Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,574 members, 7,847,418 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 05:11 PM

RIPAN To Begin Sale Of Rice At N13,300 Per Bag - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / RIPAN To Begin Sale Of Rice At N13,300 Per Bag (30309 Views)

Customs Begins Sale Of Seized Food Items, To Sell Rice At N10,000 / National Convention: APC Fails To Begin Sale Of Forms, Aspirants Worry / Fashola: FG To Begin Sale Of New Houses Soon Nationwide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: RIPAN To Begin Sale Of Rice At N13,300 Per Bag by bewla(m): 8:52am On Sep 01, 2019
Simplyleo:
The earlier we come to terms with reality, the better for us as a nation. Whatever the prices at which foodstuffs are sold in the market today, following the present govt regulations on their importation, is the real situation of the market forces.

However, I still feel the govt regulation should be confined to forex rather than closing borders in addition. Source for your foreign currency outside the cbn, import whatever you want to import, pay the appropriate duties (done everywhere in the world), then bring the goods into the market for competition.

The other time, some illiterates were on buhari's neck for directing the cbn to stop giving food importers a cent, cos according to them, he has no business in the matters of the apex bank, wtf. Let's even not talk about how the cbn is subject to the regulations of the executive. Are these not the same stark illiterates blaming Buhari for increase in naira/dollars exchange rate? Is this done in aso rock?
No be Abuja but ifo market for rice
Re: RIPAN To Begin Sale Of Rice At N13,300 Per Bag by Nobody: 8:52am On Sep 01, 2019
sonnie10:
I ton (20 of 50kg) of rice is $150 in Thailand and India
Dollar at 355; $150 is about 53k naira.
Meaning 20bags is 53k. Therefore one bag is #2650.

My question is, do Nigeria farmers use gold as fertilizer for for their own rice? With the huge difference in price, the temptation to continue to import is very high.
You haven't added expenses incurred to get these your cheap bags of rice to Nigeria and then to the warehouse. These cost are added to the price. That said, foreign rice are sold in Nigeria currently from 19,000 to 20,000 depending on the type, while local rice like Mama's pride and co are sold from 16,500 and above and these local rice are very good. They should only try to reduce the price abit 'cause it's still high at 14k.
Re: RIPAN To Begin Sale Of Rice At N13,300 Per Bag by NnamdiKanu(m): 8:55am On Sep 01, 2019
Area4Area:
Where is your location because a 50kg bag of foreign rice goes for between 14,5k to 15,5k here in Onitsha, local rice is cheaper and tastier.

Oga is not true.. unless is been long u bought rice....

A bag of rice in onitsha is 17k now, aba is 17800, umuahia is 18k, owerri is 18500.. I am a rice dealer... Our local rice goes for aba 13500, umuahia 13800, owerri 14500
Re: RIPAN To Begin Sale Of Rice At N13,300 Per Bag by NnamdiKanu(m): 8:57am On Sep 01, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
You haven't added expenses incurred to get these your cheap bags of rice to Nigeria and then to the warehouse. These cost are added to the price. That said, foreign rice are sold in Nigeria currently from 19,000 to 20,000 depending on the type, while local rice like Mama's pride and co are sold from 16,500 and above and these local rice are very good. They should only try to reduce the price abit 'cause it's still high at 14k.
You aren't smart enough... He told u Thailand that manufactures rice sells cheap, why is our own that we manufacture here costly?
Re: RIPAN To Begin Sale Of Rice At N13,300 Per Bag by catherineokezie(f): 9:03am On Sep 01, 2019
bixton:

You are still living in a different country if the local rice around you is stony................
I have been buying and eating local rice free of stones for almost a year now.

B
Where is your location
Re: RIPAN To Begin Sale Of Rice At N13,300 Per Bag by Nigeriadondie: 9:17am On Sep 01, 2019
nicepoker101:
As long as beans is affordable. I don’t have any business with rice.
People should mark you cos na mess ur yansh go dey release
Re: RIPAN To Begin Sale Of Rice At N13,300 Per Bag by otokx(m): 9:18am On Sep 01, 2019
Our employer in the south gives us a 50kg bag of local rice all the way from Kebbi state every December. It is full of stones and sand, end up giving it all out.

Some of my colleagues still say it is good but others just give it out and go buy the foreign rice.

There is something about mediocrity in Nigeria, it is embraced with both hands, body and mind by many.
Re: RIPAN To Begin Sale Of Rice At N13,300 Per Bag by NOETHNICITY(m): 9:21am On Sep 01, 2019
sonnie10:

My question is, do Nigeria farmers use gold as fertilizer for for their own rice? With the huge difference in price, the temptation to continue to import is very high.
GMO comes in here

gmo boast productivity by almost 1000%

So are we ready to allow our farmers incoperate gmo?
Re: RIPAN To Begin Sale Of Rice At N13,300 Per Bag by Nobody: 9:23am On Sep 01, 2019
NnamdiKanu:

You aren't smart enough... He told u Thailand that manufactures rice sells cheap, why is our own that we manufacture here costly?
You're actually the dumb person here. If you ever did Economics, you would've understood that the cost of producing a particular thing could be high in one region(country) and low in another. When this happens, comparative cost advantages comes in. That is also a pointer that no Nation could do without export and import.

Please, don't quote me back.

2 Likes

Re: RIPAN To Begin Sale Of Rice At N13,300 Per Bag by Jaqenhghar: 9:24am On Sep 01, 2019
Simplyleo:
The earlier we come to terms with reality, the better for us as a nation. Whatever the prices at which foodstuffs are sold in the market today, following the present govt regulations on their importation, is the real situation of the market forces.

However, I still feel the govt regulation should be confined to forex rather than closing borders in addition. Source for your foreign currency outside the cbn, import whatever you want to import, pay the appropriate duties (done everywhere in the world), then bring the goods into the market for competition.

The other time, some illiterates were on buhari's neck for directing the cbn to stop giving food importers a cent, cos according to them, he has no business in the matters of the apex bank, wtf. Let's even not talk about how the cbn is subject to the regulations of the executive. Are these not the same stark illiterates blaming Buhari for increase in naira/dollars exchange rate? Is this done in aso rock?
If you were as literate as you claim to be you will know that when you really have the capacity to produce rice ( not talking or lying about it) and actually produce more than enough, anyone importing rice will jist be wasting his money. You dont have to force anything on anyone
Re: RIPAN To Begin Sale Of Rice At N13,300 Per Bag by NOETHNICITY(m): 9:26am On Sep 01, 2019
NnamdiKanu:

A bag of rice in onitsha is 17k now, aba is 17800, umuahia is 18k, owerri is 18500.. I am a rice dealer... Our local rice goes for aba 13500, umuahia 13800, owerri 14500
Bro, if local is cheaper in axis why then is foreign still more expensive?

I for one hate foreign rice? It's tasteless and there is the possibility of gmo
Re: RIPAN To Begin Sale Of Rice At N13,300 Per Bag by Simplyleo: 9:36am On Sep 01, 2019
Jaqenhghar:

If you were as literate as you claim to be you will know that when you really have the capacity to produce rice ( not talking or lying about it) and actually produce more than enough, anyone importing rice will jist be wasting his money. You dont have to force anything on anyone

And if you are literate enough to read and understand (which I strongly doubt), you would have understood the emboldened text in my comment repeated below.

Simplyleo:

Re: RIPAN To Begin Sale Of Rice At N13,300 Per Bag by paulemi(m): 9:56am On Sep 01, 2019
13k factory price is still expensive for locally produced rice. By the time it enters the market, prices could go as high as 15k -16k. If people are still going to be buying a bag of rice at 15k - 16k, then what's all the fuss about imported rice and local ones.

Seems to me like the only people set to benefit from this are the manufacturers. Already, they have association and have agreed on a fixed price to sell, so there actually won't be price competition.
Re: RIPAN To Begin Sale Of Rice At N13,300 Per Bag by Area4Area: 10:18am On Sep 01, 2019
sonnie10:

Oga, local rice planted in Nigeria is supposed to be cheaper than rice price in India and Thailand.
Nigeria has cheap land and labor, why is the price 13k
Are you trying to say that cost of production is cheaper in Nigeria when Thai and Indian producers have subsidies and more incentives than Nigeria?
Do we have good roads that farmers could easily transport their produce to the markets?
Re: RIPAN To Begin Sale Of Rice At N13,300 Per Bag by eagleeye2: 10:23am On Sep 01, 2019
sonnie10:

Truth is, they can't stop rice smuggling, because their huge profit to be made from it. Las las Nigerian custom is still corrupt.
Re: RIPAN To Begin Sale Of Rice At N13,300 Per Bag by Area4Area: 10:24am On Sep 01, 2019
bixton:

You are still living in a different country if the local rice around you is stony................
I have been buying and eating local rice free of stones for almost a year now.

Don't mind him, there's this brand of rice produced in Niger state, can't remember the name now, long grain and stone free, almost taste like basmati long grain rice and even sellers would tell you it is foreign local rice from Niger state.

1 Like

Re: RIPAN To Begin Sale Of Rice At N13,300 Per Bag by Jaqenhghar: 10:28am On Sep 01, 2019
Simplyleo:

And if you are literate enough to read and understand (which I strongly doubt), you would have understood the emboldened text in my comment repeated below.

If you were at all literate you will be more clearer and use fewer words.
Re: RIPAN To Begin Sale Of Rice At N13,300 Per Bag by Area4Area: 10:32am On Sep 01, 2019
uckennety:

Rubbish how is the UAE surviving?

Don't they import almost everything tax-free?
The UAE has more than enough dollars to cover for their imports of almost anything unlike us who don't have enough to even cover for essential medicines.
Re: RIPAN To Begin Sale Of Rice At N13,300 Per Bag by Simplyleo: 10:33am On Sep 01, 2019
Jaqenhghar:

If you were at all literate you will be more clearer and use fewer words.
Lol.

How is it my fault that you can't read and understand few sentences?
Re: RIPAN To Begin Sale Of Rice At N13,300 Per Bag by Area4Area: 10:37am On Sep 01, 2019
frowland:

We spend upwards of $40b on food importation annually and some people think this is OK. undecided
And most of those are things that can be produced here, we import apples, grapes and other fruits from South Africa and Spain but can you believe that those fruits can be grown around the Jos plateau and Mambila highlands in Taraba state?
Nigerians just love anything imported

1 Like

Re: RIPAN To Begin Sale Of Rice At N13,300 Per Bag by Area4Area: 10:47am On Sep 01, 2019
dan2976:

Importation is not bad as long as u know what u are doing. Please google it now. The largest economies in the world are the biggest importers of goods. Whether staple food or not. The resource deposits that God has blessed us with ensures Nigeria can generate revenue from mineral deposits exportation for the next 300years. Not including petroleum. We don't need to produce anything and with our proceeds can still import everything and still not suffer. Please google and see for yourself the kind of deposits we have. Countries in the Emirates import everything even water and they are still better than us.

We have a problem. America imports its staple food and still buys all the harvest from its farmers to ensure prices come down to the barest minimum. Buying from its farmers encourages them to farm and ensures all harvest is converted to cash for next season.. We don't have a consistent strategy.
Are those biggest economies and importers also the largest exporters? Japan, China, the US, Germany etc, can you tell us the value of their imports compared to their exports and juxtaposed to that of Nigeria.

The Emirates can decide to import air too because she has more than enough dollars to do so unlike us
Re: RIPAN To Begin Sale Of Rice At N13,300 Per Bag by Duggedised12(f): 10:52am On Sep 01, 2019
donbabajay:

In Lagos?
Benin
Re: RIPAN To Begin Sale Of Rice At N13,300 Per Bag by Area4Area: 10:53am On Sep 01, 2019
NnamdiKanu:

Ask around please
Re: RIPAN To Begin Sale Of Rice At N13,300 Per Bag by Duggedised12(f): 10:54am On Sep 01, 2019
Otunbascotty:
please which state is that?
Edo
Re: RIPAN To Begin Sale Of Rice At N13,300 Per Bag by Jaqenhghar: 11:21am On Sep 01, 2019
Simplyleo:

Lol.

How is it my fault that you can't read and understand few sentences?
That is few. SMH
Re: RIPAN To Begin Sale Of Rice At N13,300 Per Bag by uckennety(m): 11:23am On Sep 01, 2019
Area4Area:
The UAE has more than enough dollars to cover for their imports of almost anything unlike us who don't have enough to even cover for essential medicines.
Does UAE produce dollars ?

Their only export is crude oil
We v more crude than them and we sell more than them
Oga blame it on ur federal and state govt! Who loot our dollars and save it in foreign banks

Stop blaming mere food imports
Re: RIPAN To Begin Sale Of Rice At N13,300 Per Bag by Doyin2(m): 12:32pm On Sep 01, 2019
The association said the action of the government had suddenly returned life to the rice value chain, as the hitherto subdued mills have resumed operations within one week of the border closure

What a good news.

A good leader many times take unpopular but inevitable decisions.
Re: RIPAN To Begin Sale Of Rice At N13,300 Per Bag by lowaist101: 12:45pm On Sep 01, 2019
uckennety:

Rubbish how is the UAE surviving?

Don't they import almost everything tax-free?

Have u seen anyone that keeps buying alone without any other sources of income, and surviving?
Please think hard.
UAE is the second largest economy in the region and it has more more exports than imports.
pls investigate more before arguing and calling others rubbish!
Re: RIPAN To Begin Sale Of Rice At N13,300 Per Bag by bixton(m): 12:47pm On Sep 01, 2019
catherineokezie:

B
Where is your location

South South of the Ijaw nation.
Re: RIPAN To Begin Sale Of Rice At N13,300 Per Bag by bixton(m): 1:04pm On Sep 01, 2019
Area4Area:
Don't mind him, there's this brand of rice produced in Niger state, can't remember the name now, long grain and stone free, almost taste like basmati long grain rice and even sellers would tell you it is foreign local rice from Niger state.

That's nice.
I've not yet come across the local long grain. Please if you have any sample of the long grain can you put up a pix.
I've lived in makurdi, keffi and a little bit in jos and I've always eaten local rice free of stones.
Back in my native state, I've eaten same and they all taste nice if cooked properly.
Re: RIPAN To Begin Sale Of Rice At N13,300 Per Bag by Nobody: 1:13pm On Sep 01, 2019
Duggedised12:
Benin

Okay

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Wikipedia Locks Bola Tinubu's Page After It Is Attacked By Vandals / Dasuki’s Lawyer Links Jonathan To Arms Deal / Lagos House Of Assembly Dares Ambode, Orders PSP To Resume Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.