Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,555 members, 7,819,997 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:05 AM

Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes (16346 Views)

Daddy Freeze & Rev Fr Kelvin Ugwu Clash Over Easter Teaching / Father Kelvin Ugwu Speaks On #SilhouetteChallenge / Living Faith Creates USSD CODE To Facilitate Offerings And Tithes Online. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by Hakeem12(m): 12:12pm On Sep 01, 2019
Mechatronix:

You nailed it brother. God bless you. You are indeed a Bible Student
I was, I don't go to church no more. God bless you too
Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by Lawmak: 12:15pm On Sep 01, 2019
UceeGod:
Na dem!
How does this move one closer to God? Genuine Christianity is not all about money.

You did not read the post and have concluded. Even if you are a fool, must you show it.
Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by cookingsoul(m): 12:15pm On Sep 01, 2019
see dem nah to collect ur money dem sabi dey hav come again fraudsters of d highest order

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by Nobody: 12:17pm On Sep 01, 2019
Hakeem12:
The real question here is: “does the New Covenant require tithing, or do many Christians require it?” The New Testament teaches Cheerful Giving, but, unfortunately, many Christians still insist on tithing.

The problem with Christian Biblical interpretation is that one needs to take the Biblical passages in their textual and historical context. Much of the support for tithing comes from the Old Testament and the Old Mosaic Covenant, and the New Testament and the New Covenant. Malachi 3:8, is in the Old Covenant and applies to Mosaic Covenant Israel, not the New Covenant Church. In fact, there are only two or three references in the New Testament to tithing, and those passages refer to Christ rebuking the Jewish leaders for faithful tithing, while ignoring the most important things.

Many Christians take tithing out of context in other ways. Tithing was of agricultural produce and livestock. It was not of money. Tithing was to support the tribe of Levi, which could not have land of its own. Tithing was part of the Jewish tax system to support them and Temple worship. Tithing was also supposed to help the poor, not oppress them.

In the New Covenant, there is no tithing of the land. There is no Levitical priesthood. All Christians are priests. Neither the mode or need for tithing are relevant any more.

They are not Christians my brother. That is why they don't understand Apostasy. It won't be funny on that day.

God bless you my brother

1 Like

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by awetaiye2015: 12:18pm On Sep 01, 2019
JastSiryin:
Assuming say I dey go him church na bundle of Ugwu leaves I for give am as first fruit grin

He will bless it and give it back to u. That's the meaning of wen u give little, u reap little, wen u give bountifully, u reap bountifully. So wen u give ugwu leaves, u reap ur ugwu leaves. Wat u give, comes back to u.

Now to support this Rev's point, in the new testament, Jesus charged everyone of us to go into the world and preach the gospel. Now, that's makes everyone a preacher. If everyone is a preacher, who will then offer tithe and who will receive the tithe? Cos me as a preacher won't give my tithe to another preacher, and another preacher won't give his tithe to me.

As we all know, if tithe is taken out of church, most pastors will go broke and many will take to another job cos they were not called by God. Only the true pastors will remain cos they never depended on tithe and offering to live. Maybe this should be a way to combact these fake churches that are springing up self.

Doesn't anyone understand me here?

1 Like

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by Nodogragra4me(m): 12:28pm On Sep 01, 2019
Hakeem12:
The real question here is: “does the New Covenant require tithing, or do many Christians require it?” The New Testament teaches Cheerful Giving, but, unfortunately, many Christians still insist on tithing.

The problem with Christian Biblical interpretation is that one needs to take the Biblical passages in their textual and historical context. Much of the support for tithing comes from the Old Testament and the Old Mosaic Covenant, and the New Testament and the New Covenant. Malachi 3:8, is in the Old Covenant and applies to Mosaic Covenant Israel, not the New Covenant Church. In fact, there are only two or three references in the New Testament to tithing, and those passages refer to Christ rebuking the Jewish leaders for faithful tithing, while ignoring the most important things.

Many Christians take tithing out of context in other ways. Tithing was of agricultural produce and livestock. It was not of money. Tithing was to support the tribe of Levi, which could not have land of its own. Tithing was part of the Jewish tax system to support them and Temple worship. Tithing was also supposed to help the poor, not oppress them.

In the New Covenant, there is no tithing of the land. There is no Levitical priesthood. All Christians are priests. Neither the mode or need for tithing are relevant any more.

The truth is that you have only seen what you want to see f rom the scripture because of your nature.

Your claim that the two or three references exist in the new testament about tithing and them being about rebuke is patently false and a work of the devil. I hope you are not in his service.

Post those references and re read them to yourself and then point or explain how they are about rebuke
Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by silibaba: 12:31pm On Sep 01, 2019
awetaiye2015:

He will bless it and give it back to u. That's the meaning of wen u give little, u reap little, wen u give bountifully, u reap bountifully. So wen u give ugwu ?, u reap ur ugwu leaves. Wat u give, comes back to u.

Now to support this Rev's point, in the new testament, Jesus charged everyone of us to go into the world and preach the gospel. Now, that's makes everyone a preacher. If everyone is a preacher, who will then offer tithe and who will receive the tithe? Cos me as a preacher won't give my tithe to another preacher, and another preacher won't give his tithe to me.

As we all know, if tithe is taken out of church, most pastors will go broke and many will take to another job cos they were not called by God. Only the true pastors will remain cos they never depended on tithe and offering to live. Maybe this should be a way to combact these fake churches that are springing up self.

Doesn't anyone understand me here?
I concur sir

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by Originalsly: 12:35pm On Sep 01, 2019
newsynews:

Will you shut up.

What do you know about Christianity? It's not about money yet the Bible says we should honor God with the first fruits of all our substance?

You guys will just sit in one corner and start misleading people with stupid talks. One would think you know everything about the Bible.

So what should be done with the money?..... and is first fruit about money only?... what about first child?...isn't first child a first fruit?... shouldn't it be offered as well?.... should the pastor keep the child like the money?...or this is different?

Help us learn the right thing and not he mislead. You are free to pretend you didn't read this or are too busy to reply..... that's what Sheeple do.

1 Like

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by Hakeem12(m): 12:36pm On Sep 01, 2019
Nodogragra4me:

The truth is that you have only seen what you want to see f rom the scripture because of your nature.

Your claim that the two or three references exist in the new testament about tithing and them being about rebuke is patently false and a work of the devil. I hope you are not in his service.

Post those references and re read them to yourself and then point or explain how they are about rebuke
The first tithe was to be spent on travel and worship expenses for attending the annual feasts in Jerusalem (Deut. 14:22-26). The second tithe made provision for the Levites who ministered in the Temple (Deut. 14:27, Num. 18:21). The third tithe was collected every three years and distributed to the poor and needy (Deut. 14:28-29, 26:12). THIS was the tithing law that Jesus accused the Scribes and Pharisees of neglecting.

Re read them yourself, unless those passages were written by the devil, anyone would understand that. Comprehension isn't that hard.

3 Likes

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by yeshuasfootstep(m): 12:39pm On Sep 01, 2019
Yeshua would have done the same. Keep it up. Welfare of the sheep comes first.The truth will catch up with years of lies at last.

1 Like

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by Adams12345: 12:40pm On Sep 01, 2019
God bless father Kelvin, your words are revealing, i understand better, more Of God Grace and Anointing sir.

1 Like

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by Apination(m): 12:46pm On Sep 01, 2019
Hakeem12:

But no all Christians are priests in the order of Melchizedek undecided
Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by Obiwank: 12:49pm On Sep 01, 2019
LadyExcellency:
God is not interested in those things.

Holiness and righteousness is God's demand from you.

Matthew 5:23-24
[23]Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
[24]Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

These parts of the bible are not popular anymore...and that's why there is so much evil in the land. It's all about money and prosperity.

1 Like

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by newsynews: 12:52pm On Sep 01, 2019
Originalsly:

So what should be done with the money?..... and is first fruit about money only?... what about first child?...isn't first child a first fruit?... shouldn't it be offered as well?.... should the pastor keep the child like the money?...or this is different?

Help us learn the right thing and not he mislead. You are free to pretend you didn't read this or are too busy to reply..... that's what Sheeple do.

Go and read the Bible. God would have been collecting first child as first fruit, but he doesn't because he already took the Levites as first fruits from the children of Israel. That was when he made it clear that he won't be collecting first children as first fruits

Numbers 3:12
And I, behold, I have taken the Levites from among the children of Israel instead of all the firstborn that openeth the matrix among the children of Israel: therefore the Levites shall be mine;
Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by newsynews: 12:54pm On Sep 01, 2019
Skseries:
lol uncle, hypothetical speaking. I don't know ur pastor, I don't know u neither do I want to know either of u. Ur response just show u are filled with alot of anger and u assumed u are an island of Christianity knowledge... Keep fighting for Jesus u wey sabi Bible well..

I'm only angry at people who challenge the word of God with falsehood. The guy was spreading falsehood, so he needed to be rebuked before he successfully deceive the sheep.
Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by newsynews: 12:57pm On Sep 01, 2019
LadyExcellency:
God is not interested in those things.

Holiness and righteousness is God's demand from you.

Matthew 5:23-24
[23]Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
[24]Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

Where in the above passage does the Bible say we should never bring our gift to God? Can't you see that the bolded part says we should bring it after we've settled issues? Yet you say God is no longer interested in our offerings.

Guys, see why I shouted at that other fellow. It's the same this one is doing. They sit in one corner and start speaking falsely on how Christianity should be eve when they know nothing about it. Look at the bike statement this one made: God is no longer interested in our offerings. Nonsense.
Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by greatermeme: 1:09pm On Sep 01, 2019
UceeGod:
Na dem!
How does this move one closer to God? Genuine Christianity is not all about money.
Christianity : not GENUINE Christianity
Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by GoodBoi1(m): 1:13pm On Sep 01, 2019
So why did Jesus not condemn the Widows mite?

Luke 21:1-4
And He looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the treasury, 2 and He saw also a certain poor widow putting in two mites.[a] 3 So He said, “Truly I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all; 4 for all these out of their abundance have put in offerings [b]for God, but she out of her poverty put in all the livelihood that she had.
Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by Originalsly: 1:14pm On Sep 01, 2019
newsynews:

Go and read the Bible. God would have been collecting first child as first fruit, but he doesn't because he already took the Levites as first fruits from the children of Israel. That was when he made it clear that he won't be collecting first children as first fruits

Numbers 3:12
And I, behold, I have taken the Levites from among the children of Israel instead of all the firstborn that openeth the matrix among the children of Israel: therefore the Levites shall be mine;

Ok...fine. when did he start taking first salaries?....and what were the instructions on it's use?
I do have a Bible... very thick and dusty... and I'm a slow reader....can you either discuss or direct to specific verses like you did above?
Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by Ohraybs(m): 1:14pm On Sep 01, 2019
UceeGod:
Na dem!
What did you just say,seems you can't read to understand .
Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by GoodBoi1(m): 1:17pm On Sep 01, 2019
Why did Paul commend the Macedonian church for giving even out of their poverty?

2 Cor. 8:1-5
And now, brothers and sisters, we want you to know about the grace that God has given the Macedonian churches.
2 In the midst of a very severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity.
3 For I testify that they gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability. Entirely on their own,
4 they urgently pleaded with us for the privilege of sharing in this service to the Lord’s people.
5 And they exceeded our expectations: They gave themselves first of all to the Lord, and then by the will of God also to us.
Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by Nobody: 1:37pm On Sep 01, 2019
Crooked pastor.
Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by Nodogragra4me(m): 1:40pm On Sep 01, 2019
Mr. Post the two or three passages, on tithe, of the new testament and the rebuke, thereof

Hakeem12:
The first tithe was to be spent on travel and worship expenses for attending the annual feasts in Jerusalem (Deut. 14:22-26). The second tithe made provision for the Levites who ministered in the Temple (Deut. 14:27, Num. 18:21). The third tithe was collected every three years and distributed to the poor and needy (Deut. 14:28-29, 26:12). THIS was the tithing law that Jesus accused the Scribes and Pharisees of neglecting.

Re read them yourself, unless those passages were written by the devil, anyone would understand that. Comprehension isn't that hard.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by sykeng(m): 1:54pm On Sep 01, 2019
profolaolu:
I don't know about first fruit, but tithe is commended by Jesus

Is what your pastor sold to you
Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by Successdude(m): 2:02pm On Sep 01, 2019
VisioDirect:
This is the most appropriate way of explaining what giving to God means, you don’t take from people who has none to maintain private jets and live life of luxury. May this priest remain blessed beyond measure.
I say AMEN to that.

In the face of some of our pastors bullying us. I am shocked at the wave of some actions carried out from the pulpit. You wouldn't imagine one was saying out of the blues in one vigil like that, at the end of the vigil, that everyone should bring out #1000 each as a seed to activate bla bla bla ... u would think he would stop there he went further to add though with less serious tone "if you don't have, borrow from your neighbour"... But he wasn't joking with that ..I was shocked....

With my little knowledge of following Christ, I know better. These people have lost encounters , lost revival, lost what it means to walk with God and create disciples of men but are after money, money, money ....

Have you noticed that the Christianity we practice now ain't different from what a few top fathers of the 60s/70s have patterned their life to be of which is a great reveal of error somewhere : God gave the 'fathers' their respective vision what about the vision for those who call them their 'spiritual' fathers ?
That is lack of encounter playing out.

These guys have lost it. They preach Jesus and men. They want people to follow them.....

They have turned the gospel to dark undoubted business .... That's how this same man was openly and boldly saying in his preaching how "ministry is now a competitive thing... That If a pastor slacks another one will take his members"
. You can imagine

The members are docile beyond ordinary redemption ... As usual they will end their statement with tings like : am I not saying the truth or isn't it what is happening ....

And you hear the members echo : It Is !

These guys have lost it...

This man got me glued to the ground. It was touching.

1 Like

Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by JayB11(m): 2:14pm On Sep 01, 2019
VisioDirect:
This is the most appropriate way of explaining what giving to God means, you don’t take from people who has none to maintain private jets and live life of luxury. May this priest remain blessed beyond measure.
Exactly Sir, God doesn't take from us leaving us empty and struggling.
Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by Printerscanner: 2:33pm On Sep 01, 2019
newsynews:

Will you shut up.

What do you know about Christianity? It's not about money yet the Bible says we should honor God with the first fruits of all our substance?

You guys will just sit in one corner and start misleading people with stupid talks. One would think you know everything about the Bible.

Did you read the write up at all you are just constituting nuisance?
Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by olajigaolamide: 2:47pm On Sep 01, 2019
Nigeria is country of suffering. This Country has not served me or anybody well. I have never being happy as a Nigerian.
Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by alezzy13: 2:50pm On Sep 01, 2019

When He asked Abel and Cain to make a sacrifice to Him, it was not because he ate fruit or even drank blood of rams. It is simply to test how committed we are, how willing are we to leave everything to Him. Do we, like Cain, select offerings that we no longer desire and give to Him or do we, like Abel, empty everything to Him?

Powerful
Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by LadyExcellency: 2:58pm On Sep 01, 2019
GoodBoi1:
Why did Paul commend the Macedonian church for giving even out of their poverty?

2 Cor. 8:1-5
And now, brothers and sisters, we want you to know about the grace that God has given the Macedonian churches.
2 In the midst of a very severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity.
3 For I testify that they gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability. Entirely on their own,
4 they urgently pleaded with us for the privilege of sharing in this service to the Lord’s people.
5 And they exceeded our expectations: They gave themselves first of all to the Lord, and then by the will of God also to us.

Giving should be individualistic. To the needy in preference to the urgency of the need.

Pastors in need should be attended to not as if their reward is here on earth.

The fatherless and orphans are also a priority.

Giving in righteousness without expecting anything in return is very commendable and rewardable in heaven
Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by genkins(m): 3:06pm On Sep 01, 2019
Nodogragra4me:

Sheeple alert
Re: Rev Father Kelvin Ugwu: Understanding The Significance Of First Fruit And Tithes by GoodBoi1(m): 3:17pm On Sep 01, 2019
LadyExcellency:

Giving should be individualistic. To the needy in preference to the urgency of the need.

Pastors in need should be attended to not as if their reward is here on earth.

The fatherless and orphans are also a priority.

Giving in righteousness without expecting anything in return is very commendable and rewardable in heaven
So is it right to condemn "Pastor" Paul and call him greedy for receiving these givings knowing that these givers were in poverty?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Who's Your Favorite Gospel Artiste? / The Messages Of Grace And Hellfire: Which Has Had More Impact In Recent Times? / 20 Richest Pastors In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.