Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,045 members, 7,818,142 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:50 AM

My Visit To Argo Legendary Ship Of Myth In Volos, Greece (photos) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Visit To Argo Legendary Ship Of Myth In Volos, Greece (photos) (29906 Views)

Lockdown: My Visit To Street Market In Greece (photos) / My Visit To Willow Wood: Hotel Allegedly Owned By Rochas Okorocha In Owerri / My Visit To 1000-Year-Old Tree & Byzantine Museum In Greece (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Visit To Argo Legendary Ship Of Myth In Volos, Greece (photos) by Nobody: 11:25am On Aug 31, 2019
Good afternoon Nairalanders, My name Collins remains unchanged, i represent MandyNews.com for culture, religion, travel/tour in the world.

Remember, I made so many reports during my 36 States tour in Nigeria, YES! this time Its Europe tour where I would be visiting and reporting so many myth in Europe.

Today it's about Greek mythology the Argo legendary ship

In Greek mythology, the Argo was the ship on which Jason and the Argonauts sailed from Iolcos to Colchis to retrieve the Golden Fleece.

GREEK LEGENDS AND MYTHS

THE ARGO IN GREEK MYTHOLOGY

The story of Jason and the Argonauts is one of the most famous tales of Greek mythology, and the story of the quest to obtain the Golden Fleece has been told and retold for countless generations.

Jason was of course the leader of the expedition, but the band of heroes he travelled with were collectively called theArgonauts, for they were voyagers upon the ship Argo. 

Jason is set his Quest

When Jason arrived in Iolcus to claim the throne from King Pelias, Pelias proclaimed that if he was to give his kingdom to Jason, then Jason would have to give him the legendary Golden Fleece.

The Golden Fleece though was located in Colchis, a barbaric land at the furthest extreme of the known world, at the far edge of the Black Sea. To get there from Iolcus meant sailing across the Mediterranean, through the Hellespont, and across the Black Sea, it was a voyage that no vessel yet constructed could hope to complete, and so Jason had to build a new one. 

Athena Designs the Argo

Jason was being aided in his quest by the goddess Hera, who was actually manipulating the young man for her own reasons, but Hera enlisted the help of another goddess, Athena, Greek goddess of wisdom, to provide a vessel for Jason to use.

So Athena came up with a new ship design, a design which would enable the vessel to make the longest sea trip yet undertaken. 

Argos Builds the Argo

So, as heroes from across the Ancient World arrived at Pagasae Harbour, to join Jason on his quest, a new ship started to be built; and whilst construction was undertaken by a man called Argos, Athena was also said to have assisted in the building of the ship.

The identification of Argos differs between the ancient sources, and whilst often called a son of Arestor from the city of Argos, the builder Argos is also sometimes named as a son of Phrixus, and thus a grandson ofAeetes, King of Colchis. 

The Magical Properties of the Argo

No plans of course survive of just what the new vessel looked like, but it is probably safe to assume that it was a galley design typical of those sailed later in Ancient Greece, with this new ship said to be pulled by 50 oars.

The most impact aspect of the construction of the new ship though, was the fact that part of the prow of the vessel was made from oak taken from the forest of Dodona.

Dodona was a sacred area in Ancient Greece, a region heavily linked with the god Zeus and prophecy, and the Oracle of Dodona was considered second only to the Oracle of Delphi in the ancient world. Thus, using oak from the sacred forests imbued the vessel with mystical powers, and the ship was said to be able to speak, and to offer up prophecies of its own.

Once constructed, it was time to give the vessel a name, and thus it was called the Argo. Two reasons are put forward for why the ship was called the Argo; firstly in recognition of the man Argos who had built it, and secondly because the Greek word argos means “swift”. 

The Argo Sails to Colchis

With the Argo built, a band of heroes collected, and Jason elected leader, it was time to leave Iolcus, and in some versions of the story of the Argonauts, it was the Argo itself who announced that the time had arrived to set sail. Thus, the Argo left the beach at Pagasae.

The journey to Colchis was a long one, and the sailors of the Argo faced many trials and tribulations on the islands of Lemnos and Samothrace, as well as Ares’ Island. The Agro itself also had to deal with its own problems, for it had to deal with gigantic waves as it passed Hellespont, and also deal with the Symplegades, the Clashing Rocks, at the Bosphorus, the latter of course being dealt with when the Argonauts set to their oars with great vigour. 

The Argo Returns to Iolcus

At Colchis, the Argo was anchored as most of the Argonauts went ashore, but soon it was time to make a rapid retreated from Colchis, for Jason, with Medea in tow, had removed the Golden Fleece from Ares’ sacred grove.

To slow down the pursuit of the Colchian navy and Aeetes, Medea and Jason killed Apsyrtus, Aeetes’s son, and dismembered the body, throwing body pieces into the sea.

This violent act though ensured that there was no easy journey for the Argo back to Iolcus, and many more dangers, and a much longer journey now faced the Argo and its crew.

The return voyage would see the Argo on the River Danube, sailing by Italy, Elba, Corfu, Libya and Crete. Indeed, in Libya, the Argo was actually carried by its crew across part of the desert. The return journey of the Argo would also see the ship having to deal with the twin dangers of Scylla and Charybdis, just as Odysseus would have to do a generation later.

In the end it was the Argo itself who advised Jason how the Argonauts could finally make it back to Iolcus, for the Argo advised that Jason would have to visit the sorceress Circe to acquire absolution for the murder of Apsyrtus.

Absolution would see a more rapid return to Iolcus, and the Argo was soon once again upon the beach of Pagasae, allowing Jason, Medea, the Argonauts and the Golden Fleece to disembark one last time. 

The Argo After the Quest

Whilst the Argo would never sail again, in recognition for its role in the quest, the likeness of the Argo was placed amongst the stars as the constellation Argo Navis.

The fact that the Argo was left upon the beach of Pagasae is not actually the end of the tale of the Argo, for years later it appeared again in the story of Jason. Jason was now a broken man, for after rejecting Medea, the Colchian sorceress had killed their sons. Thus, after much wandering, Jason arrived at Pagasae, and laid down for a while beneath the rotting hulk of the Argo. As he rested though, the piece of the prow made from the Dodona oak fell upon the hero, killing Jason, and ending the story of the Greek hero. 

Source: https://mandynews.com/my-visit-to-argo-ship-of-myth-in-volos-greece-photos/

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Visit To Argo Legendary Ship Of Myth In Volos, Greece (photos) by Nobody: 11:28am On Aug 31, 2019
Lalasticlala, kindly help push to front page to ginger the movement.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Visit To Argo Legendary Ship Of Myth In Volos, Greece (photos) by Nobody: 11:32am On Aug 31, 2019
I would post about my visit to Saint Paul the Apostle, one of the early Christian leaders the house he lived in Corinth, tomorrow kiss

Reno was there before

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Visit To Argo Legendary Ship Of Myth In Volos, Greece (photos) by wwwihy: 11:38am On Aug 31, 2019
Nice one

2 Likes

Re: My Visit To Argo Legendary Ship Of Myth In Volos, Greece (photos) by tollyboy5(m): 11:47am On Aug 31, 2019
following

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Visit To Argo Legendary Ship Of Myth In Volos, Greece (photos) by Nobody: 1:51pm On Aug 31, 2019
What if we build tonnes of these boats, with many rows, tag a story to it placing in respect to our slavery while launching it at badagry, bayelsa, calabar etc...

This is how tourism and myths are created, you and I may know the story behind it but the next Generation takes it as history.. and gradually turns to a tourism point.

90 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Visit To Argo Legendary Ship Of Myth In Volos, Greece (photos) by LifeDrama: 2:04pm On Aug 31, 2019
Esseite:
What if we build tonnes of these boats, with many rows, tag a story to it placing in respect to our slavery while launching it at badagry, bayelsa, calabar etc...

This is how tourism and myths are created, you and I may know the story behind it but the next Generation takes it as history.. and gradually turns to a tourism point.

Very correct

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Visit To Argo Legendary Ship Of Myth In Volos, Greece (photos) by Lordjb: 2:07pm On Aug 31, 2019
Nice one, see my signature below for link to stream BBNaija live

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Visit To Argo Legendary Ship Of Myth In Volos, Greece (photos) by TechCapon(m): 2:07pm On Aug 31, 2019
No vex I no sabi read long posts but nice pictures

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Visit To Argo Legendary Ship Of Myth In Volos, Greece (photos) by B2K4LUV(m): 2:08pm On Aug 31, 2019
OP where you dey see money travel??

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Visit To Argo Legendary Ship Of Myth In Volos, Greece (photos) by BruncleZuma: 2:09pm On Aug 31, 2019
Esseite:

Already exists in Rivers and Bayelsa States...they are called War Canoes, the bigger the boats the stronger the War Canoe House (Okrika) and the history behind them are 100%.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Visit To Argo Legendary Ship Of Myth In Volos, Greece (photos) by TechCapon(m): 2:09pm On Aug 31, 2019
B2K4LUV:
see question

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Visit To Argo Legendary Ship Of Myth In Volos, Greece (photos) by wakes: 2:10pm On Aug 31, 2019
Wow
Re: My Visit To Argo Legendary Ship Of Myth In Volos, Greece (photos) by Nobody: 2:11pm On Aug 31, 2019
B2K4LUV:

If I tell you, you go tell FBI tongue

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Visit To Argo Legendary Ship Of Myth In Volos, Greece (photos) by Celebsnews: 2:17pm On Aug 31, 2019
CollinsWeGlobe:

grin

You be one of the wire wire boys wey dem report say dem d run from EFCC and FBI? Run well O. But no run enter trap.

3 Likes

Re: My Visit To Argo Legendary Ship Of Myth In Volos, Greece (photos) by fergie001: 2:17pm On Aug 31, 2019
CollinsWeGlobe:

Are you a yahoo boy? grin

Nice pix.... Carry go
Re: My Visit To Argo Legendary Ship Of Myth In Volos, Greece (photos) by Protein0: 2:17pm On Aug 31, 2019
If you thought it was Bbsharon, click like cheesy

Nice one op kiss

5 Likes

Re: My Visit To Argo Legendary Ship Of Myth In Volos, Greece (photos) by OzziOhinoyi(m): 2:21pm On Aug 31, 2019
cool

Cool.
Re: My Visit To Argo Legendary Ship Of Myth In Volos, Greece (photos) by Ijawwomaninoyo: 2:26pm On Aug 31, 2019
Protein0:
If you thought it was Bbsharon, click like cheesy

Nice one op kiss

Bbsharon or EXPLORER.

3 Likes

Re: My Visit To Argo Legendary Ship Of Myth In Volos, Greece (photos) by chukwuibuipob: 2:26pm On Aug 31, 2019
sad cheesy very good post.I doubt Man Utd manager Solo go survive diz season.#Bring back Mou
Re: My Visit To Argo Legendary Ship Of Myth In Volos, Greece (photos) by Nobody: 2:27pm On Aug 31, 2019
how much did you spend for the travel arrangements. because person need to ja pa comot this place

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Visit To Argo Legendary Ship Of Myth In Volos, Greece (photos) by Tonymegabush1(m): 2:29pm On Aug 31, 2019
Wetin u go find there

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Visit To Argo Legendary Ship Of Myth In Volos, Greece (photos) by ruggedtimi(m): 2:31pm On Aug 31, 2019
cool..I believe th Argo story is fallacy

2 Likes

Re: My Visit To Argo Legendary Ship Of Myth In Volos, Greece (photos) by Pavore9: 2:31pm On Aug 31, 2019
Beautiful. Just remembered Jason and the Argonauts. cheesy
Re: My Visit To Argo Legendary Ship Of Myth In Volos, Greece (photos) by wink2015(m): 2:31pm On Aug 31, 2019
CollinsWeGlobe:
Good afternoon Nairalanders, My name Collins remains unchanged, i represent MandyNews.com for culture, religion, travel/tour in the world.

Remember, I made so many reports during my 36 States tour in Nigeria, YES! this time Its Europe tour where I would be visiting and reporting so many myth in Europe.

Today it's about Greek mythology the Argo legendary ship

In Greek mythology, the Argo was the ship on which Jason and the Argonauts sailed from Iolcos to Colchis to retrieve the Golden Fleece.

GREEK LEGENDS AND MYTHS

THE ARGO IN GREEK MYTHOLOGY

The story of Jason and the Argonauts is one of the most famous tales of Greek mythology, and the story of the quest to obtain the Golden Fleece has been told and retold for countless generations.

Jason was of course the leader of the expedition, but the band of heroes he travelled with were collectively called theArgonauts, for they were voyagers upon the ship Argo. 

Jason is set his Quest

When Jason arrived in Iolcus to claim the throne from King Pelias, Pelias proclaimed that if he was to give his kingdom to Jason, then Jason would have to give him the legendary Golden Fleece.

The Golden Fleece though was located in Colchis, a barbaric land at the furthest extreme of the known world, at the far edge of the Black Sea. To get there from Iolcus meant sailing across the Mediterranean, through the Hellespont, and across the Black Sea, it was a voyage that no vessel yet constructed could hope to complete, and so Jason had to build a new one. 

Athena Designs the Argo

Jason was being aided in his quest by the goddess Hera, who was actually manipulating the young man for her own reasons, but Hera enlisted the help of another goddess, Athena, Greek goddess of wisdom, to provide a vessel for Jason to use.

So Athena came up with a new ship design, a design which would enable the vessel to make the longest sea trip yet undertaken. 

Argos Builds the Argo

So, as heroes from across the Ancient World arrived at Pagasae Harbour, to join Jason on his quest, a new ship started to be built; and whilst construction was undertaken by a man called Argos, Athena was also said to have assisted in the building of the ship.

The identification of Argos differs between the ancient sources, and whilst often called a son of Arestor from the city of Argos, the builder Argos is also sometimes named as a son of Phrixus, and thus a grandson ofAeetes, King of Colchis. 

The Magical Properties of the Argo

No plans of course survive of just what the new vessel looked like, but it is probably safe to assume that it was a galley design typical of those sailed later in Ancient Greece, with this new ship said to be pulled by 50 oars.

The most impact aspect of the construction of the new ship though, was the fact that part of the prow of the vessel was made from oak taken from the forest of Dodona.

Dodona was a sacred area in Ancient Greece, a region heavily linked with the god Zeus and prophecy, and the Oracle of Dodona was considered second only to the Oracle of Delphi in the ancient world. Thus, using oak from the sacred forests imbued the vessel with mystical powers, and the ship was said to be able to speak, and to offer up prophecies of its own.

Once constructed, it was time to give the vessel a name, and thus it was called the Argo. Two reasons are put forward for why the ship was called the Argo; firstly in recognition of the man Argos who had built it, and secondly because the Greek word argos means “swift”. 

The Argo Sails to Colchis

With the Argo built, a band of heroes collected, and Jason elected leader, it was time to leave Iolcus, and in some versions of the story of the Argonauts, it was the Argo itself who announced that the time had arrived to set sail. Thus, the Argo left the beach at Pagasae.

The journey to Colchis was a long one, and the sailors of the Argo faced many trials and tribulations on the islands of Lemnos and Samothrace, as well as Ares’ Island. The Agro itself also had to deal with its own problems, for it had to deal with gigantic waves as it passed Hellespont, and also deal with the Symplegades, the Clashing Rocks, at the Bosphorus, the latter of course being dealt with when the Argonauts set to their oars with great vigour. 

The Argo Returns to Iolcus

At Colchis, the Argo was anchored as most of the Argonauts went ashore, but soon it was time to make a rapid retreated from Colchis, for Jason, with Medea in tow, had removed the Golden Fleece from Ares’ sacred grove.

To slow down the pursuit of the Colchian navy and Aeetes, Medea and Jason killed Apsyrtus, Aeetes’s son, and dismembered the body, throwing body pieces into the sea.

This violent act though ensured that there was no easy journey for the Argo back to Iolcus, and many more dangers, and a much longer journey now faced the Argo and its crew.

The return voyage would see the Argo on the River Danube, sailing by Italy, Elba, Corfu, Libya and Crete. Indeed, in Libya, the Argo was actually carried by its crew across part of the desert. The return journey of the Argo would also see the ship having to deal with the twin dangers of Scylla and Charybdis, just as Odysseus would have to do a generation later.

In the end it was the Argo itself who advised Jason how the Argonauts could finally make it back to Iolcus, for the Argo advised that Jason would have to visit the sorceress Circe to acquire absolution for the murder of Apsyrtus.

Absolution would see a more rapid return to Iolcus, and the Argo was soon once again upon the beach of Pagasae, allowing Jason, Medea, the Argonauts and the Golden Fleece to disembark one last time. 

The Argo After the Quest

Whilst the Argo would never sail again, in recognition for its role in the quest, the likeness of the Argo was placed amongst the stars as the constellation Argo Navis.

The fact that the Argo was left upon the beach of Pagasae is not actually the end of the tale of the Argo, for years later it appeared again in the story of Jason. Jason was now a broken man, for after rejecting Medea, the Colchian sorceress had killed their sons. Thus, after much wandering, Jason arrived at Pagasae, and laid down for a while beneath the rotting hulk of the Argo. As he rested though, the piece of the prow made from the Dodona oak fell upon the hero, killing Jason, and ending the story of the Greek hero. 

Source: https://mandynews.com/my-visit-to-argo-ship-of-myth-in-volos-greece-photos/

Reno Omokri is still junketing around the world enjoying himself.
Re: My Visit To Argo Legendary Ship Of Myth In Volos, Greece (photos) by sylve11: 2:33pm On Aug 31, 2019
nice one @ op...... cool
Re: My Visit To Argo Legendary Ship Of Myth In Volos, Greece (photos) by Nurumaxy: 2:34pm On Aug 31, 2019
nice

(1) (2) (Reply)

Commercial Operations Started On The New Lagos-Ibadan Rail Line This Morning / Burial Of Abbas Sahabi Cashier Killed In Accident With His Power Bike. Photos / Overcrowded Party Boat Sinks In Uganda, Killing Over 30, Some Missing(Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.