Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,207 members, 7,815,207 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:00 AM

7 Ways To Elongate The Life Of Your Car Battery - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 7 Ways To Elongate The Life Of Your Car Battery (14920 Views)

10 Tips To Elongate The Lifespan Of Your Diesel Engine / See The Thousands Of Laptop Battery Cells Used In Tesla Car Battery Parks / 5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Ways To Elongate The Life Of Your Car Battery by Godspower35(m): 8:21pm On Sep 05, 2019
When it comes to cars, there's nothing worse than getting stuck with a dead battery. We've all been there at some point in our lives, and the problem is often compounded by the fact that in modern vehicles, little or no warning signals are displayed in advance - and probably with a 50% chance that this will happen to you on your way.
Regardless of the conditions your car is exposed to, here are 7 tips to get the most out of your battery.

Avoid frequent short trips

Your battery will be trained each time you start your car, but it will be charged by the engine during the ride. So if you only drive a short distance, the battery can not recover the lost energy. If you repeat the process daily, the battery voltage will steadily decrease until the car can not be started. Get the battery power of your car by driving it frequently and for a longer period of time. If you do not use your car very often, you should invest in a battery charger to maintain the correct voltage.

Keep your battery tightly closed

Vibrations can shorten the life of your car battery. Always use an approved battery terminal to ensure that the battery is properly held at all times. If the battery is not securely fastened, excessive vibration can damage the internal components of the battery. This can cause short circuits and shorten the life of the battery. But do not make the mistake of over tightening the battery clamp nuts as this could damage the battery. Instead, simply tighten the nuts until you feel the resistance begin, then continue half a turn.

Minimize power consumption with the engine off

Car batteries are happiest when they are almost 100% charged. So, if you leave the headlights or interior lights on while the engine is not running, this is not a problem. Before leaving the vehicle, make sure that all accessories are off and check that the lights are off when you leave.

Keep your battery clean

Make sure the top of your battery is clean, dry, and free from dirt and debris. A dirty battery may discharge into the dirt on the top of the case causing a slight short circuit that eventually flattens the battery. The battery poles also corrode with time. Keeping them clean can extend the life of your car battery. Scrub the terminals with an old toothbrush that has been dipped in a mixture of baking soda and water. Then rinse the mixture with a spray bottle of cold water and then dry thoroughly with a clean cloth.

Try to keep the heat load as low as possible

Extreme heat puts a heavy strain on the batteries as it increases the evaporation rate of the water from the cells - even with sealed upper batteries. The cold then reveals the deficiencies of the weaker battery as lower temperatures consume the remaining starting power when attempting to start cold engines with thick oil.
So, what can you do? Basically everything you can imagine to lower the temperature that the battery is exposed to. Parking your vehicle in the shade wherever possible, and parking the vehicle in the garage when not in use are great ideas. You can also look for ways to protect the battery from the heat generated in the engine compartment.

Check the battery voltage once a month

The life of a lead-acid battery shortens dramatically the longer it remains partially or fully discharged. Therefore, it is a good way to check the voltage once a month with a voltmeter to keep an eye on the health of your battery. A healthy, fully charged lead-acid battery should have a voltage of 12.7 volts or more.

Do not leave the car unused for a long time

As you may have noticed in some of the above points, it is important that the lead-acid car batteries are fully charged at all times to avoid damage. Regardless of the brand, all lead-acid batteries naturally lose their charge over time. This is called "self-discharge".
If your vehicle is not used for more than a week, it is advisable to connect a trickle charger to keep the battery in it's best condition.

Source: http://www.eliancars.com/2019/09/7-ways-to-elongate-life-of-your-car.html
[img]https://1.bp..com/-2lgk3-v9xHk/XXFZopKrzyI/AAAAAAAAC0Q/Hl2COAX2eMYTOs2nXYX2N-ZFcM1z9R6TwCLcBGAs/s320/car%2Bbattery.jpg[/img]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Ways To Elongate The Life Of Your Car Battery by Kultee(f): 9:57pm On Sep 05, 2019
thank you

1 Like

Re: 7 Ways To Elongate The Life Of Your Car Battery by omotayo24(f): 9:57pm On Sep 05, 2019
grin
Re: 7 Ways To Elongate The Life Of Your Car Battery by Nwaohafia1: 9:57pm On Sep 05, 2019
Ok
Re: 7 Ways To Elongate The Life Of Your Car Battery by DrNueLpureHoney: 9:59pm On Sep 05, 2019
Nice tips

1 Like

Re: 7 Ways To Elongate The Life Of Your Car Battery by orunmila144: 9:59pm On Sep 05, 2019
when using jump start always put red lead on first and remove it last so you dont earth your juice

6 Likes

Re: 7 Ways To Elongate The Life Of Your Car Battery by Mutemenot(m): 9:59pm On Sep 05, 2019
Ok sir. Does all this apply to our chinko batteries ?
Re: 7 Ways To Elongate The Life Of Your Car Battery by Teejayphillip(m): 9:59pm On Sep 05, 2019
Insightful grin grin
Re: 7 Ways To Elongate The Life Of Your Car Battery by ednut1(m): 10:00pm On Sep 05, 2019
May God punish the guy who sold me a battery for 21k turned out to be china made. Just buy korea made and forget all these

7 Likes

Re: 7 Ways To Elongate The Life Of Your Car Battery by loadedvibes: 10:01pm On Sep 05, 2019
So what happens if some of the liquid in the battery pours out due to pour storage?

@godspower35
Re: 7 Ways To Elongate The Life Of Your Car Battery by wandeay: 10:02pm On Sep 05, 2019
What about charging phones inside car without the engine running?

This shuts off my battery each time I forget to disconnect phones and off power, but I think my battery is not original because despite the fact that I bought it newly about 5 months ago, it runs down faster than I think it should.
Re: 7 Ways To Elongate The Life Of Your Car Battery by Denikayan: 10:07pm On Sep 05, 2019
cool Use a nail to puncture the underneath of your battery so it can drain excessive charges from there.

lipsrsealed OYO
Re: 7 Ways To Elongate The Life Of Your Car Battery by TIGRITIS: 10:09pm On Sep 05, 2019
Op, I agree with all but number 1 is not pocket friendly.

It boils down to consumption which still tells on your pocket.

If I must run my car engine for a fairly long time so that the battery which is partly discharged during starting can regain its lost charge, it means I have to burn more fuel to do that. There is also the issue of wear and tear all just to recharge battery. I will rather save my fuel and engine cumulatively, when the battery finally dies, I get another one. I think that will be more economical imo.

6 Likes

Re: 7 Ways To Elongate The Life Of Your Car Battery by Lugianostar(m): 10:10pm On Sep 05, 2019
Ok carry on!!!
Re: 7 Ways To Elongate The Life Of Your Car Battery by handsomeyinka(m): 10:19pm On Sep 05, 2019
My battery charger (Obinna) must hear this.
Re: 7 Ways To Elongate The Life Of Your Car Battery by Roon9(m): 10:30pm On Sep 05, 2019
Abeg how can one identify Korea made.
And how can it be differentiated from China

1 Like

Re: 7 Ways To Elongate The Life Of Your Car Battery by KingAzari: 10:30pm On Sep 05, 2019
#3 doesn't concern Honda, once your central lock sounds pam-pam, the headlight goes off after 5 seconds even if the full light switch is on.

Re: 7 Ways To Elongate The Life Of Your Car Battery by Budline1(m): 10:34pm On Sep 05, 2019
ednut1:
May God punish the guy who sold me a battery for 21k turned out to be china made. Just buy korea made and forget all these
The battery I bought last year only lasted for about 6 months and made in Korea was written on it. Bought a new one for 15k with the help of my landlord since the beginning of the year and it has been so dope. It's even 75ah. It's called Uplus. It's been impressive.
Re: 7 Ways To Elongate The Life Of Your Car Battery by Budline1(m): 10:37pm On Sep 05, 2019
wandeay:
What about charging phones inside car without the engine running?

This shuts off my battery each time I forget to disconnect phones and off power, but I think my battery is not original because despite the fact that I bought it newly about 5 months ago, it runs down faster than I think it should.

I stopped charging in my car without the engine running a long time ago else the battery wouldn't last, it's just like u leave the headlight on without the engine running for a complete night.
Re: 7 Ways To Elongate The Life Of Your Car Battery by Budline1(m): 10:40pm On Sep 05, 2019
TIGRITIS:
Op, I agree with all but number 1 is not pocket friendly.

It boils down to consumption which still tells on your pocket.

If I must run my car engine for a fairly long time so that the battery which is partly discharged during starting can regain its lost charge, it means I have to burn more fuel to do that. There is also the issue of wear and tear all just to recharge battery. I will rather save my fuel and engine cumulatively, when the battery finally dies, I get another one. I think that will be more economical imo.

Abi, you get a point. All car batteries will eventually die anyway. It's better to just always buy a good car battery.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Ways To Elongate The Life Of Your Car Battery by Hoodbilonia: 11:29pm On Sep 05, 2019
Leave the ac on
Even wen nepa dey
On ac of car and open sitting room
Re: 7 Ways To Elongate The Life Of Your Car Battery by femi4: 5:39am On Sep 06, 2019
All batteries will eventually die. Nigerians and their "use for life" mentality

They will buy shoe, clothes even toothpaste etc and think they ll not deprecate with time
Re: 7 Ways To Elongate The Life Of Your Car Battery by xaggar(m): 6:02am On Sep 06, 2019
adarayz:
abeg for people like me that does not have car how is thi post going to benefit us..........

but stilla good write up

olorun bless us nah

Click this link to see latest MTN 20 naira 1gb valid for 5 days

http://eunsetee.com/mwk

cool

Biko nyem number gi

1 Like

Re: 7 Ways To Elongate The Life Of Your Car Battery by Histrings08(m): 8:15am On Sep 06, 2019
I always remove the terminal overnight... Will this affect my battery negatively or positively..?
Re: 7 Ways To Elongate The Life Of Your Car Battery by Cmsj: 12:18pm On Sep 06, 2019
battery wey go last go last na lucky matter most jor
Re: 7 Ways To Elongate The Life Of Your Car Battery by EgunMogaji2: 10:27pm On Sep 08, 2019
The word is prolong, not elongate.
Re: 7 Ways To Elongate The Life Of Your Car Battery by Wigetsolar: 8:09am On Sep 09, 2019
So, if someone likes to charge his devices or play music via car stereo nko?

You didn't talk about electrical issues that can drain and kill batteries.

(1) (Reply)

Free Premium Vin Checks. Drop your vin / Another Tesla Model S On Autopilot Crashes Into A Parked Fire Truck At 65 Mph / 5 Terrifying Facts About Car Pollution That Everyone Should Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.