Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,754 members, 7,831,417 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:26 PM

Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony (3445 Views)

When Hell Overflows. Story By Ufuoma Seunnla / A Lonely Heart (A Story) / "No Pleasure For Dead Girls" A Story By Mancrimes.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by Ann2012(f): 8:59am On Aug 20, 2019
Why are they charging that much for a mudafucker fucking bag na grin

Well done OP
Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 12:04pm On Aug 20, 2019
kingphilip:
It's going well

You've got a follower in me
welcome
Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 12:38pm On Aug 20, 2019
The sound rebounding on the wall and door of the corner office was quite inaudible that I found it hard to clearly understand. I walked away from the office to make sure I put to good use my babysitting ability. The two other guys followed suit but stopped halfway to pick up their girlfriends under the shed.

An older woman and two kids had secured the seat number 14 and 15 before I came to the Bus. I greeted her before taking the seat by the window. The seat was very comfy and relaxing. It felt luxurious and spacious enough to keep feets stretched. Joshua was sitting very closely to the kids in the middle while the woman also took the seat near the window, bent over and engaged in a prayer session. I admired the level of faith and trust she had for her God.

I hoped for Joshua to get interactive with the kids eventually and as well, loosen up in the process since the kids were already chatting away. Joshua kept mute all along, maybe, observing and looking for a better time to react with respect to the topic at hand. To be honest, it was far fetched. That time never came.

I had just concluded my one minute prayer before I realized the older woman was still in the mood of prayers. Her commitment level was unique and spiritual. Then, I literally knew our journey was safe. Her prayers could secure us in this TRANSIT. I checked the status of our luggage under the seat for the second time to make sure everything was in order.

The other two guys I had stood with had just stepped into the bus with their girlfriends, respectively securing their seats according to their numbers. The heavy guy was not yet in sight. More passengers had occupied the available seats left for the passenger seat just adjacent the driver which had the smaller brown backpack on it.

Patience had been ran out of which had every other passenger murmur for time wastage. The front door was seen defiantly pulled open and the heavy guy dropped himself onto the seat angrily with a lot of sweat trickling down his face without uttering a word. He plugged his smartphone to the usb cord attached to the radio device on the dashboard of the bus. He waited patiently before an outburst.

"And where the hell is this fucking driver. How much harm are they gonna cost me today"? He bellowed.

My ears stood at attention just like a rabbit's. I subtly retracted my head which had been looking away from the window, counting and recounting my past encounters. The rest of the passengers had pleaded with the heavy guy to exercise a little patience for the driver which he found offensive rather. He wasn't buying into their plea. He had been riled up already, I presume it had a lot to do with the unsatisfactory outcome of the charges on his big brown bag with the management which he spelled out to the rest of the passengers who were willing to listen that he was asked to pay #7000.

"And where the hell have you been?". The heavy guy shouted at the man who just took a position of the driver.

"Are you talking to me "? The driver asked calmly.

"Yeah, I'm talking to you. Is this how you mistreat people in this country?. You think we're animals that you choose to transport when you find convenient?". The heavy guy fussed.

"Please, sir, you don't talk to random people the way you like. What happened to your manners"? The driver retorted.

1 Like

Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 12:38pm On Aug 20, 2019
"You're a mudafuka, nigga. You're a damn modafuka". The heavy guy berated him.

I didn't think the driver had any reservations for more bickering with this heavy guy. He acquiesce in the moment, readjusted on his seat and plugged the bus key to the ignition. He unplugged the smartphone on the USB cord and plugged his phone to charge.

"You don't touch my phone anyhow, man". The heavy guy said and unplugged the driver's phone to get his plugged.

"You don't touch my properties. This bus is my property and everything that's contained in it too. You ask for permission before doing anything that's outside what you paid for on that ticket of yours. The last thing I'd require from you is distraction if only you'd like to journey with me in this same bus". The driver instructed.

"Then, you're not ready to go, that's what it is". The heavy guy countered.

"Everyone, please, kindly tell this guy to behave himself. I'd not like to entertain distraction from him again. Kindly warn him to refrain from this attitude of his. I don't like what he's doing". The driver said and turned to us the remaining of the passengers.

I knew that heavy guy was up to a lot of things that morning. He was in for destruction. If traveling to the diaspora made him irascible, he was better off here. Nigeria is a place for self-rehabilitation. No psychologist or counselor is required for mental health issues. The atmosphere and its ecosystem itself is enough to do justice to anyone. For me, all the guy needed was a leash tied down to the seatbelt.

"Imma Fucccccck you up, man. You're in my radar now. Imma deal with you, should you try anything funny with me, Bro. I'll show you how the street of Orleans survive. The streets of Chrenshaw will be pleased to mourn you, nigga". He threatened the driver.

"You're a nobody, Bros. You wey d wash plate for Yankee or d bath old people just come here d form wetin I no know. The last thing you can do is be physical with me. Oyibo wannabee!". The driver cussed back.

"Bro, abeg e don do na. Leave the driver to take us to Abuja in peace". One of the passengers said.

"And you the driver, let him charge his phone for once na. It's not that a lot to take". Another male passenger adviced.

"In my bus? With all this mushy attitude? Never! " the driver harangued.

"Take your fucking charger. This cheap charger I can easily get anywhere, anyday. Do you know the one I use? ". The heavy guy bloated.

In my mind, I was like 'and you couldn't get your phone charged with your almighty charger. And you couldn't get your shits in order beforehand. And you subject yourself to this total show of mess?'. Well, the heavy guy could have transferred his aggression on me if I had said that loud.

The bus was already riled up having everyone shouting at the top of their voices, either contributing a solution or venting their spleens save for the old woman who was quietly praying beside me. Her kids were already watching as the whole scenes were playing out. They clung unto the seats to get more coverage.

15 mins later, the driver returned to the bus after leaving for the office. He had gone to file a statement about an abusive passenger. He appeared calm and tucked his white shirt well into his trousers. He walked majestically while wearing a smiley face. He was devoid of worry and fussiness. He opened the door and closed it behind him. Bent over the steering wheel and kept quiet for a while without a speech. A few seconds later, he raised his head, called the attention of the whole passengers and apologized for all that had transpired and for the inconveniences he contributed into. He tapped the heavy guy by the shoulder and apologized personally to him.

"Hey, Guy". The driver said and tapped his shoulder.

"Yeah, sup doug". He said.

"I'm sorry". The driver said.

The heavy guy was dumbfounded. His gaze was on the driver's eyeballs. I think he was ashamed of himself. An uncontrollable and mysterious sigh fell off his nose that
everyone in the bus cringed at.

"Let's put all these behind us and embark on this journey peacefully". The driver said again.

"Alright, Oga". The heavy guy said.

'What just happened? Did he just say Oga? Where did the whole accent disappear to? This could be the 5th wonder of the world'. I said.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 12:53pm On Aug 20, 2019
8:25am, the driver turned on the ignition and the engine reved for the first time. Everyone was settled and the passenger doors were closed, then we zoomed off the terminal.

8:41am, I had received the first phone call of the day from my friend Nnamdi. The phone was about ringing for the third time before I picked it up. I had previously been lost by thoughts and the wind blowing through the window. I slid the answer button on the screen to the right which connected me to the caller.

"Hello, Guy". I said.

Hey, Bro. How far? Have you left for Abuja already? He said.

"Yeah. We just left the terminal not quite long ago. Like 20mins ago. Hope all is well. I said.

"All is not well o. He said.

I was alerted by his answers. Nnamdi my friend was not known for complaints or Bad news. He was very optimistic and had smoldered worries enough even before it turned into a big deal. He was always in control of situations around him. But this time, this particular expression was strange.

"what happened, guy". I asked.

"Guy, you won't like this".

"Guy, all is good. Just spill it already".

"Guy, our nurse is Dead". He said.

We had grown up together for the past 17 years and had shared a lot of things together too. We had similar circle of friends before departing to different states. We got treatment from the same pharmacist in our street in the East and had shared the same love from her. It was no longer strange that the love I had for her transcended to her kids. She had 4 lovely girls. Her drive to help people was second to none. She was a superwoman. Every young lady had wanted to become a pharmacist, thanks to her. She was a role model to both old and young.

"WHAT"? I asked.

"Yes o. Your nurse. Our nurse". He said.

"What? How did it happen?" I asked, still transfixed.

"I don't know o, Bro. That's the News that just got to me from home". He Said and the line went off.

For a moment, I froze. I tried processing the news in my brain which I found very tasking and overwhelming. Tragedy set in. Then, I was consumed by anger and rage. I became distraught for as long as I couldn't remember. My heart started pulsating heavily. I closed my eyes for a moment trying to get out of the ordinary and come to terms with the reality of her demise. My eyes had accumulated a lot of water in the dark veil. I opened my eyes which was later accompanied by tears. The tears streamed down my cheeks to a corner of my lips while the other ran down my neck. More phlegm had found its way out of my nose and I sniffed them in. I quickly wiped my teary eyes with my palm and bowed down my head against the headrest opposite me. It was always said that a real man doesn't shed tears. But what the propounder of such adage didn't understand was that the realest of Men was the one who shed tears when emotionally moved. I tried as much as possible to stifle the rest of the tears within but was already aware of the impending implosion I'd have experienced. I let them all out. It was worth the emotion.

I was sorry for myself for losing such a great figure as an acquaintance. I was sorry for myself because I was at the verge of reciprocating the love I received from her. Then, I felt very sorry for her kids too. Little kids without a mother. What does the world have in stock for them? At least, I had grown in the midst of friends who had no mother figure. It was not as easy as one who had one. Their lives spun around from the already prepared format to a new one which they had no choice but make do with.

I had almost recovered from an excruciating emotional trauma before another call entered my phone. "MUM", the caller ID indicated. I slid the answer button to the right immediately and it connected to the caller at the other end.

She had called to inform me of the demise of my beloved Nurse. I was able to gather more information regarding the death. I briefed her on my journey to Abuja and that I'd call her back as soon as I arrived.

1 Like

Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by rubenson(m): 11:40pm On Aug 20, 2019
I'm really enjoying the story It seems I'm in a transit traveling

1 Like

Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by skyblueking(m): 10:17am On Aug 21, 2019
Jeezz...
37 posts already and i've not even started reading...
Nawa oo, aboyaji you wicked gan...
Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 1:35pm On Aug 21, 2019
rubenson:
I'm really enjoying the story
It seems I'm in a transit traveling
kindly campaign for the story to make front-page.

More is underway.

2 Likes

Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by Ann2012(f): 1:59pm On Aug 21, 2019
Interesting
Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 2:23pm On Aug 21, 2019
Ann2012:
Interesting
Thank you. I appreciate

1 Like

Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 2:25pm On Aug 21, 2019
The journey to Abuja was very smooth and the passengers were calm and enjoying the cool sound coming from the vehicle's audio system. Joshua had passed out alongside the old woman's kids at some point. He woke up immediately we were stuck in traffic when a newspaper vendor came to sell his business to the rest of the passengers. I had wafted his approach to the other passengers to make way for an okpa seller. I bought two and shared it with Joshua.

"Hey, my son, where did you get the okpa"? The old woman asked.

"The seller just left now. It was a quick one so he had to cross back to the other lane to avoid accident". I said.

Ok, please, be on the look out for another seller. I'd be needing some of it". She said.

"Ok, Ma'am". I said.

She returned to her Bible studies while I paid more attention to the entire details surrounding my okpa and trying as hard as possible to dig up all the little particles of the food in its wrap.

For a while, I checked on the next available okpa seller on sight but couldn't foresee any of them coming anytime. The driver had managed to find his way out of the traffic and I slid the glass window shut to contain the air within the bus and have better environment for the imminent sleep that was forming in my eyes. Undoubtedly, Joshua wasn't going back to sleep and I wasn't going to fight against my drowsiness. E don be, be say, e don be. Body no be firewood. I relaxed my back against the comfortable seat and said goodbye to the rest of the world.

I opened my eyes to the abrupt jerk of the bus. My face had been covered with sweat which rolled down to my shirt. The bus slowed down and pulled over into a magnificent terminal which happened to be another GIGM terminal in Anambra State. The engine was turned off by the driver and the passenger door was pulled open. The whole passengers came down for a lay-over which was supposed to last for 20 mins. The heavy guy came down quickly and disappeared into the thin air. I heard the driver telling a fellow passenger that he was going to get something done. The driver reved the bus for the second time and drove out of the terminal. The rest of the passengers dispersed to their respective place of choosing. Joshua had declined my propositions of getting him a meal from the fast food in the terminal. I wasn't feeling hungry myself. My body system was just averagely at par with my mental state. I felt relaxed, a feeling I hadn't had in months - probably on Cruise mode. I took Joshua into the main building of the terminal. The hall had a lot of departments; the restaurant, the reception, the booking section, the customer service where a young black guy was seated comfortably and a multipurpose departmental shop where every other items ranging from Electronics to books were sold.

I had spent just less than ten seconds sauntering through the door, assuming a seating position and taking cognizance of all those arrangement of the hall. Joshua sat next to me, trying to come to terms with the accommodation of the hall. I stood up from the Stainless Steel seat and took a walk through the terminal, leaving Joshua who was too engrossed with the African Magic show on display. I walked up to a book vendor I saw outside under a Shed. The list of novels he had had very interesting titles. I enquired about other novels I had seen somewhere. I admired his amazing Intellect. He had all the titles off hand. He knew his books. He knew books in general. He knew the plots of all the books I requested from him that weren't readily available. I corroborated his insight into each of them.

I walked back into the hall to check on Joshua. There, was the heavy guy at the extreme left part of the hall in the restaurant, voraciously guzzling down rice and chicken not minding the particles of the food falling off his mouth and into the plate. He paid less attention to his oily cheeks while he tore apart the remaining chicken parts. I smiled within and channelled my interest to Joshua. I appreciated the fact that Joshua was a very peaceful Boy. He could stay on that spot until I come back to get him even if it took me forever. I smiled from afar and strolled down to him. I sat with him for a while before going outside to check on my fellow passengers.

1 Like

Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 3:01pm On Aug 21, 2019
skyblueking:
Jeezz...
Welcome to the wicked world grin

1 Like

Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by skyblueking(m): 5:36pm On Aug 21, 2019
Mehn, dis ya mudafuking story is next to none...E sweet pass sex...lol.

Seems as if i'm traveling..

The beef between the driver and the big guy was hilarious, got me rolling..
Guy you too much jhor..

3 Likes

Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by Ann2012(f): 5:59pm On Aug 21, 2019
This our Abuja trip dey interesting sha

Pls I wanna eat some mudafuka chicken too sad

3 Likes

Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by wisedave4god: 3:11am On Aug 23, 2019
This is a proxy account. Actually, my brother's.

Sorry guys that I've not been able to update for some time now. The phone I type with fell and got broken. So the calibrator is unresponsive. Until then... CIAO!

Still aboyaji.
Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 10:04pm On Aug 23, 2019
The two passengers I had stood with earlier before journeying to Abuja in the portharcourt terminal were right behind the entrance door and their girlfriends had gone to use the convenience in the terminal. I joined the guys in their discussion session which was a recap of the experience we had earlier in the day. It transcended to Global Warming, politics and all. We aired our views without being biased and too political since we'd got nothing much to gain from being political. The heavy guy showed up with a piece of meat pie in his left hand. He had managed to wipe off his oily lips and cheeks with the tissue in his right hand and still chewing on the remains of the chicken from his meal.

"But what stopped him from exercising a little patience in the restaurant to get himself in order before stepping out?" I thought to myself.

"See bro, see Bro, no be like that. This present government is fucccccked up". The heavy guy said. He threw away the tissue paper in his hand and shoved the meat pie in his mouth.

My head exploded. It was as though the Nollywood had played their notorious unfiltered soundtrack in my ears. "No be this guy wey just finish a plate of fried rice and a big sized chicken part"? Well, let him feed the way he sees right. Not my money and stomach.

"Mehn, this country is heading to the slums. Imagine the level at which people leave the shores of this shithole country". The other guy added.

"In Houston Texas, USA where I reside"... The heavy guy said with a mouthful of food which muffled his conversation, discomforting talking clearly. The remaining meat pie fell from his hand and to the tarred floor which gathered a little chunk of sand. He picked it from the floor and dusted it. He blew air on the other end of the pie to clear the sand on that part of the food and shoved a larger portion into his mouth.

"Yes, like I was saying... In Texas, all these rubbish don't happen there. You sue any Modafuka!!! Sue sue sue!. He said.

"Yes, but here's not the US. Welcome to Nigeria". The other guy added.

"Hello, everyone". The older woman strolled in with her kids.

"Hi, Mama". We took turns greeting her.

"My son, I bought Okpa here o. Take a look. And it's delicious too". She said and offered us some of it. We took turns again kindly declining her offer. She was a lovely woman and her kids had at a point shown a level of intelligence which sparkled our interest in them. They were too smart for their age.

"And you, big guy. What do you have for me? Where is my chicken?" She jokingly said.

"Mama. do you need chicken? ". The heavy guy asked.

"Not to worry, my son. I was just teasing you". She said amidst laughter.

No, Mama. You see today, you'll eat that chicken". He said.

"No, o. I was only joking". She laughed and withdrew herself from the circle.

"Mama, please, I'd love to buy you chicken. I insist". He said.

She took a deep breath before obliging to his request.

The heavy guy walked into the hall to get whatever he could afford for the woman. We stood, laughed over the discussion at hand while looking out for the driver. The heavy guy came out with a package which contained the chicken and handed it over to the woman. She thanked him afterwards and went away with her kids.

"So, where's this driver again"? The heavy guy asked.

We had spent over 45 mins in the terminal since the driver left. A lot of buses had pulled over for a layover in the terminal. 20 Mins was the average time given to each driver before they continue their journeys. There were a lot to explore to keep passengers entertained. The immaculate opulence of the interior of the hall was complemented by a silver panel cladding which kept the exterior cemented wall away from weathering. About 70% of the building was covered by glass which ran from the top most part of the building to the ground floor which had security guards stationed at each entrance to the hall.

"And when we start complaining Now, people would think we're being unreasonable". One of the guys said.

"I heard he went to fix the A.c". One of the passengers said.

"But he has taken long. Wasn't it immediately we alighted that he left for the repair? A different passenger asked.

"It was. The driver told me personally before living". A younger guy confirmed.

"And all the vehicles that laid over alongside ours had gone". Another passenger said.

"Guys, let me take advantage of the situation at hand and visit the convenience. I'll be back". I said.

"Alright, correct Guy. We dey here". The heavy guy said.

Joshua had rested his back on the Stainless Steel chair while keeping up with the movie that had been showing on the screen when we arrived. I walked briskly to the receptionist who wore a white long-sleeved shirt with a black tie. She was sitting just behind a desktop computer which almost covered her entire facial outlook. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, they say. She was light skinned and about 4.5ft tall with dark hair. Her facial expression was welcoming which gave me more confidence to ask her the route to their convenience. She pointed towards the left side of the hall, just behind her office. I advanced into the adjoining corridor which had a green and black coloration. I walked past an office with "Admin office" as it read on the Red door which happened to be the only door in the corridor. There was another adjoining corridor rightward which had 4 ceramic sinks aligned against the wall and 4 mirrors above them each. The corridor had 4 toilet doors aligned leftward facing each mirror. I knocked and opened the second door which was fully tiled from top to the floor. The toilet seat was as neat as a new white singlet. I unlocked my black belt that had been fastened to my waist for the past 4 hours. I pulled my Jean trousers and boxer brief afterward and relaxed comfortably on the seat as though it were a throne. I clinched my fists and took three deep breathes before passing out a hard rock poop into the toilet. Then, sighed heavily as sweat trickled down my head and to my back. Droplets of sweat had formed on my forehead and I managed to locate the tissue paper hanging on the window pane. I cleaned myself up and wiped my face with some of the tissue paper. I opened the door immediately and washed my hands in the white ceramic sink before rushing back to the corridor where I met one of the male passengers who came to inform me of the presence of the driver. We scurried into the hall and I picked Joshua up and exited the hall. All passengers had taken their respective seats and left the door ajar before we arrived. I pulled it fully open and we hopped in.

"Guy, where you go na"? One of the passengers asked in exasperation.

That question needed not be answered. I took it as a rhetoric.

I shot the door and the driver zoomed off the terminal.

1 Like

Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 10:07pm On Aug 23, 2019
Ann2012:
This our Abuja trip dey interesting sha

Pls I wanna eat some mudafuka chicken too sad
skyblueking:
Mehn, dis ya mudafuking story is next to none...E sweet pass sex...lol.

Seems as if i'm traveling..

The beef between the driver and the big guy was hilarious, got me rolling..
Guy you too much jhor..
skyblueking:
Jeezz...

rubenson:
I'm really enjoying the story
It seems I'm in a transit traveling

Eyeon, Royver, lalasticlala, you're welcome

I'm partially back.
Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by skyblueking(m): 10:12pm On Aug 23, 2019
aboyaji:

Eyeon, you're welcome

I'm partially back.

Come and drop something for your gees la
Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 10:21pm On Aug 23, 2019
skyblueking:

Come and drop something for your gees la
Done, it's above.
Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by skyblueking(m): 1:12pm On Aug 24, 2019
aboyaji:
Done, it's above.

That update did little to quench my hunger oo...

Ijenicho mood activated!!
Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 7:21pm On Aug 24, 2019
shocked
skyblueking:

That update did little to quench my hunger oo...

Ijenicho mood activated!!
Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by Udoks(m): 12:10am On Aug 25, 2019
Grabs popcorn! grin

1 Like

Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by eyeon(m): 4:45pm On Aug 26, 2019
I've never been to PH. Neither Abuja.
We're yet to get to the latter, but through the write-ups that I've read, should you argue with me that I've not been to GIGM PH, you're arguing with yourself.
I'm following you all the way to Abuja.

I'm really engrossed. smiley

1 Like

Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by eyeon(m): 4:51pm On Aug 26, 2019
aboyaji:
Bossy215

Olufemiwhit

Rubenson

Skyblueking

Eyeon

Chiboyo

Ann2012

You're all welcome. "The rain" is in abeyance for now.
The rain can fall. lol... I'm on board a GIGM comfy bus. #Present

1 Like

Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 6:52pm On Aug 28, 2019
Udoks:
Grabs popcorn! grin
Welcome, Udoks

1 Like

Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 6:55pm On Aug 28, 2019
"Everyone, kindly shot the window closest to you, I think we're back to enjoying a chilling atmosphere. Our air conditioner is fine now". The driver said immediately the tyres rolled unto the tarred road.

There was an abrupt scamper for the glass windows by the passengers who rushed to shut the window closest to them. We had experienced the most challenging weather that fateful day. The heat of the scorching sun saturated the bus and invariably left us with the hottest temperature ever observed. I gently slid mine backward and rested my head on the headrest behind me. My forehead was pointing upward which brought my attention to the parallel arrangement of air inlets on both sides of the roof. The inlets ran from the posterior to the anterior part of the roof individually indicating an operational manual.

'Turn right to let out air . Turn left to close inlet'.

I turned the nob rightward but didn't feel the chilling sensation of cool air. I turned it off and relaxed my back on the chair. A couple of passengers had tried out the same process too but were disappointed just the way I was. They didn't hesitate to bring it to the notice of the driver that the air conditioner wasn't yet working.

"Please, I'm sorry. I haven't turned it on. I thought I did". He said as he discovered the air-conditioning switch was pointing on the red indicator. There was an agitation in the engine of the bus as soon as he tuned it to the green indicator. I turned the air inlet on again and was met with a cool and freezing air. It penetrated my head and hit my skull directly which made me heave a heavy sigh.

Most of the passengers that had a nap woke up with faces trickling with sweat and I had the most fierce dream due to the hotness of the surrounding and I guess some of the passengers did too because, none woke up with a smiling face. At a point in the dream, I had been chased by an elderly man who was weilding a matchet. I ran as fast as I could to escape getting butchered. I couldn't recount my offence for being chased down. But my peeve was that I started getting weak at a point, my pace reduced drastically as though I was shot with an arrow. I pushed further, dragged my heavy body along but fell to the Sandy ground. I grovelled and cowered on. I felt the protrusion of my veins. They became visible enough to weigh me down. Then, I saw a beam ahead casting in my direction, I raised my head towards the direction of the beam which later diverged. The divergence spread out more to allay the darkness of the night. I squinted and covered my face with my palm. I could notice the man with matchet approaching hastily with fire in his eyes. I turned back to the light in my posterior still shading my eyes from the direct beam. I managed to put my head down to the ground, covered it with both hands and peeked through the gaps between my fingers.

Then, I saw a shadow. It walked up from the light and stood in its immaculate apparel. A gust of wind had accompanied the emergence of the image all along which wafted the apparel back and forth. I squinted more to get a glimpse of the image. Then, I saw the shape of a female. I raised my head slowly as my eyes kept adjusting to the accommodation of the beam. I raised it higher and higher. Her toes and fingers were as clean as a kid's. Then, I saw her face.

"Mama". I screamed.

It was the old woman in the bus. She had a halo over her head. She was all smiles. And her wrinkled face was gone. She was younger. And beautiful.

The beam waned down to a little proportion. Then, her beautiful face was fully revealed. The beam casted from behind her, glowing and flickering as it deemed and increased intermittently. I raised my head with my body higher, trying to attain a standing position and come to terms with her appearance and presence. My left foot kicked against a fixed stone buried in the sand and I staggered to the left but managed to keep a balance with my right foot.

I looked behind and saw the man approaching fiercely. The rage from the fire burning in his eyes had consumed his entire head. His head was flames. Then, he stopped halfway, looked down and flexed his neck muscles and back. He took two deep breathes and slowly raised his head up. The flames increased which covered his eyeballs and every other sense organ in the head. I didn't think he needed them anymore. He was more a monster.
Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 7:13pm On Aug 28, 2019
I became more frightened, then turned towards the old woman who had just become younger. She was still smiling throughout. But there was a glimpse of affirmative reassurance I perceived from her which put my heart in place and allayed my fears. She nodded twice towards me and looked downwards to her hand. I retraced her eye movement and saw a glowing sword she held tightly in her fist. I could bet anything in this world that the sword wasn't there all through my encounter with her. It had appeared when she needed it. It was about time she did away with my fear - The monster - She had come to rescue me.

I bent over to massage my left foot which kicked against the stone. The man advanced faster, this time, accompanied by a gust of circular wind like a tornado lifting up a lot of garbage to the atmosphere which trailed behind him in the advancement. I took a standing position, placed my hand over my chest and closed my eyes while facing the old woman. My heartbeat rate which had pulsated heavily kept counting down, reducing by the second and I experienced an overwhelming and complete aeration of calmness within me. Then, I waited patiently for the worse.

The hotness of the flames the man wield was absorbed by my back. He had approached enough to carryout the harm. I closed my eyes tightly and lost in the dark veil. Then, a slicing sound was heard. The type that could only come from a very sharp blade. It could neatly cut into an object without obstruction.

A body fell behind me. I was unsure of what happened at the time. The hotness I had felt in my back waned away. A cool wind had taken over the process and the eerie tornado was no longer felt in the atmosphere. I opened my eyes to see the aftermath of the event. The old woman was no longer standing in front of me. I slowly turned back. As slow as I could, taking my time to process what had happened. What must have happened to her. What my fate with the man would be.

I gasped for air in astonishment as I saw the head of the man sitting right behind my feet. The old woman was standing close to me and weilding a sword with blood dripping at its tip. I raised my eyes to the woman's face, she was still smiling all along without saying anything to me but nodding for a mission well accomplished. I watched on as the man's body burned out into black and dirty brown ashes and was taken away by a cool breeze into the atmosphere. The old woman approached me while still hanging midair. She patted my shoulder with her left hand and asked me to go home to my family.

"It's over, my son. You can go home now". She said.

"Thank you Mama". I bowed down.

No sooner had I bowed down in salutation to the gratification of the help rendered by the old woman than I felt her departure. The cool wind wasn't blowing anymore. The beam was no longer in sight. There was calmness in the surrounding and the darkness of the night came back.

"Whoever wants to ease himself can now do it". We'll be spending the next 5 mins here". A voice said. I turned around but didn't see an image.

"Uncle, Uncle". Joshua was tapping me on my thigh and trying to let me know that we had laid over in Niger State. I opened my eyes to the wetness of my cloth.

WHAT A DREAM!!!

I quickly turned towards my right hand side, gazing at the old woman who was sitting with one of her kids on her thigh. She was about putting away the Holy Bible in her brown hand bag. I kept my gaze on her, wondering how I ended up seeing her in my dream and her coming to my rescue too. Was she praying for me while I was fast asleep? I imagined a lot of things in my head but until I got a positive answer directly from her will my heart rest.

"Joshua, was Mama praying earlier"? I inaudibly asked Joshua who nodded in agreement.

I almost swallowed my heart to the answers I got. One thing is expecting something and another is being in control of the outcome. I was too anxious of getting a possible positive answer earlier, but here I am, getting the frightening of my life after getting what I signed up for.

"Mama, was praying, truly". I wondered. Could her prayers have saved me in the spirit realm? I could have spent all day lost in the Wonderland.

"You're awake, my son. I knew you didn't sleep well seeing the amount of sweat that had saturated your face and the hot condition of this bus". She said.

"Of course, not Ma. I had a terrible dream". I said.

"I can see". She said.

"But what happened to the air conditioning"? I asked her.

"It stopped working at a point. The driver said it had a leaky system". She said.

"Wow. That must have contributed to the bad dream". I said and for the first time brought out my handkerchief and dried up the sweat on my face and neck.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 7:32pm On Aug 28, 2019
udoks

Bossy215

Olufemiwhit

Rubenson

Skyblueking

Eyeon

Chiboyo

Ann2012

FOOD IS READY!!! HOT HOT.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by rubenson(m): 12:40am On Aug 29, 2019
I never chop do me oo I need some more ,,,,,,,
Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by eyeon(m): 1:42pm On Aug 29, 2019
As you were wiping your face and neck, my cup of peanuts got to it's very bottom. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by aboyaji(m): 2:35pm On Aug 29, 2019
eyeon:
As you were wiping your face and neck, my cup of peanuts got to it's very bottom. grin
Haha. You came with enough mouth warmers
Re: Transit - A Story By Ucmacanthony by Ann2012(f): 2:57pm On Aug 29, 2019
Mama don help am for dream

Thanks for the update OP

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Ballad For Nigeria... / Cold Heart In Love / How Do You Get To Publish Your Work?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.