Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,730 members, 7,820,525 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:29 PM

Supreme Court Dismiss Appeal Challenging Buhari’s Academic Qualifications - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Supreme Court Dismiss Appeal Challenging Buhari’s Academic Qualifications (21967 Views)

Why We Dismissed Atiku’s Petition Challenging Buhari In Its Entirety - Tribunal / Appeal Court Dismisses Suit Challenging Buhari's Educational Qualification / Obasanjo: Those Discouraging Atiku From Challenging Buhari In Court Are Evil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Supreme Court Dismiss Appeal Challenging Buhari’s Academic Qualifications by IGBOGENE27(m): 11:28pm On Sep 02, 2019
Na so, as expected.
Re: Supreme Court Dismiss Appeal Challenging Buhari’s Academic Qualifications by ejimatic: 8:04am On Sep 03, 2019
tomakint:
The Supreme Court on Monday dismissed the appeal seeking the disqualification of President Muhammadu Buhari in the 2019 presidential poll over alleged act of perjury.
The appellants, Kalu Kalu, Labaran Ismail and Hassy El-Kuris had approached the Supreme Court to nullify the candidacy of President Buhari in the just concluded presidential poll over allegations of perjury.
However, the apex court dismissed the appeal and upheld the decision of the Court of Appeal to the effect that it was statute barred and as such cannot be heard.
The appellants specifically wants Buhari’s nomination and subsequent victory at the February 23 presidential election nullified on the grounds that President Buhari lied on oath in his form CF
001 he submitted to INEC for the purpose of clearance for the presidential election.
In the Notice of Appeal marked: CA/A/436/2019, the appellants are asking the apex court for an Order to set aside the judgment of the Court of Appeal and hear the matter on merit and grant the reliefs sought in the Originating Summons.
The Court of Appeal in a unanimous judgment delivered by Justice Mohammed Idris, had on July 12, 2019, held that the singular fact that the suit was filed outside the 14 days provided by the law robbed the court of jurisdiction to entertain the suit.
The suit was accordingly dismissed for being incompetent and lacking in merit.
Details later

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/breaking-supreme-court-dismiss-appeal-challenging-buharis-academic-qualification/
. By extension One of the Atiku's issues has been decided.Buhari's qualification is status barred among many other reasons.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Dismiss Appeal Challenging Buhari’s Academic Qualifications by garfield1: 9:28am On Sep 03, 2019
ejimatic:
. By extension One of the Atiku's issues has been decided.Buhari's qualification is status barred among many other reasons.
Are you not mistaken because am thinking that qualification is both a civil and election petition matter.according to the electoral act,non qualification is a ground for challenging an election.again,i think a few cases at the ongoing election tribunals have been decided based on educstional qualifications.i stand to be corrected though.cc wirinet,zoedew
Re: Supreme Court Dismiss Appeal Challenging Buhari’s Academic Qualifications by Djrufus: 10:27am On Sep 03, 2019
garfield1:

Are you not mistaken because am thinking that qualification is both a civil and election petition matter.according to the electoral act,non qualification is a ground for challenging an election.again,i think a few cases at the ongoing election tribunals have been decided based on educstional qualifications.i stand to be corrected though.cc wirinet,zoedew
u are absolutely correct. The truth is non qualification is both pre and post election case depending on when and which court is entertaining the suit. If an aspirant files a non qualification suit against another aspirant before the election he/she must do that within 14days from the cause of the event in a high court or court of corresponding jurisdiction. If the 14days elapse before filing the suit, then the suit is termed statute-barred" because its a pre election suit". Once the 14days window elapse, the best option is to file the suit at the ELECTION TRIBUNAL which is the only court empowered to trial a POST ELECTION CASE

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Dismiss Appeal Challenging Buhari’s Academic Qualifications by cmikel: 11:05am On Sep 03, 2019
A

SYSTEM

OF

ANIMALS

THAT ONLY THINK OF WHAT TO EAT TODAY ALONE

IF THEY CAN FEED WELL TODAY THEN THEY DONT CARE ABOUT TOMORW

THAT IS WHY YOU ARE TREATED LIKE ANIMALS WITHOUT ANY RESPPECT ABROAD
Re: Supreme Court Dismiss Appeal Challenging Buhari’s Academic Qualifications by Yusman316(m): 11:30am On Sep 03, 2019
Ojiofor:

Do you need a mirrow to take a look at your wrist watch?
It was so obvious from Lagos where PDP supporters was not allowed to vote to Northern Nigeria where votes was inflated to favour Buhari.
Did PDP supporters wear PDP regalia to polling units to vote? How were they identified as PDP supporters, hence prevented to vote?
Bro do ur research, the votes Buhari got from the north in 2019 election, is the same number of votes he has always gotten from the north, even as an opposition

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Dismiss Appeal Challenging Buhari’s Academic Qualifications by garfield1: 11:31am On Sep 03, 2019
Djrufus:
u are absolutely correct. The truth is non qualification is both pre and post election case depending on when and which court is entertaining the suit. If an aspirant files a non qualification suit against another aspirant before the election he/she must do that within 14days from the cause of the event in a high court or court of corresponding jurisdiction. If the 14days elapse before filing the suit, then the suit is termed statute-barred" because its a pre election suit". Once the 14days window elapse, the best option is to file the suit at the ELECTION TRIBUNAL which is the only court empowered to trial a POST ELECTION CASE
But i feel that tribunals should deal with matters happening on the days of election until the declaration.lets see what will happen sha
Re: Supreme Court Dismiss Appeal Challenging Buhari’s Academic Qualifications by ejimatic: 2:00pm On Sep 03, 2019
garfield1:

The appellant said Buhari lied on oath.....It is a pre election matter which mist must be challenged before the election.On the other hand , he had no certificate or used fake certificate required by the law can be challenged anytime.... In the case decided yesterday the appellants claimed Buhati lied on oath about his certificate.This was decided as status barred...Same will apply to Atikus case....As whether he has o level or its equivalents as outlined in the electoral act and constitution.. the PEPT will make a judgement on that.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Dismiss Appeal Challenging Buhari’s Academic Qualifications by Ojiofor: 3:00pm On Sep 03, 2019
Yusman316:

Did PDP supporters wear PDP regalia to polling units to vote? How were they identified as PDP supporters, hence prevented to vote?
Bro do ur research, the votes Buhari got from the north in 2019 election, is the same number of votes he has always gotten from the north, even as an opposition

Election has come and gone this is time for us as citizens to enjoy dividends of democracy, are we enjoying or are we still suffering?
That is the question. I do not belong to any political party, I am just a concerned citizen. We should be honest to ourselves.
Re: Supreme Court Dismiss Appeal Challenging Buhari’s Academic Qualifications by garfield1: 3:55pm On Sep 03, 2019
ejimatic:
The appellant said Buhari lied on oath.....It is a pre election matter which mist must be challenged before the election.On the other hand , he had no certificate or used fake certificate required by the law can be challenged anytime.... In the case decided yesterday the appellants claimed Buhati lied on oath about his certificate.This was decided as status barred...Same will apply to Atikus case....As whether he has o level or its equivalents as outlined in the electoral act and constitution.. the PEPT will make a judgement on that.
Ok,i now understand the difference.the allegation about false claims was about the about the 2015 polls not this 2019 so its pre- election
Re: Supreme Court Dismiss Appeal Challenging Buhari’s Academic Qualifications by ejimatic: 4:26pm On Sep 03, 2019
garfield1:

Ok,i now understand the difference.the allegation about false claims was about the about the 2015 polls not this 2019 so its pre- election
. Same appliee to 2019...perjury or false oath must be challenged about 14 days bfr election not after election or when winner has been declared
Re: Supreme Court Dismiss Appeal Challenging Buhari’s Academic Qualifications by etimocity(m): 5:18pm On Sep 03, 2019
nice development, atiku is coming.
Re: Supreme Court Dismiss Appeal Challenging Buhari’s Academic Qualifications by Djrufus: 10:21pm On Sep 03, 2019
ejimatic:
. Same appliee to 2019...perjury or false oath must be challenged about 14 days bfr election not after election or when winner has been declared
that is not true, read the five grounds on which election can be questioned according to the electoral act section 138 (1) 2010 amended 2015. False information in a form cf001 has now been added as a post election suit at the tribunal. Beside the recent judgement of the supreme court led to sack of a senator on false information on is form cf001 , where he falsify his age in other to be qualified

Re: Supreme Court Dismiss Appeal Challenging Buhari’s Academic Qualifications by Yusman316(m): 10:25pm On Sep 03, 2019
Ojiofor:

Election has come and gone this is time for us as citizens to enjoy dividends of democracy, are we enjoying or are we still suffering?
That is the question. I do not belong to any political party, I am just a concerned citizen. We should be honest to ourselves.
Bro I also do not belong to any political party. Truth be told, Nigerians were suffering before Buhari came along as President. No infrastructural development since we returned to democracy in 1999. Buhari's crime as it where is many believed he will make things better. But at the moment there is no end in sight to the suffering. He is the head no doubt, so the chunk of the blame lies with him. But we all share a collective responsibility one way or another

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Dismiss Appeal Challenging Buhari’s Academic Qualifications by Ojiofor: 10:30pm On Sep 03, 2019
Yusman316:

Bro I also do not belong to any political party. Truth be told, Nigerians were suffering before Buhari came along as President. No infrastructural development since we returned to democracy in 1999. Buhari's crime as it where is many believed he will make things better. But at the moment there is no end in sight to the suffering. He is the head no doubt, so the chunk of the blame lies with him. But we all share a collective responsibility one way or another

I hear you loud bro.May God help the helpless citizens of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Dismiss Appeal Challenging Buhari’s Academic Qualifications by ejimatic: 5:22am On Sep 04, 2019
Djrufus:
that is not true, read the five grounds on which election can be questioned according to the electoral act section 138 (1) 2010 amended 2015. False information in a form cf001 has now been added as a post election suit at the tribunal. Beside the recent judgement of the supreme court led to sack of a senator on false information on is form cf001 , where he falsify his age in other to be qualified
. Thank you. noted and right..what about location of certificate?That implies that there is a limit to application of perjury as a post election matter...It is my opinion anyway.
Re: Supreme Court Dismiss Appeal Challenging Buhari’s Academic Qualifications by agabusta: 8:16am On Sep 04, 2019
ejimatic:
. By extension One of the Atiku's issues has been decided. Buhari's qualification is status barred among many other reasons.

Can it be status barred despite that the substansive matter was not considered?
Re: Supreme Court Dismiss Appeal Challenging Buhari’s Academic Qualifications by ejimatic: 8:45am On Sep 04, 2019
agabusta:

Can it be status barred despite that the substansive matter was not considered?

perjury on genuineness of certificate or age declaration is a post election matter but on location of certification is a preelection matter and therefore is status barred...
Re: Supreme Court Dismiss Appeal Challenging Buhari’s Academic Qualifications by Yusman316(m): 9:56am On Sep 04, 2019
Ojiofor:

I hear you loud bro.May God help the helpless citizens of Nigeria.
Amen my brother

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Interior Ministry: The Situation At The Ikoyi Custodial Centre Is Under Control / ADP, LP Win Senate, Reps Rerun Elections In Plateau / Home Of Dr. Orji Uzor Kalu Shutdown Today See Why

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.