Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,839 members, 7,813,797 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:35 PM

Avoid Vitamin C When Taking Atimalarial Drugs? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Avoid Vitamin C When Taking Atimalarial Drugs? (716 Views)

What Is The Difference Between The White Vitamin C Tablets And The Orange Ones? / 9 Signs To Know That You Have Vitamin C Deficiency / Vitamin C For Acne – Here Is How Vitamin C Will Help You Overcome Acne (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Avoid Vitamin C When Taking Atimalarial Drugs? by zomoears(m): 3:16pm On Sep 01, 2019
So I visited my doctor for the 3rd time in 4 weeks, and after tests, he wrote out prescription for antimalarial drugs. For the 3rd time in a month!

Of course I objected, telling him I have treated malaria in August twice already. Of course he was aware, cos he knew of my previous visits. He asked me to avoid alcohol this time for atleast a week during and after treatment. I protested, telling him that l have not taken alcohol in 5 weeks. Infact, I take home made orange juice almost daily and take it with me even when I have to hang out with friends.

Aha! There in lies the problem, he says. Vitamin C according to him, had a negative effect on the drugs I was taking, rendering them less effective and less potent. How? He did not explain, but he told me to avoid Vitamin c in the he duration of my treatment.

Doctors in the house. Why is it so?
Re: Avoid Vitamin C When Taking Atimalarial Drugs? by Ayetobi92: 3:42pm On Sep 01, 2019
The simple explanation I can give is that oranges contain vitamin C which s an antioxidant and antioxidants generally function by moping up free radicals which are injurious to the body cells. These free radicals are however toxic to the malaria parasites in the body and are also formed from red blood cells through the use of your regular ACTs antimalarials

Therefore taking vitc while on ACT is like fire and water which eventually leads to zero effect because the free radicals that are learnt to kill the parasite in the body has been moped up by the vit c

1 Like

Re: Avoid Vitamin C When Taking Atimalarial Drugs? by dangoteinlaw: 3:44pm On Sep 01, 2019
That's how all these doctors and chemists will be doing trial and error with someones life, some are like Pastors. Once u mention something they use that thing as an excuse. If you weren't taking oranges now they will complain u aren't taking enough fruits lol
Re: Avoid Vitamin C When Taking Atimalarial Drugs? by zomoears(m): 6:35pm On Sep 01, 2019
Ayetobi92:
The simple explanation I can give is that oranges contain vitamin C which s an antioxidant and antioxidants generally function by moping up free radicals which are injurious to the body cells. These free radicals are however toxic to the malaria parasites in the body and are also formed from red blood cells through the use of your regular ACTs antimalarials

Therefore taking vitc while on ACT is like fire and water which eventually leads to zero effect because the free radicals that are learnt to kill the parasite in the body has been moped up by the vit c

Thanks for your response.

So what happened to the argument that vitamin c boosts immunity?
Re: Avoid Vitamin C When Taking Atimalarial Drugs? by Ayetobi92: 6:45pm On Sep 01, 2019
zomoears:

Thanks for your response.

So what happened to the argument that vitamin c boosts immunity?
There is nothing wrong with the argument, only that the most ACT antimalarials have a course of three days and vitamin c intake will only need to be avoided for just this 3days to avoid the drug-drug interaction

(1) (Reply)

World Most Fertile Woman With 44 Children Stopped From Having More / Jigsimur, Superdose, Nonisteen And Javavirco For Viral And Chronic Infections / Corona Virus M95 M3 Facemask And Other Protective Gear Available For Bulk Sales

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.