Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,747 members, 7,955,849 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 04:55 PM

Re: Suspected Herdsmen Kill Pregnant Woman In Enugu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Re: Suspected Herdsmen Kill Pregnant Woman In Enugu (360 Views)

Ondo Women Protest Half-naked Over Incessant Killings By Suspected Herdsmen / Soala West Killed By Suspected Herdsmen In Rivers / Okowa: Military Accompanied Suspected Herdsmen In Killing 8 Persons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Suspected Herdsmen Kill Pregnant Woman In Enugu by Spiritualism: 4:45pm On Aug 22, 2019
RE: SUSPECTED HERDSMEN KILL PREGNANT WOMAN IN ENUGU

BY Dr. Edwin Obune

I read the above story in the Punch Newspaper insinuating that herdsmen were responsible for the killing of a pregnant woman whose identity is yet to be established in Enugu State today.

However, I want to condemn whatever circumstances that might have led to the incidence in Nchatancha Nike in Enugu East Local Government Area of the state, but then I take exception in the claim that herdsmen were responsible for the action when the identity of the killer (s) have not been established by any authority in the state.

The reporter jumped the gun by claiming that herdsmen were responsible for the act, whereas the state Police Commissioner whom he contacted asked him to wait until both the identity of the victim and the killer(s) are established.

Again, while I condemn the unfortunate incident in it's entirety, I also condemn the Punch Newspaper reporter for being sensational in his reportage by not conducting proper investigation to ascertain the identity of those behind the crime nor waited for the state Police Command to establish the identity of the killer (s) before publishing it to the reading public.

I strongly believe, the reporter played to the gallery in his report. What stops him from using words like 'unknown gunmen' instead of herdsmen until the identity of the killer or killers are known?

What if the account of the police becomes different, whereas he has already made Nigerians to believe that herdsmen were responsible for the crime?

Just as the identity of the victim was not known, neither was the identity of the killer(s) known also.

Therefore, rushing to report the story without investigation will make Nigerians to suspect whether the Punch Newspaper correspondent in the state is on the payroll of those who have sworn to demarket the state and make it unpopular to investors.

More so, a content analysis of all his reports from the state since this year shows that he has biased mind against the Government, the Fulanis and the peace-loving people of Enugu State.

I'm also aware of the sustained efforts by some failed politicians from the state to use ethnic profiling against the Fulanis in the state to settle political scores and incite the people against the government without minding the collateral damage such an action would cause to the state and it's people in the future.

Finally, while I strongly condemn the killing, I urge Nigerians not to believe the report until the identity of the perpetrators of the crime are fully established by relevant authority.

I however commend the pro-active actions taken by the state governor to unravel the identity of the killer (s) .

In similar vein, I also commend other news media for not pointing accusing finger or pre-empting the identity of the killers in their reportage.

Dr. Edwin Obune is the leader of Enugu Youth Coalition

Re: Re: Suspected Herdsmen Kill Pregnant Woman In Enugu by SpecialAdviser(m): 4:50pm On Aug 22, 2019
I'm from Enugu state. I support we all be careful the way we conclude Fulani herdsmen conduct these crimes.

Some bad elements can exploit this to cause havoc.
Just cautioning.
Re: Re: Suspected Herdsmen Kill Pregnant Woman In Enugu by Infinixhot6: 5:20pm On Aug 22, 2019
Me self no understand wetin Ekweremadu, Toby Okechukwu and others want to achieve by directing their media team to blame Fulani for every crime in Enugu.

Ekewrwmadu has never condemned any attack against his people but would want to go and chop yam.

If it is crime, they will say Fulani but if na good thing they Igbo.

IPOB over to you
Re: Re: Suspected Herdsmen Kill Pregnant Woman In Enugu by Infinixhot6: 7:57pm On Aug 22, 2019
SpecialAdviser:
I'm from Enugu state. I support we all be careful the way we conclude Fulani herdsmen conduct these crimes.

Some bad elements can exploit this to cause havoc.
Just cautioning.

I like that.

You are fair, not those who will be attacking Fulani because APC president is Fulani

(1) (Reply)

Gunmen Kidnap Businessman, Wife, Friend In Enugu / Nigerian Migrants In Europe / Lagos Releases 123 Northern Traders After Governor Badaru Contacted Authorities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.