Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,127 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:40 AM

Reviewing The Nigerian Civil War And Its Effect On Contemporary Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reviewing The Nigerian Civil War And Its Effect On Contemporary Nigeria (978 Views)

Twitter Deletes Buhari’s Tweet About Nigerian Civil War - Peoples Gazette / We Are Ready For Dialogue on Contemporary Issues --- Bariga Youth / Minimum Wage: Buhari Has Scammed You, PDP Tells Nigerian Civil Servants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reviewing The Nigerian Civil War And Its Effect On Contemporary Nigeria by Ctorch: 12:13am On Sep 07, 2019
Reviewing The Nigerian Civil War and its Effect on Contemporary Nigeria

By Reno Omokri
Till today, I don't understand the rationale behind the Nigerian Civil War. If the East had taken a chunk of the Midwest or West or those parts of the North having consanguinity with the Igbos, the war might have been justifiable.
The Eastern Region decided to pull out of Nigeria. They were not consulted before the British put this forced marriage together. They decided to leave after back and forth killings. There was no reason on Earth that could justify that war. They were not like Germany that took other people's territory.

Even today, the mainstream of Northern Nigeria (The Fulani intelligentsia) do not even pretend to like the Southeast. What was it that made them decide to fight that war to keep Nigeria one? Look at General Buhari. Even a fool knows he believes in North, not Nigeria.
There has never been a more unjust war than the Nigerian Civil War. And to the spiritually minded man, most of the problems Nigeria is having today is as a result of our paying the price for the innocent blood shed between 1967-70.
If I was Ojukwu, and I was faced with the same options he faced in 1967, I would also have opted for secession. I may not have done it in May. I would have tried to get international backing. But I would have still seceded.

The Nigerian Civil War was not fought because the Fulani intelligentsia loved the Igbo. I put it to Nigeria that if oil had been in the North rather than the East, there would have been NO WAR. That war should be called the Nigerian Oil War, not the Nigerian Civil War.
Gowon was just a mere pawn. An inoffensive man that was sent packing when he outlived his usefulness to his masters. Look at his Plateau people. The way they are being killed and wasted is sad. The once strong Langtang Mafia has been castrated.
I was a strong believer in Nigerian unity until the 2002 Sharia crisis. The comments of General Buhari fed the crisis and led to bloodshed. And Nigeria elected that man in 2015. It is like a church giving her pastorate to satan.

Nigeria exists ONLY because of oil. Our unity is not LOVE based. It is OIL based. I saw that during AFCON 2013. Some Nigerians rooted for another country because they felt the Super Eagles were dominated by Easterners. The mentality that led to the civil war is still alive.
The population of Nigeria will continue to outgrow GDP. There will be an implosion. It is only a matter of time if we don’t restructure and I do not see the North agreeing to restructuring. Nigeria is a bad marriage no one wants but every one is too cowardly to say it.
Why Do Nigerian politicians like to pretend? So if you say the truth then you will not win election or they won't appoint you as a minister? Look at how General Buhari has destroyed Nigeria. If we don't talk now, we will not be any better than those who do.
To know how Nigeria has deteriorated since the civil war, consider that in 1967, our federal budget was comparable to the budget of New York State. Today, our budget is comparable to just the combined budget of the New York Police Department and New York Fire Dept.

My dear fellow citizens, look, let us start to tell ourselves some home truths. The last time Nigeria worked as it should work was in 1966. Ever since then, we have just been managing. People like Obasanjo tried to stabilise us. People like Buhari neutralised his good work
Until we go back and undo the historic injustice done to the Igbo and then fully bring them back to the mainstream and restructure Nigeria back to what we agreed with the British before independence, incompetents like Buhari will continue to thwart our progress.

Reno Omokri

Thinker. #1 Bestselling author of Facts Versus Fiction: The True Story of the Jonathan Years. Avid traveller. Table Shaker. Buhari Tormentor. Sharer of the Gospel, not the gossip.
#ReviewingTheNigerianCivilWar

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reviewing The Nigerian Civil War And Its Effect On Contemporary Nigeria by mrnigerdelta: 12:28am On Sep 07, 2019
Reno always on point
Re: Reviewing The Nigerian Civil War And Its Effect On Contemporary Nigeria by wakaman: 12:53am On Sep 07, 2019
Reno na den den person
Re: Reviewing The Nigerian Civil War And Its Effect On Contemporary Nigeria by Nobody: 2:42am On Sep 07, 2019
Ctorch:
Reviewing The Nigerian Civil War and its Effect on Contemporary Nigeria

By Reno Omokri
Till today, I don't understand the rationale behind the Nigerian Civil War. If the East had taken a chunk of the Midwest or West or those parts of the North having consanguinity with the Igbos, the war might have been justifiable.

My dear fellow citizens, look, let us start to tell ourselves some home truths. The last time Nigeria worked as it should work was in 1966. Ever since then, we have just been managing. People like Obasanjo tried to stabilise us. People like Buhari neutralised his good work

Reno Omokri

Thinker. #1 Bestselling author of Facts Versus Fiction: The True Story of the Jonathan Years. Avid traveller. Table Shaker. Buhari Tormentor. Sharer of the Gospel, not the gossip.
#ReviewingTheNigerianCivilWar

@the bolded, If Nigeria worked pre-1966, then why did the Nzeogwus kill other tribe leaders? why does the eastern region wished to secede from a working region? Why blame everybody else than the ethnic group that truncated a working system first? Why blame other people when a certain ethnic group initially opposed a secession clause in the constitution? Why will an ethnic group that stop the Niger Delta volunteer force from seceding and charged their leader of treason plan to secede from Nigeria?

This country will be better when everyone stop exhibiting this victim mentality syndrome and we come to the realization that every tribe is wrong. We need to forgive ourselves and forget the hurtful past to forge a better future. Even if a tribe wishes to secede now, they can actually go about that without demonizing other tribe coz most times negotiation, diplomacy, and dialogues can achieve a lot rather than just emotional outburst and hate speeches.

Reno should stop writing this kind of sensational news and stop talking about a certain ethnic group Maltreatment every time coz this only fuel hatred and Naija will keep swimming in tribal animosity if this remains.

1 Like

Re: Reviewing The Nigerian Civil War And Its Effect On Contemporary Nigeria by kettle84(m): 3:45am On Sep 07, 2019
we need a savour to lead Nigeria to glory.Nigeria will rise and reposition itself as a leading nation in the world.

check my signature for a Ginoee F205Lite smartphone
Re: Reviewing The Nigerian Civil War And Its Effect On Contemporary Nigeria by helinues: 5:03am On Sep 07, 2019
But we have moved on now.. Except if some people are still having grudges towards others
Re: Reviewing The Nigerian Civil War And Its Effect On Contemporary Nigeria by gidgiddy: 6:54am On Sep 07, 2019
Nigeria has never worked, let's not fool ourselves. People who tall about "one Nigeria" do so because of 'Oil' not out of love for anybody

Nigeria is a forced marriage created by the British and it is time to allow the Igbo man to exit and have his own country

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reviewing The Nigerian Civil War And Its Effect On Contemporary Nigeria by Yujin(m): 8:11am On Sep 07, 2019
Iblad0994:

@the bolded, If Nigeria worked pre-1966, then why did the Nzeogwus kill other tribe leaders? why does the eastern region wished to secede from a working region? Why blame everybody else than the ethnic group that truncated a working system first? Why blame other people when a certain ethnic group initially opposed a secession clause in the constitution? Why will an ethnic group that stop the Niger Delta volunteer force from seceding and charged their leader of treason plan to secede from Nigeria?

This country will be better when everyone stop exhibiting this victim mentality syndrome and we come to the realization that every tribe is wrong. We need to forgive ourselves and forget the hurtful past to forge a better future. Even if a tribe wishes to secede now, they can actually go about that without demonizing other tribe coz most times negotiation, diplomacy, and dialogues can achieve a lot rather than just emotional outburst and hate speeches.

Reno should stop writing this kind of sensational news and stop talking about a certain ethnic group Maltreatment every time coz this only fuel hatred and Naija will keep swimming in tribal animosity if this remains.
If not that you're blinded by hate you would have seen that the eastern region did all they could to remain in Nigeria where the lives of her people are valued. They went to Aburi and had an agreement only for Gowon to fail in keeping to the terms. It doesn't matter to you that tens of thousands of easterners were being murdered in cold blood as at that time. You asked why the Nzeogwus carried out a lopsided coup and you feel that a pogrom is justified in that instance. Your types deserve no mercy because of how unreasonable you are. Nigeria must choose one between the two: give Igbos their rightful place in Nigeria or divided the hellhole. You can't keep us as you deem fit. Something must give way. The envy and jealousy your type have for us can't stop us. We are a blessed people and it's evident to all. May you choke on your hate.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reviewing The Nigerian Civil War And Its Effect On Contemporary Nigeria by Nobody: 2:43pm On Sep 07, 2019
Yujin:

If not that you're blinded by hate you would have seen that the eastern region did all they could to remain in Nigeria where the lives of her people are valued. They went to Aburi and had an agreement only for Gowon to fail in keeping to the terms. It doesn't matter to you that tens of thousands of easterners were being murdered in cold blood as at that time. You asked why the Nzeogwus carried out a lopsided coup and you feel that a pogrom is justified in that instance. Your types deserve no mercy because of how unreasonable you are. Nigeria must choose one between the two: give Igbos their rightful place in Nigeria or divided the hellhole. You can't keep us as you deem fit. Something must give way. The envy and jealousy your type have for us can't stop us. We are a blessed people and it's evident to all. May you choke on your hate.

This is what I am saying, you are still being emotional. In life, actions will always beget consequences and most times situation get out of hand that you might think the consequences will be less but it may turn out to be devastating.

I’m Yoruba, and even when Nzeogwu gangs killed our western region premier (Akintola) and other Yoruba leaders, we never killed any Igbo in retaliation, infact we restrained ourselves even in the face of some of you guys printing posters and boasting how you killed other tribe leaders, we remain calm.

The people that are savages are the northerners, they are the one that don’t forgive and tbh I can’t soeak for the north on how to react to situation, I can’t tell the north to do like the SW in that situation coz ideology is different.

You’re talking about jealousy of other ethnic group to the Igbo man, why will the Yoruba be jealous of the Igbos? What have you ever done as an ethnic group that we have not done double? What have any Igbo man achieved that the Yoruba hasn’t achieved? Envy you for what? Or is it just your own delusional mind trying to tell you that you’re better?

If you can access all Nigeria ethnic groups, the Yorubas have always been the calm Type and do not always take decision in haste, we’ve learnt to be liberal enough to accommodate different thoughts and different beliefs, we’ve also learnt how to live as human being devoid of irrational hate which is evident in most of other tribes.

The decision to make Igbos remain in Nigeria will also be the decision they will use against the Yorubas if we try to break away from Nigeria also then. Infact, the Yorubas will be fought more if we try to break away due to the Lagos factor then, it is the seat of power and there will be consequences if we try to break out of Nigeria and we will be fought just like the Igbos at that time. The difference here is that we have no reason to break out of Nigeria then coz our region leads in innovation and economy while other region lags behind (That is why Awolowo and other Yoruba leaders don’t deem it fit to secede).

Niger delta tried to break away from Nigeria before and that secession is led by Adaka Boro, the eastern region leaders(Ojukwu et. al) colluded with the central government and charged him of treason.

What I don’t understand is why you guys blame everyone but yourself. You suddenly came at me and trying to tell me I hate you or other crazy stuffs, but I'm restraining myself to not come at you with the same magnitude of hate.

1 Like

Re: Reviewing The Nigerian Civil War And Its Effect On Contemporary Nigeria by goodnessme1(f): 3:15pm On Sep 07, 2019
All i know is the zoo must go down.
Re: Reviewing The Nigerian Civil War And Its Effect On Contemporary Nigeria by Yujin(m): 3:56pm On Sep 07, 2019
Iblad0994:

This is what I am saying, you are still being emotional. In life, actions will always beget consequences and most times situation get out of hand that you might think the consequences will be less but it may turn out to be devastating.

I’m Yoruba, and even when Nzeogwu gangs killed our western region premier (Akintola) and other Yoruba leaders, we never killed any Igbo in retaliation, infact we restrained ourselves even in the face of some of you guys printing posters and boasting how you killed other tribe leaders, we remain calm.

The people that are savages are the northerners, they are the one that don’t forgive and tbh I can’t soeak for the north on how to react to situation, I can’t tell the north to do like the SW in that situation coz ideology is different.

You’re talking about jealousy of other ethnic group to the Igbo man, why will the Yoruba be jealous of the Igbos? What have you ever done as an ethnic group that we have not done double? What have any Igbo man achieved that the Yoruba hasn’t achieved? Envy you for what? Or is it just your own delusional mind trying to tell you that you’re better?

If you can access all Nigeria ethnic groups, the Yorubas have always been the calm Type and do not always take decision in haste, we’ve learnt to be liberal enough to accommodate different thoughts and different beliefs, we’ve also learnt how to live as human being devoid of irrational hate which is evident in most of other tribes.

The decision to make Igbos remain in Nigeria will also be the decision they will use against the Yorubas if we try to break away from Nigeria also then. Infact, the Yorubas will be fought more if we try to break away due to the Lagos factor then, it is the seat of power and there will be consequences if we try to break out of Nigeria and we will be fought just like the Igbos at that time. The difference here is that we have no reason to break out of Nigeria then coz our region leads in innovation and economy while other region lags behind (That is why Awolowo and other Yoruba leaders don’t deem it fit to secede).

Niger delta tried to break away from Nigeria before and that secession is led Adaka Boro, the eastern region leaders(Ojukwu et. al) colluded with the central government and charged him with treason.

What I don’t understand is why you guys blame everyone but yourself. You suddenly came at me and trying to tell me I hate you or other crazy stuffs, but I'm restraining myself to come at you with the same magnitude of hate.
You're still stuck with the wrong narrative that nothing I say can change your line of thought. Out of the several coup carried out in Nigeria, only one has a tribe attached to it. Isn't that deliberate? The way you sound is quite annoying. Despite the fact that that first coup had other tribes as active participants, you still hanged it on Igbos. Coups everywhere are carried out by military personnel but for your likes, that coup was an Igbo coup. Everyone knows that any action has an opposite reaction which in the case of humans may not be equal but we must be sincere to apportion blames to the appropriate quarters. Your hate still surfaced when you included Ojukwu as one of those that stopped Adaka Boro's secession. Where was Ojukwu then and what was his rank? What role did he play? I'm not interested in any dick measurement with Yorubas because both groups have achieved a lot and deserve some respect. However, the deliberate attempt of majority of your type in Yorubaland to profile Ndigbo and ensure that the evil narrative and the subsequent oppressive treatment meted on us will be challenged by Igbos like me and believe me we are in millions. You and the rest of your likes both in Yorubaland and other tribes in Nigeria can never win. No matter the cost, we will explore it and bet me, if it degenerates to violence again, it will spell doom for the negriod people. If you're not comfortable with Igbos, then support their secession and build your Nigeria with those you're comfortable with. However, if you insist on denying and worst still continue to negatively represent us to the world then you will get what you deserve. Our youth are fully aware of what your likes are doing and we will give it back to you in full measure. Our nation is a great one and in due time, we shall bring forth our own unique contribution to humanity. None of your likes can stop us.

4 Likes

Re: Reviewing The Nigerian Civil War And Its Effect On Contemporary Nigeria by Nobody: 4:32pm On Sep 07, 2019
Yujin:

You're still stuck with the wrong narrative that nothing I say can change your line of thought. Out of the several coup carried out in Nigeria, only one has a tribe attached to it. Isn't that deliberate? The way you sound is quite annoying. Despite the fact that that first coup had other tribes as active participants, you still hanged it on Igbos. Coups everywhere are carried out by military personnel but for your likes, that coup was an Igbo coup. Everyone knows that any action has an opposite reaction which in the case of humans may not be equal but we must be sincere to apportion blames to the appropriate quarters. Your hate still surfaced when you included Ojukwu as one of those that stopped Adaka Boro's secession. Where was Ojukwu then and what was his rank? What role did he play? I'm not interested in any dick measurement with Yorubas because both groups have achieved a lot and deserve some respect. However, the deliberate attempt of majority of your type in Yorubaland to profile Ndigbo and ensure that the evil narrative and the subsequent oppressive treatment meted on us will be challenged by Igbos like me and believe me we are in millions. You and the rest of your likes both in Yorubaland and other tribes in Nigeria can never win. No matter the cost, we will explore it and bet me, if it degenerates to violence again, it will spell doom for the negriod people. If you're not comfortable with Igbos, then support their secession and build your Nigeria with those you're comfortable with. However, if you insist on denying and worst still continue to negatively represent us to the world then you will get what you deserve. Our youth are fully aware of what your likes are doing and we will give it back to you in full measure. Our nation is a great one and in due time, we shall bring forth our own unique contribution to humanity. None of your likes can stop us.

Adaka Boro was charged with treason under Aguiyi Oronsi an Igbo man and with the support of the Igbos at that time because the Igbos do not want the Niger delta out of the Union coz of the crude oil.

Adaka Boro later said in his memoir on the eve of the civil war that “ He would not swap his Nigerian citizenship for that of a Biafran under domination by Igbo people”. Remeber he was pardoned by Gowon and after that he supported the federal side.

The reason why I mentioned him is to tell you of the hypocrisy of the Igbo leaders at that time, you stopped an agitator of freedom by every instrument of force you can use and after few years you suddenly wanted a liberation from the union also. Karma is real you know.

Like I’ve said, Nigeria is a country with different ethnic loyalties, and the leaders have all find a way to deal with any rebellious attitude in unison. If a Yoruba had tried to secede in 1967, it would have turned to the same thing (War), it’s not because it was Igbos that secede, it’s just because the people that created Nigeria is still holding it ruling behind the scene (British), and they will oppose any break of the union then.

I’m happy you rescind your statement about the Igbos being envied coz they are better than other people, that’s a figment of the average Igbo man imagination, it’s false and it’s a fallacy of hasty generalization. The Yorubas have achieved everything you’ve ever achieved in your existence and I always have a saying that the Igbo man future is the Yoruba man past.

Now to the recent past, you wanted to secede from Nigeria which is your right if Nigeria were to be a sane country. I am not against the Igbos getting their Biafra, it’s your right and no one should hold you back against your will.

But you should learn to conquer hate with love, you don’t just go about abusing other ethnic group to get your Biafra. You need bridge building and not hate, coz Kanu started with advising his kinsmen to kill any oyoruba bastard and continues to preach hate to achieve his goals. Do you think the average Yoruba man will be supportive to someone that constantly hate them?

Nigeria is a sovereign country with its own constitution, to achieve Biafra If has to be two ways:
Either by selling your ideas in a civil way and diplomatic negotiation with other tribes to get a call for referendum through a peaceful process OR through war if the peace path fails.

You either choose the peaceful diplomatic way OR the war path to achieve Biafra!

If you don’t want the war path, then you need to know your enemies and forge alliance with those that can still be your friends. You shouldn’t fight everyone but yourselves and think you will achieve your aim.

2 Likes

Re: Reviewing The Nigerian Civil War And Its Effect On Contemporary Nigeria by T9ksy(m): 4:32pm On Sep 07, 2019
Yujin:

Sorry oga but we 've heard it all before. No shakin', just bring it on whenever you are ready. until then, can you please stop disturbing our peace.
Re: Reviewing The Nigerian Civil War And Its Effect On Contemporary Nigeria by Nobody: 5:02pm On Sep 07, 2019
The Igbo question is what is holding this country in shackles. Until it is resolved and true reconciliation conceived by all parties, this country will never make progress.

It's not about who did what before or at the end of the war, it's about the secret policy of keeping the Igbo down. We should learn from other countries who fought civil wars and still reconciled their differences.

If statement like 'Igbo Will Never Be President' can still be a usual bant in 2019 or the braggadocio of still taunting the genocide of '3 Million Osu's' then no headway will take place.

Let there be true reconciliation before we talk about revolution or other big grammers.
Re: Reviewing The Nigerian Civil War And Its Effect On Contemporary Nigeria by PeaceNexus(m): 5:06pm On Sep 07, 2019
Its just a matter of time before the base would give way. The country as it stands today is unsustainable and skewed against the Igbos. Igbo people are different and they don't like being boxed to a corner. Sometime, someday whatever is temporarily holding the current status will give way, except if Nigeria reverts to true federalism.

2 Likes

Re: Reviewing The Nigerian Civil War And Its Effect On Contemporary Nigeria by Ugwuoha: 6:27pm On Sep 07, 2019
Nigeria is gone already. What is left is her carcass undergoing the painful process of decay and disintegration.

1 Like

Re: Reviewing The Nigerian Civil War And Its Effect On Contemporary Nigeria by Yujin(m): 10:46pm On Sep 07, 2019
T9ksy:

Sorry oga but we 've heard it all before. No shakin', just bring it on whenever you are ready. until then, can you please disturbing our peace.
It's just a matter of time. Nothing lasts forever. Hopefully, it shall happen in your time.

2 Likes

Re: Reviewing The Nigerian Civil War And Its Effect On Contemporary Nigeria by T9ksy(m): 10:03am On Sep 11, 2019
Yujin:

It's just a matter of time. Nothing lasts forever. Hopefully, it shall happen in your time.

I sincerely hope the disintegration of this faulty union occurs in my lifetime.

Words of advice- if you ibos truly want out of the union, just pack your bags whereever you are in the country and head back to your homeland and stay put to defend your ancestral land from those you claim hates and envies you.
Re: Reviewing The Nigerian Civil War And Its Effect On Contemporary Nigeria by Yujin(m): 4:14pm On Sep 11, 2019
T9ksy:

I sincerely hope the disintegration of this faulty union occurs in my lifetime.

Words of advice- if you ibos truly want out of the union, just pack your bags whereever you are in the country and head back to your homeland and stay put to defend your ancestral land from those you claim hates and envies you.
Keep your advice to yourself. Igbos will leave your land en mass after the disintegration not before because no one will condition us on how to live. Our fathers left before and you gathered yourselves to our land. This time around we stay put wherever and slug it out until the division has been finalized with UN backing before we leave.

1 Like

Re: Reviewing The Nigerian Civil War And Its Effect On Contemporary Nigeria by T9ksy(m): 7:09pm On Sep 13, 2019
Yujin:

Keep your advice to yourself. Igbos will leave your land en mass after the disintegration not before because no one will condition us on how to live. Our fathers left before and you gathered yourselves to our land. This time around we stay put wherever and slug it out until the division has been finalized with UN backing before we leave.

So, why didn't your brave(sic) guys "stay put and slug it out" with your host after the Kadunna declaration?

Instead your leaders came with their tails between their yam legs to beg the northerners not to evict them.

1 Like

Re: Reviewing The Nigerian Civil War And Its Effect On Contemporary Nigeria by Yujin(m): 8:29pm On Sep 13, 2019
T9ksy:

So, why didn't your brave(sic) guys "stay put and slug it out" with your host after the Kadunna declaration?

Instead your leaders came with their tails between their yam legs to beg the northerners not to evict them.
You can run your mouth as you wish but the truth will hit you guys when you least expect. We remain where we wish to stay until the shithole is officially divided before we leave. Your hatred can't do nothing to us.
Re: Reviewing The Nigerian Civil War And Its Effect On Contemporary Nigeria by jkendy(m): 8:40pm On Sep 13, 2019
I guess this could be the reason why they decided to scrap history out of our secondary school syllabus in order for our kids not to know anything about our wicked past.
We need to be revisiting our history from time to time, especially our leaders, so they can 'geh sense'

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Osinbajo Narrates Stories Of 'Nigerian Swags' To Entertain Dinner Guests / “Shun Inferiority Complex” – Gov. Umahi Tells Ebonyians / Benue Governor Ortom Runs Into 150 Cows, Arrests Them For Wandering

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.