuja and Lagos and what I got was eye popping. A whooping #10,000 to Abuja and Lagos from Portharcourt City where I reside. I wasn't at ease at that point. How on earth could they charge such exorbitant amount on a local ride? Am I travelling outside this country? I'm not yet ready to leave you guys behind. It's me oh! Na we we oh!

Nigerians have a penchant for incredulously inflating the prices of goods and services during festive periods and now is not an exception. But, why now that I'm about traveling away from the eastern part of Nigeria to an unknown place? A virgin land. If places were humans, I'd be considered a virgin to Abuja. Though, people still attribute a novice and new comers as virgins since they are yet to know or gain their first experience in a field of study.

I navigated through the website, checked other cities and states, compared the outcome with other transport companies I've got handy but they seem the same.

A few days earlier, I had gone to waterlines in portharcourt to enquire about the current price to Lagos. I saw this Toyota Sienna car idling along the pedestrian lane. The doors were opened and some luggage were seen in the car too. A young man and a lady were seated respectively on each seat waiting for other passengers to board the vehicle. A dark complexioned young guy was leaning against the bonnet of the car readily waiting to cut a ticket for any person willing to board the car. In other places I had seen and with some level of experience I had ganered, the young man was supposed to be shouting and parading himself about in search of passengers and even helping passersby and prospective passengers with their luggage and hauling it into the car trunk on or against their wish. But, this time it was not so. He might be seen as one who cared less about getting his car filled with passengers. But he really cared. His case was that he was calm. He was patient with himself. And that moment was not the time passengers were in their utmost intensity. The time would come. Maybe, before 4-5pm because that bus was scheduled to leave by 6pm.

I walked down to him, greeted and excused for his attention. He gave me one and I engaged him.

"Hey, bro. Is this car for Lagos or where"? I enquired.

"It's for Abuja. It's leaving this night too. Are you traveling to abuja"?

"Yes, and No". Yes, I'll be leaving for Abuja. And No, I'm not traveling today". I said.

"Ha, ok. When do you intend travelling, bro"? He asked.

"Mmhm, I actually came to make the necessary enquiries, in case". I said.

"OK, bro. The price is #8,000. And we're always here. I could cut you a ticket ahead of time, if you don't mind".

"Ha, bros, e never reach like that. I do mind in this case. And what's the name of your transport company"?

"See am here na, Isidore transportation". He said pointing at the body of the vehicle as the inscription ran from the anterior to the posterior part of the car.

Why have I not heard of this company for the first time in my life but now? Have I been existing in this country at all? What am I missing here?

"Hmm. Where are your company's other fleets"?

"Fleets. What's that"? He asked.

"sorry, I mean other cars or buses".

"Bros, you never enter this one finish and you d look for other buses. You go chop am"? He harangued and was about walking away.

"Don't mind me, bro. I will come when I'm ready".

"no wahala na. Hope it's this week"? He asked anxiously.

"maybe, Friday or so, bro. I will come".

"Alright". He said and walked towards a passenger who just alighted a commercial coaster bus. He enquired about the passenger's destination and it was true he came to board their bus heading to Abuja.

I strolled down the area and sighted a long luxurious bus parked into a compound. It had a different company name written boldly on it. A company I've been familiar with since my existence on this earth. CHISCO TRANSPORT COMPANY. Now, I'm existing. I walked up to the guy again, this time trying to figure out why the bus was parked there and if that was their new park. I did my due diligence and realized that they board nocturnal travellers in that park. I thanked him and left afterwards.

1 Like

Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 12:26pm On Aug 18, 2019
OK, the time came for me to check out the glorified and well acclaimed GIGM. The website wasn't a heavy one. It was user friendly as well. I shuffled between the available pages of the site and found out they not only had just the regular 16-seater bus, they also had a variety of different fleets which included a sprinter bus which was very luxurious and sleek. When one tries as much as possible to get his or her hands on a Mercedes Benz product, half of his automobile problems is solved. This I am sure. The sprinter Bus available on the website was a 14-seater Mercedes Benz which complemented the beauty of the transport business. I was unfamiliar with The arrangement of the seats in that particular Mercedes Benz. It was rare. I'd been used to clustered seat arrangement.

I checked the price on their site for Abuja and was disappointed with what I saw there. I had just #10,000 on me and why did this company decide charging #10,000 for Abuja? What are all these happening to me now? OK, let's say I agreed to pay the money, with which money was I going to transport myself to the company? OK, if at all I miraculously found myself in the company, paid the Tfare and Board the Bus, with which money was I going to use to transport myself from their Abuja terminal to my destination? Or even take care of myself on TRANSIT?

It was already past 10pm. I sat under the cold weather in front of my neighbor's house. The moon was illuminating already. I was overwhelmed with thought. I knew I wasn't good at asking someone for help. But I needed to travel the next day as early as possible. I scrolled down to the booking section on the page. I saw the list of available buses yet to be booked online. The first two buses were almost booked having the first completely booked left with just about 4 seats in the second Bus. I chose the second Bus and was about completing my booking on the No 12 seat before I got a message from GIGM company that my booking was not successful. I knew I entered the necessary details required of me and the Card details were not missing too. I tried retracing my steps where it had gone wrong. I couldn't come up with a verifiable output. Now, I had to check the content of the message again. Then it struck me, like a Bang!. Insufficient funds. How on earth did I forget that I withdrew some money from the ATM today? That was the #10,000 I was not proud of. I even had it in my back pocket. I winced with disappointment having known what I was in for.

OK, check it out. If I had successfully booked the seat and paid online, I'd have gotten a discount. A mouthwatering discount. I'd have saved myself the time and embarrassment of thinking about seeking for help. Out of #10,000 normal charge, I could be discounted a thousand plus. And a thousand plus would go a long way in assisting my travel plans. I put a call through to my friend who lives in Owerri. Nnamdi has been my friend and family. My go-to guy. We've bonded too well that trivial matters like money can't separate us. Most friends in this present century had gone Solo all because of money. From my own perspective, the money that can come between our friendship is not yet in circulation. I quickly dialed his number and he picked in the first ring.

1 Like

Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by TONYE001(m): 12:27pm On Aug 18, 2019
aboyaji:
Transit

(story by ucmacanthony)

11th January, I had set my phone alarm clock at 4:00am. I had visited our neighbor's house to get my phone charged for the task and journey ahead the next morning. I had as well pleaded with my sister to share her Wi-Fi password with me to book a Bus ticket. After much persuasion from me and unnecessary grumbling from her, she finally obliged.

GIGM (God is Good Motors) had seemed like the best recommendation from friends and family. But I needed to peruse and compare prices of other transport companies. Flexibility and inquisitiveness is no sin the last time I checked. It's always cool to try out other options. I logged into ABC transport company website, checked their recent fare to Abuja and Lagos and what I got was eye popping. A whooping #10,000 to Abuja and Lagos from Portharcourt City where I reside. I wasn't at ease at that point. How on earth could they charge such exorbitant amount on a local ride? Am I travelling outside this country? I'm not yet ready to leave you guys behind. It's me oh! Na we we oh!

Nigerians have a penchant for incredulously inflating the prices of goods and services during festive periods and now is not an exception. But, why now that I'm about traveling away from the eastern part of Nigeria to an unknown place? A virgin land. If places were humans, I'd be considered a virgin to Abuja. Though, people still attribute a novice and new comers as virgins since they are yet to know or gain their first experience in a field of study.

I navigated through the website, checked other cities and states, compared the outcome with other transport companies I've got handy but they seem the same.

A few days earlier, I had gone to waterlines in portharcourt to enquire about the current price to Lagos. I saw this Toyota Sienna car idling along the pedestrian lane. The doors were opened and some luggage were seen in the car too. A young man and a lady were seated respectively on each seat waiting for other passengers to board the vehicle. A dark complexioned young guy was leaning against the bonnet of the car readily waiting to cut a ticket for any person willing to board the car. In other places I had seen and with some level of experience I had ganered, the young man was supposed to be shouting and parading himself about in search of passengers and even helping passersby and prospective passengers with their luggage and hauling it into the car trunk on or against their wish. But, this time it was not so. He might be seen as one who cared less about getting his car filled with passengers. But he really cared. His case was that he was calm. He was patient with himself. And that moment was not the time passengers were in their utmost intensity. The time would come. Maybe, before 4-5pm because that bus was scheduled to leave by 6pm.

I walked down to him, greeted and excused for his attention. He gave me one and I engaged him.

"Hey, bro. Is this car for Lagos or where"? I enquired.

"It's for Abuja. It's leaving this night too. Are you traveling to abuja"?

"Yes, and No". Yes, I'll be leaving for Abuja. And No, I'm not traveling today". I said.

"Ha, ok. When do you intend travelling, bro"? He asked.

"Mmhm, I actually came to make the necessary enquiries, in case". I said.

"OK, bro. The price is #8,000. And we're always here. I could cut you a ticket ahead of time, if you don't mind".

"Ha, bros, e never reach like that. I do mind in this case. And what's the name of your transport company"?

"See am here na, Isidore transportation". He said pointing at the body of the vehicle as the inscription ran from the anterior to the posterior part of the car.

Why have I not heard of this company for the first time in my life but now? Have I been existing in this country at all? What am I missing here?

"Hmm. Where are your company's other fleets"?

"Fleets. What's that"? He asked.

"sorry, I mean other cars or buses".

"Bros, you never enter this one finish and you d look for other buses. You go chop am"? He harangued and was about walking away.

"Don't mind me, bro. I will come when I'm ready".

"no wahala na. Hope it's this week"? He asked anxiously.

"maybe, Friday or so, bro. I will come".

"Alright". He said and walked towards a passenger who just alighted a commercial coaster bus. He enquired about the passenger's destination and it was true he came to board their bus heading to Abuja.

I strolled down the area and sighted a long luxurious bus parked into a compound. It had a different company name written boldly on it. A company I've been familiar with since my existence on this earth. CHISCO TRANSPORT COMPANY. Now, I'm existing. I walked up to the guy again, this time trying to figure out why the bus was parked there and if that was their new park. I did my due diligence and realized that they board nocturnal travellers in that park. I thanked him and left afterwards.

I'm following. Nice start.

I frequent the PH-Abuja route so I'm really looking forward to having a nice read.

Thank you.
Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 12:31pm On Aug 18, 2019
"Hello, nigga". I said

"Guy how far"? He said.

"How your side"?

"Nna, we dey"

"How about yours"

"We cool, bro". I said.

"Guy, wait first. The pleasantries can come later. I have a request to make". I retorted.

"I hope all is well, bro"? He said.

"Yes, yes. It's just that I wanted to book a ride online to Abuja but I forgot I had initially withdrawn the money earlier in the morning. And I have none in my account but cash. Could you do me a favor by transferring the said amount into my account and I give my sister the cash this evening to pay into your account tomorrow morning"? I requested

"Hey, why this late, then? I just moved some money I had this afternoon. Someone needed help so I lent her some". He said

"Wow ! What a dis-coincidence (that's my personal way of saying disappointed coincidence).

"Nna eh, guy. If I had known you'd be in this tight corner". He said

"No, guy. You did what you had to do, I understand, bro. But do you have someone who could be of help, like either send me the money or book it in my stead and I do the needful"? I asked

"Eeh, guy. I won't lie to you o. Most of my friends are broke guys". He jokingly said

"Haha. Guy, come again" I said

"Haha, Nna, guys no get money o. Everyone is lamenting on this present government". He said

"Guy, everywhere is Red. It's evident". I corroborated.

"I'm telling you. Business is no longer moving as usual. These Chinese people we have here as bosses are hellbent on sacking anyone anytime. The economy is getting poorer ". He said

"Damn. Guy, you've got to work hard to secure your stand in that company o. You know there's nothing happening in this country". I advised

"I am o. And I'm praying to God as well ". He said

"it's well, bro. But, you need to change your circle of friends. How can everyone be broke". I smirked.

"Haha. Nna eh. That kind thing. He said.

"Alright, guy. Let me carry my cross. Let me look for alternatives ". I said.

"OK, guy. Safe journey in advance ". He bade me"

I checked the time and it was rounding towards 11:25pm. I reopened the GIGM App I was using to book my seat. I had tried booking without paying online. It's called seat reservation. I processed it and was about rounding up when I discovered that I would not still qualify for the discount without an up front payment. The charges still maintained its position at #10,000. I got more annoyed from the results I was getting that night. They were discouraging. I rested my back on the white plastic chair I was sitting on and was lost in thought.
Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 12:37pm On Aug 18, 2019
TONYE001:

I'm following. Nice start.

I frequent the PH-Abuja route so I'm really looking forward to having a nice read.

Thank you.
Thank you for your support, sir.

1 Like

Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 12:39pm On Aug 18, 2019
INTERMISSION

Different strokes for different folks; different people with their diverse ideologies. Attitude makes a Man, not his money. A Man's kingdom is his might, he must guard it right.

I have this preconceived notion of frowning at total dependency on Man. I equally despise borrowing money and anything in its entirety since it doesn't belong to me and has to do with being in debt. I have a set of basic principles that guide me. Most times, people do say I'm too stiffened and stringent. That I'm too principled. That I'm unpredictable. Yes, I could be all that but it's a matter of protection and security. If we do not have set rules in our ecosystem, we're savages.

I. Mental slavery and Dependency go hand in hand. No matter how little you're doing for yourself, do not think living off another's pocket is better. Keep doing what you do best. It'll pay off someday. Else, you'll live to serve another Man for the rest of your remaining years.

II. Comfort Zones do not only give the comfort they are meant for; they also contribute to mental slavery, mental blindness, mental retardation or can make one a sluggard if not properly propagated. Do not put yourself in it. Not all comfort zones are really comfortable to the mind.

I had once been in a discussion session with a friend who was a master to a young 23 year old. He shared the dream he had the previous night how his apprentice turned down his request of getting things done in a particular order. He was very annoyed with his disposition that made him scold him in anger. I listened intently, with undivided attention and no plans of judging either of them. But I think he got the whole thing wrong when he started bloating about how well he treated his apprentice, how he GAVE HIM LIFE.

That was it. He just lost all the credits, the respect and accolades of being a Boss. Who told you it's in your might to give life? I could remember from a scene in a Hollywood movie titled THE KINSMAN - Secret Service. The Boss was teaching his surbordinate the ethics of being a Boss. He specifically said and I quote "True nobility is not being superior over your fellow Man, but it's being superior over your past life". Those lines really inculcated a level of knowledge and wisdom into my medula and heart. Most times, the little things we do are the most important part of living which we don't need reciprocation from the benefactor, rather, HELP AND FORGET. It's left to the recipient to realize and show gratitude for what's been done for him by another.

"Come again". I said.

"What"? He said.

"You said you gave him life, can you explain, please ". I inquired.

"Yes, of course. Without me, where would he be? What would have become of him"? He harangued.

I raised my eye brows in astonishment. He didn't mean that, right? I thought to myself.

"Did you just say you gave him life"? Are you trying to take the place of your maker"?

Then, he was furious this time. He stood up from his initial position where he was fixing his motorcycle. I could see the rage in his eyes. I could as well perceive his heart beat if I had a stethoscope. Then, he charged towards me.

"Did I say I was his God, eh? How could you be saying that"? He Bellowed

"But where was your thought when you said you gave him life"? I asked.

"That's what I don't like in you. Always reading meaning into what one says. If you don't want me to talk to you again about things, just let me know. In fact, I'm no longer having this discussion". He said in exasperation.

I kept mute throughout. I uttered no word. I needed not create a scene by replying him which might escalate the issue. I acquiesced in the moment.

That's what comes from depending on Man. Some may see themselves as a God. Some, a king. While to some, it's a normal thing to do and they feel incomplete without you being comfortable.

I have this belief that in the process of showing kindness, it should flow unwavering. Kindness should come with the spontaneity of the air we breathe. In the breathing process, air involuntarily enters into the nostril and to the lungs. It's now a part of human. We do not know when we take it in. But the only time humans and animals found it challenging was when they were gasping for air, that'd be the time you know something was wrong. It was either a person was being burked, choked or smothered. In a way or the other, life's been threatened. Kindness is the air we share with the less fortunate. It is the right of the fortunate to help the less-fortunate.

My intermission seem to have taken more than I proposed.

1 Like

Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 12:50pm On Aug 18, 2019
More comments and views needed. Indicate if you want me to continue, please.
Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 1:40pm On Aug 18, 2019
Bossy215

Olufemiwhit

Rubenson

Skyblueking

Eyeon

Chiboyo

Ann2012

You're all welcome. "The rain" is in abeyance for now.

2 Likes

Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by kingphilip(m): 2:51pm On Aug 18, 2019
It's going well

You've got a follower in me
Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by chiboyo(m): 2:58pm On Aug 18, 2019
aboyaji:
Bossy215

Olufemiwhit

Rubenson

Skyblueking

Eyeon

Chiboyo

Ann2012

Hope i didn't come too late to the party?

Nice storyline so far, please continue....
Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by Ann2012(f): 3:23pm On Aug 18, 2019
aboyaji:
Bossy215

Olufemiwhit

Rubenson

Skyblueking

Eyeon

Chiboyo

Ann2012

Thanking you
Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by cassbeat(m): 3:23pm On Aug 18, 2019
Kwantinu
Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by skyblueking(m): 5:28pm On Aug 18, 2019
aboyaji:
Bossy215

Olufemiwhit

Rubenson

Skyblueking

Eyeon

Chiboyo

Ann2012

Thanks for the mention...
Book my seat beside Ann2012...
Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by OlufemiWhit(m): 7:17pm On Aug 18, 2019
aboyaji:
Bossy215

Olufemiwhit

Rubenson

Skyblueking

Eyeon

Chiboyo

Ann2012

wonderful story man..........

1 Like

Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by Rajosh(m): 7:41pm On Aug 18, 2019
present sir
Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 8:26pm On Aug 18, 2019
CONTINUITY

What makes a man is what he does when the storm comes.

My neighbor under whose tutelage I had acquired an engineering skill (pneumatic engineering which deals with the automatic generation of air in compressors of heavy equipment) had just stepped out of our neighbor's apartment where he equally went to get his device charged and relieve himself of some stress with a home video alongside the family. He had just worn his footwears on the porch and walked towards me. He looked drowsy and brandished a 7" itel tablet device he just charged its battery to brim. I was there sitting calmly on the white chair browsing through the company's website, looking for more options either to call the customer's care center for the intended reservation before I heard my neighbor soothingly called my name, trying to get my attention. I managed to spine towards his direction. On seeing his image, I lifted my back from the chair where it was resting, sat up to be more alerted and conscious. He strolled to my anterior from behind. He stood for a couple of seconds before telling me he was about going to bed.

"Bro Uc (like he fondly called me), I'm off to bed". He said.

"Ha, OK".

He was about stepping out before I remembered I needed to tell him about my travel. Though, I had earlier informed him about it but wasn't specific. He had asked to know my arrangement and date of which I had successfully kept him in the dark for far too long. Not that I had no reservations of telling him, rather, I have this cynicism when it comes to personal issues. I have a penchant for keeping things to myself until its maturation became imminent. I like results. You can keep the process to yourself.

"Yes, that reminds me, Kingsley. I'll be traveling tomorrow, in case". I said.

"Haa! Is it so"? He coldly said.

"Nna eh ". I whined.

"So, had I not met you outside, you wouldn't have let me know"? He said.

I readjusted myself on the chair, this time, sitting out at the tip of the chair. I turned back the backlight of my device, drew the lock pattern to unlock it. The backlight shone greatly as the device unlocked, revealing the white background of the GIGM website. I raised it mid-air showing him my device.

"No, guy. I'm not even certain about tomorrow though. I'm trying to book the tickets online. That's what has kept me outside here since. As you can see, I left you guys inside to have a quiet time for this. I can't leave without informing you na". I concluded warmly.

He was quiet for a while. He dawdly retraced his steps towards me, stood and turned off the backlight of his device. I stood up, separated the two chairs I had sat on as I realized going home wasn't in his bucket list anymore. I watched his countenance as it changed from a peaceful one to a wryly and worried one. He pulled the chair towards himself and dropped his entire weight onto it. Rest in peace, you chair!.

For the next 10 mins, we had sat without any form of talking. I was hellbent browsing through the company's website. My eyes were stationed to my device. My head was found partly bent to the forward position, while my two hands were grabbing unto the device firmly. I had no reservations for entertaining any form of disruption or disturbance. But here's a good friend who meant well for me. Protocols must be disobeyed.

"So, to what extent have you gotten"? My friend asked warmly.
"If I could be able to book this online tonight, I'd be sure of leaving tomorrow ". I said

"OK" . He said.

There was some moments of silence yet again. I was thinking for any possible way to pull this off. I needed to maximize some profits. I need to benefit from these transport companies at least for the first time in a long time. And if I didn't succeed in this, I'd be paying with my last stipend and that could jeopardize my travel plans.

I watched on as my friend was lost in thought or could it be he was feeling drowsy again. But I thought sleep was far fetched from him when he heard about my leaving. Of course, I couldn't read his mind. I'm neither a soothsayer nor a sorcerer. Becoming a psychologist could have paid off if I had pursued that career. But life happens. Most times in life, not everything we wanted came to us. We compromised and moved on or make do with our forgone alternatives. So goodbye to Psychology and Human Behavior.

"Bro Uc, please, can I have a word with you in my place".

He politely asked.

"Alright" I answered.
Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 8:56pm On Aug 18, 2019
We schlepped to his house which was a few seconds distance.

My friend Kingsley lived in a one bedroom apartment which had an extra 8x10 space to store equipment or any stuff that needed not be seen around his compound. He had once stored some gallons and buckets of paint and a 75ltrs plastic rubber which he mixed paint with. He had cutlasses, headpans, shovels and other bulky items in that space. But, I appreciated his kind gesture when he emptied the space and converted it to a living space for his apprentice. Putting a shelter over your fellow man is worthwhile. "It is the right of the fortunate to help the less-fortunate".

We entered the house through the sitting room which was very dark. We managed to walk through and finally got to the bedroom. The smaller room was adjoining to the sitting room which made it possible for the occupant of the room to have the ability of eavesdropping to the conversations going on in the sitting room. In the darkness, I noticed him ransacking for the torchlight on his bed. The smart phone he had charged was now misbehaving. It turned off and on intermittently. I stood at the door post waiting patiently to catch a glimpse of light from any part of the room. A few minutes later, the epic search for the torchlight stopped. I could hear a click sound coming from the left hand side of the room and finally, a flash.

I was offered a sit on the plastic chair sitted against the wall just opposite the bed behind a reading table. I pulled the chair to my side and sat patiently on it. I watched as he pushed away the clothes on the bed to the side before sitting in it.

In retrospect, sometime a couple of weeks ago, he had rushed into our apartment, panting and screaming my name. I was already in the bathroom taking my bath. A bang on the door caught me off guard and I turned the shower off. I inquired from the voice behind the door what could have brought about the whole chaos and unrest.

"Snake, Bro Uc, snake". The voice warmly said
"Where "? I asked. Now tieing a towel around my waist.

"A snake is in my house" He said.

"Wait for me, I'm coming out now". I said, with part of my body unbathed with litters of soap suds around my body. I quickly washed my face with the cold water from the shower for a clearer vision. I advanced into the kitchen for some petrol, while he was found brandishing a long stick.

"Lalasticlala has got to hear this. Nairaland front-page has got a News to talk about tonight." I said inwardly.
Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by Ann2012(f): 9:19pm On Aug 18, 2019
skyblueking:

Thanks for the mention...
Book my seat beside Ann2012...

Oya na, let's enjoy with chilled henessy cool
Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 9:20pm On Aug 18, 2019
The first and last time I had had a confrontation with killing a snake was when a female neighbour came calling my name one fateful Saturday afternoon. I had woken up from a deep slumber when I heard my name from the window. She was panting heavily and wore a worried face.

"Snake o! Snake o!!". She screamed.

I moved with immediate alacrity while weilding a matchet. A little crowd had brewed in her compound which was entirely ladies. I could understand their defence for not trying very hard to take away the little life the reptile had. We all know they had a bromance in the garden of Eden and the conversation that ensued between them had remained a mystery till this day. That first lady couldn't even make a full disclosure of the convo with the love of her life then.

"The heart of a woman is like a deep Ocean indeed".

I approached the compound while flashing my Abs thinking it was all about gyming. I advanced unto the porch and was quickly pulled back by the woman which was accompanied by a chorused scream from the rest of the ladies.

"Hey! No!

I had almost embraced the reptile unknowingly had I taken one more step. The reptile had already curled on the handle of the front door leading to the sitting room. Its mandible had protruded and warming up for an available bait and I had almost fallen a victim of circumstance. I ran back immediately and advanced no further.

"Bros, kill it, kill it ". The ladies screamed.

In my mind, "this is the end of the road. Mission aborted already. What an end time killing". I quickly dropped the matchet I had gone with. Ran towards the back of the house, opened the side window and started throwing stones at the reptile. An elderly woman brought half a litre of kerosene for me to spray in the parlour to startle the creepy animal. Though, I was expected to walk into the sitting room and carryout the process, but I resolved at standing behind the window instead. Who does that?!

The woman took another container which contained some kerosene and applied it on the door from behind.

"Hey! Hey!!, it's entering the guest toilet now o". the ladies echoed in unison.

I walked down to the front of the house, grabbed the matchet once again and went after the snake. I opened the guest toilet but saw nothing save from the big metal drum, headpan and trowel the labourers had left the previous day.

"But I can't see anything here o". I said to the ladies. But in my mind, I wanted the snake to peacefully crawl away into the bushes. No victory, no vanquish. No snake, no embarrassment. But the snake was not buying into my own expectations. It had time on its side for hide and seek.

"Brother o, come quickly o". A lady had earlier ran out some minutes ago while I was at the back of the house to get one of the security personnels. She was already in an unstable state running towards us while a guy brandishing a very long wood trailed behind her.

"Brother, it's in the toilet o, hey". She said as they reached.

I was confused when the security guard advanced into the toilet, shot the door behind himself and was adjusting the metal drum and headpans. "Is this guy a hunter, or a snake charmer". I thought.

Few seconds later, the door opened and all eyes were up with high intentions. A stick scooping a black snake came out first before the security guy came forth.

"Yeah!!! They all cheered at the sight of the snake. I moved away for the latest heavyweight Champion of snakes to enjoy his praises.

The snake was unresponsive and was thrown into the closest ditch. I strolled back to my apartment in shame. What a dignifying moment! And possibly, the last straw.
Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 9:51pm On Aug 18, 2019
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So, this is the second encounter. Time to confront my fear. Time to allay my fear. Time to kill a snake. No quid pro quo.

We made out for Kingsley's residence as quickly as possible before the creepy creature could find its way around a hidden corner of the house and remain inconspicuous, waiting for the right time to strike.

"Let me hold the stick while you apply the petrol in the room. The snake is on my bed". He said as soon as we got to his house.

"No, o. Local man didn't come to die for no one here o. I only brought this petrol for you to apply and kill the creature yourself. And you know there's no electricity in this house of yours". I said nervously.

"Chai, and I thought I came with someone. Why did you follow me in a rush"? He said.

"Guy, do you know I'd not killed a Snake before"?. I said. I was waiting for him to muster an extraterrestrial agility and cuss me out so that I would be MIA. I had trembled a bit and had lost the stugot to confront the reptile.

"Guy, is this happening, now. Hope it's not what I'm thinking"? He questioned my cooperation.

"OK, I'll apply the petrol. But, you'll make sure the torchlight is shown directly on the position of the slimy reptile". I cautiously warned him.

"Yes na. I'll do that perfectly". He said.

We pushed open the entrance door subtly, gently and carefully sweeping our eyes through the restroom for possible strange movement of thread-like object. The bedroom curtain was hoisted up immediately against the door. The room was met with flashes of light from two different sources - one from a smartphone and the other from a torchlight. It was a very big disappointment when the beam casted on the floor and it came to our notice that the tile used for flooring had a very dark coloration. He regretted his choice of tiling instantly.

The beam swept through the mattress and to the edges of the bed, then, very closely to the wooden wardrobe, there it was - A slippery, slimy, creepy, crawling black creature cooling off and hibernating for the moment.

"Look at it, Bro Uc ". He said as his heart skipped.

"Where"? I asked, now bringing my attention to the point the beam had casted.

"Here " he said, pointing the torchlight steadily on the creature.

I summoned my disinfecting prowess and engaged in the art of petrol spraying. I unleashed almost all that was contained in the petrol can on the creature. It crawled down the bed, travelled behind the wooden wardrobe and then, through the curtain. He raised the curtain with the stick and there, was the creature, as weak and numb as an ejaculated joystick which could not be rubbed back to erection. The stick landed straight on its body as a result of missed target. It was initially aimed on its head. It reacted against the action and tried crawling away. But the pungent smell of the petrol had been absorbed greatly by its scales. It riggled for a moment, headed back towards its previous direction but was met with a heavy thud on its head. It became silent for a while, then lifeless. Its tail end never stopped to tingle.

Two minutes later, it was scooped outside. More petrol was applied on it and set ablaze. The odour it gave off wasn't friendly to stand and observe. I felt very sorry for disappointing the entire Nairaland Association of Snakes (NAS) whose Patron happened to be Lalasticlala, and the treasurer, Pocahantas.

"I think I'm going to spend the night in your place, Bro Uc ". He said.

"Yes, na. Why not. Would you have this reptile's relatives avenge their brothers death in your house"? I asked.

"Haha, guy you're funny o". He said.

"So, you better stay away from your house for now until they're tired of looking for you". I said comically.

"You're not serious at all". He said. Then, we strolled into my apartment.
Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 10:16pm On Aug 18, 2019
So, That was the same room I was ushered into by my neighbor friend, Kingsley. I sat patiently and he went into his wardrobe, searching for an unknown item. I was wary of any crawling animal irrespective of its miniature size. I raised and dusted the curtain beside me looking out for signs of threadlike animal. He brought his lanky body back on the bed, fist-tight and adjusted the torchlight on the table which was shining on the ceiling.

"Welcome to my house once again, Bro Uc". He greeted.

"Thanks, I replied and adjusted on the chair.

"I had wanted to tell you a lot of things. I had wondered how you might receive these words yet to come out of my mouth. Notwithstanding, I'll spill the beans". He said.

"Go on". I said.

"We have known each other for a long time now, at least, for a year and some months. I've known you too well and have tried bonding with you. I've tried for us to be more than neighbors. We eat and drink together, we've shared our good and bad times together. You've been under my tutelage for a period of less than six months now and I think I've known you enough. But whenever I sit in my chambers and think about you, my mind still tells me that there are more to know about you. Maybe it's because you don't talk much and you're being guarded and defensive. You don't disclose your pains to anyone. You just let it weigh you down. I am not a new person to you. You only confide in me whenever you feel compelled. And in the process, you filter your words and reserve a big chunk of the information you share.

I had told you about my siblings, they're way older than I am. I am the last child in my family. The eldest is about 20 years older than I am. So, there are things we do not discuss. I see them as old people. Their mental reasoning is obsolete. I'm young and require a young friend like you. I know how intelligent you are. So far, you're a nice person. You give out good Aura and energy. Then, it baffles me that you don't let people into your life easily. Even now that you needed to travel to Abuja and are facing hard times financially, you've not walked up to me for assistance. That's the part I'm yet to understand about you. You don't ask for anything from me. In this life, no man is an island. It is people that help people. No one assumed a greater position on his own. People helped him to that height.

Maybe, in the nearest future, you'll be more successful than I am. Though, I have built a 2 bedroom bungalow, yours might be massive and invariably, I'll be the one in need of your assistance. And with these words of mine, I wouldn't want you to respond negatively and in this next action of mine, I wouldn't want you to reject it". He said.

He stretched forth his right hand and opened the already tighted fist towards me. I was taken aback by the sight of the wad of money buried in his palm.

"Do not turn it down. I know you already". He said.

I was dumbfounded. I least expected any form of money by that time of the night and from anybody though. I looked at his face, then, back at the money. I was grateful a Savior had come to my rescue, but I was still insecure of the motive behind the salvation.

"Can I say something now"?. I asked.

"Yes". He said.

"OK. First and foremost, I'd like to appreciate you for this sign of kindness. And as Jay Z would suggest, "The purest form of giving is from anonymous to anonymous". True kindness is giving when no one asked for it, which you just did. I didn't expect getting money from you tonight or anytime. I really appreciate you so much. But on the aspect of asking you for things or telling you about my financial situations is something I'm not used to. It's like putting my fellow man in an uncomfortable way". I said.

I wouldn't want in a situation where a friend saw me as a burden or some obnoxious person who had to be avoided due to his chronic and serial debtor instinct. I can ask for financial help but from a trusted person - a selfless person; One who doesn't talk much; And someone who wouldn't bloat about it in the long run. Even the Bible says "in the presence of much words, transgression abounds. Whoever restrains his lips is prudent". I thought.

"No. Bro Uc. That's what I was trying to spell out to you. You didn't take me the way I had taken you. You are no burden to me. We're more like brothers now, and I'd do anything humanly possible to assist you in times of need. If I can't do something like this for you, who would I do it for"?. He said.

"No, Bro. I didn't say I have less trust in you, just that I've not made up my mind to start seeking for financial assistance from you. You know money usually comes between friendships these days. It's better we are cool with each other than have money split us. You're my brother already. I can't ask for more". I concluded.

"Alright. But just manage this little token from me. It's not much but it will go a long way in your TRANSIT. At least, you wouldn't be bothered about the discount GIGM is offering when you use the app. Just go straight to the terminal tomorrow and pay cash". He suggested.

I acquiesced. Lost in thought for a while which culminated to collecting the money. I Opened the wad and counted the number of notes I was gifted. 6 Five hundred Naira notes which amounted to three thousand Naira. I was calm within. My inner mind had received an aeration of happiness.

"Thank you so much Kinso. I won't forget this Day". I said.

"Mention it". He said amid a little laughter.

We laughed together and drank to journey mercies and success in our endeavours.

"I have to head inside now. I need to wake up very early in the morning against my travel". I said.

"Yes, yes. You need to ". He complied. He escorted me out of his apartment and to the porch. He bade me farewell against the next day's plan, then I strolled down into my apartment and wound up in my bed.
Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by Ann2012(f): 10:24pm On Aug 18, 2019
Thanks for the update
Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by rubenson(m): 11:15pm On Aug 18, 2019
u ar gud to go Thanks alot
Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 11:40pm On Aug 18, 2019
Ann2012:
Thanks for the update
I appreciate your audience

1 Like

Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 11:41pm On Aug 18, 2019
rubenson:
u ar gud to go
Thanks alot
Thank you for hanging around

1 Like

Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 12:15am On Aug 19, 2019
12th January 4:00 am, I was awaken by the alarm tone on my phone. It had rung just once before I bolted up from the bed. I had a quick shower and dressed into a blue Jean trousers and white short-sleeved trad shirt with touches of blue designs on both sides of the arms. My bags were already packed so there wasn't much to bother about other than getting a bike ride to the nearest bus-stop. I was almost done dressing up when my younger sister Ada jumped out of the bed too. It seemed she saw me in her dreams leaving already.

"Uche, are you done already "? She asked albeit feeling sleepy.

"Yeah, Ada. I'm done".

"Ok, let me put on my footwears. I'll see you off". She suggested.

"OK " I said

Knock! knock!! I was knocking on my brother's room to let him know I was ready to leave. He turned from side to side, winked for the next one minute and opened his eyes.

"Hey, Uche. Are you ready already "? He asked surprisingly.

"Yeah. I'm done".

"OK, you heard what I told you the other day, right"? He enquired.

"Yes, I got you". I said.

"OK, safe travels ". He bade me.

I walked through the sitting room and to the porch, waiting for Ada to come out. She appeared quicker than I expected as though I was traveling with her. We journeyed the street to a neighbor's house who had a motorcycle. We made our intentions known to him but he suggested a different biker who could deliver. The new biker came and off I left on his bike. I bade Ada goodbye as we finally disappeared into the darkness of the dawn.

We approached the bus-stop where I was able to board a cab to the GIGM terminal.

7:00am, the weather was Clement already and there, was our glorified terminal. I had used that route whenever I visited Rumuola or waterlines but never took cognizance of the terminal. But today was the day for me to get their services. I alighted and paid the cab driver afterwards. I managed crossing the double lanes and finally found myself at the Main entrance to the terminal where a crowd had already brewed in front of the gate. I was approached by a young guy in his early 30s. I finally understood that I was about being hustled by him. Thank God I didn't fall for his initial propositions. I schlepped my bag into the terminal with hopes of boarding the first bus to Abuja. The number of passengers in the terminal had made me excercise the part of my brain responsible for mathematical calculation for a moment.

I walked into one of the block of offices where bookings were made. The queue wasn't much. I happened to be the 7th person. I exercised a little patience before I was called upon. It was my time for booking a ticket.

"Hello, sir". A voice called me from behind. I turned and was met with a dark complexioned lady. Her eyes were filled with nervousness. She was unstable in her countenance. I was able to notice the registration of worry within her. I left my position for the next person on line and moved towards her.

"I'm sorry sir. Please, don't feel bad on what I'm about requesting from you".

Initially, I thought she was one of those corporate beggars. They can come in different guise. Their level of incognito to execute a particular begging scheme is beyond normal imagination. They sometimes tag along their kids or their neighbors' relative to patronize pity.

"OK " I said. I turned for the first time to keep check on my luggage and then, back to her.

"Come, Joshua". She called upon a kid of about 8 years old who was playing around one of the fleets of buses in the terminal. She tucked the boy by the collar of his shirt as the boy was half way closer to us.

For the second time, I had a conviction she was a corporate beggar. But she was properly dressed and more importantly, responsible to demean herself to such level of embarrassment. I was patient enough with her to explain herself before coming to any form of conclusion.

"Please, this is my son, Joshua. He's supposed to be in school tomorrow. And I was supposed to take him to Abuja myself today but I have a new baby whom I'm tending to. She's still tender and can't travel far. My husband is away for work. He's not coming back till month end and I have no help with me. All I need from you is to take my son Joshua alongside yourself to Abuja. I'll foot his bills and I'd appreciate what ever decision you make".

My instinct was very bad. My perception about this lady was bad as well. I had misconstrued her approach all along. Patience is a virtue, they say. She was no corporate beggar at all. Her speech was clear cut. She was a responsible housewife from a nice family.

"Can I have your son's school ID card"? I requested.

"Yes, it's with him ". She commanded Joshua to get his ID. The ID was handed to me and I scanned through it and discovered they were genuine. I gave the ID back and took a closer look at the boy.

Joshua was a lovely chap. He had a calm spirit. Doesn't talk much but very playful. He kept smiling throughout my conversation with his mother that I started thinking he was suffering from Alalia.

"How are you, Joshua"? I asked while rubbing his head.

"Fine". He managed to say inaudibly. But the movement of his mouth gave him away.

"Alright, madam. I'll take care of him".

I think my love for kids do becloud me from some necessary things. I couldn't pay attention and take into consideration little, delicate details and factor the dangers of transacting with a total stranger which may transcend to scam coupled with this scenario of helping this woman with her kid of which could have translated to child-trafficking in the long run.

1 Like

Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 12:21am On Aug 19, 2019
I have a penchant for little kids. The number of kids I wished for is numerous. I feel extraordinary in their midst than I feel with adults. The thought of my little niece and nephews alone gives me collywobbles. Do we need to elucidate on the admirable pulchritude exuded by a random strange kid on the street, in the market place or in the church. Where ever I went, the thought of the encounters I had with the kids in my street somewhere in the East were always with me. They could come in blush and bevy to welcome me on arrival either from a trip, work or just a walk within a close proximity. They never failed to jump on my body from opposite sides. I'd be left with no option but manage to afford satisfying their pursuit of happiness by piggybacking a couple on my neck and back and one on my stomach like a kangaroo to its joey. My luggage might be with the oldest among them who literally carried it into my apartment and their exhilarating display of joy would end with a treat to a superstore.

Cabin biscuits had saved cost a whole lot of times. A pack or two had been enough which was always complemented by some candies and or soft drinks if there was extra cash for such expenditures. The oldest of the kids had always taken up the role of gathering the items from the shop and an elderly woman saw to the successful distribution of the snacks among the kids evenly.

Some of the kids would hang around for a while in the apartment either humming to the marginal satisfaction they were deriving in the treat as they consume it while others went home to show their parents and guardians their bits from welcoming an Uncle. The stubborn ones went around a corner of the apartment chewing away theirs not minding the beating they'd receive from their parents for not coming back home earlier enough and not submitting their fair share of the proceed.

"I'll take care of your boy, Ma'am. Don't worry much". I said to her again.

"Thank you so much, sir. My God will bless you". She said and started raining prayers on me.

"Don't worry, because I assure you that everything is copacetic. It's all about being the change we wish to see in the world". Like Mahatma Gandhi said.

"Ok, Joshua, you'll be traveling with this Uncle to Abuja, ok? Get your luggage intact and follow him.

And Please, sir. Here's his transport fare. And I'm giving him an extra #2500 for miscellaneous should you guys run into any unforeseen circumstances". She said and pocketed the money into Joshua's breast pocket.
Joshua was still not buying into the art of talking. He kept a smiley face throughout.

"Alright ma'am., I better go ahead and make the bookings right away so that we can catch up with the next bus since the early buses had left". I said.

"OK, sir. I'll be leaving now. Here's my contact. And I'll be giving you my cousin's contact in Abuja too. He'll be receiving you two. Should you arrive late, you could pass the night in his place too". She suggested.

"Alright then ". I said. I penned down my contact on a paper and handed it over to her.

"Goodbye Joshua, I need to run back to your little sister, ok? Take care of yourself, joshua". She said.

"Bye mummy". Joshua managed to squeeze those words out". He was still holding on to the handle of his travelling bag all this while, patiently waiting for a go.

"Let's go, Joshua". I turned for the second time since the little distraction. We managed to get back in the line while strolling the luggage to the corner of the block where mine was idling. I successfully booked the tickets having made sure our seat numbers were closely related. I chose the numbers 12 and 13 seats respectively. Our tickets were processed and handed to us and I paid accordingly.

"Let's go get a seat in that reception, Joshua. You need to sit down a bit before we leave". Joshua followed me to the shed built for passengers for relaxation and we sat.

"Do you feel like taking anything, Joshua". I asked in a concerned tone. He shook his head in disapproval without uttering a word.

What could be this boy's problem? Why does he find it very difficult making a speech? Alright, ok. Some kids might be introverted from their early stage of life and shy as well. He's just a kid though. He still has a lot of time to figure out how he would better fit into the society. Moreover, I have a lot going in my mind and I need not complicate my mental state of mind. I thought.
Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 12:32am On Aug 19, 2019
"Bus CEE57 is ready. Shall all the passengers with the said ticket number forge ahead into the Bus"! The loudspeaker with a male voice announced.

I rechecked the serial number on our tickets and realized we were among the passengers expected to board the already prepared Bus.

"I think it's time to leave, Joshua. Let's go get our luggage into the bus. I said.

We schlepped our bags and head to the bus which was just parked behind the reception. The door and boot were already open and some male staff of the terminal were putting some luggage into the bus through the boot. Some bags were arranged under the passenger seats while making sure the isle was kept away from any form of item. The front passenger door was now open and a brown leather bag was tossed into it by a fellow passenger. He was about 6.4ft height with heavily built broad shoulders. He paid less attention to other passengers as he paraded his heavy body about. I think I heard a fragment of American English accent from his speech as he walked past me. My neck spun involuntarily, as though my ears just heard a strange language from someone who tried as much as possible to get attention from people unnecessarily. He traveled behind the Bus and into the reception. I inserted my finger into my left ear to get off this corrupt file it had just been exposed to.

"Where do I put this luggage, Bro"? I asked the staff behind the Bus.

"What seat number do you have"? He inquired.

"Seat 12 and 13". I said.

"OK, it's at the extreme. I'll be putting them under your seats. How cool"? He said.

"Cool, cool. It's more secured". I said.

He grabbed the luggage and loaded them one after another. We were informed that a woman and her kids had booked seat number 14 and 15 and they'd be sitting very close to us. I didn't think I had any option here. Afterall, I wasn't the owner of the Bus and I only paid for just 2 seats and not the entire Row of seats.

"Come on, Joshua. Kindly hop into the Bus and take a seat. I think we'd be leaving anytime soon. I told him.

Joshua quickly secured the number 13 seat. The Bus was scanty and more luggage were being hurled into it.

"FUCCKKKING SHITT. You don't know who you're messing with. Do you know me? Do you know who I be? You're a mudafuka!!! "

My ears tingled. I think I'd heard something similar this morning as it came from a particular source. I hope it's not what I'm thinking. I thought to myself.

The staff of the terminal was seen with a bigger brown leather stroller bag on his head. That bag could contain all the kitchen items and some properties from 2 rooms if properly packed and arranged. I had pity on him as soon as my eyes met him.

Was that how much a hustle he was going to put up till he made it"? I thought.

He carried the bag to the back of the Bus and managed to put it down before stretching his back.

"Damn Fucccck! So you guys wanna charge me this high because of this? Just this single bag? I ain't gon pay nothing!". The heavy guy was distraught and kept shouting at the top of his voice as he approached the bus.

"Oh! This guy again ". I said.

"My guy. My guy". He said and approached me now standing in the middle of two guys who also happened to be fellow passengers.

"How on this mudafuking world could they demand I pay this outrageous fee for my fucking bag"? He said.

"Thank God you knew it was a fucking bag. That bag as big as a restroom was really fucking". I said inwardly.

We stood, indifferent to his complaint. How do we get involved in his predicament? We couldn't intercede for him. He needed to come to terms with the development in the company. If he was expecting our audience, he was supposed to prepare himself for the honest answer that might hurt him. And he needed to realise he was a Nigerian and do away with the accent too.

"So, how much is the fee"? I asked.

"These Niggas are charging #10,000 for this luggage excluding the #10,000 I had paid for my Tfare. Could you believe that?". He angrily said.

"No, wolup, wolup. That's not fair. They should do something about it. #10000 is too much for that luggage na". I said.

"10k is way high for such, Bro". The second guy standing next to me contributed.

"Did the receptionist tell you that"? The third guy asked.

"Yeah, for reals bruv. That's what she said herself". The heavy guy said.

"Let's sought the attention of the management here. I think a lot is being swept under the management's nose. He'll be in the right position to review those charges for you". I said.

He was directed to the management office by one of the staff. The hefty guy walked gigantically into the office, gave the receptionist a smirky look and opened the corner office door. We stood by the receptionist's office while I kept my eyes on the Bus looking out for Joshua.
Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by skyblueking(m): 6:38pm On Aug 19, 2019
Ann2012:

Oya na, let's enjoy with chilled henessy cool

Haaa!
Momma i don't take hennessy oo....
I think warm satchet water would do pls...

Got some fried ant heads too..
Delicious!!

1 Like

Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by Ann2012(f): 8:45am On Aug 20, 2019
skyblueking:

Haaa!
Momma i don't take hennessy oo....
I think warm satchet water would do pls...

Got some fried ant heads too..
Delicious!!

Eat your ant heads alone ooooo

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oko Ashewo:musings Of A Brothel Crawler (18+) / Nairaland Writers, How Are You Mentally? / What's Your Remedy For The Cold\raining Season

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 255
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.