Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,766 members, 7,820,677 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:19 PM

Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors (37826 Views)

Transformation Of The Building Through Quality Painmting For Our Client / We Transform The Building Through Quality Painting / When All You Need Are Quality Doors For Your Building (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by innie77(m): 8:41pm On Aug 22, 2019
slemzy07:

Spot on. While I may not be a structural engineer, but my findings reveal from a possibility of many that the blocks and sand which are all made from Granite stone dust "quarry dust" which is used in the construction industry in Abuja is responsible for this. While it makes the vibrated blocks much stronger than the ones made from natural river sand "sharp sand", the downside of it is it aids capillary action greatly.

My take on this is that,once the right thing is done no matter the soil type or topography, etc. The damp won't rise that's why bridges built inside water or swamp does not experience such. It all about following construction details to the latter.

We are into Building Services:

We profer a Permanent Solution to your building Rising Damp.

We do Concrete waterproofing

And all Maintenance works in your buildings

We are a Phone call away

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by JewelBukky(f): 5:44am On Aug 23, 2019
Very informative! @op, thanks for sharing.
Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by theoilguy: 12:41pm On Sep 08, 2019
MicroBox:

You mean rooftop swimming pool is a no no?
I plan on using fiberglass for the pool beside we the company in Kaduna state that produces fiberglass so need importing. Abi is better to install hot tubs.

Hello,

I am looking for the contact of the fiberglass company in kaduna. Can you please provide me with their contact information??

Thank you
Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by lorhema(f): 1:45pm On Sep 08, 2019
I observed, on holidays as a child, that houses in the city where we spent time had high foundations. We always climbed up stairs to the entrance door.

Later, I realised that the high foundations were adopted to avoid rising damp issues.

We adopted this practice in one of our buildings in a town where rising damp is an issue in many houses. The engineer who gave us some assistance said he was just being educated about the practice. You do everything @Op has stated and add the height of your foundation. It's expensive but pays off in the long run because you don't have issues of damp.
Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by innie77(m): 12:24pm On Apr 27, 2020
Good fellas,

On this issue of water rising from the ground into our buildings, I believe certain procedures are to be followed:

1. Before construction starts do a proper soil investigative test. By so doing the nature of Soil and the water table is known.
Also the best type of foundation is recommended.

2. Consult a Professional (you can contact us at DIAL HANDYMAN INTEGRATED SERVICES 08097289972).

3.Use Damp Proofing Materials to protect your foundation before the floor Slab(German Floor) is poured/cast. For extra protection.

But in case you are experiencing Damp Issues you can contact us for a permanent solution.

Call/WhatsApp: 08097289972
email: handymanintegratedservices@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by Hakeeb123: 7:30am On Sep 22, 2020
please where can i get this zycosil?
flami95:
Zycosil can be used for already dampen wall and surfaces

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by wealthtrak: 8:59am On Mar 09, 2022
Nighouseplans:
You’ve spent quite some amount of money finishing your building…hoping to live happily ever after but some months after moving in, you notice water seeping into the building through the floors. The walls swell, paints peel, dampness takes over and there’s eventually a stench in your house. What could this be??

You are disturbed and try to find a solution but later realise that none is real and lasting, only patching repairs which ends up consuming resources constantly.

A lot of home owners go through this experience nowadays. Many years back you hardly experience such but due to neglect, ignorance or greed water seeps into many buildings, even high-end buildings are not left out.

How could this have been avoided?

The Problem:

The simple issue is that some “contractors” do not follow standards either out of ignorance or desire to make more gain. Building owners may not be aware until its too late.

The culprit:

The culprit is capillary action: that’s the ability of water to rise through a substance.

Example: water rising through a cloth when you dip it in water. If your foundation build-up is not properly done, water will soon rise up through the ground to the floor and walls.

Many foundations are done by laying the floor slab directly over compacted earth. This makes it easy for water to find its way up into the building after a short while.

The Solution:

The solution to this issue is following standards. Its simple and cheaper overall. The correct process after digging and laying your foundation blocks is:

1. Fill foundation with filling sand.
2. After filling, compact the ground. Ramming the ground after water application is required for better compaction.
3. Pour hardcore. This can be rubble or broken blocks. Sand may be used if hardcore is expensive.Hardcore has larger pores than clay thereby
prevents water from rising up through the foundation.
4. Apply a bed of sand to receive waterproofing.
5. Apply waterproof membrane. The water proof membrane acts as the final cap/seal such that any dampness that find its way up is stopped.
6. Cast the ground slab using the correct concrete mix for the slab. The correct concrete mix will prevent cracks and will ultimately ensure that
dampness doesn’t find its way in over time.

It’s a futile attempt trying to repair a foundation after the building is done. Following these outlined steps will save you money while giving you the assurance and peace of mind that there will be no dampness in your building throughout its life cycle.

Wishing you success on your building project. Thank You.

https://nigerianhouseplans.com/best-way-to-prevent-water-from-sipping-into-your-building-through-the-floors/

Awesome info.
Nicely put. wink
Re: Best Way To Prevent Water From Sipping Into Your Building Through The Floors by Geekop: 10:49pm On Jun 08, 2023
Good to come across this thread.
We provide waterproofing solutions as well.
@Krafom_Engineering
0_7_0_3_9_3_1_0_7_6_3

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG Offers One Bedroom Apartment For ₦9.2m Under Affordable Housing Scheme / 3AD Nightclub In Otta, Ogun On Fire / What's The Name Of That Chemical For Cleaning Tiles, Where Can I Get It.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.