Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,791 members, 7,810,056 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:39 PM

Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure (32983 Views)

Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) / Lockdown: I Visited Shoprite In Ikeja And It Was Empty (Photos, Video) / This Nigerian Man And His Friends Slept At Shoprite In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure by Nonybb: 5:57am On Sep 06, 2019
Let it remains shut down!
Re: Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure by Cutehector(m): 5:57am On Sep 06, 2019
Kizyte:
This is the best news I've read on Nairaland in six months!

It's better to patronize my own people than enrich foreigners whose people destroy the lives and properties of my brothers in their country
oh my goodness! what kind of mentality do possess? Enriching foreigners? Are the merchants in these stores demolished not Nigerians?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure by wengerjay(m): 6:04am On Sep 06, 2019
We don't know shoprite in Akure, we only know CECI and NAO.
You can shut down your shoprite for years.
Re: Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure by Teymanhenry(f): 6:20am On Sep 06, 2019
Prices of goods at shoprites still cheaper than goods at supermarkets. las las the buyer will suffer d consequences
Re: Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure by blindjustice13(m): 6:22am On Sep 06, 2019
They have been allowed this zenpohobic companies drive local businesses to the ground. angry
Re: Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure by blindjustice13(m): 6:24am On Sep 06, 2019
xxolisexx:
Shoprite will be back soon, and stronger, take it or leav it, shoprite took shopping experience to a whole new level, they believe so much in nigerian products, most of the fruits yu see in shoprite are locally sourced, shoprite even goes a long way to bring in seeds of crops that are not grown in nigeria and share to farmers for them to grow in nigeria,
locally sourced? You mean the corn they tagged #500 for one was locally sourced? Talk about rip off by shoprite shocked

5 Likes

Re: Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure by marylandcakes: 6:28am On Sep 06, 2019
When it comes to business, the sooner you Nigerians start behaving like the Jews and Indians the better. They patronise themselves first before foreigners, that way they are growing their economy and bettering themselves. They believe if their brother or neighbour is doing fine, then the community is doing fine. They don’t go about displaying their Gucci or Versace as this is translated as stupidity.

5 Likes

Re: Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure by BruncleZuma: 6:30am On Sep 06, 2019
Dave0116:
Great..... I wish this matter will be followed up and hammer all south African company with extremely high tariffs and exceptionally high vat, thereby making business extremely uncomfortable for them until nigerian investors will all pull of their companies and they'll finally have no other choice than leaving for Good.... We can do without them but they can't do without us.

The tariffs, taxes etc. are borne by the customers.
Re: Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure by nams77: 6:30am On Sep 06, 2019
xxolisexx:
Shoprite will be back soon, and stronger, take it or leav it, shoprite took shopping experience to a whole new level, they believe so much in nigerian products, most of the fruits yu see in shoprite are locally sourced, shoprite even goes a long way to bring in seeds of crops that are not grown in nigeria and share to farmers for them to grow in nigeria,
Let them go. We need our local market to grow.

2 Likes

Re: Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure by ADMAF(m): 6:32am On Sep 06, 2019
telim:
Fed gov just have to comeup with an effective policy to protect small business owners before they packup due to low sales.
Will the small biz owners be ready to replace the tax returns the FG earns through shop rite?
Re: Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure by brainhgeek(m): 6:32am On Sep 06, 2019
Trump's view

Re: Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure by nams77: 6:34am On Sep 06, 2019
marylandcakes:
When it comes to business, the sooner you Nigerians start behaving like the Jews and Indians the better. They patronise themselves first before foreigners, that way they are growing their economy and bettering themselves. They believe if their brother or neighbour is doing fine, then the community is doing fine. They don’t go about displaying their Gucci or Versace as this is translated as stupidity.
Spot on! But the average nigerian, wanting to show off his affluence and jet age status would rather shop at Shoprite, than patronize mama nkechi's supermarket.
I am angry i am using a SA decoder. I still grieve today that the Nigerian owned cable network didnt come on stream. ( tstv)?

2 Likes

Re: Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure by Goalnaldo(m): 6:34am On Sep 06, 2019
telim:
Fed gov just have to comeup with an effective policy to protect small business owners before they packup due to low sales.
do you have federal government or the one that support cows
Re: Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure by baby124: 6:35am On Sep 06, 2019
ADMAF:

Will the small biz owners be ready to replace the tax returns the FG earns through shop rite?
Which tax do they pay Can ShopRite please publish their records of tax payments to Nigerian government? Is it not MTN we were fighting the other day for tax evasion

4 Likes

Re: Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure by nams77: 6:37am On Sep 06, 2019
ADMAF:

As if the tax has any direct bearing on your life. That's money that would be looted by government officials

2 Likes

Re: Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure by Nobody: 6:39am On Sep 06, 2019
I hope they are selling the same quality

Re: Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure by directonpc(m): 6:39am On Sep 06, 2019
Dave0116:
Great..... I wish this matter will be followed up and hammer all south African company with extremely high tariffs and exceptionally high vat, thereby making business extremely uncomfortable for them until nigerian investors will all pull of their companies and they'll finally have no other choice than leaving for Good.... We can do without them but they can't do without us.
from this double standard government?
Re: Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure by Dave0116(m): 6:40am On Sep 06, 2019
BruncleZuma:

The tariffs, taxes etc. are borne by the customers.
yes, just for awhile and that will encourage low patronage until their brand dies naturally.

1 Like

Re: Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure by marylandcakes: 6:40am On Sep 06, 2019
nams77:

Spot on! But the average nigerian, wanting to show off his affluence and jet age status would rather shop in Shoprite, then patronize mama nkechi supermarket.
I am angry i am using a SA decoder. I still grieve today that the Nigerian owned cable network didnt come on stream. ( tstv)?

The people need orientation and education from the government, but our leaders are hypocrites, they go for health tourism abroad, treated by African doctors and nurses who have been head hunted by the brain drain. Just see Mugabe died in a Singapore hospital. He paved his house with gold that money could have gone towards a first class hospital in Zimbabwe. And we wonder why the white man thinks black people have smaller brains.

4 Likes

Re: Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure by Offpoint: 6:44am On Sep 06, 2019
I thought it's looting... I'm dissapointed after many days of observation.
Re: Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure by loswhite(m): 6:46am On Sep 06, 2019
baby124:
That’s why we should beware of large chains that run our local business people out of business. Let ShopRite be restricted to certain areas and not close to local markets or supermarkets.
There is always and advantage and also disadvantage. Shoprite source product locally from our farmers too.
Re: Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure by goshen26: 6:49am On Sep 06, 2019
I think this is a way forward...

Increase the VAT of these guys, this will make our self centered rich men pull out of their businesses, and invest in our own establishment.

Whenever I remember how DSTV (high ranked politicians) frustrated the thriving of other cable TVs I get annoyed, and yet the cows who country is enjoying it are talking thrash at their benefactors in their country over there.
Re: Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure by Niyiboi: 6:52am On Sep 06, 2019
nairalandankrah:
All I see here is an ABIMBOLA" married to one CHUKWUDI''.. Simply put, in nairaland terminologia, " an afonja married to an ipob and cohabiting peacefully...
#igbonja amaka grin
There are so many intermarriages between Igbo's and yorubas in Ondo and Ekiti states. I was born there so I know what's up.

4 Likes

Re: Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure by marylandcakes: 6:52am On Sep 06, 2019
loswhite:
There is always and advantage and also disadvantage. Shoprite source product locally from our farmers too.

Yes they pay them peanuts for their products and charge exorbitant prices for them. They are rip-off merchants, no matter which way you look at it. The farmers don’t get a fair price for their products.
Re: Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure by loswhite(m): 7:00am On Sep 06, 2019
marylandcakes:

Yes they pay them peanuts for their products and charge exorbitant prices for them. They are rip-off merchants, no matter which way you look at it. The farmers don’t get a fair price for their products.
no fact to back that up tho. A capitalist system encourages that demand and mostly determine prices... So blame it on the system not the business
Re: Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure by Laidebrain(m): 7:05am On Sep 06, 2019
During my Under graduate days, I did some couple of research on stores and large chain firms.. We resorted that it's only okay for large stores like Shoprite and co. To maintain a specific location and not just open in every town and cities cuz they will eventually kill all those mini marts and convenient sales people like the abokis and our parents with petty shops.

This is actually good for the economy.. as it helps promote small scale stores who are middle class business people and the lower class which majority of us and our parents fall under

baby124:
That’s why we should beware of large chains that run our local business people out of business. Let ShopRite be restricted to certain areas and not close to local markets or supermarkets.

1 Like

Re: Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure by Laidebrain(m): 7:06am On Sep 06, 2019
Laidebrain:
During my Under graduate days, I did some couple of research on stores and large chain firms.. We resorted that it's only okay for large stores like Shoprite and co. To maintain a specific location and not just open in every town and cities cuz they will eventually kill all those mini marts and convenient sales people like the abokis and our parents with petty shops.

This is actually good for the economy.. as it helps promote small scale stores who are middle class business people and the lower class which majority of us and our parents fall under

Re: Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure by marylandcakes: 7:09am On Sep 06, 2019
loswhite:
no fact to back that up tho. A capitalist system encourages that demand and mostly determine prices... So blame it on the system not the business

I know a few farmers, I and and a few others are in the process of setting up a small group of fair trade farmers so I know what I’m talking about. Many farmers are being bullied and for fear of their produce going to waste they are forced into selling at giveaway prices. Bad roads and lack of storage for their produce also plays a big part.
Re: Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure by FarahAideed: 7:09am On Sep 06, 2019
Dave0116:

You lack total sense
Re: Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure by Qadaffi2idiamin: 7:23am On Sep 06, 2019
No better policy to protect small businesses. grin grin
Re: Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure by Chimookigwe: 7:31am On Sep 06, 2019
xxolisexx:

Fruits in Shoprite are imported, stop talking what you don't know. If you want, open a thread and I'll snap pictures to show how Shoprite is wrecking Nigerian farmers.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Do It Yourself Importation Business Reviews/testimonies / Top Online Business That Has Made Most Young People Millionaires In Nigeria / Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Joins Lazard As Senior Advisor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.