Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,464 members, 7,808,648 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:51 PM

Where Do You Start From, To Become A Full Stack Developer?here Is My Experience - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Where Do You Start From, To Become A Full Stack Developer?here Is My Experience (3541 Views)

Who Is The Most Reliable Web/app Developer Here? / Hire Qualified Devs And Get A Job As A Developer Here!!!!!! / Any Ios And Android Developer Here? You're Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Do You Start From, To Become A Full Stack Developer?here Is My Experience by SegZ24(m): 12:38pm On Aug 23, 2019
Bytestream:
well,convincing your client to patronize you is a vital part of any profession.
Off course you should have a website wich you should have hosted to show that atleast you work for clients b4. But there are some part of your portfolio that is better kept offline, an example is a Ponzi site or an online forum which in such cases it's better for you to keep these part of your portfolio to show your clients locally. Besides if you are a developer who creates sites from scratch, most of your portfolio will certainly be offline but if you are a CMS developer with maybe WordPress or Joomla you probably would have your websites portfolios online.
In conclusion, if possible create a website about yourself that contains linke to your portfolio, while keeping your more complex projects offline. It help you give your brand an online presence and convince prospective clients.

Thank you for the advice. Already working on a personal site.
Re: Where Do You Start From, To Become A Full Stack Developer?here Is My Experience by elvisgaga: 5:24pm On Aug 23, 2019
Bytestream:
Well, my name is hyde Dennison, and I currently work at andela, I am quite inspired by some posts by other nairalanders concerning tech,so I decided to share my own experience in the tech industry to encourage the younger generation or newbies on thier journey to the top in becoming a professional developer.
Being a developer is journey and the reason why most people don't make it is because they don't remain long enough on the development road to actually reap the fruit of the hard work they put in at the beginning.
When i started learning programming with python,fascinated by the ease of learning python I decided to stick to python, and I actually did stay with python for some time and started doing forensics and ethical hacking with it, in fact I developed some gui programs that was industry standard. But however after sometime I got bored with python and started learning java for Android, after getting stuck when I couldn't have my emulator run on my Android studio I switched to learning c# and started working on unity (is a game development platform but can also be used for creating apps) after sometime I got bored with c# and started learning flutter for android development but still haven learned it I couldn't accept any jobs from clients and still didn't have any portfolio of any apps I developed on my own.
I came under pressure in 2016 when I left school and stopped receiving allowances from my parents , I ran broke and couldn't find a job, I tried teaching computer appreciation in school but still couldn't hold a job for more than a term ,so to cut the story short I quit teaching and decided to make my living by programming.
I joined Fiverr, but then I will see development jobs and my mind will start beating "I always felt I was not good enough"that was because I haven't built my confidence by at least tackling smaller jobs.
*I then decided to start from webdevelopement and Start as if I new nothing about programming , first i started with WordPress, this helped me get design straight and helped me understand clients taste and the modern trends in web development.while a wordpress developer I was able to raise 65k to get a corei3 and while accepting webdevelopement jobs I started learning html and CSS underground .after sometime I added JavaScript to it(I hated JavaScript). After learning for 3months with videos and data bought from the funds I get from developing WordPress websites.i developed my first website from scratch www.sunshinekids.com.ng actually it was for a client and at the footer you will see my number there, I was so excited and I started developeing other simple websites for clients. My principle was that, I developed company websites that didn't need login or too much backend knowledge from scratch while I developed blogs and complex websites with wordpress. It was fun while it lasted but I wanted more...(the key is :get a source of getting money to at least fuel your learning related to programming)
*My next stage in development started March 2017 when I was halfway through JavaScript, I den accepted my first "real" project from a client from Fiverr, I was quite scared at first, it was a site for selling cars and it needed backend and front end knowledge of web developement, well i was able to finish the website by August and with it was able to learn JavaScript more in-depth, LEMME DROP A WORD OF ADVICE AFTEE LEARNING ANY LANGUAGE TO START PROGRAMMING NEXT LEARN JAVASCRIPT IT WILL PAY YOU, yes it did pay me as I stuck to JavaScript for the rest of the year and was able to develop my first Android app in JavaScrpt by December2017/January 2018, WITH JAVASCRPT YOU CAN DO ANYTHING, FROM WEBDEVELOPEMENT TO CREATING ANDROID OR IOS APPLICATION.,well I started getting jobs from fiverr worth 500$,200$ and was able to secure Power supply at my house at iyana -ikapaja and at least pay my rent. I was fine with JavaScrpt as my means of making money and later I inputed by knowledge of flutter and c# and developed some cool apps some include: baby napper , bubble run, bitpay and so on(all for clients on fiverr) until I heard of machine learning and data science by July 2018, well I felt confused, I even felt intimidated by developers In these fields.
But one word from one guy in unilag changed my life, he said"hyde stick to what you do and later incorporate it into your initial work flow"
I den remembered how I got to the stage I was now, from WordPress to frontend to backend to mobile development now at least I could call myself a developer, I jumped into machine learning, and started learning by videos and books it was not hard for me because I had a relatively stable source of income, at least if android or iOS doesn't come, webdevelopement will come and if webdevelopement doesn't come den my local WordPress clients must contact me and dats how I learnt machine learning convinently, to cut the story short by September, I could automate stuff on sites I developed for clients and didn't have to rely on embeding APIs , I attended a boothcamp by andela and was selected by Mr Ale, (I never new the company of a client I worked for on Fiverr was among the supporters of the Boothcamp) and dats how part time developer at andela and appart from getting jobs from andela, my WordPress clients still call me, webdesign clients still call me, webdevelopement jobs still come, android and iOS jobs still come in and atleast I can do my A.i and machine learning at my leisure....am actually working on my own personal project.
1.The fact is, although everyone his/her own calling in programming,start with something and keep building on it, mine was wordpress
2.please learn JavaScript, it will help you, trust me.it worked and is working for me and it will (notice I did not say may) work for you if you stick to it at least to professional level.
3. Don't get fazed by wat other people are doing, don't learn java because people are learning it, keep building on what you have started out with it, if it's scripting keep building on it and forget gui.
4.no harm in starting simple, (if teaching works for you fine) just get something that will supply you funds while you are developing your self ,because to learn you need money.
You can tell me what you feel about my story by commenting on this thread here on Nairaland, thanks.
I would like to chat you up if possibly via WhatsApp... I really need to seek ur advice please
Re: Where Do You Start From, To Become A Full Stack Developer?here Is My Experience by trigar12(m): 4:00pm On Aug 25, 2019
I want to start learning data analytics, where do I start from?

I don't have prior knowledge of programming before, I am new to this
Re: Where Do You Start From, To Become A Full Stack Developer?here Is My Experience by Nobody: 2:48pm On Aug 26, 2019
trigar12:
I want to start learning data analytics, where do I start from?

I don't have prior knowledge of programming before, I am new to this
you mean data science
Re: Where Do You Start From, To Become A Full Stack Developer?here Is My Experience by trigar12(m): 5:20pm On Aug 26, 2019
Bytestream:
you mean data science

Yes
Re: Where Do You Start From, To Become A Full Stack Developer?here Is My Experience by Nobody: 10:59pm On Aug 30, 2019
Re: Where Do You Start From, To Become A Full Stack Developer?here Is My Experience by opeyemi2013: 3:44pm On Aug 31, 2019
very educative
Re: Where Do You Start From, To Become A Full Stack Developer?here Is My Experience by opeyemi2013: 3:47pm On Aug 31, 2019
Very informative
Re: Where Do You Start From, To Become A Full Stack Developer?here Is My Experience by donifez(m): 5:43am On Sep 01, 2019
Very nice. I am more of a frontend guy. My JavaScript and React skill does not have the finesse I hope for yet. Where in Lagos do you reside?
Re: Where Do You Start From, To Become A Full Stack Developer?here Is My Experience by Nobody: 2:16pm On Sep 02, 2019
donifez:
Very nice. I am more of a frontend guy. My JavaScript and React skill does not have the finesse I hope for yet. Where in Lagos do you reside?
I live at ajah....?
Re: Where Do You Start From, To Become A Full Stack Developer?here Is My Experience by Nobody: 2:17pm On Sep 02, 2019
elvisgaga:

I would like to chat you up if possibly via WhatsApp... I really need to seek ur advice please
u can reach me on my phone with dis number:08022480279
Re: Where Do You Start From, To Become A Full Stack Developer?here Is My Experience by donifez(m): 4:21pm On Sep 02, 2019
Bytestream:
I live at ajah....?
It is very far from my end.
Re: Where Do You Start From, To Become A Full Stack Developer?here Is My Experience by hushdaddy: 4:44pm On Sep 25, 2019
Please Joomla and WordPress which one is better and easier to learn.? Secondly, as regard to python, what and what do you need to install python?
Re: Where Do You Start From, To Become A Full Stack Developer?here Is My Experience by vulpeslopez(m): 8:25pm On Mar 26, 2020
Bytestream:
I live at ajah....?
i live in ajah too.
Where in Ajah?
Re: Where Do You Start From, To Become A Full Stack Developer?here Is My Experience by vulpeslopez(m): 8:25pm On Mar 26, 2020
Bytestream:
I live at ajah....?
i live in ajah too.
Where in Ajay?

(1) (2) (Reply)

35 Most Popular Yoruba Names In Nigeriaand Their Translation / Lets Start An Open Source Project / Blogging : Everything Single Thing You Need To Know.Training !! Free Slots !!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.