Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,605 members, 7,820,162 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:45 AM

My Boyfriend And His Room Mate - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / My Boyfriend And His Room Mate (747 Views)

My Boyfriend Is My Houseboy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Boyfriend And His Room Mate by Dionne005: 11:13pm On Aug 30, 2019
So my boyfriend is Yoruba. He just got a new male room mate that is around 50s. All his other room mates have been around our age of 25-33. Im an African American female and I have my own place but I tend to stay around my boyfriend's place because it's a lot closer to work.

Anyways, The first week of knowing his room mate, I walk in early during the day and I see his room mate in the kitchen shirtless. He immediately goes to his room to put on a shirt and then greeted me. I say hello back and mind my own business. The following weekend I'm at my boyfriend's place watching TV with my boyfriend in the living room. His room mate walks out into the hallway with just a towel on. At first I thought, maybe he doesn't know im there and he is going to leave soon. But he doesn't he comes into the living room and sits down on the other side of the couch I'm sitting on. I just ignore him but I'm mad as hell. We live in America and here that is the highest sign of disrespect towards a woman. What does he think is going on here? My boyfriend tells me that it's ok and in his country men do that. I told him ok so I'll just wear my new silk robe I got because that must be ok too. He immediately says no that's different I say it's not. I have never seen my father and brothers like that and I have 4 brothers and they would never!

Anyways even though I live with my boyfriend im never there because I'm at work 14 to 16 hours a day so its not like I'm invading space or always in his presence. But when I am there and if I see his roommate he is always trying to talk to me. Im simply not interested. Hello and good bye is enough for me. Stop asking me where is my boyfriend or how was work or how your work life is because I dont care. Not trying to be rude but when your job is to be around folk and smile all day im no longer interested in continuing after I clock out. I just want to know from you guys what is normal and what's not from this man. None of my boyfriends other room mates were like this but they were younger.
Re: My Boyfriend And His Room Mate by blujoi(m): 11:35pm On Aug 30, 2019
You said he’s in his 50s, so yeah he could be trying to strike up a conversation with you cos that’s quite normal over here. Try to be as polite as possible cos he means no harm. As regards his having a towel when you are around, your boyfriend needs to have a talk with him and let him know you are uncomfortable with that. Y’all should be fine
Re: My Boyfriend And His Room Mate by Nobody: 12:01am On Aug 31, 2019
Do you think he's also comfortable having you around? In actual sense, you're the stranger in their mix. If he paid for the space he's occupying, then you have no business in telling him what, or what-not to do. Every one out there must not act like your father/brothers and it won't kill if you don't make it so obvious you hate him.

You only have two options.

1. Get your boyfriend to get him out. Since your boyfriend needing money so had to share a space, you could refund him what the man paid and make up an excuse to get him out.

2. You could relocate back to your place and have your boyfriend come do the stay over.

Ask yourself a question, if the dude wasn't in your life, wouldn't you have found a way around your work schedule?

1 Like

Re: My Boyfriend And His Room Mate by Nobody: 2:41am On Sep 02, 2019
You sound so entitled and rude. shocked shocked

First off, the man owes you no explanation as to what he chooses to wear when he is in his house. It's what men do when they are around fellow men or female relatives at home. They walk around in shorts, boxers, tie wrappers etc. the same way you wear bum shorts and skimpy tops.

You are yet to come to terms with the fact that your boyfriend now has a room mate and feel this man should give you some sort of acknowledgement and stay in your good books. Who do you think you are? You are the intruder. You are the nuisance. If you were in Nigeria, you'd be serving lunch to your boyfriend and his room mate so you can get in his good books.

...and no, the man isn't interested in you. You probably think too highly of yourself. Sympathy goes to your boyfriend. He must have a lot to deal with.
Re: My Boyfriend And His Room Mate by Shorsky1(m): 1:14pm On Sep 02, 2019
Please help a brother.I need a job anywhere in Benin city

(1) (Reply)

#5: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace / Cultural Difference Between China And Nigeria / Get Motivated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.