Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,176 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:59 AM

Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors (37842 Views)

Transformation Of The Building Through Quality Painmting For Our Client / We Transform The Building Through Quality Painting / When All You Need Are Quality Doors For Your Building (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by Holluwhakemmy(f): 10:11pm On Aug 21, 2019
that reminds me of BLD 201 course building maintenance and services.

1 Like

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by sacx: 10:11pm On Aug 21, 2019
Justbeingreal:
cool

Lots of buildings experience damping and it's not cool at all..

Another stupid building mistake is putting water tank on top the building in a short while it starts wetting the walls and cause issues for the occupants..
Not necessarily a mistake if you would follow the right procedures. There are penthouses with swimming pool at the top. That can't be a mistake too.

1 Like

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by Rollitout: 10:16pm On Aug 21, 2019
My toilet is also affected

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by Kuluuu: 10:22pm On Aug 21, 2019
@OP while all the points you raised are germane, sand types and quality also contribute to it. If you doubt me, check houses in Abuja to confirm what am saying. Hardly can you see a building in Abuja without dampness and yet they observe all those precaustion you mentioned.
Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by ruby360: 10:26pm On Aug 21, 2019
Good info
Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by BENEAMATA: 10:35pm On Aug 21, 2019
starbuck:
I don't think I have plans of building house in this life kiss kiss... Let me chop belleful 1st
in the name of GOD , the alpha and the omega i make void that first sentence you made . The omnipotent that turns the rejected stone to a cornerstone will make you a landlord before this year runs out , amen ! Repeat amen and it will come to pass for you and all readers who believe by saying amen . Perhaps they mock me if i know the price of cement , i'll tell them the lord who raised dangote so high among men didn't apply any cement in doing so .

3 Likes

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by BENEAMATA: 10:39pm On Aug 21, 2019
Thanks op . More of these kind of info on front page mods biko
Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by MicroBox: 11:12pm On Aug 21, 2019
What can one do when the did as been done.
What is the side effect of having wet walls after rain, which I observe to be at the joint between one room and the other.
Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by MicroBox: 11:20pm On Aug 21, 2019
sacx:
Not necessarily a mistake if you would follow the right procedures. There are penthouses with swimming pool at the top. That can't be a mistake too.
You mean rooftop swimming pool is a no no?
I plan on using fiberglass for the pool beside we the company in Kaduna state that produces fiberglass so need importing. Abi is better to install hot tubs.
Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by baaliyah(m): 11:22pm On Aug 21, 2019
Kuluuu:
@OP while all the points you raised are germane, sand types and quality also contribute to it. If you doubt me, check houses in Abuja to confirm what am saying. Hardly can you see a building in Abuja without dampness and yet they observe all those precaustion you mentioned.
You made a lot of sense.
I lived in three different houses in Abuja, including one that belongs to a former minister of petroleum in Asokoro. All had wet walls, I am sure most houses in Abuja have German floors, 'DPC' yet walls get soaked.
My family house in Osun state was built in 1978, I was there last week during salha, the walls are still intact. My house in Akure is barely two years, I just noticed one of the rooms is being affected.
Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by phorget(m): 11:30pm On Aug 21, 2019
Kuluuu:

Observing all the precautions without taking consideration into what type of foundation is required on such a land.
The first factor before building is to know the type of foundation required, then observing every other procedures using the best practices.
Unfortunately,some clients will always see a good contractor as too expensive not knowing that cutting corners would eventually leads to more spending on repairs and corrections.

2 Likes

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by denixluma(m): 12:36am On Aug 22, 2019
very nice, a new company Business of sharing success(boss) int inc just came to nigeria, distributors wanted in all parts of the country, whassap me for more details 08086154620
Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by Caris77: 1:15am On Aug 22, 2019
Very informative, thanks for sharing
Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by slemzy07: 2:02am On Aug 22, 2019
Kuluuu:

Spot on. While I may not be a structural engineer, but my findings reveal from a possibility of many that the blocks and sand which are all made from Granite stone dust "quarry dust" which is used in the construction industry in Abuja is responsible for this. While it makes the vibrated blocks much stronger than the ones made from natural river sand "sharp sand", the downside of it is it aids capillary action greatly.
Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by swazpedro(m): 2:14am On Aug 22, 2019
This is actually not only for swampy areas with climate change and rise of sea level, capillary motion is inevitable, even our paints get damaged because of lack of damp proof membranes... Build right
Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by Naanlong01: 3:59am On Aug 22, 2019
NOL2dworld:
Useful information... Big up Ops.

A message to anyone who wishes to hear..

Are U going through a difficult patch in your marriage, in your business or on your job?

Do U feel U have been kept on hold or it seems your life is going round in circles?

U can stand on the finished work of Calvary where Jesus died for us and released us from every bondage.

Accept Jesus Christ, surrender to him, rededicate yourself to Him and make Him your personal Lord and Saviour. Accept Him now, for next minute may be too late..

If U want to give your life to Christ or If U have giving your life to Christ before but has taking it back.. This is the time to rededicate your life...
It will be a grievous mistake for one to live and die in this Nigeria and still end up in hell. At least if you did not enjoy life you should try not to miss heaven. Surrender your life to Jesus today and start a new life.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by Justbeingreal(m): 7:01am On Aug 22, 2019
sacx:
it's still a not so good idea right procedure or not water is water with time it will weaken the walls or block work or ceramics whatever that was used and find its way through.
Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by Oludon20: 8:23am On Aug 22, 2019
Thanks Op,this info is just on time for me. The house I am living in now has this problem and fortunately my own building is at the DPC stage now. I have been dead worried how to avoid same issue in my building.....This solves it. Thanks again Ok,I now have dividend on being on Nairaland
Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by henribj(m): 8:50am On Aug 22, 2019
Op thank you for sharing this knowledge.
Just one question though
In places like lekki, will this work?
Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by sacx: 9:08am On Aug 22, 2019
MicroBox:

You mean rooftop swimming pool is a no no?
I plan on using fiberglass for the pool beside we the company in Kaduna state that produces fiberglass so need importing. Abi is better to install hot tubs.
If installing hot tub is an option; then go ahead. And I wasn't speaking against rooftop swimming pool. If you have the right materials and you follow correct standards; you will do just fine.

1 Like

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by sacx: 9:12am On Aug 22, 2019
Justbeingreal:
it's still a not so good idea right procedure or not water is water with time it will weaken the walls or block work or ceramics whatever that was used and find its way through.
I'm sorry; but you may not be very current of how these things are done
Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by Emusan(m): 9:17am On Aug 22, 2019
Justbeingreal:
cool

Lots of buildings experience damping and it's not cool at all..

Another stupid building idea is putting water tank on top the building in a short while it starts wetting the walls and cause issues for the occupants..

Your first point is right

But I'm not totally agree with the second.
It's not a stupid idea, have you seen where a whole swimming pool was positioned at the top floor?

Putting overhead tank on top of roof isn't an issue but making adequate preparation for its usage and dilapidated.
Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by younix(f): 9:28am On Aug 22, 2019
Nice one
Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by cadian: 10:26am On Aug 22, 2019
Many thanks for the insight
Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by Justbeingreal(m): 12:16pm On Aug 22, 2019
Emusan:

Your first point is right

But I'm not totally agree with the second.
It's not a stupid idea, have you seen where a whole swimming pool was positioned at the top floor?

Putting overhead tank on top of roof isn't an issue but making adequate preparation for its usage and dilapidated.
Prolly the side effects of the ones I've seen made me feel it's a bad idea..
Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by Justbeingreal(m): 12:20pm On Aug 22, 2019
sacx:
I'm sorry; but you may not be very current of how these things are done
Maybe but if you go round and see many buildings where overhead tanks are on top of it 95% of em are causing damping and overtime that can even make the building to cave in.
Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by sacx: 12:27pm On Aug 22, 2019
Justbeingreal:
Maybe but if you go round and see many buildings where overhead tanks are on top of it 95% of em are causing damping and overtime that can even make the building to cave in.
Nigerians love to cut corners; that's the best explanation to it. You rarely see people contracting qualified architects and structural engineers to handle their projects. They rather involve masons who would give it to them cheaper for less quality.
Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by Justbeingreal(m): 1:23pm On Aug 22, 2019
sacx:
Nigerians love to cut corners; that's the best explanation to it. You rarely see people contracting qualified architects and structural engineers to handle their projects. They rather involve masons who would give it to them cheaper for less quality.
Exactly and by so doing not considering the welfare of the occupants that would finally rent those apartments because those houses where they cut corners the owners barely stay in it.

1 Like

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by innie77(m): 4:30pm On Aug 22, 2019
For Permanent Solution to your Rising Damp call us on 08097289972.

15+ years Guaranteed
Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by ArchAngelos999: 5:02pm On Aug 22, 2019
NOL2dworld:
Useful information... Big up Ops.

A message to anyone who wishes to hear..

Are U going through a difficult patch in your marriage, in your business or on your job?

Do U feel U have been kept on hold or it seems your life is going round in circles?

U can stand on the finished work of Calvary where Jesus died for us and released us from every bondage.

Accept Jesus Christ, surrender to him, rededicate yourself to Him and make Him your personal Lord and Saviour. Accept Him now, for next minute may be too late..

If U want to give your life to Christ or If U have giving your life to Christ before but has taking it back.. This is the time to rededicate your life...

you can't give life to Christ. Christ is the one to give you his life(eternal life)
Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by dotedote: 5:29pm On Aug 22, 2019
Nice one
Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by innie77(m): 6:41pm On Aug 22, 2019
baaliyah:

You made a lot of sense.
I lived in three different houses in Abuja, including one that belongs to a former minister of petroleum in Asokoro. All had wet walls, I am sure most houses in Abuja have German floors, 'DPC' yet walls get soaked.
My family house in Osun state was built in 1978, I was there last week during salha, the walls are still intact. My house in Akure is barely two years, I just noticed one of the rooms is being affected.

Call to Us for treatment and Permanent Solution

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG Offers One Bedroom Apartment For ₦9.2m Under Affordable Housing Scheme / 3AD Nightclub In Otta, Ogun On Fire / Different Types Of Nigerian Landlords (meme Collection)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.