Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,492 members, 7,816,163 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:57 AM

1999 Constitution Can’t Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Afe Babalola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 1999 Constitution Can’t Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Afe Babalola (8581 Views)

Military Alone Can’t Solve Northwest’s Security Crisis — Shettima / General Farouk Yahaya: Army Alone Can’t Solve Nigeria’s Security Problems / Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

1999 Constitution Can’t Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Afe Babalola by excel111(m): 10:33pm On Aug 27, 2019
Legal icon and founder of Afe Babalola University(ABUAD), Chief Afe Babalola, says the current Nigerian constitution is inadequate to solve the myriads of problems confronting the country.

Afe Babalola
He spoke on Tuesday in Ado-Ekiti during his conferment with the Africa Role Model and AU Agenda 2063 Ambassadorial Award by the African Union.

Babalola said the 1999 constitution was antithetical to the development and progress of the country considering the loopholes inherent in its operational legal framework.

He said it would be an herculean task for any leader to succeed in making spectacular accomplishments with the 1999 Constitution.

Accordingto him, the constitution is not suitable for the peculiar nature of the country.

He said unless bold steps were taken to change the constitution, many developmental efforts may end in futility.

Babalola described as irregular the description of the current constitution as ” federal,” saying it remained unitary in all ramifications.

He urged President Muhammadu Buhari to convene a Sovereign National Conference with membership elected based on zero party system to design a new people-oriented constitution.

Recover, N26.7trillion, $322m, N500b missing under Buhari’s administration, PDP begs NASS(Opens in a new browser tab)

Babalola said the award given to him was a good omen to millions of Nigerians and Africa.

“It is a tragedy that Africa today is bereft of transformational leaders such as Ghandi, Kwame Nkrumah, Nnamdi Azikwe, Obafemi Awolowo, Nelson Mandella and Ahmadu Bello

“For Africa to move forward, we need transformational leaders and not operators of 1999 Constitution.

” The renaissance has started in ABUAD. ABUAD is the clear leader in reformation of education. We have succeeded in nine years to transform education in the country,” he said.

The African Union ECOSOCC Nigeria Representative, Dr Tunji Asaolu, said Babalola’s contribution to human capital development was worthy of commendation and emulation.

Asaolu said the continental award was conferred on the legal icon based on his legendary impact in all spheres of human life to the benefit of Africa.

According to him, Babalola is a continental role model whose work and activities are serving as veritable implementation platforms.

Also speaking at the ceremony, Gov. Kayode Fayemi described Babalola as a pride to Ekiti and entire black race, saying his developmental impact in Ekiti, Nigeria and Africa was enormous. (NAN).

Vanguard

Source:
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2019/08/1999-constitution-cant-solve-nigerias-problems-afe-babalola/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1999 Constitution Can’t Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Afe Babalola by Electdbahdguy(m): 3:03am On Aug 28, 2019
grin FTC, YEAH!!!!

Fok the Nigerian constitution men! I never chop come be the constitution wey no fit help local man.

Meanwhile, I dedicate this my FTC to my mom. She's always been praying for me that I will turn out great. Thanks mom, I just made Nairaland FTC!!!

Then, to my Babe Amaka. It took me 356 to get your number and 800 days to agree to be My Babe. We've dated for 3 years now and I've not seen your opantee much more your chochochocho. Baby why na?? Is it gold-plated?? Why don't you want local man to dive in and have a good time na Anyways, I believe with this iga emepe the bullshit ka m suoo!!!!!

Then lastly, to everyone that read this and clicked like. You'll win 2M this weekend on bet9ja.com.

If you no win quote me and send your AKANT make I credit you 2M a$ap!!

cool

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1999 Constitution Can’t Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Afe Babalola by MrGreenMavro: 3:04am On Aug 28, 2019
angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1999 Constitution Can’t Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Afe Babalola by itsme01: 3:06am On Aug 28, 2019
angry

1999 constituition is actually Nigeria's problem

Legally a constituition require constituitional confrence with contribution from all corners of the country so that the laws wont be strange or alien to us, but this isnt so, most people dont know what law governs them because they werent part of the process, unlike many americans that no their constituition and major ammendments

A constituition written by Abacha and his supreme military council like Abdulsalam and some other asslicking politicians for the purpose of easing a way for Abacha to transittion into a life president

a fvcked up constituition specifically designed to intimedate the poor with clauses like Imuinity for governors and deputy, president and vice
poor man crime like Roberry can get you decades behind bars but rich mans crime like corruption and graft only gets you few months or years with option of fine and maximum of 5 to 7 years

We know if Nigerians made their own constituition through collective gathering of all tribes that made up Nigeria in a constituitional confrence;

*Corruption would recieve brutal punishment (cos we dont joke with thieves)
*No Executive would have anything called secuirity vote that they can spend without accounting for
*Rape and child molestation would had been a capital punishment like kidnaping with death as punishment
*Senator wouldnt be paid irrelevant allowances or huge running cost when NASS is still been ran by FG
*A single Person like the President or minister of petroleum wouldnt be so powerful as to single handedly give out OML and oil fields to who ever he likes and withdraw it when ever he pleases
*Solid Minerals would never be on exclusive list with someone in Abuja telling me i cant mine gold or coal in my fathers farm except abuja minister decides to give me lisence to my own land or gives it to his kinsmen

18 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 1999 Constitution Can’t Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Afe Babalola by 247Dior(m): 3:06am On Aug 28, 2019
Those power drunk clowns up north will never agree to change the useless constitution which is a clog in Nigeria's developement because it was scripted to favor them only.

My suggestion : go back to 196* constitution that brought us together as a nation and update from there.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1999 Constitution Can’t Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Afe Babalola by frikpus: 3:07am On Aug 28, 2019
Of a truth, it can't.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1999 Constitution Can’t Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Afe Babalola by Nobody: 3:09am On Aug 28, 2019
Una no dey sleep?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1999 Constitution Can’t Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Afe Babalola by LOVEGINO(m): 3:10am On Aug 28, 2019
We need to sell dis country share the money make every baga find him way. But d problem be say, who wan buy problem (naija)

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1999 Constitution Can’t Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Afe Babalola by Nobody: 3:10am On Aug 28, 2019
Una no dey sleep? Na waoo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1999 Constitution Can’t Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Afe Babalola by Nobody: 3:12am On Aug 28, 2019
Very very true

Verified WeChat and Alipay wallet available

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1999 Constitution Can’t Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Afe Babalola by olisaEze(m): 3:17am On Aug 28, 2019
Wise words from the lips of a legal luminary.

But Oga didn’t we just have a confab not too long ago, whatever happened to the report? Do we have to go through the financial waste & jamboree all over again just to have something to throw into the dustbin one more time? undecided

It does the sheep no good to preach of the goodness of a diet of grass when the wolves are of a different mind!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1999 Constitution Can’t Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Afe Babalola by naijacentric(m): 3:21am On Aug 28, 2019
Lucid1:
Una no dey sleep?
some people are night people

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1999 Constitution Can’t Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Afe Babalola by naijacentric(m): 3:21am On Aug 28, 2019
iAudio:
sleep is for the weak

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1999 Constitution Can’t Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Afe Babalola by DaddyYeeboz: 3:34am On Aug 28, 2019
Lucid1:
Una no dey sleep?

You think everyone is in the same time zone with you?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1999 Constitution Can’t Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Afe Babalola by aolawale025: 3:39am On Aug 28, 2019
I agree. Nigeria needs a dialogie

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1999 Constitution Can’t Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Afe Babalola by allcomage: 3:41am On Aug 28, 2019
Unless something is done urgently to unbundle the country, it's definitely heading to the rocks. The country is not working at all. By 2050,Nigeria will be above 500m, gentlemen is there any sign that such a staggering population could be taken care of.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1999 Constitution Can’t Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Afe Babalola by aksule(m): 4:15am On Aug 28, 2019
We will continue changing the constitution almost every year given the Nigeria factor. Someone will come up after the change and tells you 'the constitution as it is now does not reflect the aspirations of Nigeria '
A clear example is the Nigeria police. We are now clamouring for state police forgetting the fact which is still prevailing if you take state electoral commission into consideration why regional police as at then had to be abolished.
At times we hear people telling you 'true federalism' forgetting what constitutes Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1999 Constitution Can’t Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Afe Babalola by Nobody: 4:21am On Aug 28, 2019
Though our constitution has lapses, But abiding by the rules of the present one, is the problem Nigerians have, not the constitution itself. period!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1999 Constitution Can’t Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Afe Babalola by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:25am On Aug 28, 2019
He said unless bold steps were taken to change the constitution, many developmental efforts may end in futility.
The 1999 constitution is the main problem in our nation.
It has done absolute more harm than good.
Many of these criminals from 1999 up till now are all hiding behind many of the laws to steal and rape our nation treasury.
The power of immunity has brought about millions of bad and negatives compare to the very few god aspect of it.
We hope our darling Daddy President Muhammadu Buhari makes a drastic change to this constitution before he leaves the office 4 years from now.

God bless Nigeria.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 1999 Constitution Can’t Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Afe Babalola by ednut1(m): 4:28am On Aug 28, 2019
Nothing can solve it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1999 Constitution Can’t Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Afe Babalola by chloride6: 4:31am On Aug 28, 2019
Just as the 1963 or 1979 constitution did not fix Nigeria.

Infact from the Lugard Constitution down till McPherson, Nigeria's problems didnt go away...

No be constitution be the matter abeg..

Constitution is a work in progress...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1999 Constitution Can’t Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Afe Babalola by gaventa: 4:44am On Aug 28, 2019
No sleep for the WICKED
iAudio:
Re: 1999 Constitution Can’t Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Afe Babalola by ebuk4real(m): 4:46am On Aug 28, 2019
grin grin

As if we even have a country in the first place...

1 Like

Re: 1999 Constitution Can’t Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Afe Babalola by adewest1999(m): 5:17am On Aug 28, 2019
Electdbahdguy:
grin FTC, YEAH!!!!

Fok the Nigerian constitution men! I never chop come be the constitution wey no fit help local man.

Meanwhile, I dedicate this my FTC to my mom. She's always been praying for me that I will turn out great. Thanks mom, I just made Nairaland FTC!!!

Then, to my Babe Amaka. It took me 356 to get your number and 800 days to agree to be My Babe. We've dated for 3 years now and I've not seen your opantee much more your chochochocho. Baby why na?? Is it gold-plated?? Why don't you want local man to dive in and have a good time na Anyways, I believe with this iga emepe the bullshit ka m suoo!!!!!

Then lastly, to everyone that read this and clicked like. You'll win 2M this weekend on bet9ja.com.

cool
You go add this feat for your cv na abi

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1999 Constitution Can’t Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Afe Babalola by Nukilia: 5:43am On Aug 28, 2019
247Dior:
Those power drunk clowns up north will never agree to change the useless constitution which is a clog in Nigeria's developement because it was scripted to favor them only.

My suggestion : go back to 196* constitution that brought us together as a nation and update from there.

Nigeria was sabotaged by the British, the North is also trying their best. A time would come when the North would be at a disadvantage. The North would be like IPOB of today and they'll cry marginalization but nobody would listen to them. They'll pick up arms but would be crushed on their own soil.

1 Like

Re: 1999 Constitution Can’t Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Afe Babalola by anonimi: 5:49am On Aug 28, 2019
Electdbahdguy:
grin FTC, YEAH!!!!

cool

Professor Wole Soyinka was right about NL youths. undecided

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3504410_internet_jpeg8efe841e125b21f5a740dc528a146d09

2 Likes

Re: 1999 Constitution Can’t Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Afe Babalola by anonimi: 5:51am On Aug 28, 2019
Nukilia:
Nigeria was sabotaged by the British, the North is also trying their best. A time would come when the North would be at a disadvantage. The North would be like IPOB of today and they'll cry marginalization but nobody would listen to them. They'll pick up arms but would be crushed on their own soil.

Are you also called Joseph, the dreamer

1 Like

Re: 1999 Constitution Can’t Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Afe Babalola by anonimi: 5:55am On Aug 28, 2019
olisaEze:
Wise words from the lips of a legal luminary.

But Oga didn’t we just have a confab not too long ago, whatever happened to the report? Do we have to go through the financial waste & jamboree all over again just to have something to throw into the dustbin one more time? undecided

It does the sheep no good to preach of the goodness of a diet of grass when the wolves are of a different mind!

He has actually shown himself to be a legal illiterate.
Does he not know of amendments to constitutions, a few of which have been made to the 1999 constitution already

1 Like

Re: 1999 Constitution Can’t Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Afe Babalola by jaxxy(m): 6:00am On Aug 28, 2019
itsme01:
angry

1999 constituition is actually Nigeria's problem

Legally a constituition require constituitional confrence with contribution from all corners of the country so that the laws wont be strange or alien to us, but this isnt so, most people dont know what law governs them because they werent part of the process, unlike many americans that no their constituition and major ammendments

A constituition written by Abacha and his supreme military council like Abdulsalam and some other asslicking politicians for the purpose of easing a way for Abacha to transittion into a life president

a fvcked up constituition specifically designed to intimedate the poor with clauses like Imuinity for governors and deputy, president and vice
poor man crime like Roberry can get you decades behind bars but rich mans crime like corruption and graft only gets you few months or years with option of fine and maximum of 5 to 7 years

We know if Nigerians made their own constituition through collective gathering of all tribes that made up Nigeria in a constituitional confrence;

*Corruption would recieve brutal punishment (cos we dont joke with thieves)
*No Executive would have anything called secuirity vote that they can spend without accounting for
*Rape and child molestation would had been a capital punishment like kidnaping with death as punishment
*Senator wouldnt be paid irrelevant allowances or huge running cost when NASS is still been ran by FG
*A single Person like the President or minister of petroleum wouldnt be so powerful as to single handedly give out OML and oil fields to who ever he likes and withdraw it when ever he pleases
*Solid Minerals would never be on exclusive list with someone in Abuja telling me i cant mine gold or coal in my fathers farm except abuja minister decides to give me lisence to my own land or gives it to his kinsmen

Creating a unified constitution is a difficult process and that’s probably why it’s never been addressed, there are many agitations and demands mostly genuine bt many details and factors need to be considered b4 properly addressing them. Even the new constitution cannot please everybody 100% at thesame time, it will be give and take and striking the requiremed balance on issues many of them which are contentious.

2 Likes

Re: 1999 Constitution Can’t Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Afe Babalola by anonimi: 6:00am On Aug 28, 2019
chloride6:
Just as the 1963 or 1979 constitution did not fix Nigeria.

Infact from the Lugard Constitution down till McPherson, Nigeria's problems didnt go away...

No be constitution be the matter abeg..

Constitution is a work in progress...

Exactly.
How come you know what the supposed legal luminary does not know? grin
The American constitution is equally a work in progress as detailed below:

Thirty-three amendments to the United States Constitution have been proposed by the United States Congress and sent to the states for ratification since the Constitution was put into operation on March 4, 1789. Twenty-seven of these, having been ratified by the requisite number of states, are part of the Constitution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_amendments_to_the_United_States_Constitution

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4160987_image_jpeg_jpeg6f95b5e7a24ad4fc0808d6698fd37362

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Abubakar Sani-Bello Brother, Aminu, Leaves APC, Joins PDP / Percentage Of Muslims In Each SE State / APC's National Caucus, NEC Meetings To Hold This Week

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.