Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,781 members, 7,820,733 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:27 PM

Water Scarcity Hits OAU, Students Fetch From Stream - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Water Scarcity Hits OAU, Students Fetch From Stream (19779 Views)

OAU students trapped following a downpour, today, in Ile Ife, Osun State (Photos / OAU Students Jump On Trailers (Photos) / Bed Bugs Invade OAU Students' Mattresses In Hostel (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Water Scarcity Hits OAU, Students Fetch From Stream by Amotolongbo(f): 8:04am On Apr 21, 2021
Students of the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State, on Tuesday, called on the management of the institution to find solutions to the stoppage of water supply to hostels on the campus.

The students claimed that water supply to their various halls of residence was cut off on Friday.

According to them, the development has exposed them to untold hardship and they have resorted to fetching water from a stream near their hostels.

Some of the students were seeing with buckets fetching water from a stream.

A resident of the ETF Hall, who gave his name simply as Olayinka, said some buoyant students had been buying sachet water to cook and bathe, while the rest were fetching water from the stream.

He stated, “But for some of us that cannot afford sachet water for such purposes, we have been going to the stream near our hostel to get water.

“Water stopped running in our hostels last weekend. Few students, who are doing practical, are around because of COVID-19 protocols and it has been difficult getting water, because the stream is also drying off.”

The Public Relations Officer, OAU, Abiodun Olanrewaju, said the situation was being addressed by the management.

Olanrewaju explained that the university exhausted the chemical for the treatment of water and could not get replacement immediately.

He added, “We wanted to buy what we normally use to treat water, but for quite some time now, that thing had been scarce. We exhausted the one we had in our store. We have eventually found the substance and the university has bought all we can find.

“I can assure the students that from tomorrow (Wednesday), regular water supply will resume. We made arrangements for tankers to supply water to the students. We are also calling on public spirited individuals to assist us as the Federal Government cannot do it all alone.”

https://punchng.com/water-scarcity-hits-oau-students-fetch-from-stream/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&amp&utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&__twitter_impression=true

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Water Scarcity Hits OAU, Students Fetch From Stream by PlayMaker14: 8:16am On Apr 21, 2021
I remember how my friend who's running a Masters Degree program laughed at me when I visited Enugu and told her that I couldn't get water... She said I should put a Jerry-can on my head and trek to Osogbo if I want to bath.

Now, it's my turn to laugh at Rhoda.... grin

83 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Water Scarcity Hits OAU, Students Fetch From Stream by Amotolongbo(f): 8:17am On Apr 21, 2021
Mynd44 lalasticlala Dominique

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Water Scarcity Hits OAU, Students Fetch From Stream by Tolexander: 8:23am On Apr 21, 2021
Olanrewaju explained that the university exhausted the chemical for the treatment of water and could not get replacement immediately.

He added, “We wanted to buy what we normally use to treat water, but for quite some time now, that thing had been scarce. We exhausted the one we had in our store. We have eventually found the substance and the university has bought all we can find.
Are they also experiencing this water scarcity in the staff quarters?

I once experienced this situation when we had to start fetching water from the stream behind Angola hall

6 Likes

Re: Water Scarcity Hits OAU, Students Fetch From Stream by ChiefSosa(m): 8:24am On Apr 21, 2021
All Universities in Nigeria seem to have this problem. APC have broken yet another promise they made, they promised to dig at least 65 wells in all universities across the country, I was there and even saw osinbade touching the ground with his index finger and placing it on his tongue, swearing with Sango. Buhari should personally go and dig a well in that school, his doctors have confirmed him to be okay, so he doesn't have excuse. Maybe Unknown gunmen stole the water.
Lai Mohammed: "there's water scarcity because some Nigerians have not linked their NIN, the FG have been digging several wells but only those with NIN can see the wells. The past administration and Endsars protesters drank a lot of water, thereby leading to water scarcity. When our refinery is done, we will be refining and exporting water.

Presidency: "Buhari expresses shock, commiserates with the students. Vows to deal with students wasting water. Tasks officials on what to do next"

52 Likes 1 Share

Re: Water Scarcity Hits OAU, Students Fetch From Stream by Ekejoestar(m): 8:29am On Apr 21, 2021
The citadel of learning has been struck with water scarcity...
Don't mind this fvcking bascard above , na werey dey worry am

Wetin concern Bubu with OAU water scarcity? Has He finished attending to his cows or get Panterrorist sacked, or stop his nepotism

1 Like

Re: Water Scarcity Hits OAU, Students Fetch From Stream by DoctorDree(m): 8:31am On Apr 21, 2021
Typical of Nigeria federal universities.,they lack maintenance and they pay less attention to the needs of there students,to make matter worst,they might have a student union president who is only after his or her pocket and not serving his fellow students.......

22 Likes

Re: Water Scarcity Hits OAU, Students Fetch From Stream by owobokiri(m): 8:31am On Apr 21, 2021
Take it from me; Nigeria is finished!
Totally gone!!
This is while the Chinese for instance are building five hostels for their kids in the universities!!!
This country is totally dead, na we refuse to bury am..

1 Like

Re: Water Scarcity Hits OAU, Students Fetch From Stream by WalkerMichael(m): 8:31am On Apr 21, 2021
schooling in Nigeria is pure scam

3 Likes

Re: Water Scarcity Hits OAU, Students Fetch From Stream by Lordave: 8:31am On Apr 21, 2021
I can remember some animals from certain region of the country making mockery of Enugu residents when water scarcity hit the city few weeks ago.

What do these people have to say now, well I don’t expect to hear anything sensible from them cos animals cannot talk.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Water Scarcity Hits OAU, Students Fetch From Stream by crossfm: 8:31am On Apr 21, 2021
Nigeria.

We are really in big wahala.
Re: Water Scarcity Hits OAU, Students Fetch From Stream by pointstores(m): 8:31am On Apr 21, 2021
Nawa
Re: Water Scarcity Hits OAU, Students Fetch From Stream by Ppogbae: 8:31am On Apr 21, 2021
I don't believe this cause that is disgusting

1 Like

Re: Water Scarcity Hits OAU, Students Fetch From Stream by AmazingELixir: 8:32am On Apr 21, 2021
undecided undecided undecided

"A resident of the ETF Hall, who gave his name simply as Olayinka, said some buoyant students had been buying sachet water to cook and bathe, while the rest were fetching water from the stream.

He stated, “But for some of us that cannot afford sachet water for such purposes, we have been going to the stream near our hostel to get water."

They can't afford sachet water....how do these ones even feed.

7 Likes

Re: Water Scarcity Hits OAU, Students Fetch From Stream by Nobody: 8:32am On Apr 21, 2021
I can relate to their predicament..... Fetching water have been very stressful for me over here at Ekiti too. I literally have to wake up as early as 4:30am to get clean water from the well. The sudden climate change to hotness nowadays is terrible

7 Likes

Re: Water Scarcity Hits OAU, Students Fetch From Stream by deepwater(f): 8:32am On Apr 21, 2021
lol

is it the 500g chlorine that is been poured into the OPA dam treatment plant every one hour that is now scarce?

2 Likes

Re: Water Scarcity Hits OAU, Students Fetch From Stream by cardoctor(m): 8:32am On Apr 21, 2021
Studying in Nigeria is like visiting hell.

3 Likes

Re: Water Scarcity Hits OAU, Students Fetch From Stream by fitinwell: 8:32am On Apr 21, 2021
Fetching water from stream is part of education

1 Like

Re: Water Scarcity Hits OAU, Students Fetch From Stream by ictjobber: 8:32am On Apr 21, 2021
Who curse is biko

1 Like

Re: Water Scarcity Hits OAU, Students Fetch From Stream by tiswell(m): 8:32am On Apr 21, 2021
stream is bad

1 Like

Re: Water Scarcity Hits OAU, Students Fetch From Stream by opsyswagger(m): 8:32am On Apr 21, 2021
Na wa ooo which kind wahala be this

1 Like

Re: Water Scarcity Hits OAU, Students Fetch From Stream by Mayour11(m): 8:33am On Apr 21, 2021
See what some of the students were seeing from their tap yesterday.

3 Likes

Re: Water Scarcity Hits OAU, Students Fetch From Stream by Matheusmartin: 8:33am On Apr 21, 2021
.... The one those of us in uniben suffered during orumwense tenure is still fresh in my mind.

Orumwense, na ogun go kee u Las Las..
Re: Water Scarcity Hits OAU, Students Fetch From Stream by CivilzedTyger(m): 8:33am On Apr 21, 2021
Naso we dey see am even for North here. Since we return from corona/ASUU na die, no water no light

2 Likes

Re: Water Scarcity Hits OAU, Students Fetch From Stream by capitalzero: 8:33am On Apr 21, 2021

2 Likes

Re: Water Scarcity Hits OAU, Students Fetch From Stream by opsyswagger(m): 8:34am On Apr 21, 2021
PlayMaker14:
I remember how my friend who's running a Masters Degree program laughed at me when I visited Enugu and told her that I couldn't get water... She said I should put a Jerry-can on my head and trek to Osogbo if I want to bath.

Now, it's my turn to laugh at Rhoda.... grin

After his master to get job ma wahala oo i hope you have tell him

2 Likes

Re: Water Scarcity Hits OAU, Students Fetch From Stream by Missyajoke(f): 8:35am On Apr 21, 2021
Gyu
Re: Water Scarcity Hits OAU, Students Fetch From Stream by Matheusmartin: 8:35am On Apr 21, 2021
opsyswagger:

After his master to get job ma wahala oo i hope you have tell him
Did the friend tell you she went for MSc for the purpose to getting job

1 Like

Re: Water Scarcity Hits OAU, Students Fetch From Stream by opsyswagger(m): 8:35am On Apr 21, 2021
Mayour11:
See what some of the students were seeing from their tap yesterday.
Stop lieing

9 Likes

Re: Water Scarcity Hits OAU, Students Fetch From Stream by GreaterFuture3: 8:37am On Apr 21, 2021
Smh

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"Next tomorrow" Vs "Day after tomorrow" / Admission Into Ukraine Universities 2017/2018. 100% Visa Guarantee. / Brain Teasers Required To Increase Your IQ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.