Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,833 members, 7,813,780 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:11 PM

Apple Vs Non-apple Computers - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Apple Vs Non-apple Computers (6903 Views)

Apple Computers. / Microsoft And Apple Computers Which Is Better? / Why Do People Like Apple Computers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Apple Vs Non-apple Computers by InkedNerd(f): 11:02am On Oct 29, 2010
Cool. Did you buy your from the store in Central London?
Re: Apple Vs Non-apple Computers by Pelumiv(m): 11:04am On Oct 29, 2010
d first time way i c a mac lappy i be like whoo! way evrytin turn upside down. d tin cost sha o.
Re: Apple Vs Non-apple Computers by kadman(m): 11:06am On Oct 29, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

Cool. Did you buy your from the store in Central London?

No that's where I played with it cheesy But because I custom built it, I had to order online, and it took more than 2 weeks sad But worth the wait !
Re: Apple Vs Non-apple Computers by Mobinga: 11:06am On Oct 29, 2010
4llerbuntu:

grin grin

if nor be say u be my persin, i for finish u, which kain i7, i5, when dem even launch i7, i5 processors? e don reach 1 year? make una nor dey make this mac look like say na the all in all abeg, fine body nor be fine product o!!

na so una dey shout iphone, like say no other fone better pass am, when there are fones with way more capabilities for less cost than iphone!!!

mac na fine boy (fine girl) product, when we come to the nitty gritty of the koko in the koko, that is to say the mainest of the main the main, MAc go siddon dey look o!!.
besides all those baby kingsway games una dey play dey mac? mostly nope!!! finito!!!

matter of fact sef, what really are you buying when buying a mac? the hardware? cos the software is unix based BSD polished and given the shine! grin grin grin i dont need to spend $1,500 to run a BSD os naw do i? grin grin grin grin

oya lets go there!!!! grin grin grin grin grin WHO is NEXT?

grin grin grin grin grin

Buy MAC for Hardware. Buy Windows For Software (OS)

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?action=dlattach;id=342689;type=avatar[/img]
Re: Apple Vs Non-apple Computers by ochukoccna: 11:07am On Oct 29, 2010
Who needs Apple or even Windows shocked shocked shocked so as to continue paying for Software licenses when you have LINUX?
The learning curve may seem steep @ first but LINUX is the way to go for the future.
Re: Apple Vs Non-apple Computers by leuelliot(m): 11:08am On Oct 29, 2010
i was thinking of buying a windows lappy next! but from what i'm reading it most likely a mac book pro
Re: Apple Vs Non-apple Computers by Pelumiv(m): 11:14am On Oct 29, 2010
leuelliot:

i was thinking of buying a windows lappy next! but from what i'm reading it most likely a mac book pro

u get money o. make u dash me ur old lappy o.
Re: Apple Vs Non-apple Computers by 2kurupt(m): 11:15am On Oct 29, 2010
All this 'apple is tite' speech just make me wanna throw-up. We must'nt all use the same thing thats why competition must thrive.
@OP, True mac is user friendly and comes with great hardware but lets not forget the topic which talks about the nigerian scenario. If ur thinking of a computer for ur folks back home, i'll advise you go for a good hardware device running running windows software. Coz in nigeria, genuine windows products & compatible softwares (not otigba bootlegs) are widely available and suppprted. Even OEM's like hp, sony, acer etc are present for hardware support.

If only apple will change their policy on international markets and have their presence felt in naija (not just leaving the naija apple end-user to fend for himself) then it does'nt stand a chance to beat microsoft in the nigerian market.
Re: Apple Vs Non-apple Computers by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:18am On Oct 29, 2010
bot keeps on swallowing my posts! why na?

anyway: u can check up my recent posts for my riposte eh

well these are a couple of things i would prefer that my laptop have that these una new MAC nor dey get:

1. Ethernet port!! i mean WTF!!! i have to buy a usb extension to hook up a LAN cable?
2. An optical drive (CD/DVD Drive) i mean really as in han han. . . . . . .
3. A card reader
4. A user replacable wireless network card
5  A replaceable  battery
6. Replaceable RAM.
7. HDMI ports

my point is: are you paying for the hardware or the software or both?

we can get waaaay better MONSTER hardware for those prices and even turn round to put OSX on it if the OS dey totori you too mush!!

NB: how can i stop this Bot from swallowing my very innocent tech posts? i know a way o, but i dont want to spoil seun's show by letting all these naija men catch on, nonetheless can someone just pls free my posts and let these debate continue in full force!!

funny though, why is it that its you pple in yankee that always stand up for apple? the money dey itch una hands shey? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
see kadman go buy $1280 dollar MAC shocked shocked shocked, shey u know that money will buy you a pc with specs soo bad that even windows will boot in 15 secs? tongue tongue tongue
just install ubuntu and apply MACBUNTU theme, chikena OSX don land be dat grin grin grin grin
Re: Apple Vs Non-apple Computers by Mobinga: 11:20am On Oct 29, 2010
This Nairaland Spambot iscrap
Re: Apple Vs Non-apple Computers by Mobinga: 11:25am On Oct 29, 2010
Whats the point of buying a $2000 mac, when you can get windows of the same spec for $700 - $1500?

Mac is Wack
Re: Apple Vs Non-apple Computers by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:25am On Oct 29, 2010
@ 2kurupt, leave dem na, they are suffering from the grass is greener on the other side syndrome

wait make dem use the thing first, come see tori for market. grin grin grin grin grin
naija pple!!! to their mind naw, na to show level, they practically know nuthin about the useability of the thing sef. go iphone thread go see pple when dey buy iphone, come dey hustle to jailbreak and unlock, laff go kill u

hmnn. . . .  ok o!!,

Apple wont change their international policy o, hmmn, na pple wen don chop belleful go buy am na, shey na james the son of ngozi the tailor wan dey buy 400k laptop, still come dey buy accessories join?
Re: Apple Vs Non-apple Computers by DoubleN(m): 11:54am On Oct 29, 2010
4llerbuntu:

well these are a couple of things i would prefer that my laptop have that these una new MAC nor dey get:

1. Ethernet port!! i mean WTF!!! i have to buy a usb extension to hook up a LAN cable?
3. A card reader
6. Replaceable RAM.
7. HDMI ports

we can get waaaay better MONSTER hardware for those prices and even turn round to put OSX on it if the OS dey totori you too mush!!

NB: how can i stop this Bot from swallowing my very innocent tech posts? i know a way o, but i dont want to spoil seun's show by letting all these naija men catch on, nonetheless can someone just pls free my posts and let these debate continue in full force!!

funny though, why is it that its you pple in yankee that always stand up for apple? the money dey itch una hands shey? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
see kadman go buy $1280 dollar MAC shocked shocked shocked, shey u know that money will buy you a pc with specs soo bad that even windows will boot in 15 secs? tongue tongue tongue
just install ubuntu and apply MACBUNTU theme, chikena OSX don land be dat grin grin grin grin
Are you sure you have seen a Mac before? . The Mac book Pro has a slot loading DVD Super Drive!,Ethernet Port,Wifi etc. The HDMI and the VGA can be used using a Display port adapter. As for the battery,let us not even go there. Why have a removable battery,when you have a 10 hour battery (6-9 hours on standard usage) that can go 1000 recharge cycles? Trust me,using one will change your mind completely. Mac Rules! grin
Re: Apple Vs Non-apple Computers by DoubleN(m): 12:07pm On Oct 29, 2010
4llerbuntu:

3. A card reader
6. Replaceable RAM.
7. HDMI ports

Are you sure you have seen a Mac before? . The Mac book Pro has a slot loading DVD Super Drive!,Ethernet Port,Wifi etc. The HDMI and the VGA can be used using a Display port adapter. As for the battery,let us not even go there. Why have a removable battery,when you have a 10 hour battery (6-9 hours on standard usage) that can go 1000 recharge cycles? Trust me,using one will change your mind completely. Mac Rules! grin
Re: Apple Vs Non-apple Computers by otumfour(m): 12:10pm On Oct 29, 2010
wow! tha post wuz really going Macs way till I saw the post down here undecided
y'all almost got me wit tha mac talk tho, I think am gonna stick wit ma PC
same wit tha Iphone 4, very expensive but the Samsung Galaxy s (Android phone) has everything it has and more yet the Samsung is way cheaper,

4llerbuntu:

3. A card reader
6. Replaceable RAM.
7. HDMI ports

Re: Apple Vs Non-apple Computers by puskin: 12:44pm On Oct 29, 2010
4llerbuntu:

3. A card reader
6. Replaceable RAM.
7. HDMI ports

Wait a minute. . . . .all these things aren't there in the so called MAC.  shocked shocked shocked

To hell wit it then. . . . .MAC my nyansh.
Re: Apple Vs Non-apple Computers by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:03pm On Oct 29, 2010
actually the some models of the macbook pro has a card reader.
older macs, used to have an optical drive.

now you are absolutely ties to the app store. for free apps, you go try o

apple has officially stopped supporting java. . . . . . .
Re: Apple Vs Non-apple Computers by zenus(m): 1:20pm On Oct 29, 2010
Apple too cost for an average Naija
Re: Apple Vs Non-apple Computers by ReLaTE(m): 1:46pm On Oct 29, 2010
Apple products are very good,MAC my word.
Bt b4 buying any product,u hv to consider ths two vital reasons wheda u're buying a machine,gadgets,computer,car etc. Make sure that there's availability of service shops and the product parts in your country. Why shuld u go for a lamborghini car  when the spare parts and service shops are nt easily accessible to you. If u are residing outside nigeria or u're a frequent traveller outside Nigeria then u cn get one.
Re: Apple Vs Non-apple Computers by jimblaze(m): 2:03pm On Oct 29, 2010
Mac is way better than windows, there are fewer viruses for mac than any other O/S and besides viruses cant really affect it though it can transmitt to windows based O/S's, MAC O/S is unix based hence its more secure than windows, only thing though is the price which is quite steep compared to other lappy's, as an IT. professional i would take mac any day to windows
Re: Apple Vs Non-apple Computers by Ifedisky(m): 2:22pm On Oct 29, 2010
zenus:

Apple too cost for an average Naija
CFnet has an Apple Mac ProSpring 2010 @ $2,199! phew, that na kings ransom
Re: Apple Vs Non-apple Computers by texazzpete(m): 2:46pm On Oct 29, 2010
This Mac vs PC bullcrap argument.
I own a Macbook pro, and the build quality is awesome, but i'm stunned some people here are trumpeting about the hardware specs of the Macbook pro.
Really?

Only 2 USB ports, no BluRay option, generally slower processors, mid-range GPUs, no HDMI, very few expansion ports, no VGA connector for projectors shocked

I got the Macbook just for the option of triple booting all the three major OS tranches (OS X, Windows 7, Ubuntu).
That's all there is to it. OS X vs Windows is subjective. Once you get all that elitist crap out of your head, Windows 7 is every bit as good as OS X. Install a decent Antivirus software and use your common sense and you won't have to worry about viruses.

As for buying a MacBook Pro in Nigeria, you'd have to be savvy. Vendors like ishopA.com are stupidly expensive, caught up in the elitist idea that since only 'Big men' buy Apple, therefore market the Apple laptops at outrageous prices. And that's just lame.

At the end of the day, it's best to buy whatever suits you. Windows, Ubuntu, OS X all get the job done. Plus you can configure a far more powerful laptop for a fraction of the price of a MAcbook pro. And you won't need to buy adapters just to use a projector or to connect your laptop via HDMI. Plus you won't need to lug around a USB hub just to use your MTN modem and a wired mouse at the same time.
Re: Apple Vs Non-apple Computers by Mobinga: 2:52pm On Oct 29, 2010
texazzpete:

Once you get all that elitist crap out of your head, Windows 7 is every bit as good as OS X. Install a decent Antivirus software and use your common sense and you won't have to worry about viruses.

Yup +1

As for buying a MacBook Pro in Nigeria, you'd have to be savvy. Vendors like ishopA.com are stupidly expensive, caught up in the elitist idea that since only 'Big men' buy Apple, therefore market the Apple laptops at outrageous prices. And that's just lame.
Very outrageous prices. 200k plus for crap systems angry

Plus you can configure a far more powerful laptop for a fraction of the price of a MAcbook pro.

He has written it all. THREAD LOCKED grin grin
Re: Apple Vs Non-apple Computers by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:55pm On Oct 29, 2010
End Of Discussion!!!! chikena! TEXX DON FINISH MATTER!!!

trust a nigerian to ooh and aahh about owning a ferrari when only a wastepipe would drive it on nigerian roads.

Macs are equated to status symbols. weird, cuz they actually should not be! talk about putting form above function!!
Re: Apple Vs Non-apple Computers by adedayoone: 3:59pm On Oct 29, 2010
Mac vs Apple , hmn i just had that debate with some colleagues at work last week , Did someone say mac does not have CD/DVD rom , i guess the person neva c Mac before (no offense ooo), if u look at the mac from a distance you'd probably think that cos you cant tell that the monitor and cpu be the same thing and there is a CDROM by the side . I used Mac in UNI although am not an expert ,it was the best computer i ever used although this one had 3 OS on it ( windows,Macosx , Ubuntu), but these machines dey perform,

It still boils down to preference alot of people are used to windows , but if you are used to Mac you might think windows is too complicated , hence some people say Mac is more user friendly .
Re: Apple Vs Non-apple Computers by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:05pm On Oct 29, 2010
excuse me! shocked shocked never seen a MAC? please bros u nor try.

that "MAC" u saw in your UNI days was probably a G4 by the way!!

in case u missed my post, look up a bit u will see where i mentioned that Older macs have optical drives.

anyway, since the advent of the Unibody designs, they have systematically removed such "nuisances" case in point the Ultraslim MacBook Air series dont have optical drives!!!
Re: Apple Vs Non-apple Computers by DoubleN(m): 4:14pm On Oct 29, 2010
4llerbuntu:

3. A card reader
6. Replaceable RAM.
7. HDMI ports

4ller u don fall my hand seriously! So you have never seen a Macbook before?? . You for just keep quiet. lipsrsealed
Point of correction,the Mac's all have a slot loading DVD Super Drive,Ethernet Ports,SD Card Slot,Display port which can be used for VGA and HDMI outputs with adapters,Wifi etc and i forgot to add a backlit keyboard that uses an ambient sensor (You can google ambient sensor) grin.
And why do you need to have a removable battery if you have one that runs for 10 hours(7-8 hours on standard usage) and can go for 1000 recharge cycles??
texazzpete:

I own a Macbook pro, and the build quality is awesome, but i'm stunned some people here are trumpeting about the hardware specs of the Macbook pro.
Really?

Only 2 USB ports, no BluRay option, generally slower processors, mid-range GPUs, no HDMI, very few expansion ports, no VGA connector for projectors shocked
What is your source on that?? Intel make's the processor's for all present macs and they are the same Core2Duo, Core i5 and Core i7 processors on the market. So to say they are 'generally slow' is ignorant!
Do your research bro,Macs are still number 1! source: http://reviews.cnet.com/best-laptops/
Re: Apple Vs Non-apple Computers by DoubleN(m): 4:18pm On Oct 29, 2010
4llerbuntu:

3. A card reader
6. Replaceable RAM.
7. HDMI ports

4ller u don fall my hand seriously! So you have never seen a Macbook before?? . You for just keep quiet. lipsrsealed
Point of correction,the Mac's all have a slot loading DVD Super Drive,Ethernet Ports,SD Card Slot,Display port which can be used for VGA and HDMI outputs with adapters,Wifi etc and i forgot to add a backlit keyboard that uses an ambient sensor (You can google ambient sensor) grin.
And why do you need to have a removable battery if you have one that runs for 10 hours(7-8 hours on standard usage) and can go for 1000 recharge cycles??
texazzpete:

Really?

What is your source on that?? Intel make's the processor's for all present macs and they are the same Core2Duo, Core i5 and Core i7 processors on the market. So to say they are 'generally slow' is ignorant!
Do your research bro,Macs are still number 1! source: http://reviews.cnet.com/best-laptops/
Re: Apple Vs Non-apple Computers by DoubleN(m): 4:23pm On Oct 29, 2010
4llerbuntu:

3. A card reader
6. Replaceable RAM.
7. HDMI ports

texazzpete:

Really?

Re: Apple Vs Non-apple Computers by dtwsola(m): 5:22pm On Oct 29, 2010
4llerbuntu:

3. A card reader
6. Replaceable RAM.
7. HDMI ports

I can't believe this post has gone unchecked until now.

What in heavens are you talking about? The unibody Macbook has almost all those things you mentioned. The Macbook (Pro & non-Pro) have an optical drive, card reader, replaceable RAM and battery, and a mini displayport which is essentially the same signal as hdmi in a more compact package. Hardly any laptop comes with upgradeable LAN card. That is usually embedded into the system board. You can always get an add-on Usb network card if you want, but why the hell would you need that anyway?

Certainly you wouldn't be silly enough to compare the iPad, or even the Macbook Air to a full-fledged laptop. Those devices were designed to be super-mobile. The Macbook Air is 0 .4 - 2cm thick. One of the thinnest laptops ever made. It doesn't have an optical drive like most netbooks. But it does have replaceable RAM and battery.
Re: Apple Vs Non-apple Computers by dtwsola(m): 5:23pm On Oct 29, 2010
4llerbuntu:

3. A card reader
5 A replaceable battery
6. Replaceable RAM.
7. HDMI ports

What in heavens are you talking about? The unibody Macbook has almost all those things you mentioned. The Macbook (Pro & non-Pro) have an optical drive, card reader, replaceable RAM and battery, and a mini displayport which is essentially the same signal as hdmi in a more compact package. Hardly any laptop comes with upgradeable LAN card. That is usually embedded into the system board. You can always get an add-on Usb network card if you want, but why the hell would you need that anyway?

Certainly you wouldn't be silly enough to compare the iPad, or even the Macbook Air to a full-fledged laptop. Those devices were designed to be super-mobile. The Macbook Air is 0 .4 - 2cm thick. One of the thinnest laptops ever made. It doesn't have an optical drive like most netbooks. But it does have replaceable RAM and battery.
Re: Apple Vs Non-apple Computers by dtwsola(m): 5:25pm On Oct 29, 2010
4llerbuntu:

3. A card reader
5 A replaceable battery
6. Replaceable RAM.
7. HDMI ports

What in heavens are you talking about? The unibody Macbook has almost all those things you mentioned. The Macbook (Pro & non-Pro) have a slot-loading optical drive, SD card reader, replaceable RAM and battery, and a mini displayport which is essentially the same signal as hdmi in a more compact package. Hardly any laptop comes with upgradeable LAN card. That is usually embedded into the system board. You can always get an add-on Usb network card if you want, but why the hell would you need that anyway?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Make And Receive Calls With MTN Fastlink Huawei Modem / Internet To Be Disrupted Worldwide On Wednesday / Difference In Using Verve Card And Mastercard For Quickteller Online Transaction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.