Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,951 members, 7,817,789 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:46 PM

Serena To Meet Teen Andreescu In US Open Final - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Serena To Meet Teen Andreescu In US Open Final (279 Views)

Nadal Beats Medvedev In Epic Australian Open Final / Bianca Andreescu Defeats Serena Williams To Win 2019 US Open (Photos) / US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Serena To Meet Teen Andreescu In US Open Final by Innerkonsult123: 1:50pm On Sep 06, 2019
Serena Williams will face Canadian teenager Bianca Andreescu for the US Open title as the American set herself up for another attempt to clinch a record-equaling 24th Grand Slam singles title. Williams, who turns 38 this month, cruised into a 10th US Open final Thursday by brushing aside fifth seed Elina Svitolina 6-3, 6-1, earning her 101st win at the tournament to draw level with Chris Evert for the most in history. Williams is seeking to match Margaret Court’s all-time record of 24 major titles and will play 19-year-old Andreescu, who defeated Belinda Bencic 7-6 (7/3), 7-5, on Saturday in her bid for a record seventh US Open triumph. “To be in yet another final, it seems honestly crazy. But I don’t really expect too much less,” said Williams, who is through to her 33rd major final. “I’ve had so many chances to pass it (Court’s record) and to have a lot more, but it’s cool because I’m playing in an era with so many — five eras with so many amazing players.” She won her first Grand Slam title at the 1999 US Open — before Andreescu was even born — but has lost her last three major finals since capturing the 2017 Australian Open crown while pregnant. She hasn’t won the US Open since 2014. Williams fought off six break points across her opening three service games before finding her rhythm to dispatch Wimbledon semi-finalist Svitolina in 70 minutes, hitting 34 winners against just 20 unforced errors. “I know how (Svitolina) can play, she’s such a good player,” Williams said. “Obviously two semis in a row are really hard to do and I just wanted to not get off to a slow start and I wanted to hang on in there.” Williams, who was beaten by Simona Halep in the Wimbledon final in July, returns to the championship match in New York a year on from her infamous meltdown in a loss to Naomi Osaka overshadowed by controversy. Svitolina, 24, was attempting to become just the second Ukrainian to play in a Grand Slam singles final after Andrei Medvedev, who lost in five sets to Andre Agassi at the 1999 French Open. “On the important moments, she steps up, always steps up, always brings her best game,” Svitolina said. “She knows what she has to do. She has unbelievable strength. She gives lots of power. There are lots of power behind her shots all the time. That’s what makes her unbelievable, legendary tennis player.”

Source: Punch

Contact InnerKonsult for Professional Services on Tax, Accountancy and CAC Services. O8038460036, www.innerkonsult.com
Re: Serena To Meet Teen Andreescu In US Open Final by sunnychibs(m): 1:55pm On Sep 06, 2019
i will put my stake on the teenager

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Neymar Vs Psg Fans: Bad Blood / Highlight: Di Maria Scores A Brace As PSG Shock Real Madrid In Paris / The Battle For Top-four Spot Begins.(pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.