Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,673 members, 7,823,902 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:50 PM

Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad (35231 Views)

Russia retaliates, bans Obama, 499 US Citizens over US sanctions / Trump Stops Automatic Citizenship For People Born Abroad / Donald Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of Non-citizens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad by echelons(m): 8:49am On Aug 31, 2019
Good
Re: Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad by dallyemmy: 9:11am On Aug 31, 2019
Philippians 3:20-21 New Living Translation (NLT)

20 But we are citizens of heaven, where the Lord Jesus Christ lives. And we are eagerly waiting for him to return as our Savior. 21 He will take our weak mortal bodies and change them into glorious bodies like his own, using the same power with which he will bring everything under his control.

You can accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and be Born Again. Then you automatically become a Citizen of Heaven (The streets are made of Gold Rev. 21:21) . It has nothing to do with whether you were born in America or outside of America.

1 Like

Re: Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad by oluwaahmed: 9:34am On Aug 31, 2019
Duggedised12:
Some European countries have this laws too ,so i dont see the fuss. And as for those running to give birth in the US, market don spoil o.

How Pls read the info its not long.
Re: Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad by jamace(m): 10:07am On Aug 31, 2019
A president is repairing his country. Citizens of other damaged and bastardized countries are cursing and insulting him. Wetin concern una? Tell your president to repair una country.

1 Like

Re: Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad by DameB(f): 10:09am On Aug 31, 2019
babeosisi:
God bless Trump.If you don't like it deal with it!
Non.citizens only need 6 weeks to.make their kids citizens?
He should.have made it 6 years
Exactly, cos 6 weeks is even less than 2 months
Re: Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad by Duggedised12(f): 10:33am On Aug 31, 2019
Cantonese:

If you cannot tell us then you do not know what you are talking about. Since you have the information and you are certain please tell us and let us check. Do no give what is called "follow follow information".

Lol,OK let me clarify, unlike US where a child is automatically a citizen so long as the child is born there. What the US had was Unconditional citizenship but some other countries have put technicalites like for example ,one of the parent must be a citizen or settled in that country etc. That is what i was driving at.
Re: Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad by Sunsets: 10:57am On Aug 31, 2019
If they can make it 6weeks prior to delivery, they qualify.
stevodot22:
All these our celebrities wey go get belle for naija come run go USA go deliver, I hope say u guys dey read this. Dem come turn my beautiful naija to fu*king ground only to go get citizenship for their children

1 Like

Re: Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad by ffo(m): 11:03am On Aug 31, 2019
oloriLFC:
So no reason for running to the USA again with heavy belle to goan give birth.
Read before you comment!!

1 Like

Re: Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad by Soulsymbol99: 11:32am On Aug 31, 2019
Thought it was the other way around undecided
Re: Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad by RexTramadol1: 11:47am On Aug 31, 2019
Odingo1:
That is not good idea, two American citizens having their child outside US, their child is supposed to be qualified automatically as US citizen if all evidence shows that they are the real owner of the child.

For foreigners giving birth in US, their child should wait till 18 years to qualify, that is the standard in EU.

Nigeria own is the most difficult one and need to amended since you cannot be a Nigerian unless if your parents or grandparents is a Nigerian.

It's not a bad idea seriously

If they give birth to their child abroad, it means the child will have to stay in the U.S for a period of time and granting them citizenship will be seamless

But once they opt to start a life abroad and live there, why claim U.S citizens again when they can naturalize
Re: Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad by JJOF(m): 12:10pm On Aug 31, 2019
Odingo1:
That is not good idea, two American citizens having their child outside US, their child is supposed to be qualified automatically as US citizen if all evidence shows that they are the real owner of the child.

For foreigners giving birth in US, their child should wait till 18 years to qualify, that is the standard in EU.

Nigeria own is the most difficult one and need to amended since you cannot be a Nigerian unless if your parents or grandparents is a Nigerian.

Abeg who wan be Nigerian? Even the Nigerians them dey wish say dem no be Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad by SweetSugarhoney(m): 1:12pm On Aug 31, 2019
Such is life.....I am unhappy with the idea of it
Re: Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad by NothingDoMe: 1:34pm On Aug 31, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

Babeosisi, mynd44, nothingdome, sunsets, skelewu, etc. the directive is UNCONSTITUTIONAL. The only way is to amend the constitution which is almost impossible. The US constitution clearly states that anyone born on US soil is automatically a US citizen. If it were so easy to undo or modify other presidents would have done it long ago. Trump is playing games
That's not what the policy is about. Have you read the link I provided on the policy?
Re: Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad by NothingDoMe: 1:35pm On Aug 31, 2019
seborrhic:
Soon as I read this here,I knew it couldn't be entirely or LIB didn't really understand what he or she read before writing it on the blog,as happens with many bloggers in Nigeria who don't really understand what they read and thus give it an interpretation based on their shallow understanding.
This policy will affect less than 100,some even say 25 people and is clearly not what LIB understood it to mean.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/immigration/trump-administration-clarifies-policy-on-citizenship-of-children-born-abroad-to-american-servicemembers/2019/08/30/1b5d4e22-ca6b-11e9-a4f3-c081a126de70_story.html?noredirect=on
Exactly. She just wants to Trend. Utter nonsense. Nigerians sef will not go online and read the policy. Smh.
Re: Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad by feelgoodstuffs(m): 3:11pm On Aug 31, 2019
Odingo1:

Who Nigeria epp? undecided

Re: Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad by CanadaOrBust: 4:12pm On Aug 31, 2019
NothingDoMe:
That's not what the policy is about. Have you read the link I provided on the policy?

I appreciate your providing a link but your link does not address what the OP posted (See below) which people have been commenting about:

Non-citizens are also expected to stay for at least 6 weeks in the US before their children born in the country will be considered citizens.
Re: Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad by NothingDoMe: 5:43pm On Aug 31, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

I appreciate your providing a link but your link does not address what the OP posted (See below) which people have been commenting about:

Non-citizens are also expected to stay for at least 6 weeks in the US before their children born in the country will be considered citizens.

Did you see that in the policy?!! I sent you the actual policy and you are still quoting Linda Ikeji? For real?
Re: Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad by tck2000(m): 6:39pm On Aug 31, 2019
Haha
Re: Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad by CanadaOrBust: 6:57pm On Aug 31, 2019
NothingDoMe:
Did you see that in the policy?!! I sent you the actual policy and you are still quoting Linda Ikeji? For real?

Bros there are discussions all over the internet, people hyperventilating that 6 weeks presence is now required for US born to become citizen. You posted a link of USICS clarifying what “residency” means. I posted a statement that such a requirement would be unconstitutional. Decide for yourself which one resolves the issue.
Here is your post again:

“You got it right. However Linda didn't get the full scope of the policy.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/policymanual/updates/20190828-ResidenceForCitizenship.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjdu9bfwKzkAhXeVBUIHZUGCYMQFjANegQIChAB&usg=AOvVaw0KjKKIDIzH3ZAjDuz3enhg

Stay blessed

Re: Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad by mozzking: 7:08pm On Aug 31, 2019
Odingo1:

lol and yet you can easily enter how you want through extremly porous borders and stay as long as you want

1 Like

Re: Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad by babytoun: 8:38pm On Aug 31, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

Bros there are discussions all over the internet, people hyperventilating that 6 weeks presence is now required for US born to become citizen. You posted a link of USICS clarifying what “residency” means. I posted a statement that such a requirement would be unconstitutional. Decide for yourself which one resolves the issue.
Here is your post again:

“You got it right. However Linda didn't get the full scope of the policy.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/policymanual/updates/20190828-ResidenceForCitizenship.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjdu9bfwKzkAhXeVBUIHZUGCYMQFjANegQIChAB&usg=AOvVaw0KjKKIDIzH3ZAjDuz3enhg

Stay blessed

I had maintained that the policy does not affect those traveling travelling to the US to have their babies until i downloaded the pdf file in this link and read it thoroughly .

I cant find any reference to the 6 weeks requirement to prove residency as even the document cited a 2 month stay that was not sufficient to prove residency .

From what i see except this is challenged in court and set aside they are saying you cant just travel down have a baby and return to you country and have citizenship and residency status given to your child .

except if anyone has a better explanation for the excerpts below

Commuters and Temporary Visits to the United States
Residence is more than a temporary presence or a visit to the United States. Therefore, temporary presences and visits are insufficient to establish residence for the purposes of transmitting citizenship.

Vacations or brief stays in the United States do not qualify as residence in the United States. [/b]However, attendance at school, college, or university in the United States for an extended period of time may be considered as residence in the United States depending upon the totality of the circumstances

[b]A U.S. citizen who was born in the United States generally meets the residence requirement as long as he or she can present evidence to demonstrate that his or her mother was not merely transiting through or visiting the United States at the time of his or her birth
.9 For example, a long form birth certificate is sufficient evidence if it shows a U.S. address listed as the mother’s residence at the time of the U.S. citizen’s birth.

If a U.S. citizen’s birth certificate indicates that his or her mother’s address was outside of the United States at the time of the birth, USCIS may find that the U.S. citizen does not meet the residence requirement unless the U.S. citizen can prove U.S. residence.

Documents that can help demonstrate residence include, but are not limited to, the following:

U.S. marriage certificate indicating the address of the bride and groom;

Property rental leases, property tax records, and payment receipts;

Deeds;

Utility bills;

Automobile registrations;

Professional licenses;

Employment records or information;

Income tax records and income records, including W-2 salary forms;

School transcripts;

Military records; and

Vaccination and medical records.

Re: Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad by CanadaOrBust: 9:35pm On Aug 31, 2019
babytoun:

I had maintained that the policy does not affect those traveling travelling to the US to have their babies until i downloaded the pdf file in this link and read it thoroughly .

I cant find any reference to the 6 weeks requirement to prove residency as even the document cited a 2 month stay that was not sufficient to prove residency .

From what i see except this is challenged in court and set aside they are saying you cant just travel down have a baby and return to you country and have citizenship and residency status given to your child .

except if anyone has a better explanation for the excerpts below

Bottom line is that the constitution is very clear and gives no room for further interpretation:

The Citizenship Clause is the first sentence of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, which was adopted on July 9, 1868. It states verbatim:
"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

BTW kudos on your research, could u give a link
Re: Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad by babytoun: 9:50pm On Aug 31, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

Bottom line is that the constitution is very clear and gives no room for further interpretation:

The Citizenship Clause is the first sentence of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, which was adopted on July 9, 1868. It states verbatim:
"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

Now they are saying the residency status of the mother at the time of birth must be taken into consideration at the time of birth .

simply put a visiting mother is only PRESENT in the states but not a RESIDENT , to this end the child though born in the united states is not qualified . This will require higher legal interpretations but the letter of the amendment makes that clear.

The link is the one you provided above. it is an 11 page pdf document which i read .

Re: Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad by babytoun: 9:59pm On Aug 31, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside ."

i think they are ready to test the word "RESIDE" in court taking into cognizance the intent of the framers of the constitution then
Re: Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad by CanadaOrBust: 10:07pm On Aug 31, 2019
babytoun:

i think they are ready to test the word "RESIDE" in court taking into cognizance the intent of the framers of the constitution then

But that’s just an added bonus. In US states can make their own laws. That statement simply makes it clear they can’t make a law denying such people citizenship of the state.
Re: Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad by CanadaOrBust: 10:17pm On Aug 31, 2019
babytoun:

Now they are saying the residency status of the mother at the time of birth must be taken into consideration at the time of birth .

simply put a visiting mother is only PRESENT in the states but not a RESIDENT , to this end the child though born in the united states is not qualified . This will require higher legal interpretations but the letter of the amendment makes that clear.

The link is the one you provided above. it is an 11 page pdf document which i read .

All that is bureaucratic mombo jumbo. Bottom line is, if u manage to have your child in the US that child will get a US passport when he applies for one - all he needs is his birth certificate. The State Dept will not be asking how long his mother or father stayed in US.
Re: Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad by Omonzeleang: 9:21am On Sep 01, 2019
I knew this day would come... Any whichway na way sha
Re: Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad by Cantonese: 8:52am On Sep 02, 2019
Duggedised12:

Lol,OK let me clarify, unlike US where a child is automatically a citizen so long as the child is born there. What the US had was Unconditional citizenship but some other countries have put technicalites like for example ,one of the parent must be a citizen or settled in that country etc. That is what i was driving at.

No problem bro. Please mention the country or countries.
Re: Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad by Duggedised12(f): 9:28am On Sep 02, 2019
Cantonese:

No problem bro. Please mention the country or countries.
France,UK,Germany,spain,these countries have tecnicalites in giving citizenship by birth to foreign parents.
Re: Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad by TS2(m): 6:02am On Sep 03, 2019
Mynd44:
Basicaly, a child born to American parents in Nigeria is stateless.

Since they don't have US citizenship yet and Nigeria does not give automatic citizenship to people born in Nigeria and their parents or grandparents are not Nigerians

Not true. Anybody born in Nigeria is a Nigerian citizen. You can be a Nigerian citizen through birth, naturalization and conferment of honorary citizenship
Re: Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad by Mynd44: 7:08am On Sep 03, 2019
TS2:

Not true. Anybody born in Nigeria is a Nigerian citizen. You can be a Nigerian citizen through birth, naturalization and conferment of honorary citizenship

You can only be a Nigerian by birth if a parent or grandparent is Nigerian. Nigerian does not give citizenship by birth.

Read your own constitution

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian, Julia Oparah Appointed Provost Of University Of San Francisco / Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act / Biden Plans Reversing Trump's Jerusalem Move Despite Strong Objections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.