Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:57 AM

Xenophobia: ‘Act Now Or Have Yourself To Blame', Minister Tells S’African Govt - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Xenophobia: ‘Act Now Or Have Yourself To Blame', Minister Tells S’African Govt (26921 Views)

Xenophobia: S’African Envoy Meets Buhari, Apologizes To Nigeria (Photos) / Cash-strapped PDP Now Resorting To S’african Drug Dealers For Funding - Nabena / Buhari’s Govt Ignored Intelligence Warnings About Boko Haram, Says S’african Mer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Xenophobia: ‘Act Now Or Have Yourself To Blame', Minister Tells S’African Govt by Ikpeazukerosene: 5:23am On Sep 04, 2019
[s]
Emecunze:
Some Nigerians are hypocrites oo

We kill each other on daily basis in the country(boko Haram, killer herdsmen, kidnapping, arm robbers, yahoo etc) and we all pretend as if is none of our business.. but because of the one happening in South Africa, we want the entire world to hear us!!!

When you don't value your own lives..how then do you want others to value you
*abegi*
[/s]

If your life is five for a kobo and they can wipe you out without consequences, that's your family misfortune. But for outsiders to kill other Nigerians without consequences, mba.
Re: Xenophobia: ‘Act Now Or Have Yourself To Blame', Minister Tells S’African Govt by Rexnegro(m): 5:23am On Sep 04, 2019
South Africans are displaying ungratefulness and it will sooner or later bounce on them
Re: Xenophobia: ‘Act Now Or Have Yourself To Blame', Minister Tells S’African Govt by anonimi: 5:24am On Sep 04, 2019
post=81901372:
And if they refused to talk it is you and your ilks that will be crying they are saying nothing.
We know the people that are really pained by this evil xenophobic issues, not charlatans that have been praying for unrest in the country since 2015.
Shame!

What have the talks achieved?
That is the koko of the matter, Oga suya seller.
If people are praying for unrest, why is your tin god of Aso Rock not working to make the prayers unanswered?
Is he truly incompetent
In 2012, for less infraction, our government made the South Africans stop their nonsense and beg for forgiveness from us publicly. That is talk that yields positive action/result.
When you have a government that cares for all its people instead of dividing them into 97% versus 5%, foreigners respect its citizens.

South Africa apologies to Nigeria over yellow fever row
8 March 2012

South Africa has apologised for the deportation last week of 125 Nigerians over suspicions that their yellow fever certificates were fake.

The action quickly turned into a diplomatic spat - with Nigeria refusing South Africans entry and the foreign minister branding Pretoria xenophobic.

South Africa has rejected that claim - and promised new procedures to avoid a repeat of the "regrettable incident".

At one stage Nigerian carrier, Arik Air, suspended flights to South Africa.

Yellow fever is spread through infected mosquitoes and has a wide array of symptoms from nausea and vomiting to kidney failure, jaundice and bleeding.

According to the UN World Health Organization, about half those who develop severe symptoms of the haemorrhagic illness and are untreated die from the disease - about 30,000 people each year worldwide.

'Regrettable incident'
"We wish to humbly apologise to them, and we have," South Africa's Deputy Foreign Minister Ibrahim Ibrahim said.

"We are apologising because we deported a number of people who should not have been deported," Mr Ibrahim said - adding that he does not expect an apology from Nigeria for the tit-for-tat deportations of South African nationals.

He blamed airport authorities for what a joint statement with Nigeria described as a "regrettable incident which the South African government believes could have been handled better".

The Nigerians were turned away on 2 March because the yellow fever certificates were not check properly, according to the deputy minister.

South Africa is considering reopening a travel clinic at Johannesburg's airport - so that travellers without a yellow fever certificate can be vaccinated on arrival rather than deported.

And from now on, mass deportations will need the permission of foreign ministry officials, the deputy minister said.

On Tuesday, Olugbenga Ashiru, Nigeria's foreign minister, said the deportations was evidence of xenophobia.

"What you see playing out is what we call xenophobia by South Africans against all Africans - not just Nigerians," AFP news agency reported him as saying.

In 2008, South Africa saw a wave of xenophobic violence which shocked the nation and shook up the world's view of the "rainbow nation".

Mr Ibrahim said on Thursday that South Africa is not a xenophobic country.

The two countries say the yellow fever row will not undermine bilateral relations - and they are moving to strengthening them.

Nigeria is one of the biggest markets for South Africa's MTN mobile phone operator, while retailer Shoprite and Standard Bank also have profitable operations there.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-17299326

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Xenophobia: ‘Act Now Or Have Yourself To Blame', Minister Tells S’African Govt by colestephan86: 5:25am On Sep 04, 2019
bizza45:
imagine talk ... your president said he is sending envoy to s.a, but if its to go for holiday and checkup, there will be no envoy
Nigerians don't over do anything, the attacks has being on for a very long time, n this is the first time Nigerians reacted. It's a clear message to our dead government n the people of South Africa.
Re: Xenophobia: ‘Act Now Or Have Yourself To Blame', Minister Tells S’African Govt by johnman40: 5:26am On Sep 04, 2019
Monaco2:
What I don’t like is that Nigerians are going to destroy shoprite n mtn offices, these things are own my Nigerians o, they should burn down the South African embassy shikina
,nonsense why are you talking like this every fucking south business in nigeria need to b dedtroy including their bloody embersdy,we will find out if u ar sa cus i cant believe such statements came out of ur gub dick head.
Re: Xenophobia: ‘Act Now Or Have Yourself To Blame', Minister Tells S’African Govt by ofemigeorge(m): 5:35am On Sep 04, 2019
kasheemawo:
Nigerians are seriously fighting for IPOB in South Africa
Guy com dey go school. Oya

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: ‘Act Now Or Have Yourself To Blame', Minister Tells S’African Govt by Opinedecandid(m): 5:36am On Sep 04, 2019
Bossontop:
undecided
Meanwhile......

You dudes that are using this picture, you want to really provoke Nigerians.

I'm feeling like, "how I wish Ask Rock' had unfettered access..."

Let me stop there.
Re: Xenophobia: ‘Act Now Or Have Yourself To Blame', Minister Tells S’African Govt by Codes151(m): 5:49am On Sep 04, 2019
All this minister of twitter talks...

Talk talk talk

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: ‘Act Now Or Have Yourself To Blame', Minister Tells S’African Govt by Lateef73: 5:58am On Sep 04, 2019
Ikpeazukerosene:
And that worthless wawa idiot from Enugu who is the Minister for Foreign affairs is still calling meetings to gossip with the South African High Commissioner.

You created this moniker just to be a foolish personality on a public forum, I pity your parents, one condom would have save Nigeria from a useless pig like you.
Spits.

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: ‘Act Now Or Have Yourself To Blame', Minister Tells S’African Govt by Ikpeazukerosene: 6:00am On Sep 04, 2019
Lateef73:

You created this moniker just to be a foolish personality on a public forum, I pity your parents, one condom would have save Nigeria from a useless pig like you.
Spits.

Wawa nonentities shouldn't quote me, go and meet your effeminate Governor and cry together.

By the way, regards to your Mom. Tell her long time no see. wink

1 Like

Re: Xenophobia: ‘Act Now Or Have Yourself To Blame', Minister Tells S’African Govt by nototribalist: 6:09am On Sep 04, 2019
StillX10:
Empty threats no action
but if they don't threatened them, na you go still complain
Re: Xenophobia: ‘Act Now Or Have Yourself To Blame', Minister Tells S’African Govt by johnrash(m): 6:12am On Sep 04, 2019
PDP regime is d best party that never give a shit when ruling.... APC lack actions, good qualities n all. I started hating dis government after d sane burahi couldn't take any responsibility on his People.
Re: Xenophobia: ‘Act Now Or Have Yourself To Blame', Minister Tells S’African Govt by tsavkeghps(m): 7:11am On Sep 04, 2019
Good
Re: Xenophobia: ‘Act Now Or Have Yourself To Blame', Minister Tells S’African Govt by KardinalZik(m): 7:16am On Sep 04, 2019
pyro62:
Xenophobia.. Let it not lead to war.. Nigeria sabi overdo

isn't it war already?
Re: Xenophobia: ‘Act Now Or Have Yourself To Blame', Minister Tells S’African Govt by Timantech(m): 7:32am On Sep 04, 2019
If this shit was happening to US citizens, the Americans would have scrambled all the fleets of africom command and 4 F16 and 5B bomber jet across the shores of south Africa waiting to pick it citizens and for showdown. But my country died in the hands of its people.... The Britain handed to us a dying country to died in our hands and it sure did.... Imagine an embassy refusing it people.
Re: Xenophobia: ‘Act Now Or Have Yourself To Blame', Minister Tells S’African Govt by Glink2018(m): 7:48am On Sep 04, 2019
Timantech:
If this shit was happening to US citizens, the Americans would have scrambled all the fleets of africom command and 4 F16 and 5B bomber jet across the shores of south Africa waiting to pick it citizens and for showdown. But my country died in the hands of its people.... The Britain handed to us a dying country to died in our hands and it sure did.... Imagine an embassy refusing it people.

Do you know our problem? Bad and incompetent leadership....
South Africa can't just do this nonsense to Russian, UK or US ... The whole country will be turned to rubbles...

Come to think of it... South Africa government is more weaponized than Nigeria...
Re: Xenophobia: ‘Act Now Or Have Yourself To Blame', Minister Tells S’African Govt by Lugianostar(m): 7:55am On Sep 04, 2019
We should wait for them to act upon their rubbish Xenophobic madness that is claiming Nigerian lives and properties over there.

Let much retaliatory moves be done for them to know we can't be taken for granted anytime anywhere.

Niger Deltans in SA know what to do to defend themselves as we can't die for nothing
Re: Xenophobia: ‘Act Now Or Have Yourself To Blame', Minister Tells S’African Govt by SimDan95(m): 8:14am On Sep 04, 2019
kasheemawo:
Nigerians are seriously fighting for IPOB in South Africa
you are such a stupid entity
Re: Xenophobia: ‘Act Now Or Have Yourself To Blame', Minister Tells S’African Govt by wechat1: 8:28am On Sep 04, 2019
nigeria government may not act about the xinophobian going on in south africa,because that make igbo and yorubas merge as one nation,see as yorubas singing nzogbu nzogbu enyimba enyi in one voice

Re: Xenophobia: ‘Act Now Or Have Yourself To Blame', Minister Tells S’African Govt by riczy(m): 9:20am On Sep 04, 2019
SHOPPERS:
South Africa is getting it wrong this time.

They believe they have nothing to lose but they've forgotten, the whole world is watching.

This world is not a static place.

One day, the hate they've sown will surely germinate and their coming generations will surely bear the brunt of all these.
oga let d world watch from now till Thy kingdom come, highest UN can do is to fine dem, however wat Abt d lives lost, evil has continued because good men has done nothing!
Re: Xenophobia: ‘Act Now Or Have Yourself To Blame', Minister Tells S’African Govt by Wande22(m): 10:17am On Sep 04, 2019
This is what someone posted on a friend wall on facebook

Aguntasolo Olanrewaju Another view:

I know the SA thing is paining you as you say, also me too. But please hear my perspective:

I have lived in SA for almost 20 years.

What you see as pure xenophobia is actually community Vigilantism gone wrong or hijacked by criminals.

Some of the shops looted and destroyed are actually covers for a serious crime.

Some of our brothers take over entire areas and turn them into drug markets. But because the law in SA does not allow police to arrest criminals unless with evidence or unless shot at, so what happens is the drug guys hide these drugs in shops, restaurants etc and use as a face.
There are up to 30 public "drug" markets in Joburg alone. T

These are areas where 50 to 200 Nigerians converge on street corners to sell drugs. That's just in Johannesburg, and excludes other places.
The community knows and they try to inform the police. Sometimes these guys get arrested and bribe their way out when it fails the community takes laws into their hands.

Nigerians are not being targetted per se. The target is street drug dealers and yahoo boys who are mostly Nigerian.
Personally, in an area of Johannesburg, some years ago, drug dealers almost took over my property. We bought it and in the process of renovation, they invaded it and turned it into a drug hotel. It took God to evict them without being killed. It was led by Nigerians. In that property, there were families with women and children.

One strategy of selling drugs is to befriend young secondary school.Girls and introduce them. They get hooked and they start stealing and prostitution to feed the habit. Soon the entire area deteriorates.

Now, why I am sharing this with you is that the drug dealers are distracting attention. They are trying to make the Nigerian Government arise in anger and defend "Nigerians" ie defend drug dealers. if they succeed, they'd have staged a powerful coup. They'd have entered an official mafioso level, protected by Government.

Please see the article below: The Nigeria ambassador to SA said the majority of killings are perpetrated by fellow Nigerians. It's a drug turf war. he is right. I know some who've been killed.

So how can we accuse others of killing us when we are perpetrating it?

Those videos and pictures circulating of Nigerians in SA- how is it that we are shown only in the light of guys on the street? I know top Robotics engineers in SA, I know people in Top IT firms, developers, in Amazon, Google etc, I know top bankers, property company owners, many doctors, Superintendent of hospitals, professors, Pastors, etc.

So in summary here are my thoughts
- A vast majority of upright Nigerians in SA are very comfortable. They are doctors, teachers, business owners, etc. If we don't get the right story, we can set off a diplomatic war, everything collapses and these guys become targets. Currently, they are not being targetted by anyone. many are married to South Africans. Some head Government agencies and private companies.

- Yes, there are some xenophobic South Africans, but just like we fought against stigmatizing Fulani, we must also fight against stigmatizing South Africans. There are VERY many good South Africans, who don't buy into any form of oppression. Let us encourage our government to join with the South African Government and carry out a security raid on drug dealers. If the Government announces this, you will see they will flee because they'll know the cover is blown! xenophobic attacks will reduce 95%.

- The biggest donation event in the history of SA was in 2007 when people gave to victims of xenophobic attacks. The amount given was a record. It shows that the nation is not buying into that mindset.

- Please use your powerful platform to create a voice for good Nigerians in SA. You will be surprised. Many are afraid to talk because even Nigerian organizations in SA are infiltrated and even controlled by drug dealers and kingpins. No one wants to be killed. These guys are very powerful.

- These same guys being paraded as Nigerians under attack are the same guys who HATE everything PMB stands for. If you visit their hag outs (we sometimes buy food there) and talk about Buhari, they can kill you, literarily. Why? because they hate what he stands for and they hate that he is saying we should become good citizens.

- Communities fighting to save themselves should not.be hushed but.helped to do it in a better way. Not jungle justice.

- Yes the SA Government must not also be left without responsibility in the matter, they should be tasked to step up their game too. While Nigeria targets drug dealers and yahoo buys, South Africa should target miscreants and criminals in a joint operation. SA Government also needs to purge bad eggs in its police force who are compromised. It Also needs to take its own share of blame for unemployment, poverty and economic challenges and social issues that allow drugs to be demanded.

I close with a prophecy by Pa Elton
"Africa is like a gun, Nigeria is like a trigger, South Africa is like a barrel; South Africa will be free. It will partner with Nigeria.
When that happens, Africa will arise and lead the world in many ways."

This prophecy was given in the height of apartheid when it seemed impossible. Today it is half done South Africa has more bilateral agreements with Nigeria than any other nation on earth. We MUST NOT allow miscreants and criminals on both sides to hinder it, because if our national relationship fails, Africa will fail.

This is Buhari's "Mandela" moment. Will he rise up and shake off the pain and anger and mobilize Africa to unify or will he take a position that reverses the building of unity? I think he will do the right thing by God's grace, but I also believe publicizing the truth will help him and citizens.
I am open to discuss with you further on this matter, and if you feel the need to publish the above anonymously, please feel free. And if you want to do a tour to SA, I'll host you and we can go out and do a strategic mapping. I'll show you things that will make you see another perspective.
Re: Xenophobia: ‘Act Now Or Have Yourself To Blame', Minister Tells S’African Govt by mrLhanray(m): 11:23am On Sep 04, 2019
TONYE001:
Ouch! I can feel the stab,
The blade of them knife tearing through my heart.
Blood dribbling, dripping on our flag,
Tears pouring, 'cause I'm crying for my land.

I'm asking, what did we do to deserve this?
Tell me if our lives are now cheap,
They killing us at home, and killing us in yankee
While our leaders are eating fat and looting.

Is the African giant now fatherless?
Is Africa's strongest now the weakest?
Are the lives of my brothers now the cheapest -
That all them buyers go for it in the market?

Build our home! Is this too much to ask for?
We put you on the throne, can kick you out if you fail us
I'm crying, pain flowing down my spine
My brothers are dying, while all you do is take wine

Nigerians, wake up!
Let's come together -
And chase these thieves in Aso out of power
Brothers, rise up!
Together we can conquer
For in the hands of the people is the power.

For every legit Nigerian in the diaspora subjected to unjust treatment.

#NotoXenophobia.

yes, let's chase the thieves out of power. federal, state, local. that's what a revolutionary protest could have ignited, but majority prefer suffering and smiling situation while their leader with their families feast on the wealth of this country.
we must stand up and fight to save country, cos its sinking already
Re: Xenophobia: ‘Act Now Or Have Yourself To Blame', Minister Tells S’African Govt by dochenaj: 11:41am On Sep 04, 2019
ofemigeorge:

If i was the president of nigeria. I will secretly recruit special forces undercover to southafrica and for every one nigeria killed a bigger retailiation in a coded way will fall on them and a message will be delivered. Isreal did thr same. U.S will do the same. These days no e by gragra. Na under leaf worm dey.
Unfortunately there is nothing special about our forces.

But if I was President, this is what I'll do, while also arming all the Nigerians with weapons to defend themselves.

The war and unrest will be fought there in SA, and there will be no reprisals in Nigeria. Make we see who go suffer pass.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mention NASS Members Who Got NDDC Contracts, Reps Tell Akpabio / The Candidates: Tinubu Asks To Postpone Date / Ganduje Donates 16 Hilux Vans To Army (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.