Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,476 members, 7,816,122 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:49 AM

Before Ojukwu There Was Boro, Before Biafra There Was Niger Delta Republic - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Before Ojukwu There Was Boro, Before Biafra There Was Niger Delta Republic (2246 Views)

EXECUTIVE SLAPPING: Before Bianca Ojukwu There Was Tola Ajayi (life Story) / What Igbos Need To Get Right Before Biafra / Pictures Of Heavy Equipments Moved To Boro Port. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Before Ojukwu There Was Boro, Before Biafra There Was Niger Delta Republic by Odinceblog1: 2:20am On Aug 25, 2019
Freedom fighter, Major Isaac Jasper Adaka Boro (September 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968) after his arrest, March 7, 1966.

Boro was an undergraduate student of Chemistry and student union president at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, but he left school to lead an armed protest against the exploitation of oil and gas resources in the Niger Delta areas which benefited mainly the Federal Government of Nigeria and the Eastern region with capital at Enugu.

Boro believed that the people of the area deserved a larger share of proceeds of the oil wealth because nothing was given to the Niger Delta people. He formed the Niger Delta Volunteer Force, an armed militia with members consisting mainly of his fellow Ijaw ethnic group, declared the Niger Delta Republic on February 23, 1966, and fought Nigeria’s federal forces for 12 days but were eventually defeated.

Boro and his comrades were then jailed by the Aguiyi-Ironsi Federal Military Government for............Readmore

FINISH READING AT ODINCEBLOG: https://odinceblog.com/before-ojukwu-there-was-boro-before-biafra-there-was-niger-delta-republic/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Before Ojukwu There Was Boro, Before Biafra There Was Niger Delta Republic by eleko1: 4:02am On Aug 25, 2019
cool
Re: Before Ojukwu There Was Boro, Before Biafra There Was Niger Delta Republic by oyin44: 5:10am On Aug 25, 2019
During the Ironsi regime,neither ironsi himself nor ojukwu showed any depth of feeling or respect for these minority groups.They did not feel compelled to go with the ibos before the civil war.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Before Ojukwu There Was Boro, Before Biafra There Was Niger Delta Republic by Nobody: 7:36am On Aug 25, 2019
What Igbo's will never tell you.the ijaw knows this, the Niger Delta knows this but only keeping quiet, they love Igbo's but forming a country with them is impossible.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Before Ojukwu There Was Boro, Before Biafra There Was Niger Delta Republic by Nobody: 7:37am On Aug 25, 2019
oyin44:
During the Ironsi regime,neither ironsi himself nor ojukwu showed any depth of feeling or respect for these minority groups.They did not feel compelled to go with the ibos before the civil war.
in fact the Igbo's were trying to colonize those minorities, since they are no longer in power they play the victim card

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Before Ojukwu There Was Boro, Before Biafra There Was Niger Delta Republic by oyin44: 11:30am On Aug 25, 2019
Igbosmoker:
in fact the Igbo's were trying to colonize those minorities, since they are no longer in power they play the victim card
ofcourse my broda you're right
Re: Before Ojukwu There Was Boro, Before Biafra There Was Niger Delta Republic by gidgiddy: 12:11pm On Aug 25, 2019
Comparing Adaka Boro and Ojukwu is like comparing Apples and Oranges, both may be round but that's where the similarity ends.

1)Ojukwu declared the former Eastern Nigeria as a separate country, nobody knows what area Adaka Boro was declaring Niger Delta Republic

2)Ojukwu was in control of the Eastern Region, Adaka Boro never controlled anywhere

3)Ojukwu actually seceded, Adaka Boro only made a meaningless declaration

4)Biafra was actually a separate country for 3 years with it's own, currency, it's own coat of arms, head of state, cabinet,

Adaka Boro's Niger Delta Republic did got beyond mere words.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Before Ojukwu There Was Boro, Before Biafra There Was Niger Delta Republic by Flyingngel(m): 12:27pm On Aug 25, 2019
The Niger Deltans support the Igbo's right to stand on her own but looking for way to draft the ijaws, Isekeri, Urohbo, Andoni,Benin, Ibibio, Annang e.t.c in that union is dead on arrival.
Peradventure we move with them, the kind of oppression on the minorities by the Igbo will pass what we experiencing now in Nigeria.
During the war OJUKWU hurried sent an Igbo man to control the old Opobo division instead of and Ibibio man.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before Ojukwu There Was Boro, Before Biafra There Was Niger Delta Republic by Nobody: 1:00pm On Aug 25, 2019
gidgiddy:
Comparing Adaka Boro and Ojukwu is like comparing Apples and Oranges, both may be round but that's where the similarity ends.

1)Ojukwu declared the former Eastern Nigeria as a separate country, nobody knows what area Adaka Boro was declaring Niger Delta Republic

2)Ojukwu was in control of the Eastern Region, Adaka Boro never controlled anywhere

3)Ojukwu actually seceded, Adaka Boro only made a meaningless declaration

4)Biafra was actually a separate country for 3 years with it's own, currency, it's own coat of arms, head of state, cabinet,

Adaka Boro's Niger Delta Republic did got beyond mere words.
Stop trying to deceive the Ijaws or give the Igbos false hopes by spreading unverified news.
Wikipedia source :
Isaac Adaka Boro
Major Isaac Jasper Adaka Boro (September 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968), fondly called "Boro", was a Nigerian nationalist, Ijaw, and soldier. He was one of the pioneers of minority rights activism in Nigeria.[1][2]
Isaac Adaka Boro
Personal details
Born
September 10, 1938
Olobiri, Bayelsa State
Died
May 9, 1968 (aged 29)
Ogu, Okrika, Rivers State
Children
Deborah Waritimi, Esther Boro, Felix Boro
Profession
Political activist, soldier
He was many parts and different things to different people - a university students leader, a teacher, policeman and Nigerian army officer. *
An undergraduate student of chemistry and student union president at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, he left school to lead an armed protest against the exploitation of oil and gas resources in the Niger Delta areas which benefited mainly the federal government of Nigeria and Eastern region with capital in Enugu and nothing was given to the Niger Delta people.*
He believed that the people of the area deserved a larger share of proceeds of the oil wealth. He formed the Niger Delta Volunteer Force, an armed militia with members consisting mainly of his fellow Ijaw ethnic group.*
They declared the Niger Delta Republic on February 23, 1966 and fought with federal forces for twelve days before being defeated. *
Boro and his comrades were jailed for treason. However, the federal regime of General Yakubu Gowon granted him amnesty on the eve of the Nigerian civil war in May 1967.*
He then enlisted and was commissioned as a major in the Nigerian army. He fought on the side of the Federal Government but was killed under mysterious circumstances in active service in 1968 at Ogu (near Okrika) in Rivers State.*
Niger Delta activists like [[Ken Saro-Wiwa],[Mujahid Dokubo-Asari]] and many others often referred to him as a major inspiration.*
Biography
Early life
In his autobiography, "The Twelve-Day Revolution", Boro wrote about his early life:[3]
"I am reliably informed that I was born at the zero hour of twelve midnight on 10 September 1938, in the oil town of Olobiri along humid creeks of the Niger Delta.*
My father was the headmaster of the only mission school there. Before I was old enough to know my surroundings, I was already in a city called Port Harcourt where my father was again the headmaster of another mission school. *
This was in the early forties. The next environment where I found myself was in my home town, Kaiama. My father had been sent there to head a school yet again." ****
Niger Delta revolt
On February 23, 1966 Boro declared the secession of the "Niger Delta Republic":[4]
"Today is a great day, not only in your lives but also in the history of the Niger Delta. Perhaps, it will be the greatest day for a very long time.*
This is not because we are going to bring the heavens down, but because we are going to demonstrate to the world what and how we feel about oppression. Remember your 70-year-old grandmother who still farms before she eats; remember also your poverty-stricken people; remember, too, your petroleum which is being pumped out daily from your veins; and then fight for your freedom." ******
Legacy
Boro's revolt signified the first armed rebellion against the Federal Republic of Nigeria.[5] Boro has been widely cited as an inspiration for both violent and non-violent Niger Delta activists.
///////////////////////// Wikipedia article ends above.
** Ijaws are different from Igbos**
From sources, whether you spend 1 day or one week in office you are remembered forever for the time you spent in office.
Biafra fought to be a nation but was never a nation,Nigeria under Gowon said no to Ojukwu's rebellion hence there was a civil war.
Adaka boro was the first person to declare such resistance to free his people.
How long Adaka Boro's or Ojukwu 's war lasted was a matter of battle techniques and arsenals.
Ijaws and Igbos can and should not form any nation together because they have different origins.
****Adaka Boro declared Niger Delta Republic and was not supported by the Igbos.
He was arrested and later released by Gowon to fight against Ojukwu's Biafra.
Ijaws and Igbos should seek their independence differently.//////

3 Likes

Re: Before Ojukwu There Was Boro, Before Biafra There Was Niger Delta Republic by gidgiddy: 1:42pm On Aug 25, 2019
Flyingngel:
The Niger Deltans support the Igbo's right to stand on her own but looking for way to draft the ijaws, Isekeri, Urohbo, Andoni,Benin, Ibibio, Annang e.t.c in that union is dead on arrival.
Peradventure we move with them, the kind of oppression on the minorities by the Igbo will pass what we experiencing now in Nigeria.
During the war OJUKWU hurried sent an Igbo man to control the old Opobo division instead of and Ibibio man.

I dont think anybody should should speak for anybody. That's why the Biafran agitators want a referendum where the Ibibios, Ogoja, Ijaw and the rest can all speak for themselves

2 Likes

Re: Before Ojukwu There Was Boro, Before Biafra There Was Niger Delta Republic by xtgozie(m): 1:53pm On Aug 25, 2019
Love4God:

Stop trying to deceive the Ijaws or give the Igbos false hopes by spreading unverified news.
Wikipedia source :
Isaac Adaka Boro
Major Isaac Jasper Adaka Boro (September 10, 1938 – May 9, 1968), fondly called "Boro", was a Nigerian nationalist, Ijaw, and soldier. He was one of the pioneers of minority rights activism in Nigeria.[1][2]
Isaac Adaka Boro
Personal details
Born
September 10, 1938
Olobiri, Bayelsa State
Died
May 9, 1968 (aged 29)
Ogu, Okrika, Rivers State
Children
Deborah Waritimi, Esther Boro, Felix Boro
Profession
Political activist, soldier
He was many parts and different things to different people - a university students leader, a teacher, policeman and Nigerian army officer. *
An undergraduate student of chemistry and student union president at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, he left school to lead an armed protest against the exploitation of oil and gas resources in the Niger Delta areas which benefited mainly the federal government of Nigeria and Eastern region with capital in Enugu and nothing was given to the Niger Delta people.*
He believed that the people of the area deserved a larger share of proceeds of the oil wealth. He formed the Niger Delta Volunteer Force, an armed militia with members consisting mainly of his fellow Ijaw ethnic group.*
They declared the Niger Delta Republic on February 23, 1966 and fought with federal forces for twelve days before being defeated. *
Boro and his comrades were jailed for treason. However, the federal regime of General Yakubu Gowon granted him amnesty on the eve of the Nigerian civil war in May 1967.*
He then enlisted and was commissioned as a major in the Nigerian army. He fought on the side of the Federal Government but was killed under mysterious circumstances in active service in 1968 at Ogu (near Okrika) in Rivers State.*
Niger Delta activists like [[Ken Saro-Wiwa],[Mujahid Dokubo-Asari]] and many others often referred to him as a major inspiration.*
Biography
Early life
In his autobiography, "The Twelve-Day Revolution", Boro wrote about his early life:[3]
"I am reliably informed that I was born at the zero hour of twelve midnight on 10 September 1938, in the oil town of Olobiri along humid creeks of the Niger Delta.*
My father was the headmaster of the only mission school there. Before I was old enough to know my surroundings, I was already in a city called Port Harcourt where my father was again the headmaster of another mission school. *
This was in the early forties. The next environment where I found myself was in my home town, Kaiama. My father had been sent there to head a school yet again." ****
Niger Delta revolt
On February 23, 1966 Boro declared the secession of the "Niger Delta Republic":[4]
"Today is a great day, not only in your lives but also in the history of the Niger Delta. Perhaps, it will be the greatest day for a very long time.*
This is not because we are going to bring the heavens down, but because we are going to demonstrate to the world what and how we feel about oppression. Remember your 70-year-old grandmother who still farms before she eats; remember also your poverty-stricken people; remember, too, your petroleum which is being pumped out daily from your veins; and then fight for your freedom." ******
Legacy
Boro's revolt signified the first armed rebellion against the Federal Republic of Nigeria.[5] Boro has been widely cited as an inspiration for both violent and non-violent Niger Delta activists.
///////////////////////// Wikipedia article ends above.
** Ijaws are different from Igbos**
From sources, whether you spend 1 day or one week in office you are remembered forever for the time you spent in office.
Biafra fought to be a nation but was never a nation,Nigeria under Gowon said no to Ojukwu's rebellion hence there was a civil war.
Adaka boro was the first person to declare such resistance to free his people.
How long Adaka Boro's or Ojukwu 's war lasted was a matter of battle techniques and arsenals.
Ijaws and Igbos can and should not form any nation together because they have different origins.
****Adaka Boro declared Niger Delta Republic and was not supported by the Igbos.
So?
Re: Before Ojukwu There Was Boro, Before Biafra There Was Niger Delta Republic by Nobody: 2:01pm On Aug 25, 2019
xtgozie:

So?
I believe the Wikipedia article and my view on the Niger Delta Republic and the Biafran Republic agititations are self explanatory.

1 Like

Re: Before Ojukwu There Was Boro, Before Biafra There Was Niger Delta Republic by Unik3030: 2:07pm On Aug 25, 2019
xtgozie:

So?
so do unto others what u want others to do unto u. igbos never wanted seccession from people they feel are their subjects thereby crashing baros dream within 12days n when the wanted to secceed from Nigeria, Nigeria gave them the same treatment they gave unto Niger delta n till today they are still grinning in pains. so what u can't take, don't do it to others

4 Likes

Re: Before Ojukwu There Was Boro, Before Biafra There Was Niger Delta Republic by gidgiddy: 2:16pm On Aug 25, 2019
Love4God:

We all have different origins but we all together in Nigeria. Adaka Boro just went into a bush and declared Niger Delta Republic, anybody can do that. If I like I can go to the bush behind my house and declare "Enugu Republic" this afternoon. It does not mean anything

2 Likes

Re: Before Ojukwu There Was Boro, Before Biafra There Was Niger Delta Republic by garfield1: 2:20pm On Aug 25, 2019
Flyingngel:
I agree.i have several examples.igbos can secede but should never involve niger delta.we will rather remain with nigeria or go our own way and get a niger delta republic like adaka boro wanted

2 Likes

Re: Before Ojukwu There Was Boro, Before Biafra There Was Niger Delta Republic by garfield1: 2:21pm On Aug 25, 2019
gidgiddy:

We all have different origins but we all together in Nigeria. Adaka Boro just went into a bush and declared Niger Delta Republic, anybody can do that. If I like I can go to the bush behind my house and declare "Enugu Republic" this afternoon. It does not mean anything
Officially,he declared secession before ojukwu,thats a historical fact

1 Like

Re: Before Ojukwu There Was Boro, Before Biafra There Was Niger Delta Republic by Nobody: 2:35pm On Aug 25, 2019
gidgiddy:

If you don't have patience to read my comments please don't quote me.
Wikipedia source states that Adaka Boro's led Niger Delta Republic was the first armed resistance signified or acknowledged by the Nigerian government which made Adaka Boro to be arrested .
Over the last two decades what has Nnamdi kanu led Biafra fought ;in terms of (armed resistance) compared to those agitating for the Niger Delta Republic .
Don't spread fake news.
Re: Before Ojukwu There Was Boro, Before Biafra There Was Niger Delta Republic by Flyingngel(m): 2:44pm On Aug 25, 2019
garfield1 post:

I agree.i have several examples.igbos can secede but should never involve niger delta.we will rather remain with nigeria or go our own way and get a niger delta republic like adaka boro wanted.

That is it.
Re: Before Ojukwu There Was Boro, Before Biafra There Was Niger Delta Republic by Flyingngel(m): 2:50pm On Aug 25, 2019
gidgiddy post:

I dont think anybody should should speak for anybody. That's why the Biafran agitators want a referendum where the Ibibios, Ogoja, Ijaw and the rest can all speak for themselves.

I pray this referendum will one day come to reality.
Re: Before Ojukwu There Was Boro, Before Biafra There Was Niger Delta Republic by NLandIsHypocrit: 3:26pm On Aug 25, 2019
This the handiwork of yolloba gutter media in their mischievous bid of divide and rule project in Biafra. But light will always outshine darkness at end. Truth will outlive lies.
Re: Before Ojukwu There Was Boro, Before Biafra There Was Niger Delta Republic by xtgozie(m): 6:16pm On Aug 26, 2019
Unik3030:
so do unto others what u want others to do unto u. igbos never wanted seccession from people they feel are their subjects thereby crashing baros dream within 12days n when the wanted to secceed from Nigeria, Nigeria gave them the same treatment they gave unto Niger delta n till today they are still grinning in pains. so what u can't take, don't do it to others
I don't think the Igbos are grinning in pains like the Niger Deltans.....I've visited both the Niger Delta, and the Ibo states... There is a very clear contrast in the standard of living.

The Igbos are really eluded to hold power, while the Niger Deltans are eluded of a good life.
Re: Before Ojukwu There Was Boro, Before Biafra There Was Niger Delta Republic by xtgozie(m): 6:43pm On Aug 26, 2019
Love4God:

I believe the Wikipedia article and my view on the Niger Delta Republic and the Biafran Republic agititations are self explanatory.
Abi?
Re: Before Ojukwu There Was Boro, Before Biafra There Was Niger Delta Republic by muykem: 7:01pm On Aug 26, 2019
Without mixing words the greatest challenge to actualization of Biafra is Igbo interest to go with Niger delta.

(1) (Reply)

The Body Buried Today Is Not Abba Kyari, He Was Cremated In Ikoyi -kemi Olunloyo / Why Mamman Daura-led Cabal Opposed Yusuf’s Isolation Despite Covid-19 Exposure / Obaseki Where's Gelegele Sea Port??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.