Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,425 members, 7,812,252 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:44 AM

Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) (55547 Views)

Lockdown: I Visited Shoprite In Ikeja And It Was Empty (Photos, Video) / Court Seals Shoprite In Umuahia Over Loan Default (photos) / This Nigerian Man And His Friends Slept At Shoprite In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by MzansiCoolio: 4:06pm On Feb 15
'SHARP' MEANS 'THUMBS UP' IN SOUTH AFRICA

Social media is abuzz after some people found it weird that just opposite the popular retailer Shoprite on Robert Sobukwe street in Sunnyside, Pretoria, there is a store named Sharprite.

While some see it as “pushing your luck” due to the familiarity, some think the competition between Shoprite and Sharprite is welcomed.

TimesLIVE visited both supermarkets on Wednesday.

As one stands outside the door of Sharprite and looks on the “sharp right” turn, opposite the street you find Shoprite.

Inside Sharprite, the store boasts about eight aisles stocked with everything from sugar, bedding essentials to water taps. But what sets the store apart from Shoprite is that many of their products are offered in bulk.

Sharprite also has no fridges in store so there are no refrigerated items in stock.

During TimesLIVE’s visit to the store, a man who wanted to buy a cold drink turned back empty-handed after inquiring about the fridge aisle for the drinks and he was told there are no fridges there.

Besides sounding similar, there are other similarities between the two shops. Both have their names written in bold red, Shoprite has a white outline to its text. Sharprite also has a big yellow smiling emoji in front, displaying a ‘sharp’ or thumbs-up gesture.

A bottle of 2l cooking oil at Sharprite starts from as little as R43.99 [vs R59.99 Ritebrand Sunflower Seed Oil 2L at Shoprite], while a carton of six milk 1lt boxes starts from as little as R89.99 [Ritebrand R98.99]. A 10kg bag of flour costs R127.99 at Sharprite, while similar flour of the same size costs a few cents more at Shoprite at R129.99.

While in the area, TimesLIVE noticed that a lot of the foot traffic is at the Shoprite as people buy daily essentials, including cold drinks and water. A few people also entered Sharprite to buy tools and other essentials.

While Shoprite, which is one of Africa’s leading brands is owned by South African, Christo Wiese, TimesLIVE understands that Sharprite is Chinese-owned.
The store has extended its reach from Pretoria and is also found in Middelburg, Mpumalanga province.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2024-02-14-its-just-a-sharp-right-turn-from-sharprite-to-shoprite/

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by MzansiCoolio: 4:12pm On Feb 15

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by CoronaVirusPro: 4:16pm On Feb 15
China will clone anything!

What is “sharprite”

Those dwarfs will steal anything, and it will never be as good as that of the owner.

169 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by decatalyst(m): 4:27pm On Feb 15
Right in front of shop rite?

Interesting price competition will erupt in that location. All to the benefit of the consumers in that area👏👏

174 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by shortgun(m): 4:30pm On Feb 15
Some uninformed people will say the Chinese store is fake but in reality it's actually innovative.
This is one of the strategies used by businesses to get a share of the market.

135 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by meum: 4:36pm On Feb 15
Made in China😁

7 Likes

Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by MzansiCoolio: 4:41pm On Feb 15
CoronaVirusPro:

What is “sharprite”

😂😂😂

It's actually a smart use of SA slang. Sharp means thumbs-up.

28 Likes

Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by Ogiame: 4:45pm On Feb 15
CoronaVirusPro:

Who gives a flying fvck about your opinion!

Get a noose hog!

Morafvcker!
Are you done?

11 Likes

Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by LeeSmart: 4:53pm On Feb 15
See as that Mzanzi op just the look una @coronavirus nd ogiame they laugh. Una dey loose guard oo

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by BobbieZion(m): 4:54pm On Feb 15
Ogiame:
Are you done?

No dey answer that boy.
Make you no come bring yourself low.

That boy is a low-life scumbag.

Mzansi we still beat South Africa.
How far.....all your mouth.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by Ogiame: 4:55pm On Feb 15
BobbieZion:

No dey answer that boy.
Make you no come bring yourself low.

That boy is a low-life scumbag.
No wahala my brother.

4 Likes

Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by Ogiame: 4:57pm On Feb 15
LeeSmart:
See as that Mzanzi op just the look una @coronavirus nd ogia.me they laugh. Una dey loose guard oo
Loose guard? Please rest. Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by perfectsusanoo(m): 5:01pm On Feb 15
The chinese are something else, it is a competitor but it sounds comical.

4 Likes

Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by brain54(m): 5:05pm On Feb 15
Same as Oasis Bakery...
And Ostrich Bakery that year in Jos.

Ostrish bakery owned by those Chinese was a copy of Oasis.

Same brand color and everything.

I hated the imitation.

They can actually face legal action if the name/branding looks too similar or obvious!

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by MzansiCoolio: 5:07pm On Feb 15
LeeSmart:
See as that Mzanzi op just the look una @coronavirus nd ogiame they laugh. Una dey loose guard oo

I'm in peace mode today, BobbieZion is not gonna trigger me 😎 It's clear CoronaVirusPro is gonna get banned, filthy mouth indeed 😂. Rooting for Ogiame!🏆

4 Likes

Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by Karlifate: 5:10pm On Feb 15
Indians should also open Yaba Right in front of Yaba Left

grin grin

Since everyone wants to be mad these days.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by coputa(m): 5:10pm On Feb 15
CoronaVirusPro:

What is “sharprite”

Those dwarfs will steal anything, and it will never be as good as that of the owner.
They are the biggest creditors to your country, they are the manufacturer of the device you used in typing this nonsensical comment .

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by CoronaVirusPro: 5:11pm On Feb 15
MzansiCoolio:

I'm in peace mode today, BobbieZion is not gonna trigger me 😎 It's clear CoronaVirusPro is gonna get banned, filthy mouth indeed 😂. Rooting for Ogiame!🏆

Oh!

So you a fan!

2 Likes

Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by MzansiCoolio: 5:16pm On Feb 15
CoronaVirusPro:

Oh!

So you a fan!

I'm just saying i dont see you surviving frontpage😂

3 Likes

Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by CoronaVirusPro: 5:18pm On Feb 15
MzansiCoolio:

I'm just saying i dont see you surviving frontpage😂

Ban is a norm! They take me out often.

My ban won’t go past 2025.

5 Likes

Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by iamtardey: 5:25pm On Feb 15
Meanwhile Nigeria shoprite stores RN …
Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by iamtardey: 5:26pm On Feb 15
Karlifate:
Indians should also open Yaba Right in front of Yaba Left

grin grin

Since everyone wants to be mad these days.
noooo nahh
Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by iamtardey: 5:28pm On Feb 15
I just wonder why h they won’t change color… ahn ahn nah… green yellow whatever angry
Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by ekelebeXstunner: 5:47pm On Feb 15
Yet none are owned by blacks. Tufia! Slaves in their own country. No wonder they’re always angry at non-SA blacks. Plantation mentality.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinese 'Sharprite' Store Opens Right Opposite 'Shoprite' In SA (PICS) by kmaster007: 5:49pm On Feb 15
Expecting them in Lagos soon

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Start Profitable Okrika Business In Nigeria: All You Need To Know. / Folorunso Alakija As A 7-Year-Old In 1951 With Her Sister (Throwback Photo) / GTBank’s Segun Agbaje Spends $200,000 On New Mercedes Maybach

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.