Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,252 members, 7,829,484 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:53 AM

CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication (3620 Views)

Bill Gates Commits $1.8billion To Polio Eradication / Polio Eradication / Bill Gates To Visit Nigeria Over Polio Eradication (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication by SAKUR: 3:25am On Oct 28, 2010
The chairman of United Nation’s Foundation and founder of Cable New Network (CNN), Mr Ted Turner, has donated  $1 billion towards the eradication of polio in Nigeria.

“Nigeria must keep up the fight against child killer diseases by continuing to leverage the power of modern vaccine that is key to eradicating polio and reducing measles,” he said.

He was impressed that Nigeria had reduced cases of polio by 98 per cent with only eight cases confirmed in 2010 and donated  $1 billion for the cause.

Turner, who visited the Sokoto sultanate in the Northern part Nigeria also paid a courtesy visit to Sultan, Alhaji Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar.

“With support from traditional leaders like the Sultan, we are on the verge of achieving the first great humanitarian victory of the 21st century, the complete elimination of a disease that once afflicted millions,” he said.

Polio virus spread out from Northern Nigeria in 2008 and sparked an outbreak in 17 African countries posing a major challenge to the World Health Organisation (WHO).

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/12769-cnn-founder-donates-1bn-to-nigeria-for-polio-eradication
Re: CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication by slap1(m): 11:49am On Oct 28, 2010
The money will increase the spread of polio.
Re: CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication by slap1(m): 11:55am On Oct 28, 2010
The fact is, our problem is not caused by lack of money but too much of it, hence money is thrown at problems with little care given to the fact that it may not be used judiciously. I'd rather the WHO spend the money on our behalf.
Re: CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication by Bawss1(m): 11:57am On Oct 28, 2010
Good
Re: CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication by Nobody: 12:04pm On Oct 28, 2010
he has just made some rich men richer ! well done
Re: CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication by Youngichou(m): 12:06pm On Oct 28, 2010
Haaa that money don loss!
This one na long story  
my guy for just enjoy him thing jeje
Re: CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication by Nobody: 12:08pm On Oct 28, 2010
Where's BBC ? Shame on them.
Re: CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication by Mobinga: 12:10pm On Oct 28, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Where's BBC ? Shame on them.

BBC != CNN

Figure that out!!
Re: CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication by BizBooks(m): 12:18pm On Oct 28, 2010
When I read this headline, I thought something must be wrong somewhere. The report is grossly inaccurate. Ted Turner did not donate $1 Billion dollars to Nigeria. He donated $80 Million to a foundation that fights Polio in Africa.

It seems the writer converted $80 million Dollars to Naira. In that case, he should have made it clear that it is 1 Billion Naira and not 1 Billion Dollars.

Source:

UPDATE: Ted Turner Donation Reports Incorrect
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/25/ted-turner-gives-80m-to-u_n_773707.html
Re: CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication by mrofficial(m): 12:24pm On Oct 28, 2010
Them don throw scam give CNN.
Re: CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication by BizBooks(m): 12:27pm On Oct 28, 2010
@ Moderator,

Since this story is on NL front page, please correct the title. Mistakes like these can give NL a bad name. I know the poster linked the story from the Tribune but every other news outlet in the world correctly reported the amount as 80 Million and not 1 Billion Dollars. Below are some sample headlines from Google:

Ted Turner gives $80M to UN fund for Nigeria work - BusinessWeek

Ted Turner gives $80 million to UN fund for Nigeria work

Ted Turner gives $80M to UN fund for Nigeria work

Ted Turner gives $80 million to UN fund for Nigeria work - WTVA.c

Ted Turner gives $80M to UN fund for Nigeria work | pennlive.

Ted Turner gives $80 million to UN fund for Nigeria work ,
Re: CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication by EzeUche0(m): 1:07pm On Oct 28, 2010
Northerners will still view this with suspicion. The reason why polio hasn't been eradicated in Nigeria is because of these northerners.
Re: CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication by okosodo: 1:24pm On Oct 28, 2010
Maga don pay
Re: CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication by Ayowumie(m): 1:40pm On Oct 28, 2010
At this moment in time, there is no objective and justifiable reason for such extravagant donation. 98% achievement has been recorded in eliminating the polio virus and already 68 million dollars have been pledged towards the cause. Why donating 1Billion dollars again? I think there is a hidden motive to that gesture.

Afghanistan needs that money to turn their health situation around and not Nigeria.
Re: CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication by Ayowumie(m): 1:42pm On Oct 28, 2010
BizBooks:

@ Moderator,

Since this story is on NL front page, please correct the title. Mistakes like these can give NL a bad name. I know the poster linked the story from the Tribune but every other news outlet in the world correctly reported the amount as 80 Million and not 1 Billion Dollars. Below are some sample headlines from Google:

Thank you for the update.
Re: CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication by SALady(f): 2:37pm On Oct 28, 2010
Ayowumie:

At this moment in time, there is no objective and justifiable reason for such extravagant donation. 98% achievement has been recorded in eliminating the polio virus and already 68 million dollars have been pledged towards the cause. Why donating 1Billion dollars again? I think there is a hidden motive to that gesture.

Afghanistan needs that money to turn their health situation around and not Nigeria.

mmmhhhhhh! Nice one. Makes me want to think, hard.
Re: CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication by hilli666(m): 2:39pm On Oct 28, 2010
BizBooks:

@ Moderator,

And yet the topic stills reads "CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication" Classic example of Nigrian attitude towards work.  Abeg Poster please make the necessary corrections as has been adviced.
Re: CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication by xterra2(m): 2:46pm On Oct 28, 2010
EzeUche0:

Northerners will still view this with suspicion. The reason why polio hasn't been eradicated in Nigeria is because of these northerners.
Oh no you didnt
You people hate northerners for no damn good reasons
They caused ALL nigerians problem if you like
Mtscheww
Re: CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication by banom(m): 3:02pm On Oct 28, 2010
SAKUR:

The chairman of United Nation’s Foundation and founder of Cable New Network (CNN), Mr Ted Turner, has donated $1 billion towards the eradication of polio in Nigeria.

“Nigeria must keep up the fight against child killer diseases by continuing to leverage the power of modern vaccine that is key to eradicating polio and reducing measles,” he said.

He was impressed that Nigeria had reduced cases of polio by 98 per cent with only eight cases confirmed in 2010 and donated $1 billion for the cause.

Turner, who visited the Sokoto sultanate in the Northern part Nigeria also paid a courtesy visit to Sultan, Alhaji Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar.

“With support from traditional leaders like the Sultan, we are on the verge of achieving the first great humanitarian victory of the 21st century, the complete elimination of a disease that once afflicted millions,” he said.

Polio virus spread out from Northern Nigeria in 2008 and sparked an outbreak in 17 African countries posing a major challenge to the World Health Organisation (WHO).

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/12769-cnn-founder-donates-1bn-to-nigeria-for-polio-eradication

something is disturbing me about this article, not that i am agianst Ted's 1billion dolla donation for polio eradication, but i have the following question to ask,

1, Why donating 1billion dollars to us now that we have almost eradicated polio( by 98%) why not before now ?

2, we now have only eight cases, why giving us giving us 1billion dollars, why not give it to other African countries with her cases ?

3, How much have CNN made from Nigeria since its establishment to be able to give us 1 billion dollar, did they make up to that from us ?

4, Why is the donation coming now that we are in election period ?
Re: CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication by BizBooks(m): 3:43pm On Oct 28, 2010
@ Banom,

Read my correction up thread. It is $80 Million and not $1 Billion. I know Ted Turner is super rich but I don't think he can afford to donate $1 Billion to a single cause like Polio eradication.
Re: CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication by banom(m): 3:56pm On Oct 28, 2010
BizBooks:

@ Banom,

Read my correction up thread. It is $80 Million and not $1 Billion. I know Ted Turner is super rich but I don't think he can afford to donate $1 Billion to a single cause like Polio eradication.

thank you my brother, i was just wondering what these men do take the rest of us as, perhaps idiots.
Re: CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication by EzeUche0(m): 4:01pm On Oct 28, 2010
xterra2:

Oh no you didnt
You people hate northerners for no damn good reasons
They caused ALL nigerians problem if you like
Mtscheww

I do not hate anyone. I actually admire many aspects of Hausa culture. Just saying that the reason why polio has not been eradicated, is because northern Imams tell people not to get vaccinated.

This is COMMON KNOWLEDGE. It is this backwards thinking that hasn't eradicated the disease in this country. No one in this century should be dying of a preventable disease, because of religious dogma.
Re: CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication by Mobinga: 4:59pm On Oct 28, 2010
EzeUche0:

I do not hate anyone. I actually admire many aspects of Hausa culture. Just saying that the reason why polio has not been eradicated, is because northern Imams tell people not to get vaccinated.

This is COMMON KNOWLEDGE. It is this backwards thinking that hasn't eradicated the disease in this country. No one in this century should be dying of a preventable disease, because of religious dogma.

Why don't you have sense?
Re: CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication by buzugee(m): 5:01pm On Oct 28, 2010
hmmm looks to me like they want to spread AIDS in nigeria to wipe out the population so that they can swoop in for the resources. diabolical plot if i ever saw one grin
Re: CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication by alphabet43(m): 5:26pm On Oct 28, 2010
I wonder how the money will be disbursed or are someone/people just getting richer
Re: CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication by binaflexia: 6:02pm On Oct 28, 2010
Ted Turner donated 1 billion dollars to UN, to enable them fight against diseases around the world
Re: CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication by kabukabu50(m): 6:05pm On Oct 28, 2010
buzugee:

hmmm looks to me like they want to spread AIDS in nigeria to wipe out the population so that they can swoop in for the resources. diabolical plot if i ever saw one grin

Another reason why Nigeria is a hotbed of backward mentality,sounds like what you would expect illiterate mullahs in the middle east to be sayin smileywhile Kenyans and South Africans are plowing forward with advanced development.
Re: CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication by Arghhh: 6:05pm On Oct 28, 2010
I'm really finding it hard to believe the story. $1bn is alot to donate to Nigeria alone, i think the story needs some clarification.

Arghhh
Re: CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication by buzugee(m): 6:22pm On Oct 28, 2010
kabukabu50:

Another reason why Nigeria is a hotbed of backward mentality,sounds like what you would expect illiterate mullahs in the middle east to be sayin smileywhile Kenyans and South Africans are plowing forward with advanced development.
you know the problem with suckers like you ? you are dumb enough to think that the white man wants the best for you because he loves you so much. you better go and pick up a book and read about the history of the world. you think it is a coincidence that the least promiscuous continent in the world has the most AIDS ?. CHECK THESE LINKS OUT http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_syphilis_experiment

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2010/10/nbc-us-doctors-in-1940s-experiment-injected-guatemalan-patients-with-venereal-disease-without-their-consent/1

http://www.africasia.com/archive/na/01_11/cover1.htm
Re: CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication by buzugee(m): 6:34pm On Oct 28, 2010
KABUKABU if you like make you take ya whole family for naija so una go collect the vaccine. na ya funeral be dat grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Life Expectancy In African Countries / Warm Water And Salt To Help Prevent Ebola? / Ebola Can Now Be Contacted Through Eating Banana [ Must Read ]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.