Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,258 members, 7,815,400 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

Why Does Transmission Fail After Towing Another Car? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Does Transmission Fail After Towing Another Car? (2561 Views)

Bike Rider Spotted Towing An 18-Seater Bus With His Motorcycle In Lagos (Video) / Car Spotted Carrying Another Car On Nigerian Road (video) / Range Rover & G-wagon Was Reduced To A Towing Vehicle (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does Transmission Fail After Towing Another Car? by olumzzz(m): 7:53am On Sep 08, 2019
Hi Car Gurus,
Please why does vehicle transmissions develop fault or fail after using it to tow another vehicle?
I have seen this happen to a friend's car and people keep saying it.
Now someone used my car to tow his and I'm getting scared.

Cc
Gazzuzz
Nurey
Radautoworks
Re: Why Does Transmission Fail After Towing Another Car? by nurey(m): 8:09am On Sep 08, 2019
olumzzz:
Hi Car Gurus,
Please why does vehicle transmissions develop fault or fail after using it to tow another vehicle?

Transmission can't fail on a car towing another vehicle except you tow far above the cargo towing capacity recommended by the manufacturer.
i have used a Corolla to tow a vehicle 3years ago and it's transmission hasn't failed.

A vehicle can have it's transmission spoilt when towed in the wrong way and that is applicable majorly to automatic transmissions. You don't tow a dead car with it's drive wheels on the floor whether it is FWD, RWD or AWD, there are laid down procedures for towing which should be adhere to as laid down by the manufacturer
Re: Why Does Transmission Fail After Towing Another Car? by diehard1: 8:10am On Sep 08, 2019
Re: Why Does Transmission Fail After Towing Another Car? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:11am On Sep 08, 2019
olumzzz:
Hi Car Gurus,

Cc
Gazzu.zz
Nu.rey
Radautow.orks

I remember when I was in the uber business, and one of my driver's said he developed transmission fault on a fresh Kia Rio Toks that he was given. I did my findings and later realised he used the vehicle to tow another and it destroyed the transmission

The size of vehicle matters and it's towing ability.

Towing another vehicle by cable or chain will present unexpected sudden load to the transmission, if you must tow, the load should be attached to vehicle with a rod or bar firmly on both sides so there is no sudden jerk.

And try not to use a Picanto to pull a danfo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does Transmission Fail After Towing Another Car? by olumzzz(m): 8:12am On Sep 08, 2019
nurey:

Transmission can't fail on a car towing another vehicle except you tow far above the cargo towing capacity recommended by the manufacturer.
i have used a Corolla to tow a vehicle 3years ago and it's transmission hasn't failed.

A vehicle can have it's transmission spoilt when towed in the wrong way and that is applicable majorly to automatic transmissions. You don't tow a dead car with it's drive wheels on the floor whether it is FWD, RWD or AWD, there are laid down procedures for towing which should be adhere to as laid down by the manufacturer
Thanks.
So are you saying recommended towing procedures is manufacturer specific and not generalized?
Re: Why Does Transmission Fail After Towing Another Car? by olumzzz(m): 8:15am On Sep 08, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

I remember when I was in the uber business, and one of my driver's said he developed transmission fault on a fresh Kia Rio Toks that he was given. I did my findings and later realised he used the vehicle to tow another and it destroyed the transmission

Towing another vehicle by cable or chain will present unexpected sudden load to the transmission, if you must tow, the load should be attached to vehicle with a rod or bar firmly on both sides so there is no sudden jerk.

Thanks.
Great piece.
I haven't even seen this used in Nigeria before.
To be specific, a Hyundai Elantra 2008 was used to tow a Toyota Camry 2005 for about 16 kilometers using the Camry's seat belt.
What are the chances of transmission failure for the Elantra?
Re: Why Does Transmission Fail After Towing Another Car? by nurey(m): 8:18am On Sep 08, 2019
olumzzz:

Thanks.
So are you saying recommended towing procedures is manufacturer specific and not generalized?

Yes, for example, some 4WD or AWD automatic vehicles can be towed with the driven wheels on the ground and gear in N, dragged at a particular speed X for certain distance Y while others can only be towed using flatbed or only rear wheels on the floor.
Re: Why Does Transmission Fail After Towing Another Car? by MrPresident1: 8:29am On Sep 08, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

GAZZUZZ, GAZZUZZ, GAZZUZZ, how many times I call you?

Protect ya skull, asteroid is coming before 30th September
Re: Why Does Transmission Fail After Towing Another Car? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:30am On Sep 08, 2019
MrPresident1:

GAZZUZZ, GAZZUZZ, GAZZUZZ, how many times I call you?

Protect ya skull, asteroid is coming before 30th September

I will dash you 7cars of your choice if it happens

4 Likes

Re: Why Does Transmission Fail After Towing Another Car? by MrPresident1: 8:38am On Sep 08, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

After the crash, the kingdom of God will be established. We no go need all these pangolo cars anymore

Me I just wanted to warn you as e be say you na my paddy grin
Re: Why Does Transmission Fail After Towing Another Car? by snipesdam(m): 8:41am On Sep 08, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

Hahaha... There is a singularity approaching our galaxy.
Re: Why Does Transmission Fail After Towing Another Car? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:48am On Sep 08, 2019
MrPresident1:

After the crash, the kingdom of God will be established. We no go need all these pangolo cars anymore

Me I just wanted to warn you as e be say you na my paddy grin

it's a win win undecided
Re: Why Does Transmission Fail After Towing Another Car? by radautoworks: 10:54am On Sep 08, 2019
olumzzz:
Hi Car Gurus,

Cc
Gazzuzz
Nurey
Radautoworks

Because they are not built for towing! Vehicles have specifications on how much weight they can handle and it's usually not the weight of another car unless it's a truck or suv. Towing needs a car with high torque at low rpms and your standard car will overwork itself.

Also, towing most luxury vehicles without using a flat bed will cause the same problem. So will towing with rope, chain, etc
Re: Why Does Transmission Fail After Towing Another Car? by radautoworks: 10:56am On Sep 08, 2019
olumzzz:

Thanks.
Great piece.
I haven't even seen this used in Nigeria before.
To be specific, a Hyundai Elantra 2008 was used to tow a Toyota Camry 2005 for about 16 kilometers using the Camry's seat belt.
What are the chances of transmission failure for the Elantra?

For one, you used a smaller car to towa bigger one so...
Re: Why Does Transmission Fail After Towing Another Car? by olumzzz(m): 11:57am On Sep 08, 2019
radautoworks:

Because they are not built for towing! Vehicles have specifications on how much weight they can handle and it's usually not the weight of another car unless it's a truck or suv. Towing needs a car with high torque at low rpms and your standard car will overwork itself.

Also, towing most luxury vehicles without using a flat bed will cause the same problem. So will towing with rope, chain, etc
Thanks.
Re: Why Does Transmission Fail After Towing Another Car? by olumzzz(m): 11:58am On Sep 08, 2019
radautoworks:

For one, you used a smaller car to towa bigger one so...
shocked
How much is a tokunbo gearbox for the said car. Make i dey find the money down.
Re: Why Does Transmission Fail After Towing Another Car? by EgunMogaji2: 12:04pm On Sep 08, 2019
The torque converter will get overheated and the clutch packs will burn out.

4 Likes

Re: Why Does Transmission Fail After Towing Another Car? by radautoworks: 12:11pm On Sep 08, 2019
olumzzz:

shocked

Sorry, we don't source tokunbo parts... Only beans new warranties parts within our corporate distribution.
Re: Why Does Transmission Fail After Towing Another Car? by olumzzz(m): 12:12pm On Sep 08, 2019
radautoworks:

Sorry, we don't source tokunbo parts... Only beans new warranties parts within our corporate distribution.
Brand new kè?
Please where is the "run" smiley?
Re: Why Does Transmission Fail After Towing Another Car? by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:18pm On Sep 08, 2019
olumzzz:

Brand new kè?

7 Likes

Re: Why Does Transmission Fail After Towing Another Car? by radautoworks: 1:27pm On Sep 08, 2019
olumzzz:

Brand new kè?

I think one of our resident meme masters had one grin

If you bring we can install but we don't source 3rd party parts because we cannot warranty then.
Re: Why Does Transmission Fail After Towing Another Car? by radautoworks: 1:27pm On Sep 08, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

E se gan grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Transmission Fail After Towing Another Car? by radautoworks: 1:38pm On Sep 08, 2019
olumzzz:

shocked

We can probably repair yours though. Would have to take it apart and see. We are a Mr. Transmission as well.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Transmission Fail After Towing Another Car? by olumzzz(m): 2:45pm On Sep 08, 2019
radautoworks:

We can probably repair yours though. Would have to take it apart and see. We are a Mr. Transmission as well.
grin
Ooh nice.
Hopefully it doesn't get to that.
Re: Why Does Transmission Fail After Towing Another Car? by adanny01(m): 5:21pm On Sep 08, 2019
I towed a 2003 Honda Civic with a 2003 Honda Acoord for a 230km journey and nothing happened 3 years now.
Re: Why Does Transmission Fail After Towing Another Car? by diportivo: 8:25pm On Sep 08, 2019
emi o mo nkan to fa gbogbo fear yii

aimoye towing.....since igba aiye alalumole sef

e get way...its either u sabi or not undecided
Re: Why Does Transmission Fail After Towing Another Car? by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:49pm On Sep 08, 2019
diportivo:
emi o mo nkan to fa gbogbo fear yii

aimoye towing.....since igba aiye alalumole sef

e get way...its either u sabi or not undecided

For them to open thread mean say them no sabi

1 Like

Re: Why Does Transmission Fail After Towing Another Car? by EngRichie: 7:00pm On Sep 09, 2019
And while you tow, some drivers in the towed vehicle match break any how tripling the load.
Re: Why Does Transmission Fail After Towing Another Car? by Sweety53: 4:19pm On Oct 30, 2020
I understand your fears quite well. I think you need to talk with those who are professional in this sphere. When you buy a vehicle, no doubts you will worry if something is wrong. Best of all would be to talk with those who are good in this sphere. You know when something is wrong with my car, I address at tow truck dublin company and I always get professional help. They provide their service 24 hours a day. It used to happen I broke down my car. Oh, I’ve had so many worries then. My friend recommended me Tow Truck Dublin and I could save my money. I think you will get answers to your questions too. I sincerely hope I could help you with my recommendation and I wish you good luck from all my heart.
Re: Why Does Transmission Fail After Towing Another Car? by dekinridoine(m): 12:29pm On Oct 31, 2020
Sweety53:
I understand your fears quite well. I think you need to talk with those who are professional in this sphere. When you buy a vehicle, no doubts you will worry if something is wrong. Best of all would be to talk with those who are good in this sphere. You know when something is wrong with my car, I address at tow truck dublin company and I always get professional help. They provide their service 24 hours a day. It used to happen I broke down my car. Oh, I’ve had so many worries then. My friend recommended me Tow Truck Dublin and I could save my money. I think you will get answers to your questions too. I sincerely hope I could help you with my recommendation and I wish you good luck from all my heart.

Absolutely agree with you! It is important to be sure in that service at whom you address. I didn't know about this company but thanks you I'll know about them now. Thanks a lot for this information.
Re: Why Does Transmission Fail After Towing Another Car? by HeavenlyBang(m): 1:28pm On Oct 31, 2020
Two werey wey dey disguise.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Please Help Between Lexus GS350 2015, Lexus Is350 2015 And The Lexus ES350 2015 / AC Compressor Low Pump; Should The Compressor Be Replaced Or Repaired? / Pros And Cons Of A Honda Pilot 2006/2007

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.