Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,285 members, 7,818,960 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:02 AM

Frances Ogamba Wins 2019 Koffi Addo Prize For Creative Nonfiction Awards - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Frances Ogamba Wins 2019 Koffi Addo Prize For Creative Nonfiction Awards (8203 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie Wins Grand Women’s Prize For Half Of A Yellow Sun (Photo) / Ayobami Adebayo Wins £15,000 9mobile Prize For Literature / Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Frances Ogamba Wins 2019 Koffi Addo Prize For Creative Nonfiction Awards by tstx(m): 8:47am On Aug 26, 2019
Authors Resoketswe Manenzhe from South Africa and Frances Ogamba from Nigeria have won the 2019 Writivism Short Story and Koffi Addo Prize for Creative Nonfiction awards, respectively.

Manenzhe was recognised for her short story Maserumo and Ogamba was rewarded for The Valley of Memories, at the awards ceremony held on August 18 in Kampala.Both stories capture the power of African spiritualism, beliefs and reincarnation.

Frances Ogamba’s Valley of Memories begins with a very well crated line, “To live with another man’s wounds is to wake at midnights with a searing pain and listen to the man breathe and exist.

”I am going to my uncle (Okwueke), the man who has been dead for seventy years and has inhabited my body for twenty-three odd years. I am visiting his one-time home through the Milken hill road that sits firmly on a ledge. The road is a coiled wire uncurling on discovery. The tars on it have cracked in some parts and lay bare a dusty terrain. A slope and a cliff flank the track on both sides, and tall slender trees of a certain breed stick out from the slope like praying hands. The verdure of the lush and virgin forest meld with the skies. The brae of the cliff is patterned in horizontal lines, like cornrows on a child’s hair. Bold writing done with the white chalk is waning from weather effects: Vote for Ugwuanyi. Man of the people. The forest injects a coolness that wiggles along the route, the calm as rich as I’d imagined it’d be.

Frances however, does a lot more than tell a story of her connection with a late uncle, Okwueke, she does the greater work of centering an African understanding of what happens before human life and after death.

Manenzhe and Frances Ogamba received a plaque and cash award of $500 each, as well as a chance to work on their manuscript in a one month residency at Stellenbosch University in South Africa.

“Winning this award means a lot to me. I have never won a prize. And this one is quite a big one, and amazing,” Manenzhe said.“

This award means a whole lot. It opens my story to a wide audience,” Ogamba said.

The 2019 Writivism Festival was held at the National Theatre in Kampala from August 15 to 18.

There were conversations, poetry recitals, stage plays, book readings and launches, and writing and photography masterclasses.

There was screening of short films and a photo exhibition by Marie Ainomugisha, Daniel Msrikale, Nebila Abdulmelik and Wasi Daniju.
The festival also paid tribute to the late Kenyan author Binyavanga Wainaina.

https://listwand.com/nigerian-wins-2019-koffi-addo-prize-for-creative-nonfiction-awards/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Frances Ogamba Wins 2019 Koffi Addo Prize For Creative Nonfiction Awards by sylve11: 2:29pm On Aug 26, 2019
congrats....... cool
Re: Frances Ogamba Wins 2019 Koffi Addo Prize For Creative Nonfiction Awards by Citytrend: 2:29pm On Aug 26, 2019
Congrats
Re: Frances Ogamba Wins 2019 Koffi Addo Prize For Creative Nonfiction Awards by Glycosunde: 2:30pm On Aug 26, 2019
Nice one not every time only bad news will Nigerians be mentioned

2 Likes

Re: Frances Ogamba Wins 2019 Koffi Addo Prize For Creative Nonfiction Awards by Authortee: 2:30pm On Aug 26, 2019
God bless you girl for making us proud.
I’m taking the next one in 2020

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Frances Ogamba Wins 2019 Koffi Addo Prize For Creative Nonfiction Awards by loginia: 2:31pm On Aug 26, 2019
Talented child. Don't, slack off and go beyond Africa.

Make 100% Profit in 25 mins Repeatedly With Binary Option Click Here to Learn More
Re: Frances Ogamba Wins 2019 Koffi Addo Prize For Creative Nonfiction Awards by bleepmate(m): 2:32pm On Aug 26, 2019
congratulations
Re: Frances Ogamba Wins 2019 Koffi Addo Prize For Creative Nonfiction Awards by bleepmate(m): 2:33pm On Aug 26, 2019
sprayx54890:
how true is it?
Re: Frances Ogamba Wins 2019 Koffi Addo Prize For Creative Nonfiction Awards by Tumbulum: 2:33pm On Aug 26, 2019
NCAN is here to verify the name.
Re: Frances Ogamba Wins 2019 Koffi Addo Prize For Creative Nonfiction Awards by Nobody: 2:34pm On Aug 26, 2019
Though we don't know her,but she has done well for herself and her family.congrats.Pls,don't turn this nice news to tribal nonsense, remember she doesn't know you and you cant in any way share from the money.

1 Like

Re: Frances Ogamba Wins 2019 Koffi Addo Prize For Creative Nonfiction Awards by dgr8truth(m): 2:35pm On Aug 26, 2019
Re: Frances Ogamba Wins 2019 Koffi Addo Prize For Creative Nonfiction Awards by nwakibie3(m): 2:35pm On Aug 26, 2019
she is from biafra period

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Frances Ogamba Wins 2019 Koffi Addo Prize For Creative Nonfiction Awards by Reggiz(m): 2:39pm On Aug 26, 2019

6 Likes

Re: Frances Ogamba Wins 2019 Koffi Addo Prize For Creative Nonfiction Awards by RTSC2: 2:40pm On Aug 26, 2019
MAGGILICIOUS:
Though we don't know her,but she has done well for herself and her family.congrats.Pls,don't turn this nice news to tribal nonsense, remember she doesn't know you and you cant in any way share from the money.
I went through your post history and found out you are just a cheap bigot.
That is what I do whenever I see people preaching like this.

And they always disappoint.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Frances Ogamba Wins 2019 Koffi Addo Prize For Creative Nonfiction Awards by Built2last: 2:43pm On Aug 26, 2019
Ogamba means the one that travel to places.

For name checkers only

7 Likes

Re: Frances Ogamba Wins 2019 Koffi Addo Prize For Creative Nonfiction Awards by Gentlewarrior1(m): 2:47pm On Aug 26, 2019
Igno kwenu

Nwa O42

6 Likes

Re: Frances Ogamba Wins 2019 Koffi Addo Prize For Creative Nonfiction Awards by Vincdebosque(m): 2:54pm On Aug 26, 2019
Congratulations to this ones, at least they are not damaging Nigeria's reputation. I really celebrate you

2 Likes

Re: Frances Ogamba Wins 2019 Koffi Addo Prize For Creative Nonfiction Awards by DennisEche(m): 2:58pm On Aug 26, 2019
SLAY MAMAS WONT LIKE THIS

1 Like

Re: Frances Ogamba Wins 2019 Koffi Addo Prize For Creative Nonfiction Awards by ICAMETOWIN(m): 3:00pm On Aug 26, 2019
Congrats young lady, this is just the beginning
Re: Frances Ogamba Wins 2019 Koffi Addo Prize For Creative Nonfiction Awards by DonXavi(m): 3:09pm On Aug 26, 2019
I knew it must be Igbo amaka. They are representing in every area of life. Some channel that Igbo talent to wrong areas, but some are still making us proud. Igbo kwenu!!!!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Frances Ogamba Wins 2019 Koffi Addo Prize For Creative Nonfiction Awards by Freecitytech: 4:21pm On Aug 26, 2019
Abi!

I JUST CREATED SOME WHATSAPP GROUPS FOR RELATIONSHIP ADVICE. click the link below to join one of the group

https://okakasite.com/2019/08/26/whatsapp-groups-for-relationship/
Re: Frances Ogamba Wins 2019 Koffi Addo Prize For Creative Nonfiction Awards by jstbeinhonest(m): 4:27pm On Aug 26, 2019
An Ibo? What a suprise. I guess we shouldn't condemn all ibos then.

1 Like

Re: Frances Ogamba Wins 2019 Koffi Addo Prize For Creative Nonfiction Awards by Nobody: 5:12pm On Aug 26, 2019
RTSC2:

I went through your post history and found out you are just a cheap bigot.
That is what I do whenever I see people preaching like this.

And they always disappoint.
You went through what? You get work o,chai.Well, you are entitled to your opinion anyway.Just know that it's not only Igbo or Yoruba that are here.Minorities are here too,of which am one.I just say it as I see it,don't care if you don't like it.Good thing about belonging to neither group is you can say the truth without pandering to any of the two.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Untold True Story Of Nollywood / Tamed / My Life As A Secondary School Student(true Life Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.