Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,758 members, 7,820,637 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:38 PM

Duties Of A Chief Of Staff Using USA As Case Study - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Duties Of A Chief Of Staff Using USA As Case Study (2302 Views)

Wonders: NEPA Staff Using Generator to fix a Transformer / Tinubu Should Just Appoint This Man As A Chief Of Staff. / NNPC Staff Using Ministry Of Justice Officials To Harass, Blackmail Me - Osakwe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Duties Of A Chief Of Staff Using USA As Case Study by exclusive2019: 7:33pm On Aug 22, 2019
Replying these threads

https://www.nairaland.com/5373984/buhari-reduced-ministers-abba-kyaris

https://www.nairaland.com/5373665/buhari-more-powers-kyari-barrier

Since many nairalanders do use USA to compare with Nigeria, I will be using the information on wikipedia to list out the roles performed by the White House Chief of Staff and then you can decide whether or not the Nigerian Predident was wrong

WHAT WHITE HOUSE CHIEF OFSTAFF ENTAILS

1. The White House chief of staff position is the successor to the earlier role of the President's private secretary. The role was formalized as the assistant to the president in 1946 and acquired its current title in 1961. The current official title is Assistant to the President and Chief of Staff.

2. The chief of staff is a political appointee of the president who does not require Senate confirmation, and who serves at the pleasure of the president.

3. The duties of the White House chief of staff vary greatly from one administration to another

4. All presidents have found the need for a chief of staff, who typically oversees the actions of the White House staff, manages the president's schedule, and DECIDES WHO IS ALLOWED TO MEET WITH THE PRESIDENT. Because of these duties, the chief of staff has at various times been labeled "The Gatekeeper."

5. Chris Whipple, author of The Gatekeepers: How the White House Chiefs of Staff Define Every Presidency, loosely describes the role of a White House chief of staff through his interview with former president Barack Obama: "During the last days of his presidency, Barack Obama observed: 'One of the things I've[b] learned is that the big breakthroughs are typically the result of a lot of grunt work[/b] —just a whole lot of blocking and tackling.' Grunt work is what chiefs of staff do

6.He Selects key White House staff and supervise them;

7. He Structures the White House staff system;

8. Controls the flow of people into the Oval Office;

9. He Manages the flow of information;

10. He Protects the interests of the president;

11. He Negotiates with Congress, other members of the executive branch, and extra-governmental political groups to implement the president's agenda;

12. He Advises the president on various issues, including telling the president what they do not want to hear

13. These responsibilities extend to firing of staff members

14. A rigid gatekeeper who would frequently meet with administration officials in place of the president, then report himself to Nixon on the officials' talking points

Sources: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_House_Chief_of_Staff

2 Likes

Re: Duties Of A Chief Of Staff Using USA As Case Study by ojun50(m): 7:47pm On Aug 22, 2019
The one in Nigeria is the president While baba go slow is the CHIEF OF STAFF

7 Likes

Re: Duties Of A Chief Of Staff Using USA As Case Study by Kyase(m): 7:56pm On Aug 22, 2019
Op, thank you....

2 Likes

Re: Duties Of A Chief Of Staff Using USA As Case Study by yarimo(m): 8:40pm On Aug 22, 2019
ojun50:
The one in Nigeria is the president While baba go slow is the CHIEF OF STAFF
are you one of Benin republic graduate? grin

11 Likes

Re: Duties Of A Chief Of Staff Using USA As Case Study by ojun50(m): 8:44pm On Aug 22, 2019
yarimo:
are you one of Benin republic graduate? grin

Yes, ND you must be from Togo

2 Likes

Re: Duties Of A Chief Of Staff Using USA As Case Study by yarimo(m): 8:49pm On Aug 22, 2019
ojun50:

but NYSC doesn't have issues with Togo graduates . grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Duties Of A Chief Of Staff Using USA As Case Study by Toroso: 8:50pm On Aug 22, 2019
You are advice to make use of the empty skull on your neck but you will not stop grunting like a pig

ojun50:

2 Likes

Re: Duties Of A Chief Of Staff Using USA As Case Study by BBBmall25: 9:23pm On Aug 22, 2019
Op This Table U're Shaking, U Want Give Some People Sleepless Night Abi...?
Re: Duties Of A Chief Of Staff Using USA As Case Study by Babzrockman: 9:37pm On Aug 22, 2019
Chief of Staff is a very powerful post. I came to know more about their roles when i watched 24

7 Likes

Re: Duties Of A Chief Of Staff Using USA As Case Study by ChristianEast: 10:47pm On Aug 22, 2019
Chief of Staff manages the president's private staff and the residence has nothing to do with the FEC. He decides who sees the president as his chief itinerary officer but cabinet members don't report to him.

The USA doesn't have SGF and also permanent secretary, State House but Nigeria does.

Get your facts right before deceiving your fellow zombies.

The COS is the highest officer in the office of the president while the SGF is the highest officer in the presidency. I am sure you can't separate between the two.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Duties Of A Chief Of Staff Using USA As Case Study by SmallmebigGod: 12:43am On Aug 23, 2019
Babzrockman:
Chief of Staff is a very powerful post. I came to know more about their roles when i watched 24
There is also a movie with female president can't. Remember the name. Obviously chief of staffs are powerful than the president ,, they can make or mal him if care is not taken

1 Like

Re: Duties Of A Chief Of Staff Using USA As Case Study by ursullalinda(f): 3:45am On Aug 23, 2019
OP which kind over size shoe be this... abeg use Ghana dey site example
Re: Duties Of A Chief Of Staff Using USA As Case Study by helinues: 6:09am On Aug 23, 2019
Still some people will still twist this facts..

They made up their minds long time ago.. Well, they have 3 years plus for more gnashing of teeth

2 Likes

Re: Duties Of A Chief Of Staff Using USA As Case Study by Babzrockman: 7:50am On Aug 23, 2019
SmallmebigGod:

There is also a movie with female president can't. Remember the name. Obviously chief of staffs are powerful than the president ,, they can make or mal him if care is not taken

Exactly my brother
Re: Duties Of A Chief Of Staff Using USA As Case Study by ClassicMG(m): 8:26am On Aug 23, 2019
Babzrockman:
the role played by Mike Novick really make me like all this appointment stuff than elective role
Re: Duties Of A Chief Of Staff Using USA As Case Study by Jackossky(m): 9:39am On Aug 23, 2019
Hahah watching 24 was a blast.
An unguided chief of staff could simply ruin the whole regime.
Re: Duties Of A Chief Of Staff Using USA As Case Study by exclusive2019: 11:26am On Aug 24, 2019
ChristianEast:
Chief of Staff manages the president's private staff and the residence has nothing to do with the FEC. He decides who sees the president as his chief itinerary officer but cabinet members don't report to him.

The USA doesn't have SGF and also permanent secretary, State House but Nigeria does.

Get your facts right before deceiving your fellow zombies.

The COS is the highest officer in the office of the president while the SGF is the highest officer in the presidency. I am sure you can't separate between the two.

It seems you still don't understand why I used USA as a case study with Wikipedia as my source. May be because of your party affiliation.

Let me teach you,
The Chief of staff, ministers and SGF are political appointees of the president. They are all staff of the president. The chief of staff does not need to be approved by the senate. Though the ministers need to be approved by the senate, the president can at anytime remove or replace any minister.

Do you think that the president will just wake up one morning and change a minister without the inputs and influence of the Chief of all staff of the presidency. The senate or the public members cannot give instruction to the presidents on what roles the chief of staff should perform. The type, success and failure of any decision or policies coming out from the presidency should be traced to the three main actors of the presidency. The chief of staff can even go to the extent of frustrating the president at his back on certain decisions taken which do not favour him.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Babagana Kingibe Is The Only Person / Edo 2020: See APC’s Ize-Iyamu Message To PDP’s Obaseki On His 63rd Birthday / Kwankwaso, Former Kano Governor Set To Rejoin APC.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.