Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,882 members, 7,817,595 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:13 PM

5 heartbreaking reasons Why Certificated And Gainfully Employed People Are Poor - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 heartbreaking reasons Why Certificated And Gainfully Employed People Are Poor (429 Views)

Damage At Michael Okpara University Heartbreaking, Will Cost N2bn To Repair / 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA / Nkechi Alexandra Kingsley: Lagos Polytechnic Best Graduating Student Employed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 heartbreaking reasons Why Certificated And Gainfully Employed People Are Poor by Gbenga238(m): 7:40pm On Aug 24, 2019
When I look into the society of ours today, I wonder where the glory and joy of "Working hard, and get a good job" has gone. Why are so many certificated educated people poor even after so many degrees, they still live on loans and cooperatives. Where has the dream of financial liberation that the educational system promised gone to?

These are questions that linger in my mind, which made me took action on finding the cause and probably the solution.

Its no more news the incessant complain and agony of the working class over shortcoming of the government towards the fulfillment its duties. Irregularities in payment of salaries and arrears pose a threat towards the smooth administration of this great country, currently as at the time of writing this post the Non-academic staff union (NASU) of the Nigerian universities are on strike. Strike action is now a regular method towards checking and making sure the needs of workers is met by the government, the gainfully employed educated people are finding it hard to take care of their expenses, they depend on loans to take care of it.
To cut the long story short, let's dive into some of the reasons why most of the certificated people are finding it hard to live the life of luxury
they crave for:

1. Lack of financial education.

Many educated and gainfully employed people are poor today because they lack financial education, basically the plan is to learn, get a certificate, apply for a good job, and save against retirement.
You might be vast and very skilled in your field of expertise, you might have acquired a reasonable number of degrees and certificates and a high paying job, and still know nothing about money, that's because financial education isn't taught in school, and only few people manage to acquire it.
Our educational system isn't designed to equip us with that knowledge, therefore people that acquire it do so outside of the school curriculum. What then is the way out?
Get financial education by reading books like Rich dad_poor dad, listen to audio books or enroll in programs that aim to teach financial education.

2. Many people end their education in school

Bill Gates once said "Learning doesn't end in the walls of the classroom, it's a lifetime course". Many believe that education is the degree and certificate they got from school, the truth is that education is far more than that.
Education is what you get through out your life, its like food and necessary as water, it's what you should get everyday. Many people don't believe this, they feel they don't need that hard work, if you are one of them, then forget about being financially liberated because like Warren Buffet noted this is the information age, information is power.
Unfortunately, information gets outdated so if you are not up to date about what's going on in this society in which competition increases everyday, and you don't take your time to learn new things, you are not likely to come across knowledge necessary to create wealth. Start seeing it as food, it is what you should take everyday of you life.

3. They lack skills needed to create wealth

In school, we are taught how to be an employee, we are taught specialization, how to work alone. If we look at the society today, those that are hitting milestone don't do it singlehandedly, they do it with the help of others. People who stick with what they learn in school lack basic survival and manipulative skills needed to thrive in times of hardship, they depend on jobs, all they seek is to be gainfully employed, this way wealth can't be created and what it results to is complain just like we have in our society today.

4.They keep buying liabilities.

Since many educated people lack financial education, they buy every new thing in the market, they mismanage money, they buy liabilities, things that increases their expenses day by day, and at the end of the day they end up in debt. If you are asking what I mean by liability, according to Robert Kiyosaki, a liability is something that you buy and it keeps taking away your money, while an asset is something you buy and it ends up creating income for you. If you want to create a positive cashflow and create wealth, stop wasting money on things you don't really need, use that money to buy assets that will create another source of income for you.

5.Job insecurity

An employee's job depends on the decision of others while entrepreneurs are in control of their jobs. Many graduates spend years doing temporary jobs that can hardly take care of their expenses before being gainfully employed, this constitute more reason why many are unable to break free of their financial problems.
At times, when unexpected disaster and situation happens, employed people lose their jobs, and in order to take care of expenses they go into debt which sometimes takes years before they can recover from it.

FINAL WORDS

Being educated is crucial to attaining financial independence, mostly financial education is informal, with financial education you will learn how to manage money efficiently, these ideas are just some of the reasons I've noticed why gainfully employed educated folks are struggling financially. Share this post if you find it helpful, support me by liking my facebook page where I use to share more valuable ideas that can help in improving this society, and let me know what you think using the comment box below.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 heartbreaking reasons Why Certificated And Gainfully Employed People Are Poor by Nobody: 8:39pm On Aug 24, 2019
Ok

1 Like

Re: 5 heartbreaking reasons Why Certificated And Gainfully Employed People Are Poor by Tocynone(m): 8:40pm On Aug 24, 2019
A very good write up that could save many employees from debt after working for many years without anything to show.
Thank you OP

1 Like

Re: 5 heartbreaking reasons Why Certificated And Gainfully Employed People Are Poor by Numero9: 9:12pm On Aug 24, 2019
So true. Financial literacy isn't just a course but a school of it's own.

1 Like

Re: 5 heartbreaking reasons Why Certificated And Gainfully Employed People Are Poor by Gbenga238(m): 9:53pm On Aug 24, 2019
Tocynone:
A very good write up that could save many employees from debt after working for many years without anything to show.
Thank you OP
Thanks man

1 Like

Re: 5 heartbreaking reasons Why Certificated And Gainfully Employed People Are Poor by Gbenga238(m): 9:56pm On Aug 24, 2019
Numero9:
So true. Financial literacy isn't just a course but a school of it's own.
Many people don't just care to learn about it, that's why things are harder. I believe after being financially literate, the only work should be in using it to pull off great feats and creating financial independence in the end.

1 Like

Re: 5 heartbreaking reasons Why Certificated And Gainfully Employed People Are Poor by sweetilicious(f): 9:05am On Aug 25, 2019
Exactly

(1) (Reply)

Public Primary Schools In Edo Witness Influx Of Pupils From Private Schools / UI Releases Cut-off Marks For 2019/2020 Admission / Cardiff University Overview: Rankings, Tuition, Scholarships And Funding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.