Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,918 members, 7,835,067 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:59 AM

White Man In Town (chapter Twenty Three) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / White Man In Town (chapter Twenty Three) (316 Views)

The Suave Man In Lagos Drives A Range Rover But Is Penniless- Chimamanda Adichie / White Man In Town / The Woman Caught Breastfeeding Man In Prison. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

White Man In Town (chapter Twenty Three) by DODO005: 11:54am On Sep 03, 2019
CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

Colour stepped out of the cozy elevator leading to the sixth floor inside the Nigerian Communications Commission’s (NCC) corporate headquarters, along Ademola Adetokunbo way, in the Central Business District of Abuja. He noted that out of the five passengers inside the elevator only he and a white man in blue shirt and blue suit got out on the sixth floor. He also noted that the white guy who appears to be in his early thirties was occasionally stealing some curious glances at him. He had actually caught his scrutinizing eyes inside the elevator. He decided to stare capriciously back at him, and then grinned. To his surprise the white guy grinned back and then looked away.

“Hey! Mister, do you work here?’” The white man suddenly asked as they moved away from the elevator.

They both paused by the empty corridor and stared at each other curiously, each scrutinizing the other.

“No, I am a visitor.” Colour finally replied with a smile, his teeth chewed slowly on the gum in his mouth.

“ Oh, I see. Sorry to bother you then.’ KS apologized and then shuttled towards one of the offices along the rugged corridor. He randomly glanced at the tags on the doors and then finally paused by one of the doors at the far end. He nodded to himself, rapped on the door, pushed the handle and then stepped into the office.

Colour watched him silently, shrugged, and also made his way to the same office. He paused by the door, knocked twice and also stepped into the office shutting the door behind him. Ken Solomon who was in the middle of explaining himself to a chubby looking personal assistant behind a flat screen computer paused and glanced surprisingly at him. Colour nodded at him and dropped himself onto one of the empty leather seats in the tidy looking office. The P.A, a young looking chubby woman in rim glasses stared confusingly at both of them, and then turned her attention back to KS.

“Sorry, the Head of Cooperate Affairs is not on seat today.” she told him with a bird like voice and something that looked like a smile appeared on her chubby looking face.

“ So when can I see him? It ‘s important I see him.” KS told her and gave her one of his best smiles.

“ I understand.. But are you on an appointment, sir?”

“Not really. Something just came up urgently that needs his attention.” KS replied with a smile half glancing at Colour whose head was now buried behind one of the magazines in the office and pretended to be reading. KS had the feeling the guy had ears on their conversations. And true to his thinking Colour suddenly dropped the magazine, and pushed himself up.

“Hello, Anty, you mean we can’t see the HCA today?” He asked her smiling at both of them.

“ No, from where? The lady asked now scrutinizing Colour properly.

“Sorry, I am from One-Naija. I am here to see the Head, Cooperate Affairs, for some business discussion.” He announced proudly with his trade mark smile.

Ken Solomon listened attentively to their conversation and then suddenly became alert. He threw Colour a casual glance and stared more curiously at him. The name ‘ Naija’ swiftly jotted his memory and pricked his brain like a sharp pin. He stared more critically at the young Nigerian with a confident, carefree attitude and many questions raced through his suspicious mind. Could this be his lucky break? Could this confident speaking guy be part of the faceless fraudsters that duped him? Was he part of the clique at Naija-Phones that had suckered him and forced him to run away from his fame and fortune? Part of the same ‘Naija’ cliques siphoning millions of dollars from suckers like him everyday across the globe? Or could this be just a coincidence? These were part of the many questions that raced through his mind as he stared once more at Colour who at that moment glanced at his watch and then slowly pushed himself up from his seat and headed for the door with a confident attitude that fascinated KS with confusion.

“ Well, thank you, Anty. I will check back next week.” He said, smiled at both of them, opened the door and eased himself out of the office.

Ken Solomon did not want to let an opportunity slip out of his hands, so he hurriedly excused himself, grabbed his bag, and then hurried after Colour to the bewilderment of the P.A who stared confusingly at the closed door.

Meanwhile Colour who was still chewing his gum was just about to board one of the elevators when KS rushed out of the office frantically and confronted him by the door.

“ Hey, Mister, Just a minute.” KS called out after him.

Colour was halfway into the elevator already with two other passengers, a young lady, and a slim tall guy in suit. They both stared curiously at him and then made room for him. They then stared amusingly at a fast-breathing Ken Solomon as he rushed into the elevator just on time. The doors shut back and they descended swiftly towards the ground floor.

Colour astonished by the rush, stared quietly at KS who nodded at him with a smile. He nodded back and then smiled away thoughtfully. Many questions begin to build on his mind. But he decided to keep his cool, and play along silently. They both ignored the two other passengers who kept staring at them curiously, especially at Ken Solomon who strengthened his cloth and smiled broadly at them. The elevator finally came to a stop at the ground floor and they all piled out silently. The female passenger once more stared intently at both of them and then followed her companion out of the building the curious look on her painted face trailed after her.

Colour made his way out of the building aware that the white man was still tagging along behind him. He paused abruptly and smiled up at KS with a curious look.

“Yes, what can I do for you White One?” He asked his eyes scrutinizing him.

“Thank you. I am Richard Edward. Mind if I grab few minutes of your time for some discussion?” Ken Solomon requested his smile broader now.

Colour stared thoughtfully at him and then glanced at his watch. “Discussion, about what?” he finally asked with a curious look.

“About your outfit, Naija-Phones” KS responded slowly, his blue eyes closely monitoring his reaction.

Colour stared thoughtfully at him again and then grinned. “Oh, you mean One-Naija.” He responded confidently.

“Yeah, Naija-Phones or is it One-Naija now?” KS persisted innocently.

“No, nothing like that, it has always been One-Naija. It is actually an NGO. Not Naija-Phones. We’ve got nothing to do with phone business.
You want to join us or what?” Colour asked jokingly.

“But, I am already part of you. Remember?” Ken Solomon responded with a smile.

“Really, then how come we never met? I am supposed to be the founder and coordinator anyway.” Colour continued with a mockery grin.

“Maybe your other colleagues refused to put you in the picture.” KS insisted still smiling.

Colour at this stage suddenly stopped smiling and stared more curiously at the white man before him.

“Excuse me. What exactly are you talking about here?” He asked with a serious tone.

Ken Solomon, who was good at reading people, swiftly had the feeling he was speaking with the wrong guy. But, he still had a strong hunch that the guy might somehow give him a clue or lead him to his faceless illicit business partners. So he resolved to stick to him and pressed on his secret interrogation.

“I am talking about Naija-Phones. Are you not part of them? I mean that big mobile telecommunication company in your country. I believe you’re a Nigerian?” He asked with a thin grin his eyes never leaving Colour for a second.

“Of course, I am a full blooded Nigerian and very proud to be a Naija Boy.” Colour responded smiling at two young ladies on their way out.

“Yes, Naija Boy, part of Naija-Phones I guess?” KS responded sarcastically.

“Colour stared strangely at him, noted his remarks, and then burst into laugh.

“ Mr. Richard or Mr. Edward, whatever you say is your name. I don’t really know what you’re talking about. Sorry, you’re speaking with the wrong guy.” He said, glanced at his watch once more, and then moved away from him. “Friday is a short working day in my country, and time is precious to me. I have to catch up with other runs.” He added and continued towards the exit.

Ken Solomon stared quizzically at him, shrugged and then went after him.

Colour, who was still confused with their little confrontation, shook his head, smiled and then headed towards his parked beetle now a bit refurbished after spending almost three weeks with his mechanic. He paused by the car, opened the door and was about to drop his frame into the driver’s seat when he noticed Ken Solomon dashing towards him with his trade mark smile, something Colour had noted about him within the few minutes they met.

“Hey! Excuse me. You forgot to tell me your name.” KS said, as he rested his frame close to the beetle, his blue eyes stared admiringly at the classic car. He ignored his cab driver who was staring strangely at them.

“Oh! Agro. Wetin again?” Colour swore silently in pidgin.

“Nice classic car you’ve got here. I have one myself back in the states, resting peacefully in my car archive. I love cars. Good beautiful cars.” KS continued, his eyes still admiring the newly painted beetle.

“Thank you White one. My name is Colour, so what exactly do you want to know again? I guess you didn’t just follow me here to admire my car?” Colour told him, still holding his door half opened.

Ken Solomon stared thoughtfully at him for some seconds, deliberated over his name and then smiled up broadly at him.
‘’ Color, cool name, so what color are you? I can see you are a black man,’’ He said and then chuckled.

‘’ I am every colour, I blend smoothly like the Chameleon and do my things straight,’’ Colour told him and then laughed.

“Yes, I think you’re right. I guess I was wrong about you. My name is Richard Edward. You see, I am a stranger. I mean, I am just a blind white man in town.” KS confessed, still smiling. “And honestly, I won’t mind having someone like you show me around.” He paused to study
Colour who stared back silently at him and then continued. “I was just wondering if you can spare out of your precious time for a lunch tomorrow.”

Colour stared thoughtfully at him for some seconds and suddenly ruptured into laugh.

“No wahala white man, I like your frankness. As they say: ‘ a stranger always has big eyes, but sees nothing’. Okay, where do we eat?” He asked still laughing.

www.okadabooks.com
www.amazon.com

(1) (Reply)

Some "Impossibles" Of The World / White Man In Town (chapter Thirty Six) / Professional SEO Content Writer Needed Urgently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.