Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,736 members, 7,809,819 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:28 PM

Analysis Of Each Geopolitical Zone By Unemployment Rate (source: NBS) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Analysis Of Each Geopolitical Zone By Unemployment Rate (source: NBS) (5151 Views)

2022 Insecurity: Deaths By Geopolitical Zone (infographic) / Alcohol Consumption In Nigeria Per Geopolitical Zone - NBS / The Total Number Of Eligible Voters In The 6 Geopolitical Zones In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Analysis Of Each Geopolitical Zone By Unemployment Rate (source: NBS) by Nobody: 6:50pm On Sep 06, 2019
I am going through the National Bureau of Statistics website and I pulled out the Unemployment data to analyze and below are my findings:

The South-South region even with all the bogus federal allocation still remains the zone with the highest unemployment rate. In actual fact, Bayelsa, Rivers, and Akwa-Ibom are the three states with the most unemployment rate in Nigeria.

The South-West zone is the region with the lowest unemployment rate and in actual fact Osun, Oyo, and Ondo are the states with the lowest unemployment rate in Nigeria.

The South-East region trails behind the SW, NW, and NC in terms of unemployment index.

Note: According to NBS:
A person is regarded as employed if he/she is engaged in the production of goods and services, thereby contributing to the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in a legitimate manner (Scammers, Yahoo boys, Drug dealers, and other lilegit works are not included).

The unemployment rate is the proportion of those in the labor force, who were actively looking for work but could not find work for at least 20 hours during the reference period. You are unemployed if you did nothing absolutely nothing at all, or did something but for less than 20hours during the week.

Source:

National Bureau of Statistics
Labor Force Statistics - Volume 2: Unemployment and Underemployment by State (Q3 2018)
https://nigerianstat.gov.ng/elibrary

Cc: lalasticala Mynd44

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Analysis Of Each Geopolitical Zone By Unemployment Rate (source: NBS) by izombie(m): 6:56pm On Sep 06, 2019
So why did you single out the one se and sw? Most igbos are business owners. Even most igbo graduates are business owners.

13 Likes

Re: Analysis Of Each Geopolitical Zone By Unemployment Rate (source: NBS) by Smithkafors(m): 6:58pm On Sep 06, 2019
izombie:
So why did you single out the one se and sw? Most igbos are business owners. Even most igbo graduates are business owners.

Leave them....that's their way.

9 Likes

Re: Analysis Of Each Geopolitical Zone By Unemployment Rate (source: NBS) by Nobody: 7:00pm On Sep 06, 2019
izombie:

Business owners are counted too, they are categorized as employed if I am not wrong. That is why I put up the definition of employment rate given by NBS.

And please stop that statement that Igbos are business owner, what about the other tribes? You mean other tribes don't own business also.

Do you mean the Yorubas don’t own businesses too? Or what exactly do you mean by Igbo own business?

That is a flawed reasoning and stop giving statistics with no verifiable facts.

13 Likes

Re: Analysis Of Each Geopolitical Zone By Unemployment Rate (source: NBS) by a4cube: 7:09pm On Sep 06, 2019
Nigeria is run on informal economy. 90% of nigerians dont pay tax cos their business activities are not recognised yet you cant classify them as unemployed. That woman selling crayfish at your local market is classified as unemployed but in actual sense of a formal economy she is self employed and must fill her tax at the end of the fiscal yr.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Analysis Of Each Geopolitical Zone By Unemployment Rate (source: NBS) by Germannig: 7:12pm On Sep 06, 2019
50% of the employed in Lagos are already Igbos. So troway this your fake statistics

12 Likes

Re: Analysis Of Each Geopolitical Zone By Unemployment Rate (source: NBS) by Germannig: 7:13pm On Sep 06, 2019
Where is the company employing people in OSUN? See fake Naija

9 Likes

Re: Analysis Of Each Geopolitical Zone By Unemployment Rate (source: NBS) by ahaz: 7:19pm On Sep 06, 2019
Iblad0994:

Business owners are counted too, they are categorized as employed if I am not wrong. That is why I put up the definition of employment rate given by NBS.

And please stop that statement that Igbos are business owner, what about the other tribes? You mean other tribes don't own business also.

Do you mean the Yorubas don own business too? Or what exactly do you mean by Igbo own business?

but the last time we checked no south east state has been reported queing up for rice due to improvised labour force..pls don't give me the aba kerosine defiance that's just a political stunt by the governor.
The fact remains that business owners are not actually captured cos if you go to Onitsha more than 80 percent of the population are are traders..aba is the city with the largest concentration of smes in Nigeria.so tell me how will such a region be that unemployed according to your oluwole statistics..After all 90 percent of the businesses in america are smes does that reflect too as unemployment?
The statistics you posted here is actually talking of the labour force according to states so if you say the south west employ more civil servants that I agree but not in the area of self employment cos your governments knows an average Yoruba man is not business inclined so no offence Oga its only a stranger will argue over the Igbo's domination of SNES in Nigeria and such a region can not be described as a grossly unemployed region..civil service yes,..self poyment capital no.

15 Likes

Re: Analysis Of Each Geopolitical Zone By Unemployment Rate (source: NBS) by BuhariAdvocate: 7:23pm On Sep 06, 2019
So only Igbo doing business in Nigeria?
Smithkafors:

Leave them....that's their way.

3 Likes

Re: Analysis Of Each Geopolitical Zone By Unemployment Rate (source: NBS) by Nobody: 7:33pm On Sep 06, 2019
ahaz:
but the last time we checked no south east state has been reported queing up for rice due to improvised labour force..pls don't give me the aba kerosine defiance that's just a political stunt by the governor.
The fact remains that business owners are not actually captured cos if you go to Onitsha more than 80 percent of the population are are traders..aba is the city with the largest concentration of smes in Nigeria.so tell me how will such a region be that unemployed according to your oluwole statistics..After all 90 percent of the businesses in america are smes does that reflect too as unemployment?
The statistics you posted here is actually talking of the labour force according to states so if you say the south west employ more civil servants that I agree but not in the area of self employment cos your governments knows an average Yoruba man is not business inclined so no offence Oga its only a stranger will argue over the Igbo's domination of SNES in Nigeria and such a region can not be described as a grossly unemployed region..civil service yes,..self poyment capital no.

You are saying jargons, you guys come online everyday to regurgitate rubbish about Igbos doing business alone while the other tribes are just useless without any businmess acumen right.

What metrics did you use to conclude that the SE has the most businesses in Nigeria even in the informal sector? Or is this the usual case of IPOB Bureau of Statistics?

Before you talk about Lagos as a SW factor, you can see that the other SW states also show lower unemployment rate which explains the uniformity in the statistics.

Last time, you guys said SE has low IGR because of the fact your citizens don't pay taxes, this time around your point is that the SE are majorly business owner that doesn't count which I already debunked.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Analysis Of Each Geopolitical Zone By Unemployment Rate (source: NBS) by Kamanuozuzu: 7:33pm On Sep 06, 2019
Iblad0994:
I am going through the National Bureau of Statistics website and I pulled out the Unemployment data to analyze and below are my findings:

The South-South region even with all the bogus federal allocation still remains the zone with the highest unemployment rate. In actual fact, Bayelsa, Rivers, and Akwa-Ibom are the three states with the most unemployment rate in Nigeria.

The South-West zone is the region with the lowest unemployment rate and in actual fact Osun, Oyo, and Ondo are the states with the lowest unemployment rate in Nigeria.

The South-East region trails behind the SW, NW, and NC in terms of unemployment index.

Note: According to NBS:
A person is regarded as employed if he/she is engaged in the production of goods and services, thereby contributing to the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in a legitimate manner (Scammers, Yahoo boys, Drug dealers, and other lilegit works are not included).

The unemployment rate is the proportion of those in the labor force, who were actively looking for work but could not find work for at least 20 hours during the reference period. You are unemployed if you did nothing absolutely nothing at all, or did something but for less than 20hours during the week.

Source:

National Bureau of Statistics
Labor Force Statistics - Volume 2: Unemployment and Underemployment by State (Q3 2018)
https://nigerianstat.gov.ng/elibrary

Cc: lalasticala Mynd44

They're all self-employed. I guess u guys don't know the meaning.

3 Likes

Re: Analysis Of Each Geopolitical Zone By Unemployment Rate (source: NBS) by Nobody: 7:37pm On Sep 06, 2019
Kamanuozuzu:

They're all self-employed. I guess u guys don't know the meaning.

Another IPOB Bureau of Statistics statement. Self employed Ko, self unemployed ni

8 Likes

Re: Analysis Of Each Geopolitical Zone By Unemployment Rate (source: NBS) by Nobody: 7:40pm On Sep 06, 2019
Germannig:
50% of the employed in Lagos are already Igbos. So troway this your fake statistics

LOL, IPOB Bureau of Statistics on this one.

What about those of Osun, Oyo, Ondo, and Ogun, that has the lowest unemployment rate, how many percentage of Igbos are employed in these states? Like 80%?

8 Likes

Re: Analysis Of Each Geopolitical Zone By Unemployment Rate (source: NBS) by mrvitalis(m): 7:41pm On Sep 06, 2019
Blah blah lets go to regional government lets see

1 Like

Re: Analysis Of Each Geopolitical Zone By Unemployment Rate (source: NBS) by Area4Area: 7:44pm On Sep 06, 2019
a4cube:
Nigeria is run on informal economy. 90% of nigerians dont pay tax cos their business activities are not recognised yet you cant classify them as unemployed. That woman selling crayfish at your local market is classified as unemployed but in actual sense of a formal economy she is self employed and must fill her tax at the end of the fiscal yr.
Good enough because I was about pointing this out before you did

1 Like

Re: Analysis Of Each Geopolitical Zone By Unemployment Rate (source: NBS) by itsme01: 7:48pm On Sep 06, 2019
grin

As if we dont know already that our oyel money people and ipob no get work

2 Likes

Re: Analysis Of Each Geopolitical Zone By Unemployment Rate (source: NBS) by omenka(m): 7:52pm On Sep 06, 2019
Time for Another round of needless fight between folks who've got nothing useful to do with their time while critical issues affecting all of us as a people and a nation are shoved to the back burner.

The reason why the unemployment rates seem high will be totally lost on them- bad government from top to bottom. They'd rather dwell on needless pissing contest between their zones.

Shame on us!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Analysis Of Each Geopolitical Zone By Unemployment Rate (source: NBS) by Nobody: 7:53pm On Sep 06, 2019
a4cube:

Everyone already knew we have informal sector, but you guys always come online to acknowledge the fact that the Nigeria unemployment rate is 23.1% and the world as a whole use that metrics in judging Nigeria. ( So why the mention of informal sector this time around)

Most nation have their own inefficiencies and that always reflect in the unemployment index when reported, you can't just use some slight variation in the figure in the case of informal sector as a determinant to say the figures are totally wrong.

Also, how did some of the guys up there come up with the conclusion that only SE does business and hence that justifies why they had a higer unemployment rate. My question is that what about other regions? Do you mean they captured the informal sectors of other region in the metrics and purposely left the SE region informal sector? Or do you mean other regions don't have the informal sectors?

If we are going by your analogy of informal sector to condemn the statistics, then it will be good to condemn all statistics when they say Nigeria has one of the highest unemployment rate in the world.

6 Likes

Re: Analysis Of Each Geopolitical Zone By Unemployment Rate (source: NBS) by Nobody: 7:56pm On Sep 06, 2019
My own observation is why the South-South region has that much unemployment rate judging by the bogus allocation they are getting from the FG.

LOoking at the figure for Bayelsa, Rivers, and Akwa-Ibom, something needs to be done to curtail this menace. The governors of those region need to step up their game coz it is starting to look like crude oil is a curse to the SS and Nigeria as a whole.

3 Likes

Re: Analysis Of Each Geopolitical Zone By Unemployment Rate (source: NBS) by Germannig: 7:56pm On Sep 06, 2019
This your graph shows unemployment rate of SW being higher than those of others. You see what I am talking about. Dagbo olodo

5 Likes

Re: Analysis Of Each Geopolitical Zone By Unemployment Rate (source: NBS) by Germannig: 8:02pm On Sep 06, 2019
In Q3 2018, Akwa Ibom state reported the highest unemployment rate (37.7%), followed by Rivers State with (36.4%), Bayelsa state (32.6%), Abia (31.6%) and Borno state (31.4%). The top 5 states with the highest unemployed population are Rivers (1,673,991), Akwa Ibom (1,357,754), Kano (1,257,130), Lagos (1,088,352) and Kaduna with (940,480).

2 Likes

Re: Analysis Of Each Geopolitical Zone By Unemployment Rate (source: NBS) by Nobody: 8:03pm On Sep 06, 2019
Germannig:
This your graph shows unemployment rate of SW being higher than those of others. You see what I am talking about. Dagbo olodo

Thanks for your observation, I actually used a different title on the chart by mistake which is the Labor workforce population by zone. If you check the y-axis you will see that the dimension is in millions.

I already updated the right chart for the unemployment rate by zone.

1 Like

Re: Analysis Of Each Geopolitical Zone By Unemployment Rate (source: NBS) by Nobody: 8:08pm On Sep 06, 2019
Germannig:

You are an olodo. F9 MATERIAL. Gerrara here. Fake dagbo man

Haha brother I collect your wife ni.

What I uploaded is from the NBS website, if you want to fight anyone go to their office in Abuja nao.

2 Likes

Re: Analysis Of Each Geopolitical Zone By Unemployment Rate (source: NBS) by PeaceNexus(m): 8:15pm On Sep 06, 2019
Nigeria as a whole doesn't have any reliable fact on anything.. Not even our population. Any data from the Federal Republic of Nigeria is formulated and not a true representation of the reality but rather a conjecture. Mind you, most of these small businesses are not registered with CAC. So how exactly did they arrive at that ? Through Nigeria population? Through registered businesses? Through tax paid by employed Nigerians in public or private sector or both? We gat no data right in this country. Not even the volume of crude exported that people are employed to monitor.
Iblad0994:

Do you mean the Yorubas don own business too? Or what exactly do you mean by Igbo own business?

1 Like

Re: Analysis Of Each Geopolitical Zone By Unemployment Rate (source: NBS) by Nobody: 8:20pm On Sep 06, 2019
PeaceNexus:
Nigeria as a whole doesn't have any reliable fact on anything.. Not even our population. Any data from the Federal Republic of Nigeria is formulated and not a true representation of the reality but rather a conjecture. Mind you, most of these small businesses are not registered with CAC. So how exactly did they arrive at that ? Through Nigeria population? Through registered businesses? Through tax paid by employed Nigerians in public or private sector or both? We gat no data right in this country. Not even the volume of crude exported that people are employed to monitor.

Well you might be right by your statement about Nigeria not having a reliable data. But at least we should be able to work with the one provided by NBS even if it will be with like 60% confidence.

Do you agree the National unemployment rate is 23.1% according to NBS? Since we know their data might be fake the that means all the unemployment figure we've had sine 1999 till date is fake, and also the world in general is using fake data to judge Nigeria all this while.

Although if your logic seems to be right, then I can confidently say Nigeria unemployment figure will be worse than the 23.1% currently reported by NBS and those of past years might also be worse or what do you think.
Re: Analysis Of Each Geopolitical Zone By Unemployment Rate (source: NBS) by Harlem2(m): 8:21pm On Sep 06, 2019
Germannig:

Igbo are their 50% ipob statistics

5 Likes

Re: Analysis Of Each Geopolitical Zone By Unemployment Rate (source: NBS) by Ikeg1: 8:29pm On Sep 06, 2019
Where the hell do you keep getting your statistics from? This is the second time you posted some Bullshit claiming it came from NBS without providing actual link to back up what you said.

For one the graphs provided by you were NOT posted by NBS in the last statistics posted by them in regards to unemployment.

For two, the unemployment statistics conducted by NBS did not include those that are self employed. The focus was on Labor force which they repeatedly mentioned through out their report. SW had the least unemployment rate because SW had the highest population in Labor force.

For three they did not differentiate between ethnicity in each state meaning SS, SE, North that are employed in SW states are recorded in SW statistics and vice versa for each region. Which one of their fucking disclaimer actually emphasized

"State unemployment is a “moment-in-time” index only and can change quite quickly. It is therefore, advisable to be cautious in comparing trends, particularly amongst States, because of the ease of movement across State borders, as job seekers search for employment or economic opportunities in other states. Favourable conditions in one state may lead to an influx of jobseekers in that state and in the process increasing unemployment in the perfoming state, while reducing the unemployment rate in the originating state. This may give a false impression that the state with the lower unemployment rate is perfoming better."

For four SS did not have the highest unemployment rate. According to NBS report, all three Northern region did.

And for five you neglected to inform everyone that SW is equally having an increase in unemployment excluding Lagos and Ondo in comparison to other regions.

For anyone interested in reading the report, this is the actual REAL report.
https://nigerianstat.gov.ng/download/929

This is the second time you created a graph, posted it on NL, and accredited to NBS.

1 Like

Re: Analysis Of Each Geopolitical Zone By Unemployment Rate (source: NBS) by izombie(m): 8:31pm On Sep 06, 2019
Iblad0994:

please don't twist my words. I said "most" igbos. And where did i say yorubas or other tribes do not own business? And if business owners are categorised as employed then that is flawed. That's all i have to say on this topic for now. But i ask again, why did you separate the stats of se and sw from the others?
Re: Analysis Of Each Geopolitical Zone By Unemployment Rate (source: NBS) by PeaceNexus(m): 8:34pm On Sep 06, 2019
There are laid down scientific ways of arriving at some of these data, if you get the primary data wrong all other data will be based on the wrong data thereby making a mess of every other secondary data generated from the primary one. We don't have any data right except the data that states the number of senators, house of rep members and Governors. Unemployment rate is far above what is reported. And I repeat, all data supplied by any arm/agency of government in this country is a mere conjecture
Iblad0994:

Well you might be right by your statement about Nigeria not having a reliable data. But at least we should be able to work with the one provided by NBS even if it will be with like 60% confidence.

Do you agree the National unemployment rate is 23.1% according to NBS? Since we know their data might be fake the that means all the unemployment figure we've had sine 1999 till date is fake, and also the world in general is using fake data to judge Nigeria all this while.

Although if your logic seems to be right, then I can confidently say Nigeria unemployment figure will be worse than the 23.1% currently reported by NBS and those of past years might also be worse or what do you think.

1 Like

Re: Analysis Of Each Geopolitical Zone By Unemployment Rate (source: NBS) by Nobody: 8:40pm On Sep 06, 2019
izombie:
please don't twist my words. I said "most" igbos. And where did i say yorubas or other tribes do not own business? And if business owners are categorised as employed then that is flawed. That's all i have to say on this topic for now. But i ask again, why did you separate the stats of se and sw from the others?

How did you come up with the statistics that Igbos own the most business? Which research or analysis have you carried out to reach that conclusion.

Have you gone around the state in the federation to count the number of businesses to conclude? When you said business are you talking about the self employed only, retail business, wholesale business, agriculture, and etc.

1 Like

Re: Analysis Of Each Geopolitical Zone By Unemployment Rate (source: NBS) by Nobody: 8:46pm On Sep 06, 2019
Ikeg1:
Where the hell do you keep getting your statistics from? This is the second time you posted some Bullshit claiming it came from NBS without providing actual link to back up what you said.

For one the graphs provided by you were NOT posted by NBS in the last statistics posted by them in regards to unemployment.

For two, the unemployment statistics conducted by NBS did not include those that are self employed. The focus was on Labor force which they repeatedly mentioned through out their report. SW had the least unemployment rate because SW had the highest population in Labor force.

For three they did not differentiate between ethnicity in each state meaning SS, SE, North that are employed in SW states are recorded in SW statistics and vice versa for each region. Which one of their fucking disclaimer actually emphasized

"State unemployment is a “moment-in-time” index only and can change quite quickly. It is therefore, advisable to be cautious in comparing trends, particularly amongst States, because of the ease of movement across State borders, as job seekers search for employment or economic opportunities in other states. Favourable conditions in one state may lead to an influx of jobseekers in that state and in the process increasing unemployment in the perfoming state, while reducing the unemployment rate in the originating state. This may give a false impression that the state with the lower unemployment rate is perfoming better."

For four SS did not have the highest unemployment rate. According to NBS report, all three Northern region did.

And for five you neglected to inform everyone that SW is equally having an increase in unemployment excluding Lagos and Ondo in comparison to other regions.

For anyone interested in reading the report, this is the actual REAL report.
https://nigerianstat.gov.ng/download/929

This is the second time you created a graph, posted it on NL, and accredited to NBS.

You should understand the difference between underemployment and Unemployment with reference to the definition by NBS and also universal definition. This thread is based on the unemployment figures and NOT underemployment and it is for the 2018-Q3.

Also You are mixing facts up, Unemployment population is different from unemployment Rate.

In Q3 2018, Akwa Ibom state reported the highest unemployment rate (37.7%), followed by Rivers State
with (36.4%), Bayelsa state (32.6%), Abia (31.6%) and Borno state (31.4%).

The top 5 states with the highest unemployed population are Rivers (1,673,991), Akwa Ibom (1,357,754), Kano (1,257,130), Lagos
(1,088,352) and Kaduna with (940,480). Among these 5 states with the highest unemployed population, Lagos state reported the lowest rate of 14.6% during the reference quarter.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Man Asks El-rufai For Update On His Son Enrolled In Public School. Gov Reacts / Farouk AbdulMutallab Wants To Be Tried Under Sharia / ICC Places Nigeria Under Watch Over Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.