Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,338 members, 7,811,980 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:22 AM

6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics (17999 Views)

Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station / List Of 24 Cars You Should Never Buy By Nigerian Twitter User (Photos) / How Cars 45 Ripped Us Off (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by iLegendd(m): 1:47pm On Aug 29, 2019
Nice post.
Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by airsaylongcon: 1:53pm On Aug 29, 2019
datola:
Most Nigeria's mechanics are 'Kazeems"

I observed they all use Mobil XHP for all cars and the educated illiterate customers driving latest cars will watch them as they pour wrong oil grade into their car engines.

That's why Nigerian used cars engines are nothing to write home about after one or two years of use.

I prefer servicing my car at organised service centres and even at that I watch and direct them as they work on the car.

Even those organised service centres use rubbish oil
Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by UrVillagePpl: 1:54pm On Aug 29, 2019
this is quite informative. it reminds of AIRTEL latest advert grin grin grin.

afolayan the paranoic car owner grin cool
Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by Afam4eva(m): 2:00pm On Aug 29, 2019
partnerbiz4:

I mean, how do you avoid the mechanics altogether.

Do you drive brand new cars?

I don't avoid them. I just get ripped off most of the time.
Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by ahckmedkosy(m): 2:06pm On Aug 29, 2019
To solve 80 percent of this problem of overspending just get an OBD scanner. Fortunately i sell a mini OBD Scanner that is easy to use and very affordable.. whatsapp on 07039349854 so we can talk.. by the way its 5k only..
Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by wisdomeze(m): 2:17pm On Aug 29, 2019
ona no go allow work Man chop?
Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by basic23111: 2:28pm On Aug 29, 2019
i dont leave my car with mechanic, i will be with u till u repair finish...at times i follow them to market to get part and now i can get d part my self...i will surely pay them for service

1 Like

Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by TeeFriz: 2:40pm On Aug 29, 2019
Nigeria mechanics are the worst to think of.. One wanted to change my water pump and asked for 10k, I actually transferred the money to him and something in me just pricked me to know the actual amount (maybe because I was actually broke).I boarded a bike and down to the auto shop. I met it for 5k...like WTF��.

And this guy was like workmanship is 5k,and he did one other stuff which is 1k. All together I was to pay #16k for just water pump change. I didn't say anything I waited till he was done but told him to make sure he brings the old part.

Baba came and got vexed saying why will I be telling him to bring the part, that hasn't he been bringing before now. I said yes you have but can I have the receipt of the water pump you bought? He said he had torn it and because before now I don't ask for receipts anytime he buys something or changes anything so he felt it was of no use. Immediately I confronted him and told him what I found out... Baba kept trying to play smart (mind you it was the same auto shop we both went).

I just jejely deducted the actual price of the pump from the initial deposit and rounded everything up (plus his workmanship and stuff). Till today I still dey find mechanic.
Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by Autospect1(m): 3:23pm On Aug 29, 2019
Most importantly get your intended car inspected before purchase, you can contact Autospect through Call/WhatsApp 08051807665 or 08100314596
Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by Yusuf4: 3:34pm On Aug 29, 2019
How much is an OBD scanner
Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by serah88: 3:35pm On Aug 29, 2019
funny
Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by Gazuzz(m): 4:38pm On Aug 29, 2019
AutoJoshNG:

It is paramount to ensure your car is at its optimal operating condition at all times. Even though this regular maintenance will cost you some money, it will make your car not to suffer a catastrophic failure that can milk your pockets dry.

It is a very easy task for dubious mechanics to extort a car owner who does not have a very good knowledge or experiences about cars. Some of these mechanics are not after the well-being of your car, they have an agenda to make money through you. That’s why some of them will make you come back every now and then.

We at Autojosh came up with some simple tips that will enable you get all the right services you are paying for.

Follow these few steps to be on safe hands.

1. Get the basic knowledge about cars:

If you’re among those that can tell apart a radiator and an air-conditioner condenser, this is for you. You need to have the basic knowledge of most of the parts in your car, so the mechanics don’t end up telling you they need to service the wiper blade in the alternator.

In order to protect your wallet, start learning from today. There are a lot of things you can read here on Autojosh. Go through our blog and thank us later.

2. Use a diagnostic tool:

Scanning a car in Nigeria is not all that cheap. Some workshops will charge as much as N5000 or even N10,000 to scan your car. Scanning your car will give you an edge of knowing the actual problem with your car. It will save you a lot of grammar and explanations from the mechanic.

Getting an OBD scanner of your own isn’t a bad idea if you have the money. You will enjoy it on the long run.

3. Identify the reason why you want to take your car to the mechanic:

When you don’t have a diagnostic tool, this is something you should find out. With your knowledge and the signs the fault put out, you should be able to point out what the problem could be.

Is the car misfiring? It could be plug related. Is the coolant in the radiator mixed with oil? It indicates your top/head gasket has been compromised.

When the reason why you want to take your car to the mechanic is very clear to you, you’re on the right track.

4. Ask questions and rely on referrals:

There is this saying that the devil you know is better than the angel you don’t know. Ask your friends, co-workers, neighbors about a very good mechanic they know. These groups of persons are in a good position to share their experiences with mechanics with you. If they felt any of the mechanics cheated them, they will tell you, so you know how to deal with them.

Referrals from friends, family, or colleagues could be the best way to find a good mechanic.

5. Check the prices of the car parts you’re likely to buy:

A bad mechanic won’t leave out any chance to milk you dry. Buying of spare parts is one of the ways they can do you strong thing. When you know that the price of an air filter is N3000, you can’t fall for a dubious mechanic price tag of N5000.

6. Ask mechanics for the old parts:

Some mechanics charge for replacement of parts without changing anything.

Asking for the old parts is one of the ways you can ensure they don’t collect money for new parts and not fix it up in your car. This works well when you are present where they are fixing your car.

Tell them before hand you need those old parts.

When you stick to these tips, the chances of a mechanic ripping you off are minimal. Even though they can still play smart, but it would be milder.

Kindly let us know other things one can do to avoid being ripped off by mechanics.

We hope this helps.

Don’t forget to like, rate and share.

Source: https://autojosh.com/6-ways-avoid-being-ripped-off-nigerian-mechanics/

no need for long talk, just fix your own car and you will be fine

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by pacespot(m): 5:04pm On Aug 29, 2019
Good points.

I fix my generator by myself these days.
Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by Gazuzz(m): 7:40pm On Aug 29, 2019
pacespot:
Good points.

I fix my generator by myself these days.

that's where I started
Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:01pm On Aug 29, 2019
TeeFriz:
Nigeria mechanics are the worst to think of.. One wanted to change my water pump and asked for 10k, I actually transferred the money to him and somethi in me just pricked me to know the actual amount (maybe because I was actually broke). I boarded a bike and down to the auto shop. I met it for 5k...like WTF��.

And this guy was like workmanship is 5k,and he did one other stuff which is 1k. All together I was to pay #16k for just water pump change. I didn't say anything I waited till he was done but told him to make sure he brings the old part.

Baba came and got vexed saying why will I be telling him to bring the part, that hasn't he been bringing before now. I said yes you have but can I have the receipt of the water pump you bought? He said he had torn it and because before now I don't ask for receipts anytime he buys something or changes anything so he felt it was of no use. Immediately I confronted him and told him what I found out... Baba kept trying to play smart (mind you it was the same auto shop we both went).

I just jejely deducted the actual price of the pump from the initial deposit and rounded everything up (plus his workmanship and stuff). Till today I still dey find mechanic.

I don't see why you are complaining about this. marking up parts is normal for mechanics. It's the same way doctors mark up drugs gotten from pharmacists. Besides your mechanic might have gotten a higher quality one. Would you pay for double labour if the part you got for the mechanic didn't work?
Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by TeeFriz: 10:28pm On Aug 29, 2019
tensazangetsu20:

I don't see why you are complaining about this. marking up parts is normal for mechanics. It's the same way doctors mark up drugs gotten from pharmacists. Besides your mechanic might have gotten a higher quality one. Would you pay for double labour if the part you got for the mechanic didn't work?

Bros, sorry o are you a mechanic or is any of your family members one?

I mentioned where we individually went to the same auto shop and asked for the same pump for the same car and there was nothing like one of higher or better quality.

Also, why did he not tender my receipt?

The part needed for the car wasn't a 'try by error' thing, it was a remove and replace thing, so where is the double labour coming from?

Chief, goan sit down... You don't know nothing... Eventually.

You just wanna type sh*t
Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by Shalomc(f): 4:17am On Aug 30, 2019
Logobenz3:
grin
No drive benz because routine maintenance will cost as much as an engine replacement for a Toyota.
Whether you like it or not,if you've got a Mercedes,your rip-off is sure and will make you wonder if you've gotta keep expending this much on a car? undecided
But what can we do?necessary evil and we love it grin
German cars are NOT meant for technological iddiots. They are not built for money miss road owners who only throw money at cars.
Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by Gazuzz(m): 6:44am On Aug 30, 2019
Shalomc:

German cars are NOT meant for technological iddiots. They are not built for money miss road owners who only throw money at cars.

Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by okewumi: 11:15am On Aug 30, 2019
Don't have a permanent mechanic.

When you have permanent one, they will behave like family until the finish you.

They will start calling you daddy, whereas na lie. They are ready to send you back to village grin

2 Likes

Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by ahckmedkosy(m): 12:15pm On Aug 30, 2019
i Sell for 5k only.

Its a mini OBD scanner.

Yusuf4:
How much is an OBD scanner
Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by dicksonadams(m): 2:33pm On Aug 30, 2019
serah88:
Get a SMART CAR SCANNER

I sell for 3k, the truth is, given the opportunity most Nigeria will try to make the highest profit on you
Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by greatstephenho(m): 2:59pm On Aug 30, 2019
Boss, please you can petronise me since Abuchi no longer supply you.....who �

Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by Nobody: 6:33pm On Aug 30, 2019
Afam4eva:

I don't avoid them. I just get ripped off most of the time.

Na so. Weird sound from under my car. Started this afternoon. Mechanic says it's the shaft. 50k.
Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by tck2000(m): 8:27am On Nov 17, 2019
Go
Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by Charly68: 2:02pm On Apr 12, 2020
They are terrible
Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by LussoAutos: 3:03am On Dec 01, 2021
That been said do you have any leads to any decent garages....
Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by Cokahot: 5:30pm On Dec 01, 2021
All mechanics are rhe same,recently I had an oil leak from my cylinder due to the fact that I ad been entering big holes like on top speed not till I dipstick and gbam my oil had shortened. Now my mechanic said everything will cost 15k.materials 10k,5k workmanship. I laff cos materials no pass 6k. I beat it down to 8k. No time. My friend took m to a diff mechanic,that one broke my air pipes going to engine and did not tell me,till my alternator cut out fried,I had to go back to my old mechanic I was running from. If na stuffs like leakage,I no mind make mechanic scam me 3k. But if na parts,oh bobs na ladipo straight

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? / Valeo Unveils Camera Tech That Allows Drivers To See The Back Of Their Trailers / Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.