Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,816 members, 7,820,881 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:30 AM

Does Taking The Communion Break My Fast? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does Taking The Communion Break My Fast? (14545 Views)

Can The Holy Communion Break A Fast? / I Was Prevented From Receiving Holy Communion In Anglican Church Over Card / House On The Rock Communion Day Outfits: Right Or Wrong? (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Taking The Communion Break My Fast? by MrImole: 11:38am On Sep 08, 2019
What?
Re: Does Taking The Communion Break My Fast? by chocolatelady(f): 11:39am On Sep 08, 2019
Mutemenot:
Why do we often take holy communion without Wine
I guess its becos wine is more expensive and to share it requires having to bring in loads of cups to the altar to put the wine becos u cannot expect the whole congregation to use one chalice to drink the wine unlike the Holy communion that is simple to share by the Rev. Fathers. But in the case of receiving sacrament like Holy matrimony, the priest do give the couple wine to drink.

1 Like

Re: Does Taking The Communion Break My Fast? by Mutemenot(m): 12:06pm On Sep 08, 2019
chocolatelady:
I guess its becos wine is more expensive and to share it requires having to bring in loads of cups to the altar to put the wine becos u cannot expect the whole congregation to use one chalice to drink the wine unlike the Holy communion that is simple to share by the Rev. Fathers. But in the case of receiving sacrament like Holy matrimony, the priest do give the couple wine to drink.

Don't you think the reasons given above is far little to cause us denial of the wine which represent the body of Christ?

1 Like

Re: Does Taking The Communion Break My Fast? by Arthurhills: 12:11pm On Sep 08, 2019
chiommy123:
No. Rather you're obeying the lords commandment that as often as you do it you remember His death till he comes and if you do not partake you have no life in you

Is taking of communion the life the Lord Jesus meant?
Life is not in flesh, objects or things made by hands of man.
Life is in the Spirit , the Word of God in you as a substance is life brother not things that enter through the mouth.

1 Like

Re: Does Taking The Communion Break My Fast? by aigboeben(m): 1:03pm On Sep 08, 2019
mamatwiny:

There are different types of fasting. If you are engaging on dry fasting, no food , no water, however, if you have certain health issues, you should not engage in dry fast

The Jewish ppl believe in hours that is why they have fastings like 6 to 12, 6 to 3 , 6 to 6 and daily fast. It depends on the one you want to engage it, but in all, if u drink water by 5am it doesn't spoil your fasting.
@ op, holy communion doesn't spoil fasting.

I wish I can go back to the days when I was very prayerful and was actively interceeding for ppl. Then, 6 to 6 or even 21 day fasts were nothing to me, even dry fasts- 3 days, 5days.... But these days , I can't remember the last time I fasted even to 12pm. The flesh is so weak now, but I hope this topic will wake me from my slumber.
Please wake up now

1 Like

Re: Does Taking The Communion Break My Fast? by enemyofprogress: 1:22pm On Sep 08, 2019
Mutemenot:
Why do we often take holy communion without Wine
wine is too expenses in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Does Taking The Communion Break My Fast? by Mutemenot(m): 1:49pm On Sep 08, 2019
enemyofprogress:
wine is too expenses in Nigeria
In that case we aren't doing as we were instructed by Lord Jesus.
Re: Does Taking The Communion Break My Fast? by whitering: 1:51pm On Sep 08, 2019
By genuinely doing it, your soul strengthened. Bravo! You are not far from the kingdom of God .
Re: Does Taking The Communion Break My Fast? by davinking(m): 2:36pm On Sep 08, 2019
It Seems U Are A Pegan
Re: Does Taking The Communion Break My Fast? by Offpoint: 2:55pm On Sep 08, 2019
kingreign:
No, it doesn't.
Communion are spiritual exercises in Christianity. Its the breaking of bread and eating of same which signifies the body of Christ and the drinking of wine which signifies blood of Christ.
This is done in remembrance of Christ, his life and death and a spiritual union between Christ and Man.

Fasting on the other hand is the denial of pleasures, such as: food, drinks, sex, and all other form of enjoyment in seeking for God's intervention or as a form of spiritual exercise and growth.

So, in essence, while taking Communion isn't breaking of fast, it still isn't same target as fasting.
What if I'm to fast for 7 days, I take communion 3 times daily for that 7 days... am I still on track?
Re: Does Taking The Communion Break My Fast? by kingreign(m): 3:29pm On Sep 08, 2019
Offpoint:

What if I'm to fast for 7 days, I take communion 3 times daily for that 7 days... am I still on track?

Communion isn't food.
Re: Does Taking The Communion Break My Fast? by djoe21(m): 3:35pm On Sep 08, 2019
nony43:
Help a brother

The primary essence of fasting is to draw closer to God. What better way to draw closer to God than to eat His body and blood?

1 Like

Re: Does Taking The Communion Break My Fast? by Offpoint: 3:37pm On Sep 08, 2019
kingreign:

Communion isn't food.
Thanks, I guess I'll start fasting now... a little communions during that period wouldn't hurt.

I guess our stomach won't digest itgrin

Communions is food physically with a spiritual symbolism of JESUS blood and Flesh...
Re: Does Taking The Communion Break My Fast? by Sniper101(m): 3:57pm On Sep 08, 2019
wunmi590:
Capital NO.

I am a Catholic and taking the Holy communion during fasting doesn't break fast

Capital NO?
Really??

Anyway, you should know by now that when people are talking about fasting & prayers, denominations like you Catholics should say nothing.

Now, back to the issue at hand...

While fasting, and then you go ahead to partake of the Holy communion, you have indeed broken your fast.

{y'all should endeavor to read your Bible, diligently, to know better}.
Re: Does Taking The Communion Break My Fast? by MrMacinterchi1: 5:42pm On Sep 08, 2019
Sniper101:

Capital NO?
Really??

Anyway, you should know by now that when people are talking about fasting & prayers, denominations like you Catholics should say nothing.

Now, back to the issue at hand...

While fasting, and then you go ahead to partake of the Holy communion, you have indeed broken your fast.

{y'all should endeavor to read your Bible, diligently, to know better}.

It's clear that you are not a Catholic.
Fasting is not excluded to any denomination. Anyone can partake in fasting and sustain it till it ends.

And, receiving communion does not in anyway break one fasting. Period.
Re: Does Taking The Communion Break My Fast? by MrMacinterchi1: 5:45pm On Sep 08, 2019
Oga op, If after receiving holy communion during your fasting and you still ask if weather it soils your fasting, then I don't think that you know the meaning of what you received.
Re: Does Taking The Communion Break My Fast? by Naija247blog: 6:05pm On Sep 08, 2019
Hmm
All these questions are not for nairaland users to answer except there's a religious man is here
Re: Does Taking The Communion Break My Fast? by Sniper101(m): 8:03pm On Sep 08, 2019
MrMacinterchi1:

And, receiving communion does not in anyway break one fasting. Period.

Keep telling yourself that, if it makes you feel better.
Re: Does Taking The Communion Break My Fast? by MrMacinterchi1: 9:11pm On Sep 08, 2019
Sniper101:

Keep telling yourself that, if it makes you feel better.

I'm very glad that you have this thought. At least it won't be hard for you to tell yourself such. Do listen to yourself when you finally do.
it will makes you sleep well at night.
Re: Does Taking The Communion Break My Fast? by princety24(m): 9:18pm On Sep 08, 2019
Re: Does Taking The Communion Break My Fast? by Sniper101(m): 9:58pm On Sep 08, 2019
MrMacinterchi1:

I'm very glad that you have this thought. At least it won't be hard for you to tell yourself such. Do listen to yourself when you finally do.
it will makes you sleep well at night.

Are you done?
Alright.

So, just before you go off to bed tonight, just say to yourself one more time, "receiving Communion does not in any way break one fasting".
Re: Does Taking The Communion Break My Fast? by MrMacinterchi1: 10:16pm On Sep 08, 2019
Sniper101:

Are you done?
Alright.

So, just before you go off to bed tonight, just say to yourself one more time, "receiving Communion does not in any way break one fasting".

You have already said it for me, though I don't need a reminder.
Thank you for saving me the stress .
Re: Does Taking The Communion Break My Fast? by Harryase(m): 7:46am On Sep 09, 2019
Emestar1999:
If taking the Holy communion isn't food then I will be right to say biscuits isn't food too

1 Corinthians 11:27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

Unworthy: Not worthy; lacking value or merit; worthless.

The holy communion is not a meal to be taken casually like you eat biscuit or food; it's a sacred meal.
Re: Does Taking The Communion Break My Fast? by Emestar1999: 9:30pm On Sep 10, 2019
Harryase:

1 Corinthians 11:27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

Unworthy: Not worthy; lacking value or merit; worthless.

The holy communion is not a meal to be taken casually like you eat biscuit or food; it's a sacred meal.
meal is meal
Re: Does Taking The Communion Break My Fast? by Harryase(m): 12:26am On Sep 11, 2019
Emestar1999:
meal is meal
You're wrong my friend. Even aside the holy Communion you'll agree with me that some meal are special.
The holy Communion is a sacred one.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Christians Protecting Muslims During Their Prayers In Egypt / Da Vinci Code: A Lesson To Muslims / Why Are You An Atheist?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.