Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,786 members, 7,810,049 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:22 PM

Samsung Galaxy A80 Review: A Great Phone With Bad Pricing - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Samsung Galaxy A80 Review: A Great Phone With Bad Pricing (4048 Views)

Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira / Samsung To Release New Galaxy A80 Variant With 256GB Storage / Samsung Is Killing It With Innovation!! Check Out The New Crazy Galaxy A80!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Samsung Galaxy A80 Review: A Great Phone With Bad Pricing by audububa(m): 6:21pm On Aug 19, 2019
This is the Samsung Galaxy A80 review after 48 hrs of usage. In this Samsung Galaxy A80 review we will talk about the most important aspects of the device.

Pop up cameras Seem to be the new cool in 2019. The Samsung Galaxy A80 does not only pop up it also flips forward.

The A80 is Samsung first ever all screen, a full screen with no notch cut out. I was able to use the device for 48hrs and here is my review.

The Samsung Galaxy A80 is part of the Samsung Galaxy A series Family. As usual it is below the S series line.

But because of the features that are enabled in the device especially The triple lens camera, A 6.7inch full screen display without any cuts or notch, Very high screen to body ratio, In display fingerprint sensor, A shining glass back. Are part of the features that make the device a top notch one.

So after using the Samsung Galaxy A80 for 48hrs here is my personal experience.

Display

The Samsung Galaxy A80 has a 1080p display. It’s a Full screen device with minimal bezel and chin.

Samsung calls it the infinity display and the Galaxy A80 is the first phone with the infinity display.

It has an in display finger print sensor. The super Amoled capacitive touchscreen makes the screen very bright. It displays bright colours.

In spite of the high price Samsung did not use the Quad HD Resolution and for the pricing of the device I feel it would have been better to use the Quad Display.

In Display Fingerprint

The Samsung Galaxy A80 has an optical in display fingerprint scanner but the scanner is not as fast as that of the Samsung Galaxy S10.

Its flawed and does not respond well when you place your finger print to unlock the device. Most times you have to try again when attempting to unlock your device.

It cant be compared to the Samsung Galaxy S10 interms of how quickly it unlocks your phone.

I feel the same thing ultra sound finger print scanner used on the Galaxy S10 should have been used in the Samsung Galaxy A80 to make it an all round solid device.

Performance

The Samsung Galaxy A80 has android 9 working well alongside the Samsung’s OneUI.

The processor inside the phone is the snapdragon 730 through out my usage there was no lags of any sorts.

And the device handled task smoothly given that I mostly spend my day reading contents and watching YouTube videos.

In fact anything that can do with the Samsung Galaxy S10 can also be done with the Samsung Galaxy A80 interms of performance.

However the phone is not waterproof, and doesn’t support wireless charging. the 3700mAh battery capacity gave me almost 8hrs on screen time. And in between the time I used the camera most because that’s the main selling point of the device.

It comes with 8gigs of RAM and 128gigs of ROM that cannot be expanded.

Build

the Samsung Galaxy A80 has a glassy back that makes it very shiny. It’s quite heavy in the hand if you compare it to the Samsung Galaxy S10.

It weighs 220g. the weight and large 6.7inch screen makes it a little bit difficult to reach for the top of the screen most of the time.

But the phone is very solid if you handle it. On the right you have the power key that can also be used to call up Bixby on the left you have the volume rocker key.

At the top there is nothing but a tiny secondary mic and this is because of the motorized pop up camera. At the bottom we have the sim card tray, the type c USB port and a down firing speaker that doesn’t bring out much sounds.

The device dont have a headphone Jack.

Camera

The best feature of the is the camera it is a motorized pop up flip camera. This simply means that the camera at the rear moves up and rotates to the front for selfies.

However moving up and rotating is quite slow not as other pop up cameras The Samsung Galaxy A80 has three cameras and lots of features are embedded in the camera.

The phone has a 48MP f/2.0 Sony IMX586 main for crisp and high detailed photos, An 8MP f/2.2 ultrawide angle camera and ToF camera for depth.

The Samsung Galaxy A80 camera works very during the day especially when lighting conditions are very perfect. The camera shoots videos using the bokeh mode and while testing it I found out it was very good.

However low lighting conditions picture are not as perfect and the lack of flash when the phone rotates forward and flip is another major issue. But generally, the camera is the selling point of the device below are some shots.

Battery Power

Here is the Samsung Galaxy A80 review on the battery. The phone has an un- removable 3700 mAh battery and it’s one of the devices on the A series line with small battery power. But it is good enough to last a whole day. Through out my usage I toggled between the camera and other social media apps I got almost 8hrs screen on time (SoT). The device also supports the 25W fast charging. It also comes with a 25W fast adapter for charging inside the box and charging from 0 to 100 will take just an hour and the half.

Pricing: the only problem

There are a lot of phones out there that can offer something similar or even better within the same price range.

The Galaxy A80 is a solid device and all round perfect but since it belongs to the A series line I feel it is slightly high. Pricing on Jumia starts from #218,000 I personally feel that the redmi K20 offers a little bit more for lesser price.

It will be difficult to convince anyone to buy the Samsung Galaxy A80 giving the competition in within its price range.

Overall the Samsung Galaxy A80 is an all run round flagship device capable of handling everything thrown at it. The only question that should come to mind will be that of durability and other little things that phone within the same pricing range offers.

In this Samsung Galaxy A80 review we tried as much to talk about the most important things about the device. Feel free to use the comments box below as I will respond to your questions regarding the Samsung Galaxy A80

For more visit https://www.gadgetstripe.com

Re: Samsung Galaxy A80 Review: A Great Phone With Bad Pricing by eki2000(m): 10:00pm On Aug 19, 2019
add camera samples
Re: Samsung Galaxy A80 Review: A Great Phone With Bad Pricing by Nobody: 10:52pm On Aug 19, 2019
I was gonna write an article with the title 'would u buy a mid range phone for 220k, a case of Samsung Galaxy A80' but u beat me to it. With that kind of money there are lots of better phones to buy. Yes Galaxy A80' is a gimmicky mid range phone that is gaddem too expensive.

1. It has a mid range processor
2. The camera is mid range, not on per with many devices that are cheaper
3. The camera cannot be used for face unlock. I mean it would have been badass if Samsung allowed the camera to be used for face unlock so whenever u wanna unlock the phone the camera does it's thing. That would have been really eye catching, just like every other phones with pop up camera do.

4. The camera doesn't even have autofocus when using the rotating camera for selfie. I mean what's the point of using the back camera for selfie when Samsung disabled the autofocus.

5. The buul quality is good, but lacks wireless charging, no expandable memory and no headphone jack.

6.The in display fingerprint sensor is wack. It's a hit and miss and with no option for face unlock it gets very frustrating sometimes trying to unlock the phone especially with sweaty hands. Samsung screwed up on this one. I know how many times face unlock has saved me using Galaxy A70 just because the in display fingerprint has a mind of its own. Sometimes it just refuses to work and face unlock does the job. It's the same wack fingerprint on the A80 and u don't get face unlock.

7. Poor battery. 3,700mah for a 6.7 inch phone ,not bad but they could have made it at lest 4,000mah especially with the A70 having 4,500mah battery. That flip camera mechanism is gonna take a lot of battery to run.

Overall the oppo Reno and Asus zenphone 6 are better sliding camera devices.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Samsung Galaxy A80 Review: A Great Phone With Bad Pricing by audububa(m): 5:11am On Aug 20, 2019
greenhulk:
I was gonna write an article with the title 'would u buy a mid range phone for 220k, a case of Samsung Galaxy A80' but u beat me to it. With that kind of money there are lots of better phones to buy. Yes Galaxy A80' is a gimmicky mid range phone that is gaddem too expensive.

1. It has a mid range processor
2. The camera is mid range, not on per with many devices that are cheaper
3. The camera cannot be used for face unlock. I mean it would have been badass if Samsung allowed the camera to be used for face unlock so whenever u wanna unlock the phone the camera does it's thing. That would have been really eye catching, just like every other phones with pop up camera do.

4. The camera doesn't even have autofocus when using the rotating camera for selfie. I mean what's the point of using the back camera for selfie when Samsung disabled the autofocus.

5. The buul quality is good, but lacks wireless charging, no expandable memory and no headphone jack.

6.The in display fingerprint sensor is wack. It's a hit and miss and with no option for face unlock it gets very frustrating sometimes trying to unlock the phone especially with sweaty hands. Samsung screwed up on this one. I know how many times face unlock has saved me using Galaxy A70 just because the in display fingerprint has a mind of its own. Sometimes it just refuses to work and face unlock does the job. It's the same wack fingerprint on the A80 and u don't get face unlock.

7. Poor battery. 3,700mah for a 6.7 inch phone ,not bad but they could have made it at lest 4,000mah especially with the A70 having 4,500mah battery. That flip camera mechanism is gonna take a lot of battery to run.

Overall the oppo Reno and Asus zenphone 6 are better sliding camera devices.
you pointed out the whole problem.. it's also not water resistant..
Re: Samsung Galaxy A80 Review: A Great Phone With Bad Pricing by audububa(m): 5:11am On Aug 20, 2019
eki2000:
add camera samples
okay
Re: Samsung Galaxy A80 Review: A Great Phone With Bad Pricing by audububa(m): 5:16am On Aug 20, 2019
Normal photo mode

Re: Samsung Galaxy A80 Review: A Great Phone With Bad Pricing by audububa(m): 5:17am On Aug 20, 2019
Wide angle camera

Re: Samsung Galaxy A80 Review: A Great Phone With Bad Pricing by audububa(m): 5:18am On Aug 20, 2019
Front same quality as the back well detailed

Re: Samsung Galaxy A80 Review: A Great Phone With Bad Pricing by Yakade(m): 7:10am On Aug 20, 2019
Apart from in display finger print sensor and slide camera, this shit ain't better than Lenovo k5 pro.

2 Likes

Re: Samsung Galaxy A80 Review: A Great Phone With Bad Pricing by swagguElite(m): 8:10am On Aug 20, 2019
Yakade:
Apart from in display finger print sensor and slide camera, this shit ain't better than Lenovo k5 pro.

OmGosh! ... Did someone just mention Lenovo K5 pro. Lool. My guy you sabi phone. The fact is; if yuar buying a phone in this 2019 and yuar not considering
Umidigi a5 pro. #35k
Vernee x1. #45k
Lenovo K5 pro. #47k
Elephone a5. #61k

... yuar just wasting your money. Instead of going for these expensive products, get any of these aforementioned phones. They are dope n cheap. See Vernee x1 6gb ram, 64gb rom, 6,200mAh, 18mp Front cam, 21mp Back cam. just for #47k. An Infinix/tecno phone with this feature will be worth #150k upwards.

Buying an expensive phone worth #***,000naira was my biggest mistake. Due to the fact that, your expensive phone will be become worthless in few weeks with new products flying in with Pop-up n Pop-Off cameras in the market now.

EXCEPT yu have bought the screen chamber turbid 5G torque Huawei Mate X or the star humming Huawei p30 pro or Image Berserker Google pixel xl3. Yuar veri much at risk esp buying an expensive Samsung that will be surpassed in few weeks by Oppo or Vivo. Those guys are restless in dishing out new drift scaling features. Talkless of Redmi. I'm not a xiaomi fan, so I can't talk much about them or even spell the name right.

Just get a cheap phone with breathtaking features during jumia/aliexpress promos. Enjoy for a while n Sell it off quickly around December. Before you know 2020 new cheap phones with orchid advanced spec will be released, that way you make a cycle of gadget experience instead of holding an expensive old experiment as a reminder of when yu'were dat rich.

Anyways, OP's phone is still dope but just expensive #218k. Jesu! And to Yakade, my Lenovo k5 pro guy that I quoted, thumbs up too you. Yuar all blessed.

3 Likes

Re: Samsung Galaxy A80 Review: A Great Phone With Bad Pricing by Yakade(m): 8:51am On Aug 20, 2019
swagguElite:

OmGosh! ... Did someone just mention Lenovo K5 pro. Lool. My guy you sabi phone. The fact is; if yuar buying a phone in this 2019 and yuar not considering
Umidigi a5 pro. #35k
Vernee x1. #45k
Lenovo K5 pro. #47k
Elephone a5. #61k

... yuar just wasting your money. Instead of going for these expensive products, get any of these aforementioned phones. They are dope n cheap. See Vernee x1 6gb ram, 64gb rom, 6,200mAh, 18mp Front cam, 21mp Back cam. just for #47k. An Infinix/tecno phone with this feature will be worth #150k upwards.

Buying an expensive phone worth #***,000naira was my biggest mistake. Due to the fact that, your expensive phone will be become worthless in few weeks with new products flying in with Pop-up n Pop-Off cameras in the market now.

EXCEPT yu have bought the screen chamber turbid 5G torque Huawei Mate X or the star humming Huawei p30 pro or Image Berserker Google pixel xl3. Yuar veri much at risk esp buying an expensive Samsung that will be surpassed in few weeks by Oppo or Vivo. Those guys are restless in dishing out new drift scaling features. Talkless of Redmi. I'm not a xiaomi fan, so I can't talk much about them or even spell the name right.

Just get a cheap phone with breathtaking features during jumia/aliexpress promos. Enjoy for a while n Sell it off quickly around December. Before you know 2020 new cheap phones with orchid advanced spec will be released, that way you make a cycle of gadget experience instead of holding an expensive old experiment as a reminder of when yu'were dat rich.

Anyways, OP's phone is still dope but just expensive #218k. Jesu! And to Yakade, my Lenovo k5 pro guy that I quoted, thumbs up too you. Yuar all blessed.
God bless you my guy

2 Likes

Re: Samsung Galaxy A80 Review: A Great Phone With Bad Pricing by DonDada147: 10:32am On Aug 20, 2019
But I feel Samsung A3 is quite good with all these specs;

Operating System
Android v9.0 (Pie)
Display
6.4 inches (16.26 cm) bezel-less display with notch
Gorilla Glass 5 Protection
Design
Slim Design
Performance
Samsung Exynos 7 Octa 7904 Octa core Processor
4 GB RAM
64 GB internal storage, expandable upto 512 GB
Camera
16 + 5 MP Dual Rear Cameras
16 MP Front Camera
Battery
4000 mAh battery with Fast Charging
Connectivity
Dual SIM: Nano + Nano with Dual Standby VoLTE support
SIM1: Supports 4G, 3G
SIM2: Supports 4G, 3G
Special Features
Rear Fingerprint Sensor
Face Unlock
3.5 mm headphone jack present

Visit https://altmall.ng
For amazing prices

7 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Samsung Galaxy A80 Review: A Great Phone With Bad Pricing by audububa(m): 12:31pm On Aug 20, 2019
Yakade:
God bless you my guy
all the phones you mentioned are good but in terms of performance they are no where near flagships
Re: Samsung Galaxy A80 Review: A Great Phone With Bad Pricing by ruggedtimi(m): 1:09pm On Aug 20, 2019
just tell us you bought samsung A80
Re: Samsung Galaxy A80 Review: A Great Phone With Bad Pricing by Yakade(m): 2:09pm On Aug 20, 2019
audububa:
all the phones you mentioned are good but in terms of performance they are no where near flagships
yet you can't download God through your flagship
Re: Samsung Galaxy A80 Review: A Great Phone With Bad Pricing by nerdfrost(m): 2:30pm On Aug 20, 2019
the back looks very ugly
Re: Samsung Galaxy A80 Review: A Great Phone With Bad Pricing by Joystark(f): 2:47pm On Aug 20, 2019
Yakade:
Lol.. ah ah.
So much venom. grin
Re: Samsung Galaxy A80 Review: A Great Phone With Bad Pricing by Nobody: 4:27pm On Aug 20, 2019
Yakade:

This is a poitless comment. Flagship is not for everyone, buy what rocks ur boat and what u can afford.
Re: Samsung Galaxy A80 Review: A Great Phone With Bad Pricing by Alwaysking: 5:51pm On Aug 20, 2019
Joystark:
Lol.. ah ah. So much venom. grin
Will you shut up!
Re: Samsung Galaxy A80 Review: A Great Phone With Bad Pricing by Redpanter(m): 6:59pm On Aug 20, 2019
Samsung galaxy a80 + free Samsung fit E - #219k

Pay on delivery kiss kiss

Contact on : https:///2348127838587
Re: Samsung Galaxy A80 Review: A Great Phone With Bad Pricing by audububa(m): 8:54pm On Aug 20, 2019
ruggedtimi:
just tell us you bought samsung A80
I'll rather buy the redmi K20 pro than buy the Galaxy A80.. I only used it for 48 hrs

(1) (Reply)

Redmi Note 11 Users, Please Share Your Experience / Anger Worldwide As The New Iphone 6 Plus Bend In Users' Pocket / Mtn 3g Network

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.