Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,501 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:41 AM

Help On P0456 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help On P0456 (1590 Views)

Help!help!! On My ES350 / Pls I Need Help On Break Issues / Need Help On The Type Of Mobile Oil To Use On My Avalon 2002 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help On P0456 by Mynewdawn15: 9:41am On Sep 02, 2019
Good Morning All and Happy new month.

For a while now I have been battling with this code on my 2007 Toyota Camry I4

P0456 evaporative emission, small Leak detected.

I have changed fuel tank cap, checked the purge valve close to the air box for leak but none.

Please anyone who have encountered this and got it resolved should help.

Thanks in Anticipation
Re: Help On P0456 by Mynewdawn15: 9:45am On Sep 02, 2019
GAZZUZZ
TRYGO
KINGREIGN
RADAUTOWORKS
NUREY
MAYOR2013
VALARINZ
IKENNA351
Re: Help On P0456 by valarinz: 9:57am On Sep 02, 2019
Mynewdawn15:
GAZZUZZ
TRYGO
KINGREIGN
RADAUTOWORKS
NUREY
MAYOR2013
VALARINZ
IKENNA351

Is it a volvo?
Re: Help On P0456 by Mynewdawn15: 10:01am On Sep 02, 2019
valarinz:

Is it a volvo?

No.
It's a Camry (07)
Re: Help On P0456 by Recxzy019: 10:11am On Sep 02, 2019
Check the thermostat. Get a meter and read if the two pins inside the thermostat socket is working.
If its not that, then check the airflow socket. Trace each wires and check for breaches.
God help us
Re: Help On P0456 by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:18am On Sep 02, 2019
Recxzy019:
Check the thermostat. Get a meter and read if the two pins inside the thermostat socket is working.
If its not that, then check the airflow socket. Trace each wires and check for breaches.
God help us

Kazeem baba

2 Likes

Re: Help On P0456 by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:16am On Sep 02, 2019
Mynewdawn15:

I have changed fuel tank cap, checked the purge valve close to the air box for leak but none.

Thanks in Anticipation

it's a small leak, find small leak .

Usual suspects Kazeem did not install fuelpump properly
Re: Help On P0456 by valarinz: 11:25am On Sep 02, 2019
Recxzy019:
God help us

Is that so? undecided lipsrsealed angry sad

3 Likes

Re: Help On P0456 by Mynewdawn15: 11:40am On Sep 02, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

it's a small leak, find small leak .

Usual suspects Kazeem did not install fuelpump properly

Thanks.

I will do that, though the last time I worked on my fuel pump (cleaned the filter) is February this year.

This code just came up a month ago.
Re: Help On P0456 by Whynow(m): 1:33pm On Sep 02, 2019
Check if the tube(hose) behind the air filter box that goes all the way to the charcoal canister is disconnected.
Happened to me sometime ago..
Re: Help On P0456 by TRYGO(m): 7:35pm On Sep 02, 2019
Just as the code description, its a SMALL LEAK.
Some fee questions for you.
1. Do you perceived any fuel vapour odours in the car (the cabin)?

2. Last time you worked on the fuel pump location, did you properly seal the O ring that attached to the fuel pump assembly, as in the fig below I have for this highlander?

3. As regards replacing the fuel pump and fuel cap cover, what else have you done.?

4. Can you give a historical background to the precursor of this problem?

Was it after the fuel pump was worked upon, or has any job being done recently on the intake manifold area at the engine?

So back to the OPs dilemma.
My take is that your charcoal canister, which is part of the evaporative emissions system, maybe leaking already (its a kind of plastic assembly, with bunch of charcoals in it to helped in the purification of fuel vapours.

So if that plastic has even a micro crack, the ECU on your car would register this as a fault, after running vacuum tests on the canister, via the purge valves.

What you should do:
1. Check the canister, if its something that is easily accessible by you.
On some vehicles, its under the rear side of the car, just behind the driver side.
Although checking for a micro crack, would be a herculean tasks for you.
If it checks fine, then your next step should be,
2. Checking all the plumbing from that canister, fright to the intake manifold.
One or all of the pipes may have ruptured.

3. As long as you don't perceive any fuel vapours, then, I'd suggests you forget about this code.
It does not affect the performance of the car.

Note: If this were to be in advanced societies where emissions tests are the norm, your car wouldn't pass any of those tests. But you well know that Nigeria isn't interested in the environment right. Priority tight now, has always being economy.

I hope this small piece, would give you some leeway in solving this issue.

Regards,
Joseph (08066643532:call/WhatsApp)
DW Nig Ltd
Isolo,
Lagos
Re: Help On P0456 by TRYGO(m): 7:38pm On Sep 02, 2019
Take a look at the black rubber O ring that encircled the white plastic.
That the fuel pump rubber . If it was not properly aligned with the tank, fuel vapour would fill up everywhere in the car.

Re: Help On P0456 by Mynewdawn15: 8:19pm On Sep 02, 2019
@ TRYGO .

Thanks. I appreciate your detailed response.

I have tried accessing the charcoal canister, it's under the back seat, no full access and I wouldn't want to involve my Mechanic (don't want to complicate issues for myself), though I have traced the piping down to the intake manifold, no leak, constructed a Smoke test machine (video on Utube using bicycle pump), no smoke whatsoever leaking from anywhere.

Probably I will have the o-ring around the fuel pump checked, though as I said earlier the fuel pump was worked on in February and after that no P0456 codes and Evap Emission test passed (ELM OBDII scanner) until recently that the code pulp up.

I started seeing the code when I told my Mechanic to service my injector nozzle.
No recent work on the intake manifold.

I don't perceive any fuel smell in the cabin whenever I drive.
Re: Help On P0456 by TRYGO(m): 9:31pm On Sep 02, 2019
I think we've gotten a clue here now. This code popped up only when the injectors were serviced. Appears you have to concentrate your diagnosis there.
Re: Help On P0456 by autologic: 12:14am On Sep 03, 2019
Evap leak tracing is hard nut to crack especially if it is a small leak and to perform this troubleshooting you need the following tools
1.Evap routing diagram of the car in question:This will give u direction of what to trace.
2 Bidirectional scanner : To actuate the VSV ( vacuum switching valve and achieve a close loop within the evap route
3.Professional smoke machine with considering psi :To trace out the leak
4. handheld vacuum pump : to troubleshoot the individual VSV cos it might just be a stuck open vsv .
Armed with all these ,you are already a winner . cool cool
Let me search tru archive of autologic case studies to demonstrate how you successfully troubleshoot evap leak . Stay tuned cool
Re: Help On P0456 by radautoworks: 4:03am On Sep 03, 2019
Mynewdawn15:

Thanks in Anticipation

Did you check the fuel tank itself? He might have cracked it trying to fix the pump. Even a micro-crack it chip could set it off.
Re: Help On P0456 by thebigkendo(m): 6:47am On Sep 03, 2019
autologic:
Evap leak tracing is hard nut to crack especially if it is a small leak and to perform this troubleshooting you need the following tools
1.Evap routing diagram of the car in question:This will give u direction of what to trace.
2 Bidirectional scanner : To actuate the VSV ( vacuum switching valve and achieve a close loop within the evap route
3.Professional smoke machine with considering psi: To trace out the leak
4. handheld vacuum pump: to troubleshoot the individual VSV cos it might just be a stuck open vsv .
Armed with all these ,you are already a winner . cool cool
Let me search tru archive of autologic
Daunting case studies to demonstrate how you successfully troubleshoot evap leak . Stay tuned cool

Fixed grin
Re: Help On P0456 by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:54am On Sep 03, 2019

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Lexus LS The Greatest Sedan Luxury Ever Made. More Facts About Lexus LS / I Just Bought A Used Lexus Is 250 2006... / Toks Lexus GS300 2006 For Sale At 2.6m Buzz In Need

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.