Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,335 members, 7,819,171 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:15 PM

Transport University, Daura Katsina: Expert's Opinion - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Transport University, Daura Katsina: Expert's Opinion (19718 Views)

Transport University, Daura To Take Off In September 2022 / The Library Emeka Offor Is Building In Daura Is 98% Completed (Photos) / Government Day Secondary School Daura Photos By Abiodun @felewire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Transport University, Daura Katsina: Expert's Opinion by AutoReportNG: 3:10pm On Aug 26, 2019
Last week, the minister of transportation, Rt Hon. Rotimi Ameachi hinted that the university of transportation will take off in Duara, Kastina State comes September 2019. Ever since the news broke, many stakeholders, gurus in the transport business has been reacting to this.

Among the gurus in the field is the MD/CEO of Lagos Bus Services Limited, Mr. Seyi Osiyemi who is a Public Transport/Urban Mobility Expert. According to the post on his LinkedIn page, he wrote...

So it appears that the FG is really serious about the establishment of a new ‘Transport University’ in Nigeria. The first time I heard about this initiative, I dismissed it as a joke taken too far.

But what’s the purpose of a transport university, when we have hundreds of federal owned tertiary institutions that are struggling to keep their classrooms open due to poor funding?

To the best of my understanding, it seems that the transport university was part of the deal with the Chinese for the rehabilitation of the Lagos-Kano Rail line, as a mechanism for knowledge transfer.

Whilst it’s important that we need to develop local skills and competence to manage our railway infrastructure, which is key to our economic development, however, this can be achieved without creating a ‘transport university’.

Aside from the existing federal universities of technology that offer transport courses, that can be improved, we also have the National Institute of Transport Technology in Zaria.

It’s ironic that the NITT, which was established in 1986, was actually conceived as a ‘Railway Training Institute’. So why can’t the NITT be upgraded to a full university status?

I’m really struggling to see the rational behind the initiative.

Another reader name Akinyele Makinwa [/b]wrote...

Same question I asked my very self when I read it this morning. I struggle with so many WHY within me. I just drop the thought since I have no answer to this. I want to say the fund to establish the University of Transportation in Daura would have been channel into Ajaokuta Steel Company or construction of good roads in Nigeria. More than 50 Universities are offering Courses related to Transportation both at 1st degree and postgraduate level. My Opinion anyway.

Also, [b] Adedeji Aremu Ph.D
. has this to say...

By definition, a University is an assembly of academics and students for the proliferation of knowledge in society. A university is never the acquisition of depreciating assets. It is not wise to establish another university on this matter. Why not offer scholarships to students to study transport related courses and also initiate research projects that address the transport needs of the country. Starting a transport University despite the many universities in Nigeria doing transport course.

Prof. Ndubuisi Ekekwe has this to say...

Nigeria to start Transport University, Daura this September, according to the Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi. How I wish they would stop this escalating bureaucracy and put that money in the departments of Transport Management in FUT Minna, FUT Yola (MAUT), FUT Bauchi (ATBU), FUTO, and FUTA. These five universities have solid transportation management programs that can be expanded. A new university means new VC, bursar, etc and just colossal inefficiency.

What's your take on this?

Source:
https://www.autoreportng.com/2019/08/read-experts-opinion-on-propose.html

11 Likes

Re: Transport University, Daura Katsina: Expert's Opinion by AutoReportNG: 3:11pm On Aug 26, 2019
Whats your take on the new unversity?

Read more here

https://www.autoreportng.com/2019/08/read-experts-opinion-on-propose.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Transport University, Daura Katsina: Expert's Opinion by myfan: 3:21pm On Aug 26, 2019
Let's see how it goes

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Transport University, Daura Katsina: Expert's Opinion by tillaman(m): 3:57pm On Aug 26, 2019
We are patiently waiting

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Transport University, Daura Katsina: Expert's Opinion by realstars: 4:56pm On Aug 26, 2019
University of what?
You don't mean it. This is forward never.

I think it is high time we have AUTOMOBILE UNIVERSITY and assemble centers.Not Daura university.

The technocrats are dyeing in silence.
The politicians are dragging national loots to their territory, for self keep.
Oh what a rush.h h

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Transport University, Daura Katsina: Expert's Opinion by rentAcock(m): 4:57pm On Aug 26, 2019
Slowly but surely, we will get there.

Come and play the Nairaland Quiz today at 5pm and win N5,000
https://www.nairaland.com/5381674/naija-quiz-show-win-n5000

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Transport University, Daura Katsina: Expert's Opinion by madenigga(m): 4:57pm On Aug 26, 2019
to me siting that universiity in daura was totally unnecessary since its the first of its kind.

Reason being that since the students are going to be learning about our rail way system, why site the university that will help them learn about it in an environment where there's yet to be railways, why not site it in a place with a working and functional rail way, so they can have firsthand experience, so that going on IT wont be difficult. And it would be more of practical than just theory. Example Abuja

That apart Katsinas weather condition is harsh, i know people that just because of the dryness and heat during the day, they find it difficult to come outside without an umbrella, even when they do they start bleeding from there nose, NYSC corporate to be precise they had to redeploy.

Also instead of starting a university whereby students from all over the country must go to Katsina and Katsina alone to learn about this, why dont they use that money to eatables in every geopolitical zone in one federal university a new faculty that teaches all u need to know about it.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Transport University, Daura Katsina: Expert's Opinion by Mzee1Kahuna(m): 4:58pm On Aug 26, 2019
grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Transport University, Daura Katsina: Expert's Opinion by Chine12(m): 4:58pm On Aug 26, 2019
Why establishing a new University Just share the Money to the already existing University, so that they can use it to build a department for them..

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Transport University, Daura Katsina: Expert's Opinion by chinavs9ja(m): 4:58pm On Aug 26, 2019
Federal Govt. should focus on the issue on ground! They just waste money on something that is not yet important and the important ones are decaying..

I will design your website today...check my signature

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Transport University, Daura Katsina: Expert's Opinion by Buyitnaija: 4:59pm On Aug 26, 2019
A kind hearted person should help me with Glo airtime.. God bless you..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Transport University, Daura Katsina: Expert's Opinion by olaolulazio(m): 4:59pm On Aug 26, 2019
Courses like agberology, conductor depart and driver courses will look like medicine in that school. grin grin grin grin

They will hold Bs.Danfo.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Transport University, Daura Katsina: Expert's Opinion by Nathansam: 4:59pm On Aug 26, 2019
Hilarious tho

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Transport University, Daura Katsina: Expert's Opinion by Kericoo(m): 4:59pm On Aug 26, 2019
NEXT PLS

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Transport University, Daura Katsina: Expert's Opinion by Four4Clien(m): 4:59pm On Aug 26, 2019
okay oooo, make everything just better for this Naija

Promo, get your responsive website/blog for 9k only, whatzapp - 070-630-841-71

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Transport University, Daura Katsina: Expert's Opinion by princedmiayer(m): 5:00pm On Aug 26, 2019
WaDume.....

Am not understanding Ni ju ria again o...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Transport University, Daura Katsina: Expert's Opinion by ValCon888: 5:00pm On Aug 26, 2019
It is a joke that Nigeria will decide to site Transport University in a location where the people are notorious for not going to school, and who will rather transport their cattle on foot rather than other means of transportation.
This is akin to giving a pig a diamond ring. It cannot know what to do with it.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Transport University, Daura Katsina: Expert's Opinion by Mrjerry001: 5:00pm On Aug 26, 2019
hmmm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Transport University, Daura Katsina: Expert's Opinion by Nobody: 5:01pm On Aug 26, 2019
In my own opinion this is quite unnecessary... The FG comes up with something and then looks for flimsy reasons to rationalise it...
I guess very soon... We will also start hearing "University of Cattle Rearing" as well....
cry cry

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Transport University, Daura Katsina: Expert's Opinion by JimohMomoh: 5:01pm On Aug 26, 2019
Most of the things APC criticized PDP of doing they are also repeating it, recurrent expenditure has already taken over the budget and we are already in deficit but FG is still creating institutions that will increase recurrent expenditure. The Maritime University in NigerDelta is in a mess because of lack of funds. It's all politics, when Buhari leaves power tomorrow the new President will abandon the transport university and think of how to create one in his own community and the cycle of waste continues. Some governors are also following these path.
When these institutions produce graduates where will they work. More yahooboys will fill the streets and the girls into instagram oloshoism.
The presidency should declare emergency on power and give itself realistic targets.
SMEs and Startups need stable electricity to survive. They are the biggest employer of labour.
Higher institutions are already littered everywhere in Nigeria all they need is adequate funding and proper administration not building new ones.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Transport University, Daura Katsina: Expert's Opinion by Afroreporter: 5:01pm On Aug 26, 2019
No reasonable comments above me because it's not a BBnaija related gist

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Transport University, Daura Katsina: Expert's Opinion by Dottore: 5:02pm On Aug 26, 2019
Ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Transport University, Daura Katsina: Expert's Opinion by StrikeBack(m): 5:03pm On Aug 26, 2019
Waiting for Power university

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Transport University, Daura Katsina: Expert's Opinion by Lamasta(m): 5:04pm On Aug 26, 2019
First Maritime University now Transport University grin

Very soon we will hear Energy University grin

The guy above me have something to say

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Transport University, Daura Katsina: Expert's Opinion by storageboy: 5:05pm On Aug 26, 2019
k

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

LASU Students Call Out Other Corrupt Lecturers Following Sack Of ASUU Chairman / Uganda Varsity Requests For Nigerian Lecturers / Dowen Parents Forum Holds Candlelight Procession For Sylvester Oromoni (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.