Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,983 members, 7,835,293 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:13 AM

Regina Askia Has A Message For Nigerians Working In America. - Celebrities (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Regina Askia Has A Message For Nigerians Working In America. (64972 Views)

Meet Regina Askia's Husband, Son And Daughters / Regina Askia, Stephanie Hornecker & Ooni Of Ife Meet In The U.S (photos) / Regina Askia And Her Daughter, Teesa Williams Stun At A Charity Event (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Regina Askia Has A Message For Nigerians Working In America. by Cousin9999: 7:24pm On Aug 26, 2019
ekitimanalways:

Bro, I am very sad sad. My cousin who lives and works in New Zealand as a medical doctor said to me a few hours ago via whatsApp that his New Zealanders neighbours and colleagues are beginning to avoid him like a plague. He also said the parents of his New Zealander girlfriend are beginning to develop cold feet and he thinks with time they might successfully convince their daughter to dump him. sad

We don't believe you. Try again. lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Regina Askia Has A Message For Nigerians Working In America. by Slimpotter(m): 7:25pm On Aug 26, 2019
ceejay80s:
Instead of u all to put hands and fight ur leaders and government, u are here killing ur selves and they are there laffing at all y'all . do u know how great Britain became great? Cos they fought hard in the past, go read the history of Britain and their government, robin hood is not a fairytale story, Britain was once corrupt and over bad,
USSR comes to mind.....
Ur leaders were not and are not there to lead u all, they are there to milk u all, from APC to PDP, NRC ,sdp, etc, continue to kill ur selves ,while they continue to enrich them selves,
What about USSR comes to mind?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Regina Askia Has A Message For Nigerians Working In America. by salford: 7:29pm On Aug 26, 2019
Iblad0994:
"Corporate America is notoriously unfriendly when it comes to the hardworking black immigrant."

The bolded statement is what I call fallacy of hasty generalization. When will people learn to stop judging the USA by the action of Trump. I have been working here and my colleagues have always value us Africans for our brilliance and passion for work.

Although she is right about the recent fraud issue coz I am really bothered by the news of the FBI 80 which was on the front page of CNN website when it occurred. The implication is that my colleagues will try to view Nigerians from that angle even if they are not willing to say it.

The scammers are hurting us indirectly, but most especially they are hurting people in Nigeria that are trying to migrate here more. The day I almost regretted being a Nigerian is when one Indian colleague told me in the midst of other colleagues that Nigerians are mostly scammers in Atlanta, he said it immediately I told him I'm from Nigeria, although I defended Nigeria and told him we are not a nation of scammer but the stigma still sticks anytime I remember that day.

I hope people change and stop this get rich quick by any means syndrome.
The stigma is all around the world from Malaysia to South Africa, From Dubai to Canada. The scammers are like roaches or infestation that are hard to get rid off.

On the contrary, Indians have built a good stereotype of being IT gurus. An indians who is not good at some STEM field would often get a very good job ahead of a Nigerian because of the positive stereotype they have built overseas.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Regina Askia Has A Message For Nigerians Working In America. by Nobody: 7:34pm On Aug 26, 2019
timesup234:
stop writing lies and rubbish here. Registered Nurses are not rich. Americans dont see them as rich people, only brainwashed Nigerians. They are average individuals
Registered nurses are not rich, Americans dont see them as rich people. you know what? i really wish i can engage you but i will end up making a fool of myself. Pls find out about OB/GYN nurse in the u.s.a what they earn annually. just do a little mathe, A neonatal nurse practitioner earns 65$ an hour, how much is she taking home a year. Admittedly stuffs like this doesnt make you rich in the American grand scheme of things but somebody like you live in a country that pays 60$ as minimum wage a month, in ur own little eye, how do u see somebody that makes this much in just an hour. These things are simple to understand i dont know why you think its difficult.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Regina Askia Has A Message For Nigerians Working In America. by Nobody: 7:36pm On Aug 26, 2019
shogsman:

Do you know Australia pays more.and no you can't make 330k a year as a nurse.
Australia pays more what?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Regina Askia Has A Message For Nigerians Working In America. by salford: 7:36pm On Aug 26, 2019
shogsman:
I don't understand this craze for USA especially among Nigerians, have some self respect y'all.
Its because of the earning power and opportunities.

Wages are much higher in the US than most countries in the world. The American dream still exist. I have lost count of colleagues that got full paid scholarships in the US and went on to work for fortune 500 companies later on. I mean these were mostly guys from poor backgrounds in Nigeria. All they had to do was smash their undergraduate studies. Not many countries in the world gives you such opportunities.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Regina Askia Has A Message For Nigerians Working In America. by Nobody: 7:37pm On Aug 26, 2019
Commentor:

Una don start again.

yea sorry i forgot. we are still doing a lot of debate for minimum age to be up to 30k a month. This one will seem like a carmel passing through the eyes of a needle

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Regina Askia Has A Message For Nigerians Working In America. by Nobody: 7:39pm On Aug 26, 2019
Iblad0994:
"Corporate America is notoriously unfriendly when it comes to the hardworking black immigrant."

The bolded statement is what I call fallacy of hasty generalization. When will people learn to stop judging the USA by the action of Trump. I have been working here and my colleagues have always value us Africans for our brilliance and passion for work.

Although she is right about the recent fraud issue coz I am really bothered by the news of the FBI 80 which was on the front page of CNN website when it occurred. The implication is that my colleagues will try to view Nigerians from that angle even if they are not willing to say it.

The scammers are hurting us indirectly, but most especially they are hurting people in Nigeria that are trying to migrate here more. The day I almost regretted being a Nigerian is when one Indian colleague told me in the midst of other colleagues that Nigerians are mostly scammers in Atlanta, he said it immediately I told him I'm from Nigeria, although I defended Nigeria and told him we are not a nation of scammer but the stigma still sticks anytime I remember that day.

I hope people change and stop this get rich quick by any means syndrome.

Did u say indian Ohhh My God cry cry cry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Regina Askia Has A Message For Nigerians Working In America. by micflo28(m): 7:40pm On Aug 26, 2019
This was my jerk off idol back then now she looks creepy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Regina Askia Has A Message For Nigerians Working In America. by Nobody: 7:43pm On Aug 26, 2019
tumababa:

Did u say indian Ohhh My God cry cry cry

Don't underestimate the Indians bro, they are the major employees in the IT sector in corporate America. Go to IBM, Microsoft, Visa, Intel, The big four consulting firms, Facebook, infact in major IT companies Indians are the most employed.

While some of them are fraudsters also, they usually keep a low profile and they are known most for their IT expertise rather than fraudulent acts. The issue about some Nigerians is that they are too loud even when they know they are spending proceeds from crime, they do not care, they live large life and when they get caught they cast a bad shadow n the legit Nigerians here making ends meet.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Regina Askia Has A Message For Nigerians Working In America. by shogsman(m): 7:46pm On Aug 26, 2019
salford:

Wages are much higher in the US than most countries in the world. The American dream still exist. I have lost count of colleagues that got full paid scholarships in the US and went on to work for fortune 500 companies later on. I mean these were mostly guys from poor backgrounds in Nigeria. All they had to do was smash their undergraduate studies. Not many countries in the world gives you such opportunities.

There are opportunities in Europe as well, it's not ideal to move where you're not wanted just because things are better there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Regina Askia Has A Message For Nigerians Working In America. by shogsman(m): 7:48pm On Aug 26, 2019
DrObiHogan:

Registered nurses are not rich, Americans dont see them as rich people. you know what? i really wish i can engage you but i will end up making a fool of myself. Pls find out about OB/GYN nurse in the u.s.a what they earn annually. just do a little mathe, A neonatal nurse practitioner earns 65$ an hour, how much is she taking home a year. Admittedly stuffs like this doesnt make you rich in the American grand scheme of things but somebody like you live in a country that pays 60$ as minimum wage a month, in ur own little eye, how do u see somebody that makes this much in just an hour. These things are simple to understand i dont know why you think its difficult.

The average American nurse earns around 30-40 bucks per hour bro stop slapping this figures anyhow.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Regina Askia Has A Message For Nigerians Working In America. by Nobody: 7:48pm On Aug 26, 2019
salford:

I will continue to say it, the USA is the most favorable country in the world. I did my masters here and I did not pay a dime, it's all about teaching assistantship and Research assistantship and sometimes grants from the department. I got a well paying job right from school before I even graduated. This is also true for most of my colleagues especially those in the Engineering and IT sector.

American dream is real and I'm grateful to the USA for the opportunities they are giving to people from Africa as a whole to study for graduate degree sometimes almost for free (Although you do RA and TA most times).

Name any country that does that for foreign students in the majority? Not even the almighty Canada.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Regina Askia Has A Message For Nigerians Working In America. by salford: 7:54pm On Aug 26, 2019
shogsman:

There are opportunities in Europe as well, it's not ideal to move where you're not wanted just because things are better there.
You mean companies like GE, Facebook, Intel, AMD, Eaton, the big 4, Google, Apple etc are European companies?
I lived in the UK for 4 years and full paid scholarship were rare and strictly meant for EU nationals. whereas world top universities in the states were harvesting brilliant Nigerian graduates and offering them full schorlaship straight up from bushes in Nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Regina Askia Has A Message For Nigerians Working In America. by ekitimanalways(m): 7:58pm On Aug 26, 2019
Cousin9999:

We don't believe you. Try again. lol
Guy, I don't care if you believe me or not! I am here to make truthful comments and move on. My cousin has been living in the city of Wellington in New Zealand for over 11 years and we regularly communicate...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Regina Askia Has A Message For Nigerians Working In America. by salford: 8:03pm On Aug 26, 2019
Iblad0994:

I will continue to say it, the USA is the most favorable country in the world. I did my masters here and I did not pay a dime, it's all about teaching assistantship and Research assistantship and sometimes grants from the department. I got a well paying job right from school before I even graduated. This is also true for most of my colleagues especially those in the Engineering and IT sector.

American dream is real and I'm grateful to the USA for the opportunities they are giving to people from Africa as a whole to study for graduate degree sometimes almost for free (Although you do RA and TA most times).

Name any country that does that for foreign students in the majority? Not even the almighty Canada.
I witnessed this live. in my year of graduation. Like half of us hustle go UK and other European unis to study. over 90% of us are back in Naija. Whereas, the guys who were a year after us all hustled USA. The guys are all employed by top companies in the US. We that went to Europe paid through the nose to get our masters. The guys in the US were even getting paid for being masters student lol.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Regina Askia Has A Message For Nigerians Working In America. by shogsman(m): 8:04pm On Aug 26, 2019
salford:

You mean companies like GE, Facebook, Intel, AMD, Eaton, the big 4, Google, Apple etc are European companies?
I lived in the UK for 4 years and full paid scholarship were rare and strictly meant for EU nationals. whereas world top universities in the states were harvesting brilliant Nigerian graduates and offering them full schorlaship straight up from bushes in Nigeria.

I've lost count of friends and colleagues that are in places like Canada,Australia, Denmark doing well,I have strong affiliations in the US so it isn't hate,USA is like the capital of the world due to its diversity,but there is a plethora of countries you can go to exploit great opportunities. But to the average Nigerian it seems it is USA or nothing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Regina Askia Has A Message For Nigerians Working In America. by Slimpotter(m): 8:07pm On Aug 26, 2019
Cousin9999:

Lots of countries treat immigrants worse, but no one bothers to report that.
OK we agree, no one bothers to report that, then the US should stop taking themselves as the best and highly placed country in the world with a better respect for human rights.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Regina Askia Has A Message For Nigerians Working In America. by salford: 8:11pm On Aug 26, 2019
shogsman:

I've lost count of friends and colleagues that are in places like Canada,Australia, Denmark doing well,I have strong affiliations in the US so it isn't hate,USA is like the capital of the world due to its diversity,but there is a plethora of countries you can go to exploit great opportunities. But to the average Nigerian it seems it is USA or nothing.
The irony is that some of my friends here in Canada are still trying to find their way to the US. I lost one of them to a company in Silicon Valley about 2months ago. His wages literally doubled by moving from Toronto to California.
Opportunities are everywhere. Some paid thousands of Euro to get a degree in Europe, some thousands of dollars to get same in Aus/Cad. Some paid zilch to get same in the US in ivy league schools.
I guess whatever rocks everyones boat. ones person's meat is another's poison.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Regina Askia Has A Message For Nigerians Working In America. by timesup234: 8:14pm On Aug 26, 2019
shogsman:

The average American nurse earns around 30-40 bucks per hour bro stop slapping this figures anyhow.
Thats why i didnt even bother to reply him again. He thinks he is talking to village people here. It will take a RN 20yrs career before they make $60,000 annually. Nurses are not rich, Nigerians just overhype them. Many are paid below $50,000, and I am talking about whites

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Regina Askia Has A Message For Nigerians Working In America. by shogsman(m): 8:16pm On Aug 26, 2019
salford:

The irony is that some of my friends here in Canada are still trying to find their way to the US. I lost one of them to a company in Silicon Valley about 2months ago. His wages literally doubled by moving from Toronto to California.
Opportunities are everywhere. Some paid thousands of Euro to get a degree in Europe, some thousands of dollars to get same in Aus/Cad. Some paid zilch to get same in the US in ivy league schools.
I guess whatever rocks everyones boat. ones person's meat is another's poison.

Bro if you see the way some Nigerian illegals live over there you'll be astonished, they avoid public places because of ICE,they can't get a drivers licence, no health care,they can't mingle easily cos one phone call can get them deported.in spite of all this they still remain there looking over their shoulders everyday like criminals.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Regina Askia Has A Message For Nigerians Working In America. by shogsman(m): 8:18pm On Aug 26, 2019
timesup234:
Thats why i didnt even bother to reply him again. He thinks he is talking to village people here. It will take a RN 20yrs career before they make $60,000 annually. Nurses are not rich, Nigerians just overhype them. Many are paid below $50,000, and I am talking about whites

You've said it all,that's their average pay annually.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Regina Askia Has A Message For Nigerians Working In America. by salford: 8:20pm On Aug 26, 2019
shogsman:

Bro if you see the way some Nigerian illegals live over there you'll be astonished, they avoid public places because of ICE,they can't get a drivers licence, no health care,they can't mingle easily cos one phone call can get them deported.in spite of all this they still remain there looking over their shoulders everyday like criminals.
It beats my imagination why anyone would want to be an ilegal immigrant in any country. It's an hard life. No national insurance number in advanced countries means no work or healthcare, no healthcare means no access to ordinary anti-biotics that one can get at a chemist back in Nigeria. The person also constantly lives in fear. I will rather stay in Nigeria than become ilegal and suffer.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Regina Askia Has A Message For Nigerians Working In America. by wethebest(m): 8:26pm On Aug 26, 2019
DrObiHogan:

If you are a nurse like this woman and you specialize in OB/GYN you can earn as high as 330kUSD a year. That's the craze. The money

Same money wey fraudsters dey collect in seconds in their bedroom frm Africa? Same money wey buhari daughter who is among board of directors in nnpc fit collect in seconds? No need killing urself to go USA, stay here in naija, u will make it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Regina Askia Has A Message For Nigerians Working In America. by GoodFaith: 8:30pm On Aug 26, 2019
timesup234:
You just lied "It will take a RN 20yrs career before they make $60,000 annually. Nurse"
with a Master in Nursing ' You can start at 75k
Lot of Nigerian have RN two and four degree starting is about 50K

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Regina Askia Has A Message For Nigerians Working In America. by Dino98: 8:32pm On Aug 26, 2019
Hungrychicken:
All because of the Igbos and their love for money, they have painted the whole black race bad. smh.

I swear....they are every where spoiling our name. Go to Ghana, if there is a gang of robbers are caught...3/4 out of 5 are Nigerians(ibo to be precise). Go to SA, they are the major drug dealers. Just out there spoiling our name and making life difficult for the rest of us.

Any criminal act you hear about in any foreign country, an ibo guy is involved.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Regina Askia Has A Message For Nigerians Working In America. by GoodFaith: 8:34pm On Aug 26, 2019
Dino98:

I swear....they are every where spoiling our name. Go to Ghana, if there is a gang of robbers are caught...3/4 out of 5 are Nigerians(ibo to be precise). Go to SA, they are the major drug dealers. Just out there spoiling our name and making life difficult for the rest of us.

Any criminal act you hear about in any foreign country, an ibo guy is involved.
ibo man is a Nigerian
All tribes in Nigeria do lot of foolish thing
I know we see lot of ibo name in drugs case

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Regina Askia Has A Message For Nigerians Working In America. by Nobody: 8:41pm On Aug 26, 2019
salford:

I witnessed this live. in my year of graduation. Like half of us hustle go UK and other European unis to study. over 90% of us are back in Naija. Whereas, the guys who were a year after us all hustled USA. The guys are all employed by top companies in the US. We that went to Europe paid through the nose to get our masters. The guys in the US were even getting paid for being masters student lol.

I'm telling you bro. Sometimes after the school finish paying my tuition, I still get some stipends from the professors and one will but wonder the generosity of the Americans. Even the citizens most times are always taking school loans which they are gonna pay back but we foreign master students always complete graduate school almost free and sometimes with some stipends.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Regina Askia Has A Message For Nigerians Working In America. by ogbonti: 8:47pm On Aug 26, 2019
NaijaCelebrity:
Nollywood Veteran, Regina Askia has a message for Nigerians working in America.

Her post comes amid news of arrest of several Nigerians in the US who have been indicted in cyber fraud and money laundering schemes.

She also reveals she's writing a book on her observations on the treatment of black immigrants in America.

Source: https://gidifeed.com/regina-askia-has-a-message-for-nigerians-working-in-america/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1oBZaPBYXc/?hl=en

Aunty Regina - it have do like that bikonu grin - we know you are a New York Nigerian - American who leans to the democrat party and like your fellow Nollywood ex -actress Georgina Onuoha, you guys dislike Trump - but please leave the "Orange Emperor" out of this. He did not send your compatriots to engage in scam. You are just looking for a way to insult Trump which makes no sense. Yes, he called us a shit hole nation - BUT, IS NIGERIA NOT REALLY A SHIT HOLE COUNTRY? If you say it is a lie, why did you hussle to marry an average American (whose socio-economic equivalent of a Nigerian man is someone you wont even respond to if he greets you) grin ? Yes, so you can escape the shit hole!

Despite your high social status in Nigeria in the 1990's - You opted for an African American; a nobody whose only asset was corn rolled hair claiming to be some engineer somewhere ----yes I remember you so well, you were a TV screen goddess and beauty Queen - ( Miss Nigeria) you could get rich handsome young Nigerian man for a husband and anything or favor you want in Nigeria from anyone who were the movers and shakers in Nigeria then. But, you had your plans all layed out, you were not going to be part of the Nigerian thing - your eyes were set on America and you focused on how to escape and narrowed your search to someone who will take you there and make you stay there!

Now I am not blaming you for choosing your path, we all have a decision to make in life, you were smart to forsee that Nigeria wont improve and you took your chances, but don't come here to say Trump is our problem for telling us the truth we have failed to tell ourselves for 59 wasted years of independence. Nigerians everyday on nairaland bash each other. Yorubas call Igbo names, Igbos do same - worse adjectives that dwarfs whatever Trump could ever call us. So, stop all this democrat party talking point. Many Nigerians are republicans, just like myself and we ain't voting for the Democrat party, take your bs elsehwere, BYE!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Regina Askia Has A Message For Nigerians Working In America. by greggng: 9:00pm On Aug 26, 2019
Hungrychicken:
All because of the Igbos and their love for money, they have painted the whole black race bad. smh.

You are an idiot with little mind. Crime has no ethnicity ...just yesterday Saudi Arabia announced 23 head that will be going off soon cos they carried drug...all are your afonjas ...it justify that crime has no ethnicity...we have to join hand and condemn any criminal act instead of giving it ethnic coloration ...the international community doesnot know the meaning of Igbo or afonjas. ...what they know is Nigeria ....grow up ethnic bigot....same goes for everyone clicking like for you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Regina Askia Has A Message For Nigerians Working In America. by Myself2(m): 9:02pm On Aug 26, 2019
Toscarel:
One actress i admire, she saw how fake and promiscuous our typical actresses are and dropped it for a decent livelihood
Kudos

Exactly

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Rich Oganiru Is Dead! Nollywood Actor Dies (Photos) / Police Order Portable To Report Himself Over Jungle Justice (Video) / Oritsefemi Moves Into New Lekki Home (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.