Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,408 members, 7,819,459 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:40 PM

Red Flags To Look Out For During Property Inspection - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Red Flags To Look Out For During Property Inspection (26221 Views)

What To Look Out For During Property Inspections: 5 Tips For Homebuyers / What To Look Out For During Property Inspections: 5 Tips For Homebuyers / What Is That Diabolical Sign To Look Out For While Renting An Apartment? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Red Flags To Look Out For During Property Inspection by emerged01(m): 8:14am On Nov 21, 2020
The position of septic tanks to borehole also matters. Not getting to good water supply to the apartment can make one lose sanity. And power supply to the area is another thing to consider.
Re: Red Flags To Look Out For During Property Inspection by obo389(m): 8:15am On Nov 21, 2020
Very insightful.
Thanks
Re: Red Flags To Look Out For During Property Inspection by INTEGRITYA1(m): 8:15am On Nov 21, 2020
Nice
Re: Red Flags To Look Out For During Property Inspection by IVORY2009(m): 8:16am On Nov 21, 2020
Smara:
This sounds abroad ish undecided

You sound local ish baby
Re: Red Flags To Look Out For During Property Inspection by ceaser: 8:19am On Nov 21, 2020
Good points no doubt. But I gather these seem to be more tailored to the west where they basically use wood to build their homes. Well except maybe the wiring, water and broken roof issues.

Aside those three, how about other important things to watch out for in Nigerian case scenario, where bricks are the major use, also putting in mind every other peculiarities with Nigerian buildings?

1 Like

Re: Red Flags To Look Out For During Property Inspection by francotunsco: 8:26am On Nov 21, 2020
For me, I don't find these 'red flags' helpful!
Insects and termites can be treated perfectly. Proper channelling of water can be done.
The highlighted issues are easy to manage. I think the following are rather more important red flags

1. Watch out for people that live around, read their gesticulations on the visit. Some may be nice enough to give you signals on possible reasons why you shouldn't buy the house.

2. Carefully inspect to detect if there is a buried body on the land. Such graves are sometimes strategically concealed with slabs.

3. Be diligent enough to carefully examine the painting on the building to detect a possible concealment of a caveat sign. Of course, Caveat Emptor means buyer beware! The land may be subject to litigation or the rightful owners are suspecting a dubious sale of the property.

4. You can discreetly ask one of your co-inspector to engage the security personnel on the property in casual discussion. Useful hints maybe sourced!

I hope you will find this helpful!

3 Likes

Re: Red Flags To Look Out For During Property Inspection by Lexusgs430: 8:26am On Nov 21, 2020
Book an inspection when rain is heavy.......... grin
Re: Red Flags To Look Out For During Property Inspection by Henrydata(m): 8:37am On Nov 21, 2020
Thanks for the insight
Re: Red Flags To Look Out For During Property Inspection by IMO01: 8:47am On Nov 21, 2020
Get cheap lands in imo state
Re: Red Flags To Look Out For During Property Inspection by Idugie1: 8:48am On Nov 21, 2020
grin grin cheesy grin grin the last part got me rolling
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright ..
Perused through this bros op write up while putting on my intellectual cap and reading between lines and I must say it is one not devoid of intellect

But as a real niggarrr the only inspections that bothers me if at all i want to buy a house is the fact that the house should be situated in da hood filled with real niggarrrrs and most importantly proximity to weed seller

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Red Flags To Look Out For During Property Inspection by Nobody: 8:51am On Nov 21, 2020
Copy and paste jargon. This is mostly relevant in the US.

Things to look out for in Lagos.

1. Water - if you see Ă bĂłki selling water or any water vendor, run away from that area. Because the water in that area will most likely not be clean.

2. Light - if you notice too many petrol vendors in the area, my guy, run away! Unless you have a solar panel infrastructure.

Consider those two things even before the building itself.

2 Likes

Re: Red Flags To Look Out For During Property Inspection by IMO01: 8:56am On Nov 21, 2020
francotunsco:
For me, I don't find these 'red flags' helpful!
Insects and termites can be treated perfectly. Proper channelling of water can be done.
The highlighted issues are easy to manage. I think the following are rather more important red flags

1. Watch out for people that live around, read their gesticulations on the visit. Some may be nice enough to give you signals on possible reasons why you shouldn't buy the house.

2. Carefully inspect to detect if there is a buried body on the land. Such graves are sometimes strategically concealed with slabs.

3. Be diligent enough to carefully examine the painting on the building to detect a possible concealment of a caveat sign. Of course, Caveat Emptor means buyer beware! The land may be subject to litigation or the rightful owners are suspecting a dubious sale of the property.

4. You can discreetly ask one of your co-inspector to engage the security personnel on the property in casual discussion. Useful hints maybe sourced!

I hope you will find this helpful!

Thanks very helpful. Please check my profile any tips or question on my ad on properties

1 Like

Re: Red Flags To Look Out For During Property Inspection by Smara(f): 9:03am On Nov 21, 2020
IVORY2009:

You sound local ish baby

I am local undecided so
Re: Red Flags To Look Out For During Property Inspection by OlujobaSamuel: 9:05am On Nov 21, 2020
Some people go just copy anything and share.
If you are buying a house in Nigeria, none of the listed issue is a priority. Anyone buying a house in Nigeria knows he is ready for total renovation except you are buying a new house. Except firms into estate development, how many individuals even build for resale?
Your write-up isn't relevant to us biko
Re: Red Flags To Look Out For During Property Inspection by Reference(m): 9:16am On Nov 21, 2020
Who uses wood in houses these days anyway.... It is just so wrong.
Re: Red Flags To Look Out For During Property Inspection by mattsvibes: 9:18am On Nov 21, 2020
Come and inspect what's you want to buy I sell
Verified land and houses

Follow us on www.facebook.com/maymattprop

Re: Red Flags To Look Out For During Property Inspection by ekestic1976(f): 9:32am On Nov 21, 2020
What a DUMB post!
Re: Red Flags To Look Out For During Property Inspection by Justjyde(m): 9:35am On Nov 21, 2020

1 Like

Re: Red Flags To Look Out For During Property Inspection by yemmywesey(m): 9:41am On Nov 21, 2020
that nah for abroad people, people dey house � together with the landlord grave and ⚰️ coffin in Lagos.
Re: Red Flags To Look Out For During Property Inspection by pacespot(m): 10:03am On Nov 21, 2020
Take your time to inspect any property before opening your wallet, this includes buying a car too. Some Nigerian property sellers may behave incorporatively or rudely if they have options. I notice this in most real estate agents. The best thing is to buy a property from Nigerian when the seller is most desperate to sell.
Re: Red Flags To Look Out For During Property Inspection by Pedyson: 10:25am On Nov 21, 2020
U have spoken eloquently well...
U re such a real Niggarrrr��
Re: Red Flags To Look Out For During Property Inspection by mymadam(m): 10:36am On Nov 21, 2020
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright ..
Perused through this bros op write up while putting on my intellectual cap and reading between lines and I must say it is one not devoid of intellect

But as a real niggarrr the only inspections that bothers me if at all i want to buy a house is the fact that the house should be situated in da hood filled with real niggarrrrs and most importantly proximity to weed seller

Bad, bad guy grin
Re: Red Flags To Look Out For During Property Inspection by tellwisdom: 10:38am On Nov 21, 2020
Of all the problems to look out for, Na only ants u de talk about?? U be M’meehh!
Re: Red Flags To Look Out For During Property Inspection by cosmos1440: 10:38am On Nov 21, 2020
Sachiopropty:

https://sachiong.com/red-flags-to-look-out-for-during-home-inspection/

Nice write up but, you missed one very (probably the most) important redflag, especially in a place like Lagos and from personal experience.
This is flood and flooding.
Is the neighborhood prone to flood ?
Could the house itself be flooded if it rained heavily ?
In short, it's a common saying in my neighborhood that, the best time to rent/buy a house is during raining season

2 Likes

Re: Red Flags To Look Out For During Property Inspection by professore(m): 11:33am On Nov 21, 2020
Nice piece.
Re: Red Flags To Look Out For During Property Inspection by Wiseking00(m): 11:58am On Nov 21, 2020
BigDawsNet:
Inform your lawyer first

Contact verified estate management

Identify The Owner Of The Property

Correct,the estate management will get the job done they are expert in that field and your lawyer will handle the legality and investigation incase the 419s are trying to sell a property that does not belong to them
Re: Red Flags To Look Out For During Property Inspection by evuna: 1:03pm On Nov 21, 2020
mosques and churches nearby.

my house is every mans dream but i have to contend with the noise from a very close mosque. 5am to 6;30 am in the morning and when i come back from work 7pm to 8:30pm. my life is in a mess right now. constant headache. i dont know how to report them without them knowing because, i fear for my life when dealing with muslims and their religion. i am in lagos. HEEEEEELLP BEFORE I DIE. I STILL HAVE 8 MONTHS LEFT BEFORE MY RENT IS DUE.

THANKS

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Red Flags To Look Out For During Property Inspection by DAVE5(m): 1:42pm On Nov 21, 2020
pheelhip:
Check out precious electricity bill payments too

Very importanter ohh

Make we no go carry nepa bill wey pass our 2 years house rent

1 Like

Re: Red Flags To Look Out For During Property Inspection by DAVE5(m): 1:45pm On Nov 21, 2020
evuna:
mosques and churches nearby.

my house is every mans dream but i have to contend with the noise from a very close mosque. 5am to 6;30 am in the morning and when i come back from work 7pm to 8:30pm. my life is in a mess right now. constant headache. i dont know how to report them without them knowing because, i fear for my life when dealing with muslims and their religion. i am in lagos. HEEEEEELLP BEFORE I DIE. I STILL HAVE 8 MONTHS LEFT BEFORE MY RENT IS DUE.

THANKS

I heard there’s an agency for noise pollution in Lagos, my landlady don report one church before, but that one nah church, they no go slaughter our necks, las las we go apologize them sef go apologize, don’t try that since you know it’s “religion of peace” people that are causing the noise ohh if you value your life, they have no regard for human life

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Architectural Design And Build Projects / DATKEM Plaza: This Is Executive Recklessness - Funke Daniel To Gov Abiodun / Four-Storey Building Collapses In Lifecamp, Abuja, Many Injured (Video, Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.