Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,866 members, 7,817,562 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:26 PM

Police Presents No Evidence, A Year After Arresting 57 Men For Homosexuality - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Police Presents No Evidence, A Year After Arresting 57 Men For Homosexuality (14279 Views)

Corper Chidinma Oduma Acquitted A Year After She Murdered Her 'Rapist Boyfriend' / 2 Gay Boys Tied, Beaten & Flogged On The Street Of Okija For Homosexuality / Abia Police Recover Stolen Kids After Arresting Suspected Traffickers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Police Presents No Evidence, A Year After Arresting 57 Men For Homosexuality by sapientia(m): 1:33pm On Aug 27, 2019
Not all are guilty.

I find it hard believing our police.
Re: Police Presents No Evidence, A Year After Arresting 57 Men For Homosexuality by BrainSanitizer: 1:34pm On Aug 27, 2019
How do you explain a birthday party with 57 guys and no babe?
Even Falana knows they are guilty as charged. The only evidence to prove that they are gay as charged is to show a video of them 4king each other's assholess and that is the most difficult evidence to get.
At last, they're going to set them free.

1 Like

Re: Police Presents No Evidence, A Year After Arresting 57 Men For Homosexuality by BrainSanitizer: 1:42pm On Aug 27, 2019
sapientia:
Not all are guilty.

I find it hard believing our police.

Yeah.
The Nigerian police have been wack in their operations. It doesn't mean they can't do a good job sometimes.
You know what I find more difficult to justify?
How can 57 guys be grooving a birthday party without a single girl?!
Re: Police Presents No Evidence, A Year After Arresting 57 Men For Homosexuality by studentofTruth: 1:51pm On Aug 27, 2019
BrainSanitizer:
Even Falana knows they are guilty as charged. The only evidence to prove that they are gay as charged is to show a video of them 4king each other's assholess and that is the most difficult evidence to get.

Like seriously? Some secondary schools are all boys. So if the boys gather for a reunion or birthday of one of them, it becomes a crime that there's no babe. If no babe is a criteria for crime, start by raiding all the same gender schools in the country.

The mentality of many Nigerians is incomprehensible.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Presents No Evidence, A Year After Arresting 57 Men For Homosexuality by Nostradamus: 1:52pm On Aug 27, 2019
welstrin:
Lol only in Naija. Every arrested person is guilty until proven innocent. By the way, why did they not arrest Bobrisky, in his case there is no need to present evidence. I guess his gay patrons are power politicians.
i know bobrisky is a cross-dresser,but is he also ghay?

I often say that the Nigerian police force is a disgrace to the term 'police'
I blame our reckless government who decided to recruit illiterates and touts and armed them with assault rifles.

After this poo is over,those 57 boys should collectively sue the police.every useless officer involved in their arrest should be made to pay a heavy sum of money.
Re: Police Presents No Evidence, A Year After Arresting 57 Men For Homosexuality by stanley000: 1:57pm On Aug 27, 2019
olaolulazio:
They only get evidence for yahoo boys cus they use iPhone and lappy grin

Awon werey!
you didn't add sim cards too, and chargers, then earpiece, then lastly powerbanks grin
Re: Police Presents No Evidence, A Year After Arresting 57 Men For Homosexuality by welstrin: 2:06pm On Aug 27, 2019
Nostradamus:
i know bobrisky is a cross-dresser,but is he also ghay?

I often say that the Nigerian police force is a disgrace to the term 'police'
I blame our reckless government who decided to recruit illiterates and touts and armed them with assault rifles.

After this poo is over,those 57 boys should collectively sue the police.every useless officer involved in their arrest should be made to pay a heavy sum of money.

The idiot is beyond gay.

https://www.nairaland.com/5187141/already-cut-off-manhood-bobrisky
Re: Police Presents No Evidence, A Year After Arresting 57 Men For Homosexuality by Nostradamus: 2:07pm On Aug 27, 2019
studentofTruth:

i tire bro.imagine some of them saying bobrisky(a known cross-dresser with several female nollywood stars as friends.he might even be having sex with those stars)should be arrested. Some of them believes that a man that has tattoos is evil and should be incarcerated.this just shows how myopic a lot of Nigerians are.

1 Like

Re: Police Presents No Evidence, A Year After Arresting 57 Men For Homosexuality by Nostradamus: 2:13pm On Aug 27, 2019
welstrin:

The idiot is beyond gay.

https://www.nairaland.com/5187141/already-cut-off-manhood-bobrisky
it didn't occur to you that dude might be seeking attention badly?
Re: Police Presents No Evidence, A Year After Arresting 57 Men For Homosexuality by BrainSanitizer: 2:14pm On Aug 27, 2019
studentofTruth:

Like seriously? Some secondary schools are all boys. So if the boys gather for a reunion or birthday of one of them, it becomes a crime that there's no babe. If no babe is a criteria for crime, start by raiding all the same gender schools in the country.

My oh my!
I never knew people with this kind of wisdom still exist in these modern times.
You completely nailed it bro!
How could I have missed the fact that a birthday party is similar to an all boys boarding school!
Poor me.
How could I not even know that boys (57 of them!) who attended an all boys school should keep their girlfriends away when one of them is having a birthday party.
I twale for you!!

1 Like

Re: Police Presents No Evidence, A Year After Arresting 57 Men For Homosexuality by pesty100(m): 2:33pm On Aug 27, 2019
BrainSanitizer:

My oh my!
How could I have missed the fact that a birthday party is similar to an all boys boarding school!
Poor me.
How could I not even know that boys (57 of them!) who attended an all boys school should keep their girlfriends away when one of them is having a birthday party.
I twale for you!!
You are still saying since no gals are present they were definitely pounding each other in the arz which is purely circumstantial, they could be doing that or probably pounding yam
Re: Police Presents No Evidence, A Year After Arresting 57 Men For Homosexuality by OBIPLUS(m): 2:53pm On Aug 27, 2019
If they are in any way involved in this kind of act ,they should desist.
Re: Police Presents No Evidence, A Year After Arresting 57 Men For Homosexuality by Nobody: 2:57pm On Aug 27, 2019
Sheriman:
In all every police stations in NIGERIA you can never find a high system control room. No internet facilities.. no systems to keep and store case files for future usage.. no relentless valid investigation, no forensic report on any crime no Constant Electric power.. Unhygienic restroom and Dirty unpleasant Cell cobwebs and wall gecko everywhere.. This NIGERIA has been Curse by the gods...
U are right.
Even edet house.
Re: Police Presents No Evidence, A Year After Arresting 57 Men For Homosexuality by Phatkings: 2:59pm On Aug 27, 2019
destiny322:
They should be punished like that... We don't need evidence for that type of matter... How can your name be associated with that sort of crime?

As I like nyash like this, person go come accuse me say I be homo The person mad? My street people self go protest.
Ur madness knows no limit
Re: Police Presents No Evidence, A Year After Arresting 57 Men For Homosexuality by studentofTruth: 2:59pm On Aug 27, 2019
BrainSanitizer:

My oh my!
Poor me.
I twale for you!!

If you don't know something, ask those who do. I have attended many secondary school reunions where there's no lady present. We gist, crack jokes, laugh, eat and drink, and then, dismiss. Bringing a gf to such gatherings seems very odd. (she will even feel odd since most of the gist and yabs are based on old times and stuff).

It's amazing how some of you see things.

2 Likes

Re: Police Presents No Evidence, A Year After Arresting 57 Men For Homosexuality by Phatkings: 3:01pm On Aug 27, 2019
BrainSanitizer:

Yeah.
The Nigerian police have been wack in their operations. It doesn't mean they can't do a good job sometimes.
But girls can organize a party without a boy abi use ur head
Re: Police Presents No Evidence, A Year After Arresting 57 Men For Homosexuality by Phatkings: 3:03pm On Aug 27, 2019
BrainSanitizer:

Aren't you useless so I can't decide to have an all male party person wey use ur brain is six feet below
Re: Police Presents No Evidence, A Year After Arresting 57 Men For Homosexuality by sanpipita(m): 3:18pm On Aug 27, 2019
BrainSanitizer:

I pity folks like you, your type usually learn the hard way, if there's no evidence allow them go, a gathering of all boys doesn't pre empt anything, maybe you don't know if police can jail people for homosexuality without evidence, they will extend it to everyone I mean raid any group of boys they can see but ppl like you are so short sighted to see an impending danger.
Re: Police Presents No Evidence, A Year After Arresting 57 Men For Homosexuality by Cantonese: 4:02pm On Aug 27, 2019
May I just ask what kind of evidence the police is looking for? Naked men? Or men in action? Which one?
Re: Police Presents No Evidence, A Year After Arresting 57 Men For Homosexuality by SOFTENGR: 4:04pm On Aug 27, 2019
olaolulazio:
They only get evidence for yahoo boys cus they use iPhone and lappy grin

Awon werey!
If you drive Benz as a young man, those wicked men in uniform will automatically tag you yahoo boy.
Awon animals
Re: Police Presents No Evidence, A Year After Arresting 57 Men For Homosexuality by sapientia(m): 4:28pm On Aug 27, 2019
BrainSanitizer:

Yeah.

1000 men can have a party without a single girl, vice versa.

Its not a crime in any country.
Re: Police Presents No Evidence, A Year After Arresting 57 Men For Homosexuality by friendlyadvice: 4:41pm On Aug 27, 2019
the irony na say na for prison dem go even turn gay
Re: Police Presents No Evidence, A Year After Arresting 57 Men For Homosexuality by Neonkeon(m): 5:29pm On Aug 27, 2019
open all their nyash use cucumber and check...#jokes I'm straight oooh
Re: Police Presents No Evidence, A Year After Arresting 57 Men For Homosexuality by Just2endowed2(m): 5:47pm On Aug 27, 2019
Omo all the boys can suceefully seek asylum in Canada or Australia ad be free from this shit hole.

Just one international ngo is enough to display their plight
Re: Police Presents No Evidence, A Year After Arresting 57 Men For Homosexuality by chidiogo123(f): 5:49pm On Aug 27, 2019
Arresting innocent people for one whole year! shocked

Check my signature for USA used laptops at affordable prices.
Re: Police Presents No Evidence, A Year After Arresting 57 Men For Homosexuality by Onliie(m): 9:04pm On Aug 27, 2019
24hourNigeriane:
The Nigerian police have been accused of having cold feet in prosecuting the 57 men they arrested in Egbeda area of Lagos, over an alleged homosexuality.

Oludare Falana, the lawyer representing the men accused of engaging in homsexuality alleged that the case is yet to proceed because the police is yet to file their proof of evidence before the court.

“If you’re going to charge people to court, you must give us the proof of evidence,” Mr Falana said at press conference on Monday August 26.

“The proof of evidence is everything you were able to gather together during your investigation which informed your decision to charge them to court.

“From my understanding and my interaction with some of these boys, they were in a party, so how do you prove to the whole world that they were engaged in same-sex? We have 57 boys, who is having sex with the other? How were they doing it?

“It’s been exactly one year that these boys have been arrested and detained, and I can tell you, as at the last time we were in court, not a single charge has been preferred against them.

“I was in court personally myself on the last adjourned date and I tried to move the magistrate to strike out the case because as far as I’m concerned, there is no case before the court because there is no charge. But in her wisdom, she said no, that she is going to adjourn.

“Counsel to the police mentioned that they are trying to put heads together and charge them before a federal high court, that it was a federal offence.”

Admitting that he is aware of Nigeria's anti-gay law which criminalises same-sex relationships and also has a conviction of up to 14 years in prison, Falana maintained that it is subservient to the Nigerian Constitution. Premium Times reported that he also lashed out at the Police for parading the young men before the media and then stalling their trial in court.

“The question here is this, if the Constitution has guaranteed their freedom of association, freedom to assemble together, that fundamentally-guaranteed freedom cannot be taken away at the whims and caprice of anybody including the state.

“Anybody can gather, that is what the Constitution says, the Constitution never mentioned that boys must not stay together or girls must not assemble" he said.

“These boys have been shown to the whole world as homosexuals, as criminals. At the end of the day, if the state cannot prefer a charge against them in one year, it tells a lot about whatever is wrong with their investigation.

“Secondly, how are you going to make up for this stigmatisation? Are you going to take them back on air and say we are sorry these boys are not whom we thought they are? How do you ameliorate their pains in terms of re-creating the wrong impression you have given the whole world?” he added.

Also lamenting over the demonization of the young men by friends and family after being arrested over homosexuality by the Police, Xeenarh Mohammed, the executive director of The Initiative for Equal Rights stated that the men have not had the chance to clear their names thereafter.

“The reason we are here today is because of the miscarriage of justice that has been done here in Lagos State both by the police and the entire legal system,” said Ms Mohammed.

“Today is exactly a year since the people at a birthday party were arrested, detained for days, maltreated and they’ve still not seen justice. They’ve been branded as criminals, displayed to the rest of the world and they have not had a chance to clear their names.”

Reported that upon being arrested on August 26, 2018, Lagos state's former commissioner of police Imohimi Edgal accused the "suspects" of performing gay initiation rites for newly recruited members. However when arraigned before a Yaba chief magistrate court on three counts of conspiracy, belonging to a secret cult, and unlawful gathering the men claimed they were attending a birthday party.

https://bigbuzzpanda.com/police-presents-no-evidence-a-year-after-arresting-57-men-for-homosexuality-in-lagos/

that magistrate is the kind of people that give us problem in this nation
Re: Police Presents No Evidence, A Year After Arresting 57 Men For Homosexuality by losky83: 12:13am On Aug 28, 2019
24hourNigeriane:
The Nigerian police have been accused of having cold feet in prosecuting the 57 men they arrested in Egbeda area of Lagos, over an alleged homosexuality.

Oludare Falana, the lawyer representing the men accused of engaging in homsexuality alleged that the case is yet to proceed because the police is yet to file their proof of evidence before the court.

“If you’re going to charge people to court, you must give us the proof of evidence,” Mr Falana said at press conference on Monday August 26.

“The proof of evidence is everything you were able to gather together during your investigation which informed your decision to charge them to court.

“From my understanding and my interaction with some of these boys, they were in a party, so how do you prove to the whole world that they were engaged in same-sex? We have 57 boys, who is having sex with the other? How were they doing it?

“It’s been exactly one year that these boys have been arrested and detained, and I can tell you, as at the last time we were in court, not a single charge has been preferred against them.

“I was in court personally myself on the last adjourned date and I tried to move the magistrate to strike out the case because as far as I’m concerned, there is no case before the court because there is no charge. But in her wisdom, she said no, that she is going to adjourn.

“Counsel to the police mentioned that they are trying to put heads together and charge them before a federal high court, that it was a federal offence.”

Admitting that he is aware of Nigeria's anti-gay law which criminalises same-sex relationships and also has a conviction of up to 14 years in prison, Falana maintained that it is subservient to the Nigerian Constitution. Premium Times reported that he also lashed out at the Police for parading the young men before the media and then stalling their trial in court.

“The question here is this, if the Constitution has guaranteed their freedom of association, freedom to assemble together, that fundamentally-guaranteed freedom cannot be taken away at the whims and caprice of anybody including the state.

“Anybody can gather, that is what the Constitution says, the Constitution never mentioned that boys must not stay together or girls must not assemble" he said.

“These boys have been shown to the whole world as homosexuals, as criminals. At the end of the day, if the state cannot prefer a charge against them in one year, it tells a lot about whatever is wrong with their investigation.

“Secondly, how are you going to make up for this stigmatisation? Are you going to take them back on air and say we are sorry these boys are not whom we thought they are? How do you ameliorate their pains in terms of re-creating the wrong impression you have given the whole world?” he added.

Also lamenting over the demonization of the young men by friends and family after being arrested over homosexuality by the Police, Xeenarh Mohammed, the executive director of The Initiative for Equal Rights stated that the men have not had the chance to clear their names thereafter.

“The reason we are here today is because of the miscarriage of justice that has been done here in Lagos State both by the police and the entire legal system,” said Ms Mohammed.

“Today is exactly a year since the people at a birthday party were arrested, detained for days, maltreated and they’ve still not seen justice. They’ve been branded as criminals, displayed to the rest of the world and they have not had a chance to clear their names.”

Reported that upon being arrested on August 26, 2018, Lagos state's former commissioner of police Imohimi Edgal accused the "suspects" of performing gay initiation rites for newly recruited members. However when arraigned before a Yaba chief magistrate court on three counts of conspiracy, belonging to a secret cult, and unlawful gathering the men claimed they were attending a birthday party.

https://bigbuzzpanda.com/police-presents-no-evidence-a-year-after-arresting-57-men-for-homosexuality-in-lagos/

our system has been and its still being destroyed by the police and the ancient judiciary system as introduced by our colonial fathers.how can you keep not 5, not 7 but 57 men without evidence for more than 48 hours and a judge has mind to even adjourn the case after one year,JESUS.the day we change from the British system of law which obviously,we have misinterpreted to the american system of law,is the day Nigeria will get better.
Re: Police Presents No Evidence, A Year After Arresting 57 Men For Homosexuality by losky83: 12:18am On Aug 28, 2019
24hourNigeriane:

If you are related to any of these 57 men,please tell them to put their resources together and charge the police with illegal arrest without evidence and character deformation. I know that the Nigerian Judiciary is as useless as the police force but they should give it a try.
Re: Police Presents No Evidence, A Year After Arresting 57 Men For Homosexuality by Dshocker(m): 5:28am On Aug 28, 2019
They didn't caught me

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Fight You Won't Forget? Share your experiences / South African Woman Smuggles N71m Into Nigeria / Lifeless Body Of A Man Found By The Roadside In Osogbo (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.